• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
naga-song1.gif
I'll keep waiting for SD's impressions on both series with baited breath

Phatmac

Does every KEY show have to have a stupid baseball game for no real reason? Man this anime is getting pretty tiresome considering I don't like any of the characters. Next week I may drop it if they keep doing the pizza sauce gag again.

phaze

So, should I watch Shimoneta.

It's got 1000 sexual innuendos per minute but before this episode, it wasn't really that visually lewd. I suppose that will change from now on.

Blade&Soul 08

Weird episode. It managed to surprise me, twice at that by
killing off both the mofu guy and what until was the final villain of the story.
Unfortunately, for such pivotal scenes, execution was a real mess with bad animation, sloppy editing or even sound effects. Shame as most of previous combat scenes was pretty decent. Wonder if they fixed it up for Blue-Ray.

Steins;Gate 11

Haha, respect to them for building up tension,
even switching to a different art style to accentuate it, just for a troll cop out.

Regardless, shit is getting real.
Glad that Makise isn't working for SERN, at least yet. You could hear pin drop during her stand off with Suzuha.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Durarara ten 4
I swear Shizuo have the best harem in this show.

Shinometa 4
HOLY SHIIIIIIIIIIIIT!
I did not expect that. I did not expect that to happen. HOLY DINGLEBERRIES!

Phatmac

Don't think an anime has gotten this close to making me want to vomit then this. WTF we're they thinking when they spun the camera around with such shitty FPS? Horrible looking episode all around but the plot thickens in a good way. Just don't ever spin the camera like that ever again please?

phaze

Steins;Gate 12
007502xssaq.png

What a twist.
I know, I'm probably not supposed to bothered by this, given that this whole time, they've been using
a magical microwave to send things to the past but transferring memories by a phone ? Really ? They were also awfully unconcerned by the sudden inexplicable connection to the SERN.

I did pick up on some more obvious things but boy did that ending came out of nowhere.
Moeka was about the last person I suspected of pulling something like this.
Great episode.

Steins;Gate 13
Am I supposed to believe that during
his first retry, Okabe managed to shake off a band of professional thugs and run back to his apartment that remained unsacked or unsupervised ? That's a big stretch of plausibility.

lol at the result of the second retry. Still no clue who or maybe what Mayuri is. And wtf is up with that clock.

Yu-Gi-Oh: 5D's 1-64

Well then, where to begin. First off... Crunchyroll subs were not that great. Some of which had some glaring errors either through incomprehensible grammar or opting for dub names at the wrong point of time (or using Ruka)

A bit surprised at the setting that we started off with. A large ghetto with what constitutes as slavery, and DUELING ON MOTORCYCLES (not the surprise bit). It didn't take long for the show to actually justify the premise though, which I thought was cool.

Character wise, there's growth for a lot of characters, although some characters also disappointed as well. We have our main character, Yusei, who was practically a silent protag making silent protag comments for a period of time before things started making him talk, otherwise he was a friendship bot who had the ability to alter cards because he had glowstick fluid on his arms. He's probably one of the cooler protags though. Jack.... is an asshole, but nowhere near to the extent that Kaiba was given the connection that he has with Yusei
and later, Crow.
. I will say that I enjoyed his growth, although it came not just because Yusei smashed his face in, but because he met Carly. His post 64 appearences are something though, which I'll get to at a different point. Given his Kingly status though, he is quite loud.

Lua and Luca....... I'm not a fan of them. Primarily Lua, because he's like the joke character that isn't funny, and unfortunately, Luca is stuck with him, so she suffers from his bad skills. I know that Luca is considered important, but they just feel so... eugh. I contemplate skipping things where they're the prominent duelist but I didn't. I just don't like that they had the most episodes for their Dark Signer fight given that it was two plot lines entertwining over 4 episodes compared to everyone's two.

Aki, who had a dicklord of a mentor, clearly had a lot to change from, and I'm rather upset that
she devolves into a cheerleader in the second season because of production issues.
. Amazingly, she had a deep voice as a child. It was unsettling and didn't feel right for many reasons. Crow being hotheaded, I find it funny that he's like main character status, despite not being a Signer for two reasons;

A) His deck was OP, and it sold well
Which was also responsible for production changes
B) He was able to drive, and Aki can't. Seriously. Him driving made him a main character in the Dark Signer arc onwards.

PlmlbqR.png
vE4Xzvo.png

Image 1) Regulus stars in this
Image 2) That Jack Atlus Love triangle.

As for the three characters, they're "minor"
Carly wasn't for Dark Signer stuff
but Ushio has quite the change, given that he treats people from Satellite like garbage until he was forced to join Yusei and saw the orphanage. It was like "Yay". Mikage, the blue haired girl, not so much. After a point, you realize she loves Jack despite being his assistant, but unlike Carly, who grows to love Jack, Mikage... feels like she doesn't really evolve, and funny enough, it feels like she regresses because of that. Because at first it was like "She was his assistant. Great". But then it's not, and it's like "GREAT! THEM SPARKS FLARING". But then you have her shouting MASTER ATLUS, when she was drowning, despite Ushio being there, and it's like... ugh. Pretty much a fangirl, despite her being like an info bot and knowing more than she probably should.

Carly had quite the development
and we see her die hitting the ground and the confession was great. TOO BAD THAT WAS DURING THE PART WHERE SHE WAS AN UNDEAD, AND SHE DOESN'T REMEMBER SHIT! Retconning some development. I hated that.
. I spent too much on this, but there was a montley crew at first, where it's like, I wouldn't expect this. But by the time Dark Signer rolls by, the main cast is what you'd expect really. Dialogue was cheesy and occasionally childish (muh friendship) but what do you expect? The music was pretty great, and FUCKING CG in places. The signature dragons are also fucking cockroaches the way they're played. Also Divine was an asshole that got retribution. Fuck him.

I will say though, the life or death matches felt like "We know the outcome", because there's no reason for us to kill them. It did take advantage of the fact that it was an anime, so it didn't have to be constrained to it, even if it's kind of silly.

I will say I did enjoy this first batch of episodes/

As for Beyond Signers

5Ds 65 to 70

New plot line because WHY THE FUCK NOT! Even though it's more like the wacky adventures of Yusei and friends after a 6 month time skip. As such we see some character changes, and the fact that Yusei's hobo crew and two jail mate friends no longer exist up to this point... actually, earlier than this. Jack seems to be hit the hardest, given that he's nowhere near as relevant, and was revealed to be a freeloader, despite them saying that he gets sponsorship. And his kingliness stunted his working abilities to the point of comedy. I mean really. 69 was practically I'M JACK ATLUS AND I DON'T GIVE A FUCK!

Dropping pebbles in water? FUCK THAT, JACK ATLUS DOES BETTER THAN THAT

jpyQhEH.png

Might as well throw a boulder. He gives no fucks about the size of his rock.

Pure unadulterated nofuckery. Even when he gets fired, HE DOESN'T GIVE A FUCK

1kLh5qz.gif

John Blade

Just finish Macross Plus the Movie. I gotta to say, this retelling of the story is much more smoother as they remove quite a bit for the filler from the OVA. This is actually not a bad thing as they're few filler which can remove as it doesn't help with the story. The Guld's death is now more done well and heroically unlike the OVA which he crash his plane on to the enemy aircraft. Also, they're new shot where Sharon's concert is flying around Macross City which look great.

Only big issue I have is the picture quality of the movie. It look like it's from VHS quality and you notice it quickly if you watch the OVA and see how beautiful it's. I guess it's Manga Entertainment issue when release this onto DVD in North America. I heard they is a Blu-ray version of the movie out in Japan but don't think it will get here in North America.

Great movie and might be the best way to watch Macross Plus. But if you want to see other filler, go watch the OVA as they're few good scene which is remove from the movie that should watch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I just thought about Shimoneta some more and realized that they used the pantsu on head thing to set up the dichotomy between Kajou and Anna.

The first time someone puts pantsu on Tanukichi's head, Kajou does it for ideological reasons:
gaNp2Mwl.jpg

And specifically, his eyes are left uncovered because she wants to open his mind to a new ideological framework that goes against his own corrupted desires for purity.
BBdlsa0l.jpg

It's interesting because his motives are completely suspect, since the only reason he wants to maintain the new social standards on sexuality is because he ultimately wants to have sex with Anna. In a way Kajou exposes him of his hypocrisy and he is able to see the truth when he admits he enjoys being a sexual terrorist later in the episode.

There's also a point to be made that Kajou specifically says that the pantsu she gives him to wear later on when he disguises himself are unworn, since as much as Kajou likes to talk about sex, her enthusiasm for sex doesn't actually translate necessarily to sexual activity.

Then you have Anna doing the same to him in the fourth episode, but for completely different reasons:
Sw6C5XLl.png

And when Anna pantsus him, she covers his eyes:
Jfb3Gn2l.png

It's an interesting dichotomy because this woman that he was interested in existed only as an ideal that he thought he wanted to based his life around. She's almost deified in his mind because his desire for her exists only in the imaginary, so when she assaults him, he's not allowed to see the corruption of his ideal. Seconds before the assault, we see him literally fall asleep reading a gravure magazine, showing that his expectations of sexuality are informed but only in a very distant and ultimately mediated form. When he has a live, naked woman in front of him, he's not allowed to see her not only because it protects his idealization of Anna, but because he's not ready to confront actual sexuality.

Anna's sexual assault is also interesting in that it reveals the consequences of a society that doesn't have sex education. Much in the same way that American Conservatives insist on abstinence as the only form of sex education that children need, this dystopian Japan in which everyone endures the gaze of a panopticon via tracking devices creates people whose understanding of love is completely skewed. Anna doesn't understand her own lust, and isn't inhibited in any way because she attributes her lust with feelings of love.

So when she declares that she is trying to make the world even purer for the sake of her love, she isn't being a hypocrite... she literally doesn't know any better. In a way, it's a lot like the sex loopholes that American children have found to avoid breaking socalled chastity promises - since losing your virginity only comes through vaginal intercourse, teens just switch to oral (or other types) of intercourse that offer similar pleasures but allow them to follow the "letter of the law". It's essentially why she chooses to blind him, so that he can't see her as she explores her own sexuality and is able to remain pure in his mind.

And again, it's interesting that the show makes a point of showing us that these are pantsu that are directly from her body, to the point where - and let's be adults here - he reacts to them being damp when she slips them over his head. If Kajou's desire for sexual awareness is idealistic and academic, then Anna's desire is pure unadulterated lust. In a way, she's actually more honest with her desires because she acts on them. Sex for her isn't a series of photographs of girls in bikinis, but actual physical contact with a full on view of Tanukichi's naked body.

We see this dichotomy between Anna and Kajou in how they react at the end of the episode. Anna is more than happy to see Tanukichi's naked form in all its glory, and only gets embarrassed when it is assumed her "love" has been exposed. Meanwhile, Kajou has a mini freak out and starts screaming once she realizes that Tanukichi is naked. Not quite the reaction you would expect from a girl who rolls around in joy when she gets to say banned words like "penis" and "vagina". For her, it's one thing to shout penis at the top of her lungs but it's quite another to actually see one in the flesh (as it were).

I think one of the reasons why I wanted to at least get this down is because I've had troubles articulating why I don't quite like the sexual/gender politics of Prison School. Like I said earlier, I'm not necessarily saying that Shimoneta is the greatest anime ever, but I find it's representation of sexual desire to at least be interesting and somewhat more nuanced - especially in light of this new episode where Anna is allowed to express herself freely.

tl;dr
Shimoneta has interesting sexual politics and I don't feel bad about liking the show. lol

Razmos

Cute High Earth Defense Club Love! Episode 1: Can I fire a beam out of this?... I CAN!
This is so meta. I love it. the show and the characters all know how ridiculous this is and just go with it. Fantastic. If it had tried to play this seriously it would be utter cringe.

I love the Overkill at the end with the loveheart mushroom cloud.

I also feel that the word love is going to mean nothing to me by the end of this series, judging by how many times they said it in this one episode.

OF COURSE THE STUDENT COUNCIL IS EVIL.

Yep, it's one of those things that typically are avoided because the low framerate used in anime (and in cinema in general). We see now why.
Try SVP?

Though actually it also fits the real 6 braves thinking, i mean now there is a fake brave, and at the same time they're tricked in the barrier which means they can't even ignore it and go fight the demon god first lol.
I would feels sick too if that happened.

John Blade

Man....I realize why I don't watch this type of anime for a long while now. So many tropes you see in teen romance anime are in this 1st episodes. Kinda remind me of Love Hina and it have the same format in the beginning with the flash back when they're young.

Still, decent introduction of the two main character. You found out a bit more of Aoi and Kaoru past when they're young. Kinda expected the surprise when Aoi found out the picture she have with this boy is the same boy who is helping her when she got stuck in the subway station. The whole Hanabishi stuff and how Kaoru threw Aoi out of his home threw me out a bit. I guess they is some bad blood with Hanabishi and Kaoru. Well, it end well and Kaoru take Aoi back to his home after an incident.

The only downside of this episode is no nipples when shown Aoi in the bathtub scene nude. Still, good episode.

Theonik

So I just learned that the recently released Prisma Illya 2wei OVA has an homage to Ping Pong the Animation in it:

Would not have expected to see a Yuasa reference in an otaku-oriented magical girl show.
Contrary to common belief, staff on these shows still have souls though their corporate overlords try to deprive them from them!

tl;dr
Shimoneta has interesting sexual politics and I don't feel bad about liking the show. lol

You see I am one of those people that avoid smut, usually Anime that uses it just uses women as objects pretty much. I'm no feminist or anything, but I'd rather see a compelling plot in which both men and women play a part without having the super-duper Otaku for some reason get loved by all the ladies. In this show we have strong women with high positions of power on both sides of this "pure society", one to help it grow and another to demolish it. Sure the show gets "down and dirty", but the way it is done works for plot reasons, and it isn't just baseless fan service. It's like you say, this is simply portraying what a sexual dystopia would be like, and we all know it would never end up well specially for teenagers lmfao. All characters in this show so far have been great.

This one is quickly becoming one of my favourite Anime this season, and I'm not even embarrassed to say it.

Razmos

Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! episodes 2 and 3:
Episode 2 was pretty meh, was more of the same really. though the reveal that the teacher is actually quite dead and is just a corpse is pretty funny.

Episode 3 was pretty hilarious, though it's one of those weird Japanese things where they treat homosexuality as either a joke or something gross. The entire thing about the show is the blatant homoeroticism and yet when it comes to actually talking about gay things it's pretty.. regressive? weird.

I like that the villainous plot of the 3rd episode was "If we turn everyone gay nobody can reproduce and the world will end in chaos!" on it's own it wouldn't be that funny, but knowing there are actual living breathing people who actually think this just makes it awfully relevant.

"Will you just get to the Love Making already?" - Wombat, speaking on behalf of the yaoi fangirls watching this show.

Jarmel

Banned
Shimoneta-4 redux
So thinking about this show, I feel it's a wonderful satire not only for Japan but also some minor stuff in the US as well. There are obvious connections you can do with Christian groups with the inclusion of chastity belts this episode but more general views of sex and women. In this episode, Anna's internal beast is unleashed and she covers Tanukichi's face because she's too embarrassed to look at him and there is something to be said about how it's embarrassing for a woman to be considered sexually aggressive in that manner. Many males can have this idealized version of women, such as expectations that they're virgins or have low numbers of sexual partners, and it can be strongly disorienting for the males when it turns out that females can indeed be just like their male counterparts. The way Tanukichi idolizes her, only for her to be just like everyone else, seems to have left a strong impression on him at the end of the episode. It should be fascinating to see his reaction to her going forward as going by the ED, he looks slightly disgusted by her. He's in love with an ideal and when confronted by the reality, he seems to shirk back. Yanderes aren't anything new but it is extremely rare though for the yandere to be the girl the lead has(had?) a crush on. For Japan this is a much more relevant issue from idol culture to waifus with otaku.
I really liked how this scene played out. She ties him up and forces him face down, as a sort of power play. It's her way of asserting dominance in this, just like she does in other facets of her life. It's kinda like a rape scene, complete with horror music, despite a few comedic lines/gags. If the genders had been reversed, this would be a very different scene. Unlike other harem leads, in that while he's confused, he also doesn't scream bloody murder and not only kisses her back but also gets a hard on. For him, this is something he's kinda wanted but not in this manner. Despite how insane the whole thing is, he has a very natural reaction.
Anna's reactions and perceptions are really fun to watch because she thinks she's expressing her love in the only ways she knows how, dominance, when in reality she's being controlled by her own body. She doesn't understand what is going on and so reinterprets everything to her own views. Her speech at the end was pretty good at summing up her deluded mindset. The lack of knowledge by the characters is not only comedic but it also makes them re-enact things through symbolism or other means. They don't know what it is, but they're still trying to get there.
m0r9Kgd.jpg

*sparkles *
She leaking down the street. She broke.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
10/10, Now I can finally justify watching this.
You should!

Is it actually a real, mass produced figure? It kinda looks like some garage-kit or something.
I have no idea, given that there's no context other than :ponpo. lol

OK, you guys convinced me to watch Shimoneta. J.C. Staff doing god-tier work on two other shows this season also helped.
As long as you know what you're getting into of course. It's still a sex comedy at its heart.

You see I am one of those people that avoid smut, usually Anime that uses it just uses women as objects pretty much. I'm no feminist or anything, but I'd rather see a compelling plot in which both men and women play a part without having the super-duper Otaku for some reason get loved by all the ladies. In this show we have strong women with high positions of power on both sides of this "pure society", one to help it grow and another to demolish it. Sure the show gets "down and dirty", but the way it is done works for plot reasons, and it isn't just baseless fan service. It's like you say, this is simply portraying what a sexual dystopia would be like, and we all know it would never end up well specially for teenagers lmfao. All characters in this show so far have been great.

This one is quickly becoming one of my favourite Anime this season, and I'm not even embarrassed to say it.
I think it's one of those things where female sexuality is typically seen as foreign and exotic, yet also has to be benign because it's not porn (although the porn in itself is extremely problematic), so it's unusual for women to express sexual desire in anime. It's why, whether or not you think it's gimmick is done, Seitokai Yakuindomo worked at least for a while. (Girls High is another one of these shows, but it focuses more on the female body than on sexuality).

The stuff with Anna is fairly well developed though, or at least the mangaka or the anime writer or whomever gave it some thought to make her more than just a sex-crazed object. Certainly it's what made the show more interesting than its initial premise anyway.

cajunator

Banned
It's got 1000 sexual innuendos per minute but before this episode, it wasn't really that visually lewd. I suppose that will change from now on.

Blade&Soul 08

Weird episode. It managed to surprise me, twice at that by
killing off both the mofu guy and what until was the final villain of the story.
Unfortunately, for such pivotal scenes, execution was a real mess with bad animation, sloppy editing or even sound effects. Shame as most of previous combat scenes was pretty decent. Wonder if they fixed it up for Blue-Ray.

Steins;Gate 11

Haha, respect to them for building up tension,
even switching to a different art style to accentuate it, just for a troll cop out.

Regardless, shit is getting real.
Glad that Makise isn't working for SERN, at least yet. You could hear pin drop during her stand off with Suzuha.

Oh man to watch Steins Gate again the first time. But if I rewatch it I will just marathon it all over again.

Steins;Gate 12

I know, I'm probably not supposed to bothered by this, given that this whole time, they've been using
a magical microwave to send things to the past but transferring memories by a phone ? Really ? They were also awfully unconcerned by the sudden inexplicable connection to the SERN.

I did pick up on some more obvious things but boy did that ending came out of nowhere.
Moeka was about the last person I suspected of pulling something like this.
Great episode.

Steins;Gate 13

Am I supposed to believe that during
his first retry, Okabe managed to shake off a band of professional thugs and run back to his apartment that remained unsacked or unsupervised ? That's a big stretch of plausibility.

lol at the result of the second retry. Still no clue who or maybe what Mayuri is. And wtf is up with that clock.

All I can say, keep note of the little details because they all become hugely relevant.

Speaking of macross

16285600830_46c5f24cb6_b.jpg

That is horrific and why does the plane look like a plushie? I had that plane toy when I was a kid.

Jarmel

Banned
Shimoneta also loves to use symbolism, not just for the sexual jokes.
This sequence has Anna being near a fire and the fire's glow being on her. That's symbolic not only for her fire being lit emotionally but also physically in regards to her hormones.
This episode also repeatedly used warm colors for her. Another example is the finale scene.

cajunator

Banned
Shimoneta also loves to use symbolism, not just for the sexual jokes.

This sequence has Anna being near a fire and the fire's glow being on her. That's symbolic not only for her fire being lit emotionally but also physically in regards to her hormones.

This episode also repeatedly used warm colors for her. Another example is the finale scene.

That is the look of a future yandere.

Shimoneta-4 redux
*snip*

I really liked how this scene played out. She ties him up and forces him face down, as a sort of power play. It's her way of asserting dominance in this, just like she does in other facets of her life. It's kinda like a rape scene, complete with horror music, despite a few comedic lines/gags. If the genders had been reversed, this would be a very different scene. Unlike other harem leads, in that while he's confused, he also doesn't scream bloody murder and not only kisses her back but also gets a hard on. For him, this is something he's kinda wanted but not in this manner. Despite how insane the whole thing is, he has a very natural reaction.

*snip*

Well an erection has just about nothing to do with consenting though. I don't think you want to imply otherwise but the wording is a bit shoddy imo.

"If the genders had been reversed, this would be a very different scene."

Similarly, I'm not quite sure what you're implying. Do you mean people would feel it were wrong the other way around when switching the roles doesn't matter in actuality. Or are you saying that it would be wrong and should (potentially) be considered rape only the other way round. I'd assume and hope it's the former.

Btw. the entire consent discussion has a lot of aspects to it and I'm definitely not among the crowd that would always require voiced (or heck written down *eyeroll*) consent before engaging in anything. There's a certain sequence in Katawa Shoujo
with Shizune, Hisao and a chair
that created a lot of discussion around that topic, especially because of this "what would people think if you reverse the roles" line of thought. That scene, while a bit of a grey area, did portray pretty clear consent in my and many others' eyes (author's too). This one from Shimoneta seems more questionable though, especially for how forceful that girl is. not even giving the guy a chance to convey any bit of consent until she's already halfway into it.

Haven't seen much of the show though. These kinds of scenes are kinda difficult to pull of and can easily show whether a show is well written and directed if they can walk the fine line graciously. The trailers and what little I have seen did not led me to believe it would be anything to take serious and rather one of the many smutty (here rather vulgar I guess) shows this summer. Not sure if I should give it a try too when many of you seem to like it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well an erection has just about nothing to do with consenting though. I don't think you want to imply otherwise but the wording is a bit shoddy imo.

"If the genders had been reversed, this would be a very different scene."

Similarly, I'm not quite sure what you're implying. Do you mean people would feel it were wrong the other way around when switching the roles doesn't matter in actuality. Or are you saying that it would be wrong and should (potentially) be considered rape only the other way round. I'd assume and hope it's the former.

Btw. the entire consent discussion has a lot of aspects to it and I'm definitely not among the crowd that would always require voiced (or heck written down *eyeroll*) consent before engaging in anything. There's a certain sequence in Katawa Shoujo
with Shizune, Hisao and a chair
that created a lot of discussion around that topic, especially because of this "what would people think if you reverse the roles" line of thought. That scene, while a bit of a grey area, did portray pretty clear consent in my and many others' eyes (author's too). This one from Shimoneta seems more questionable though, especially for how forceful that girl is. not even giving the guy a chance to convey any bit of consent until she's already halfway into it.

Haven't seen much of the show though. These kinds of scenes are kinda difficult to pull of and can easily show whether a show is well written and directed if they can walk the fine line graciously. The trailers and what little I have seen did not led me to believe it would be anything to take serious and rather one of the many smutty (here rather vulgar I guess) shows this summer. Not sure if I should give it a try too when many of you seem to like it.

It's non-consensual assault, but the thing that excuses Anna is that she is literally not of sound mind because she can't process the hormones rushing through her body. The fact that she doesn't even know what a penis is makes her seem like a child who is playing doctor than a person with a premeditated plan.

It's not like, say, the Louis CK episode where Melissa Leo's character basically rapes Louis in her car.

e_i

Shimoneta episode 4

Umm, when Anna is walking home at the end,
what's the trail of stuff she's leaving behind?

Ewewewewewewewew!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom