• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not clicking that spoilers link or quoting you. But I appreciate the inevitable compliments that are surely lurking below the serenity of that white box nonetheless.

Cornbread78

Yeah, these two are totally different shows. I havent seen HSoTD but I assume its full of fan service based on the pics I saw. I like how Gakkou Gurashi doesn't focus much on the action part and more on the characters and how they deal with this new world of theirs.

Yeah, very similar story, two complete opposites in the presentation and tone. Plus guns and men, lol.

The fanservice was the whole point of High School of the Dead. It was wonderful.

Yup, only 4 episodes left so when at they actually going to go at it? I mean, who cares that he completely bashes her boyfriends skull in a few houses earlier, lol.

NaQWSqJ.jpg

The brown sadist has finally joined the cast.

nlgyQKm.jpg

Now they don't have any excuses to not adapt that chapter into an episode/OVA.

Gakkou Gurashi 04 (finished it now)

Right, so there are a few things I want to mention about this episode, and again they're mostly to do with Megu-nee.

I feel like Yuki
has a split personality and is playing the role of herself and of Megu-nee. Maybe she has zombie Megu-nee tied up somewhere in the school.

Nisemonogatari 10

Shinobu and her love for donuts is just amazing. To think vampires love donuts.

Bases Kaiki shows up again. He tells Araragi about the exorcists and how they are hunting down something supernatural. Also damn Araragi went range mode when they screwed with his sister. So it seems Tsukihi has been pretending to be sister and somehow actually isn't. She has the Evil Phoenix in her.

javac

New UK Box-art:
Manga Entertainment
Yu-Gi-Oh! Complete Season 3
Release Date: 5th October
Run Time: 987 min
Format: DVD
wjb1z8X.jpg

Naruto Shippūden Movie 6: Road to Ninja
Release Date: 12th October
Run Time: 109 min
Format: BD, DVD
iURcHjV.jpg

One Piece: Collection 12
Release Date: 26th October
Run Time: 600 min
mfSZ2iw.jpg

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F
Run Time:
eh4Hh1x.jpg

Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods / Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection F
Run Time:
lVf8SCb.jpg

Danganronpa: The Animation - Complete Series
Release Date: 9th November
Run Time:
Clw3akz.jpg

Dragon Ball Z Kai Complete Season 3
Release Date: 9th November
Run Time: 625 min
3PwfJ2d.jpg

Yu-Gi-Oh! Complete Season 4
Release Date: 23rd November
Run Time: 880 min
SdKC5pK.jpg

Ghost In The Shell: Arise Parts 3 & 4
Release Date: 30th November
Run Time: 116 min
eEgfXZz.jpg

The Last: Naruto the Movie
Release Date: 21st December
Run Time: 112 min
QILX4On.jpg

Animatsu Entertainment
Samurai Jam - Bakumatsu Rock: Complete Series
Release Date: 19th October
Run Time: 300 min
4Uz9Y8A.jpg

Blade & Soul: Complete Collection
Release Date: 16th November
Run Time: 325 min
GrGCMCz.jpg

Black Bullet: Complete Collection
Release Date: 7th December
dW7pYTg.jpg

Beyond the Boundary: Complete Series
Release Date: 14th December
XaUqVBp.jpg

Chaika - The Coffin Princess: Complete Collection
Run Time:
x00Gola.jpg

KAZE
Bleach - Complete Series 14
Release Date: 21st September
leARQF4.jpg

Magi: The Kingdom of Magic - Season 2, Part 1
Release Date: 5th October
Run Time:
XeLPd6X.jpg

osmIRYk.jpg

Mirai Nikki: Future Diary - Part 1
Release Date: 12th October
Run Time:
8cz9MDM.jpg

Coppelion - Complete Series
Release Date: 2nd November
Run Time: 312 min
S4bgwlw.jpg

World Conquest Zvezda Plot - Complete Series
Release Date: 2nd November
39D2Ptt.jpg

Bleach - Complete Series 15
Release Date:
xB3w1gf.jpg

javac

edit: WHOA WHOA WHOA did Texhnolyze always have this kick-ass OP?

Texhnolyze is GOAT but I've never been as infatuated with the OP as a lot of people seem to be, but it is cool. The soundtrack in general for Texhnolyze is amazing however. I wrote a little bit about the OST here As you can see, my opinion of the OST is high. Great show.

they god damn localize KnK and still no Hyouka?

Two different licensors. There's likely an issue with Kadokawa being very picky about who they'll accept money from for Nichijou/Hyouka (combined with catalog titles not streaming as well as newer titles, which is where a lot of money is). Beyond the Boundary is TBS (as is Air, Kanon, Clannad/After Story, K-On!, Chunibyo, and Tamako), so TBS is willing to distribute to other countries more easily than Kadokawa is for their top-tier titles.

It's not as simple as "This show is from KyoAni. That show is from KyoAni. Why isn't one licensed?"

javac

How can you not love it?

Motherfucker it's anime Batman Beyond OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVdTbiLku48

I see the resemblance haha. Yeah it is a cool OP but I guess for me the biggest impact is the juxtaposition between it (the OP) and the actual show itself, which is to say that the series itself is very quiet, timid and somber in comparison. It's a great show, one of my favorites in fact. I take it you've just started it? Hope you enjoy it! Also, it's Batman of The Future in the UK :p

javac

Heh, I gave up on the first episode since I thought it was very boring. But I plan on going back since my taste have evolved since then and I didn't give the show time to convince me.

Hah I loved the first episode. I remember sitting there in the dark at 4am as the credits rolled and I just had some existential crisis. It just really pulled me in and immersed me in this world, man they don't make series like that anymore do they? Texhnolyze is amazing, everyone should watch it.

John Blade

Man...watching You're Under Arrest season 2 feel great. Might be my guilty pleasure of anime as of now after going through Ai Yori Aoshi.

For anime Gaf here, of those three anime, rank which anime I should watch next in order.

Wolf's Rain
Ghost Stories
Macross: Do You Remember Love?

Animator Expo 25 - Hammerhead

As a piece of animation this is superb. It's extremely violent, with the gore realized in loving, excruciating detail. Destruction, debris, blood, and most disturbing the human body being ripped apart to its innards is painstakingly animated in all the scattered motion of their little pieces. A vividly realized visual vision.

As a piece of storytelling it's less successful. There's an interesting idea at the core of Hammerhead - using a regenerating superhero to explore nihilism - but it doesn't do a good enough job in its short time frame of drawing us into the pain of the central characters so it feels emotionally detached despite the intense emotion the visuals are trying to convey. The decision to have the majority of the short accompanied by monotone voiceover narration means that the events and concepts are being described at us instead of organically happening on screen. I think this story idea would be much better served in a longer format; there's too much to get through for 8 minutes to be enough to drive the feelings home.

Still, it's well worth watching if you can tolerate the intense violence. I'd be happy to see this expanded on some day, though it'll probably never happen.

For Aoi issue you have, it's what they think a perfect woman suppose to be in a man life. Like I say in my previous post (in one of the quick impression of the show), it feel weird at the time they're in. Like everyone is in college or university or her caretaker is working but for Aoi, she didn't go to school and just stay at home, taking care of the place. I might understand if she is much older (like over 30 years old) but at around 16 years old, it feel weird for me. Also, the idea of the perfect woman will always be sexist for most people as it feel like the woman (Aoi) have limited freedom of what they do in life and have to please everyone else and also her husband.
Yeah, I think you're right about most of this. The points about her and education or work are a good one, I'd kind of forgotten about that -- it's been a long time since I watched this show. The difference between Aoi, who doesn't have much education and does nothing other than keep house, and all of the other characters couldn't be much more stark. I would say, though, that the idea of the "perfect woman" would only be sexist for those whose idea of such a person is as backwards as this show's is. And not everyone feels as that show does, certainly.

It feel like the reason she was born in this world is to please her future husband.
That's pretty much the definition of a very old-fashioned and incredibly sexist concept of what women should be, yes. That the series actually presents that kind of person as the ideal woman is disturbing. I know that Japan is more sexist than any Western first-world nations, but a show like this is a reminder of that...

On the other hand, you can stay been a perfect woman isn't sexist and also show how strong the woman is to the audience. I won't say this for Aoi but one that kinda push this button is Belldandy from Ah My Goddess. She you can say is someone who try to be a perfect woman but at the same time have a strong personalities of what is good and bad and want to help people who she meet.

Still, it won't make this show even better and I have season 2 to watch after this. Man...
Ugh, Belldandy... I haven't seen anything else of the franchise, but the Ah My Goddess '90s OVA series and movie are another thing I watched, and hated, back in the early '00s. For one thing, I know they tried to excuse it away with a "but they met as children!", but the fact is, he said 'my wish is for you to fall in love with me'... so is anything she feels for him actually real? I was never sure, and that's super disturbing. And even beyond that, it was a bad series. The movie was better than the pretty bad OVAs, but it still wasn't good. I haven't seen anything more modern in the franchise.

(Oh, on the other hand, I love Love Hina, the anime! Great series, it's one of my favorite harem animes ever... just as long as I ignore Again, that wasn't so good (but then again nor was most of the second half of the manga, either.). But the first season is great.

It is a really awkward setup but I dont see it the way you did obviously. Aoi really did fall for him and it felt pretty genuine, despite the initial setup. a LOT more genuine than Love Hina.
That's nonsense, she didn't just "fall for him". She's a character in a story, not a real person. She was written as an "ideal woman", and the INCREDIBLY retrograde concept of "ideal" they use means loyal, happy to be treated like an object (arranged marriage), uninterested in being her own person (by her own admission her entire personality is shaped around what HE wants from the ideal woman), uninterested in education (nothing past high school, if she even went to school at all), uninterested in work (beyond cleaning up the house)... and more. She is one of the most obnoxiously backwards female leads in modern anime. I hate Aoi Yori Aoshi, it's horrible. It deserves the 2/10 rating I gave it on MAL some time back.

Well, jury is still out on Charlotte, been pretty mediocre so far but a something is being promised for episode 6.

Yeah. Its been just average so far. The first episode was pretty great though, just has been kinda ok since.

Episode 6 better be a megaton.

As a piece of storytelling it's less successful. There's an interesting idea at the core of Hammerhead - using a regenerating superhero to explore nihilism - but it doesn't do a good enough job in its short time frame of drawing us into the pain of the central characters so it feels emotionally detached despite the intense emotion the visuals are trying to convey. The decision to have the majority of the short accompanied by monotone voiceover narration means that the events and concepts are being described at us instead of organically happening on screen. I think this story idea would be much better served in a longer format; there's too much to get through for 8 minutes to be enough to drive the feelings home.

Thats always been the weakness of the projects. I like the idea of Hammerhead's story but telling it in 8 minutes is not feasible.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
A question for anyone who watches The Walking Dead or Fallen Skies or any other post apocalyptic show that features teenagers/kids. Why is it that live action kids in these shows are almost always terrible, but the characters in School Live seem fine? Is it because of the reliance on anime tropes that serves as a distraction? Or just the cognitive dissonance of it being a cartoon? Or just being able to use adult actors to voice kid roles (I guess much like Ellie from The Last of Us).

Somehow School Live 4 ended up being more compelling than your bog standard Rick goes crazy episode despite featuring a cast of what are essentially moe school girls.

jgminto

A question for anyone who watches The Walking Dead or Fallen Skies or any other post apocalyptic show that features teenagers/kids. Why is it that live action kids in these shows are almost always terrible, but the characters in School Live seem fine? Is it because of the reliance on anime tropes that serves as a distraction? Or just the cognitive dissonance of it being a cartoon? Or just being able to use adult actors to voice kid roles (I guess much like Ellie from The Last of Us).

Somehow School Live 4 ended up being more compelling than your bog standard Rick goes crazy episode despite featuring a cast of what are essentially moe school girls.

Child actors ruin 95% of the shows they're in.

cajunator

Banned
Esdeath is obviously best girl. If I finish Akame ga Kill and they aren't together or both dead, then I'm done with anime. xD

You have exquisite taste

The brown sadist has finally joined the cast.

nlgyQKm.jpg

Now they don't have any excuses to not adapt that chapter into an episode/OVA.

Hmm. She reminds me of Kurumi. I like that a lot!

FUCK

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

YES

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS-

PRAISE BE.

There is hope for him yet.

I really admire your boundless enthusiasm.

So what's good this season.

Give it to me.

I can vouch for:

Ushio and Tora
Teekyuu S5
Shokugeki no Soma
Sore ga Seiyuu

Man...watching You're Under Arrest season 2 feel great. Might be my guilty pleasure of anime as of now after going through Ai Yori Aoshi.

For anime Gaf here, of those three anime, rank which anime I should watch next in order.

Wolf's Rain
Ghost Stories
Macross: Do You Remember Love?

I've only seen Wolf's Rain out of those, but that's a highly unique, moody, and powerful TV series which should be a high priority for everyone to watch. The final four episodes make up one of the best TV endings I've ever seen.

Thats always been the weakness of the projects. I like the idea of Hammerhead's story but telling it in 8 minutes is not feasible.

Some of the Animator Expo shorts have been able to express a complete idea - both of Maeda's prior shorts, 20 Minutes Walk from Nishi-Ogikubo Station and Kanon, did this. But it's true that quite a few of the shorts have felt like proof-of-concept pilots for a longer project. It's great seeing so much creativity and variety on display in the project, but it does feel like a bit of a waste when you see these interesting ideas that are begging for extended treatment but will likely never see such and will just languish as forgotten oddities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom