• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

jman2050

Speaking of openings, I take it nobody here skips them? I've never skipped one and never will, same goes for the ED and even the "Next Time!" stinger at the end, I just can't. They probably rack up a lot of hours of screen-time over the course of many series but still it's integral to the experience damn it! A lot of people skip em, those people disgust me.

If it's good I'll watch it, if it's not I skip it. Nothing complicated.

Also those girls have eggs on their heads.

Something something fertility something symbolism something.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Speaking of openings, I take it nobody here skips them? I've never skipped one and never will, same goes for the ED and even the "Next Time!" stinger at the end, I just can't. They probably rack up a lot of hours of screen-time over the course of many series but still it's integral to the experience damn it! A lot of people skip em, those people disgust me.

My rule is I watch them in the first and last episode. Rewatching them all the time can ruin it.

cajunator

Banned
How come I never heard this. I'm sad I didn't know about this.

your true life begins now!
I cant believe you hadnt heard this musical perfection before.

Depends on series really. I will never ever again watch Golden Time's second opening for example.

Phatmac

I usually listen to them once to see if I like them. If I don't I'll just skip it. But if it's catchy then I'll usually listen to it fully.

javac

You have never decided to rewatch the entirety of One Piece.
Okay, I can understand long series like that I guess haha, I'd still watch them the first round through at least!

If it's good I'll watch it, if it's not I skip it. Nothing complicated.

Depends on series really. I will never ever again watch Golden Time's second opening for example.

I usually listen to them once to see if I like them. If I don't I'll just skip it. But if it's catchy then I'll usually listen to it fully.

I watch them all, even the bad ones! Actually, to be honest I can't remember a show I've seen where I hated the OP, I like most of them and in fact I'll actually watch the OP on YouTube for a show first and foremost in order to gauge if I want to watch the show or not, which is weird because its just a little music video but hey it works for me! So I guess if I don't like the OP, I general don't care to watch the show. Man...it sounds weird but it works for me, of course I take more into consideration like genre and I have to actually be interested enough to actually go seek it out in the first place and be proactive which means that it has my attention as is, but I generally have an iron fist approach. Don't like the look of something at first glance? I won't watch it. In the end, the results are there and I'd like to think that I watch some good stuff!

javac

My rule is I watch them in the first and last episode. Rewatching them all the time can ruin it.

I guess it becomes a routine for me. I really like listening to them each and every episode. Good memories. I'll associate the OP/ED song with the show so whenever I listen to say Midnight Blue, I get those Patlabor good feels and I'd (try) to sing along to Driver's High when watching GTO. The last OP and ED for a series is always emotional for me. I can listen to them whenever, but it still feels like the last time T_T

hCaf8KH.png
HCpRQAu.png

kMx6DXo.png

Oh geez.

Between nearly having my heart give out from Suu's cuteness overload.

And hearing the preview for Cerea's character songs.

I am one happy Monster Musume fan.

Honestly the only Opening I completely skipped was Code Geass's Second Opening. That Opening was completely terrible. The singer's voice was cracking and I just couldn't stand it especially when I came from the first opening Colors by Flow which was amazing.

It's shit.

Just watched madoka Rebellion

( for the 3rd time )

Such a great film, still love it like it was the first time.

Homura is such a great character

Saudades

I mostly skip the OPs and EDs if they are bad or just okay - don't want to waste much time on those. Sometimes they are good enough (both video and song) that I always watch them (like Death Parade's OP or Brave Shine's chorus, or Texh's OP).
Previews I always watch when I'm watching weekly series, but I always skip them on marathons unless they have some cool gimmick. What's the point of watching spoilers for something I'd watch right after anyway? In fact I never knew about the "There is xxx day left till Earth's destruction" thing in Yamato 2199 until someone here point it out to me.

cajunator

Banned
kMx6DXo.png

Oh geez.

Between nearly having my heart give out from Suu's cuteness overload.

And hearing the preview for Cerea's character songs.

I am one happy Monster Musume fan.

Lol. Suu is the greatest!

I mostly skip the OPs and EDs if they are bad or just okay - don't want to waste much time on those. Sometimes they are good enough (both video and song) that I always watch them (like Death Parade's OP or Brave Shine's chorus, or Texh's OP).
Previews I always watch when I'm watching weekly series, but I always skip them on marathons unless they have some cool gimmick. What's the point of watching spoilers for something I'd watch right after anyway? In fact I never knew about the "There is xxx day left till Earth's destruction" thing in Yamato 2199 until someone here point it out to me.

For me its just how engaging the OP is. A lot of shows have fun upbeat music, but if the music is generic jrock then I usually skip it. It needs to be either beautiful or catchy.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Depend on the op. This season i'm skipping sore ga seiyuu, overlord op. For some reason i can't stand them

I wish at the end of Akame ga Kill that when
Esdeath and Tatsumi were covered in ice that it had just stayed that way. A symbol of permanence to echo the idea that Esdeath could never quit loving Tatsumi even after his "loss" to the Emperor or even to show that their deeds would outlive them. I'm sure the shattering is meant to be representative of something as well but it's not coming to me right now.

javac

There's a lot of shit OP/ED but I guess the shows I watch all have good ones haha. I just find them a part of the whole viewing experience. Some of the Ending are very much integral to the experience and elevate the show.

Saudades

Honestly the only Opening I completely skipped was Code Geass's Second Opening. That Opening was completely terrible. The singer's voice was cracking and I just couldn't stand it especially when I came from the first opening Colors by Flow which was amazing.
I didn't like any of Code Geass R1&R2 theme songs except for the ones by Flow. They are just either bad or forgettable
or made by Ali Project
compared to JIBUN WOOO.

duckroll

Caught up on the Animator Expo shorts backlog.

Dairy of Ochibi
Pretty cute. I love non-traditional forms of animation getting a showcase on these shorts as well. There isn't much to it but it was fun and cute.

I can Friday by day!
Crazy fun with fantastic art and colors. One of the better and more energetic takes on "this cute girl is really an alien battleship" concepts. Loved the song too.

Ibuseki Yoruni
No idea wtf I watched here. It was pretty compelling in terms of how arresting the visuals and style is, but it's hard to really understand what they are fully going for other the vague themes of female manipulation of powerful/driven men, bad politics all around, false hope in freedom and democracy, cult of personality, etc. Felt like a 2 hour film condensed into a 10 minute short.

Memoirs of Amorous Gentlemen
Felt like an ad for a manga series or something. Which I suppose it is. Covers the basic outline of the characters but doesn't really go anywhere with it. Too much abuse for my liking.

Rapid Rouge
Really solid CG work with fantastic shading. The style they're going for fits the lighting work really well too. It's a decent sort of pilot setup for a potential longer series, but the theme of violence supposedly not being the answer to peace in a short where the most entertaining parts are violent action is kinda lol.

javac

Still not seen any of the Animator Expo shorts outside of two, I'm liking this backlog that I've accumulated <_< I love shorts, the best thing to 'happen' to anime.

Risette

A Good Citizen

if the opening is good i'll watch it, but if the staff didn't care about it then neither do I. there are lots of OPs that are just crappy clip shows with a bad song advertisement. G-Reco comes to mind recently.

Rainy

Banned
I guess you're on my list as well.

i just like senjougahara a lot more!

i will almost always skip them unless i really really like them.

Mandelbo

Yeah I forgot to mention this but holy fuck is Platinum Disco (second Opening of Nisemonogatari) mesmerizing as fuck. My eyes were glued to the screen and I never skipped it once, it's just that good. It's GOAT.

Those hands I'm telling you.

Having just watched it, the animation is pretty good, but the music didn't really do much for me unfortunately.

javac

if the opening is good i'll watch it, but if the staff didn't care about it then neither do I. there are lots of OPs that are just crappy clip shows with a bad song advertisement. G-Reco comes to mind recently.

i will almost always skip them unless i really really like them.
Yeah bad OP's exist and they suck no doubt, I guess I rarely if ever come across them. Sounds like I'm either idealistic or I have bad taste / or deaf but I'm telling the truth! :p

Wait a damned minute....
Chaika, Danganronpa, Black Bullet...
Is the US getting these too?
Sentai have Chaika and Black Bullet which is out on October 27, 2015 while FUNimation have Danganronpa.

Game of Laplace 5

Does probation not exist in Japan or something? How can dangerous criminals (including a guy that kidnaps little girls, crushes their bodies and turns them into cement walls) be let free with absolutely no monitoring?

This definitely doesn't make me see Kagami as in the wrong if the system is that fundamentally broken.

Sterok

Aikatsu 72-73

The big competition is here. Johnny gets some proper respect for once. These episodes make it clear that no matter how much individual Dream students may succeed, the school as a whole is still chasing Starlight, which puts them behind. Doesn't help that Dream lost its trump card. Speaking of Mizuki, she got a new partner? Hikari continues to appear without doing anything. I'm almost being amused at the excuses for Shion not getting a dance. Yurika hasn't gotten one yet this season either. Oh Otome. I think I can tell why Ichigo and Aoi tended to get assigned big moments instead of her. How does Otome, the Starlight Queen and face of the school, think she can go without an appearance at all? I don't want to say she doesn't have any responsibility, since she was helping people out, but an idol's job is to be out in front of people inspiring them directly. She's not the brightest, but even she should know that. Starlight has other people to take care of the minor jobs, but Otome is the only one who can be the Starlight Queen right now. Hopefully Sakura does a better job of it, assuming she becomes Queen by default. I guess Dream Star is the new Star Anis. Will is just be those 8, or will they come up with some other creative excuse to keep Shion out?

Since Mizuki made an appearance, I need to rant about something. She did a horrible thing disappearing like that when she did. She can't just do that on when she's so important and central to so much. Except apparently she's perfectly fine screwing everyone depending on her over. She's the face and guiding light of Starlight Academy? They're not important to her. The fans she says she performs for? Sure, just disappear and disappoint them without any sort of explanation. What about her support staff like Tsukikage? Looks like they have to find a new job. Everything about Tristar? They were supposed to have gigs for years, and that probably messed up lots of upcoming recordings and commercials. Yurika was a key part in Mizuki's plans, but she got dumped fast. And Kaede literally moved to a different country, jumped out of a plane, climbed the Grand Canyon, and got shot at by a battleship all for her. Not to mention all the advertising she did while Mizuki was dilly-dallying on a failed audition. Everyone tossed aside for her own selfish whims. And the rival school she helped start up (because Starlight apparently wasn't good enough for her) was probably hurt when she suddenly bailed on them. Great idol.

Basically I'm saying I don't like Mizuki. Luckily for her and everyone else the show is so sugary there are no consequences to anything, but I do want Yurika and Kaede to confront her about that. Ichigo may have pulled the same stunt, but at least she kind of talked it over first and was open about what she was doing. Plus a lot fewer people were depending on her.

A question for anyone who watches The Walking Dead or Fallen Skies or any other post apocalyptic show that features teenagers/kids. Why is it that live action kids in these shows are almost always terrible, but the characters in School Live seem fine? Is it because of the reliance on anime tropes that serves as a distraction? Or just the cognitive dissonance of it being a cartoon? Or just being able to use adult actors to voice kid roles (I guess much like Ellie from The Last of Us).

Somehow School Live 4 ended up being more compelling than your bog standard Rick goes crazy episode despite featuring a cast of what are essentially moe school girls.

Probably because there's no CORAL in School Live.

Theses are all correct. Don't forget Shimoneta, Rokka and Prison School.

Rokka I still have to catch up on. Prison School is great. Shimoneta though. Wasnt my type of show to begin with but after watching the MC get raped the last episode, I have zero interest watching any more of it :/

cajunator

Banned
Yeah bad OP's exist and they suck no doubt, I guess I rarely if ever come across them. Sounds like I'm either idealistic or I have bad taste / or deaf but I'm telling the truth! :p

Sentai have Chaika and Black Bullet which is out on October 27, 2015 while FUNimation have Danganronpa.

Wait, that soon? I cant find Chaika to order.

John Blade

Yeah, I think you're right about most of this. The points about her and education or work are a good one, I'd kind of forgotten about that -- it's been a long time since I watched this show. The difference between Aoi, who doesn't have much education and does nothing other than keep house, and all of the other characters couldn't be much more stark. I would say, though, that the idea of the "perfect woman" would only be sexist for those whose idea of such a person is as backwards as this show's is. And not everyone feels as that show does, certainly.
To me," perfect woman" will always be something people will discuss and people will challenge the idea of it and will continue until the end of time . From my point of view, it's okay to dream what a perfect woman is and how it will affect you in real life if you actually have a woman who is the ideal of perfect to the person.

That's pretty much the definition of a very old-fashioned and incredibly sexist concept of what women should be, yes. That the series actually presents that kind of person as the ideal woman is disturbing. I know that Japan is more sexist than any Western first-world nations, but a show like this is a reminder of that...
But what define a perfect woman to a person is different based on each people opinion. You can say, if you ask 10 male what is their perfect woman if they can have it, most likely all the 10 male have a different point of view of what their think a perfect woman is.
The cause of their opinion to be different can range from where their live, culture, education, religion, entertainment culture, etc.

For me, when the people make Ai Yori Aoshi, I guess the creator expectation of a perfect woman for Aoi is based on Japanese culture and expectation of what the woman suppose to be in the life with her husband. You can say it's a culture shock for the people who watch it here in North America but remember, this show was made in Japan for Japanese audience. If we made this show in North America and didn't change anything on the main female character, then yea, they will be complain of this show as been sexist.

Ugh, Belldandy... I haven't seen anything else of the franchise, but the Ah My Goddess '90s OVA series and movie are another thing I watched, and hated, back in the early '00s. For one thing, I know they tried to excuse it away with a "but they met as children!", but the fact is, he said 'my wish is for you to fall in love with me'... so is anything she feels for him actually real? I was never sure, and that's super disturbing. And even beyond that, it was a bad series. The movie was better than the pretty bad OVAs, but it still wasn't good. I haven't seen anything more modern in the franchise.

(Oh, on the other hand, I love Love Hina, the anime! Great series, it's one of my favorite harem animes ever... just as long as I ignore Again, that wasn't so good (but then again nor was most of the second half of the manga, either.). But the first season is great.
For Belldandy in Ah My Goddess!, I am basing on the TV series which I watch and own. In the TV series, Belldandy is shown as someone who have a strong personality who want to help people in need while at the same time, like to bring happiness to people. This is even true when she is with the main male character in the show, Keiichi. Also, at the same time try to be the perfect woman in a way. I don't want to write a huge explanation of Belldandy but I will quote a wiki about her character and what the audience think about her.

The character of Belldandy was generally well received and has a large number of fans, as evidenced when she was voted the second most popular female character in a 2001 poll in Newtype Japan.[4] In addition, Belldandy topped the Animage character polls for many months and was placed third on the all time Best Character list at the 17th Anime Grand Prix held in 1993.[5] Nevertheless, as reviewer Zac Bertschy described the situation: "People tend to go either way on the Belldandy character; either she's an obnoxious, archaic fantasy girl for men who prefer their women to act like indentured servants, or she's the archetype of perfection, a flawless example of graceful femininity".[10]

The critique that Belldandy represents a negative stereotype of women, placing them in a subservient role to men, appears a number of times in the literature. Annalee Newitz states that the manner in which Belldandy is portrayed in the series would, in all likelihood, be impossible in the United States – especially, as she goes on to say, since "the advent of feminism and the women's rights movement".[9] While Newitz sees this as reflective of Japanese culture, arguing that characters such as Belldandy are possible because feminist issues do not have the same recognition within Japan as they do in many Western countries, Susan J. Napier takes a very different line. She argues that characters such as Belldandy may be a reaction to the increasing assertiveness of women in Japan, thus presenting Belldandy as an attempt to reinforce traditional cultural values, rather than a reflection of them.[71] To demonstrate this, Napier points to Belldandy's role in "Moonlight and Cherry Blossoms", the first of the OVA episodes. The episode begins with disorder, as Keiichi is evicted from his dorm after Belldandy's chaotic appearance into his life, but ends with a return to "traditional values", signified through the restoration of the old temple.[72] Similarly, Napier notes that Belldandy's cooking is often commended by the other characters, and as such is another way in which the character of Belldandy can be seen to reinforce more traditional female roles.[73] Carlos Ross of THEM Anime Reviews considers Belldandy's characterization in the film much better than in the OVA series, where he describes her as a "doormat".[74]

Either way, commentators still notice strengths in Belldandy's character. While acknowledging the conservative portrayal, Napier describes Belldandy as "almost a perfect dream of feminine nurturance" and identifying that she has a "soothing and escapist function",[75] while reviewer Megan Lavey states that Belldandy is no pushover, and that she can hold her own, noting that she is making "the best of difficult circumstances."[76]

Another line of criticism of Belldandy relates to the sexual nature of the character, with Belldandy being described by one commentator as a "soft porn goddess".[77][78] Nevertheless, other commentators have observed that Belldandy might be sexual,[52] but writers such as Gilles Poitras note that the series – far from being soft porn – is in fact a very tender and romantic comedy: the characters do no more than simply kiss (and that infrequently) over the course of the series.[78] Newitz suggests that part of the appeal of Oh My Goddess! is the romantic nature of the story: "In anime, romantic love is possible because overt sexuality is not".[9] According to Newitz the relationships in romantic anime, such as Oh My Goddess!, are not about consummation but about "sexual innuendo and deferral".[9]

You can say, Belldandy is similar take of Aoi except Belldandy have better character development for my opinion. Also, I like Ah My Goddess show a bit too much. Guess my perfect woman in fantasy is might be Belldandy persona heh....

As for Love Hina, I still have a soft spot for that show. I guess when I watch Love Hina, I know what I am getting myself into based on the 1st episode. For Ai Yori Aoshi, I went in with no expectation, have my expectation goes up high in the 1st 3-4 episodes and felt disappointed when they turn the romance drama to comedy harem after that. I guess, I feel cheated a bit as you just tell the audience you're making an interesting romance drama and then change it to a slap stick comedy with 5 different females who you never care too much in one house. Kinda bait and switch to me.

That's nonsense, she didn't just "fall for him". She's a character in a story, not a real person. She was written as an "ideal woman", and the INCREDIBLY retrograde concept of "ideal" they use means loyal, happy to be treated like an object (arranged marriage), uninterested in being her own person (by her own admission her entire personality is shaped around what HE wants from the ideal woman), uninterested in education (nothing past high school, if she even went to school at all), uninterested in work (beyond cleaning up the house)... and more. She is one of the most obnoxiously backwards female leads in modern anime. I hate Aoi Yori Aoshi, it's horrible. It deserves the 2/10 rating I gave it on MAL some time back.
Well, I won't challenge people opinion of this show. I do feel it have potential to be a even better show if they follow the romance drama take of this show and stick with it. But for now, the show is okay at best for me. Sigh.....so much potential this show can be but waste...

Lol. Suu is the greatest!
Some of the best faces/expressions of any anime character ever.
b176f92e085bfafa0c5d5f9818108633_zpsxhyjd8yp.jpg

The manga used to just be a sort of guilty pleasure of mine, but the anime has seriously won me over. Great stuff, loving every second of it... And now kind of dreading Kii's introduction later down the line...

John Blade

Man...another filler episode but this time the story is targeting to Mayu and her date with Kaoru. Maybe a quick tip for people who have no clue of dating someone or doing it for the 1st time. Maybe start your date either going to a restaurant for a meal or go to a nice park for a walk as Mayu is dress in her new clothes and this is a good time to show it off a bit.

I will admit a bit did got a chuckle when she try to bowl for the 1st time but the entire date with Kaoru is boring I have to say. Guess the part where Mayu playing the piano sound good enough. Also, I guess Mayu isn't annoying if she is with Kaoru which help her character a bit here. Wish she act like this with other people.....

John Blade

Okay episode. This time it's target at Kaoru as he is trying to finish his report but can't because everyone distract him. He somehow manage to get it done and got a party for it.

Can't say much really. I guess the better part is when Aoi and Kaoru alone by themselves in the end. Guess, they're pulling that again here. Notice everyone got drunk quite a bit for the party (except Chika and Miyabi) which bring in the comedy side a bit.

Like I say, it's an okay episode but nothing much to push the plot of the show a bit further (well...maybe at the end when Aoi will be there for Kaoru whatever route he take in his life).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom