• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Obari's apparently the mechanical animation director. That's super unusual but hopefully it leads to the mecha fights looking super good.

How is it unusual? He's probably just one of many mecha animation directors. There will likely be a lot of animation staff crossover between Build Fighters and Orphans since it's the same Sunrise studio under the same producer handling it. Given his output in both Build Fighters series, it probably doesn't even mean much. He loves using stills and poses and seems pretty conscious of the limited resources his episodes have.

The melee battles in the Psycho-Pass movie are so damn choppy. Were they recorded at like 4ths or so?

I think it's just a by-product of the choreography being heavily referenced or maybe even rotoscoped. Like in the first season, for select fights they hired an actual stunt crew to perform the action and based the animation on that.

jonjonaug

So I'm trying pretty hard to get into anime, I've watched some stuff before but not a huge amount.

Here is my "MAL" if there's anything you think i should watch, or I'd like please mention it as I'd happily give it a try.

To preface it, I do enjoy mecha and horror however as you can see from my list I'll try and watch just about anything :).

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/DanGCM

Mecha: Gunbuster, Giant Robo, Gundam movie trilogy and 0080, GaoGaiGar if you can enjoy stuff made for kids, Getter Robo OVAs (there's three shows, all are good), Eureka Seven, and Votoms.

There honestly aren't too many good horror anime, but if you want "darker" shows that are really good and recent check out Madoka Magica and Psycho-Pass.

Arslan 17

Man what an intense episode. To think Daryun would ever struggle in battle, all we ever see is him ruffle-stomping everyone. The very last scene was actually sad though.

So no God Eater today /: But we are supposedly getting Gangsta and Umaru right? Do we know if this is a permanent scheduling change or a one time thing?

cajunator

Banned
congrats you prevented yourself from watching a few of the greatest episodes in anime

I second that emotion
*squeezes Zachy

Hi everyone! So, I didn't watch any anime since Hibike! Euphonium (and currently following Dragon Ball Super, but I'm not feeling it, and despite all my efforts I really can't dig Gatchaman). What are you personnal recommandations? Which animes seem to be more interesting than the others? What about Charlotte (mostly because I find the opening very catchy)?

Hmm. You could check out Soma/Food wars. Its pretty phenomenal. Other than that it depends what you like.

So I'm trying pretty hard to get into anime, I've watched some stuff before but not a huge amount.

Here is my "MAL" if there's anything you think i should watch, or I'd like please mention it as I'd happily give it a try.

To preface it, I do enjoy mecha and horror however as you can see from my list I'll try and watch just about anything :).

1. I just sent a friend request

2. From your to-watch list I would recommend to fast track: Detroit Metal City, Full Metal Panic, NHK, Steins;Gate
Also since you seem to have interest in Satoshi Kon, watch Millennium Actress as well.

Psych-Pass movie

I think it's just a by-product of the choreography being heavily referenced or maybe even rotoscoped. Like in the first season, for select fights they hired an actual stunt crew to perform the action and based the animation on that.

Interesting. So turned out it was mostly the first mercenaries attack on Kougami that looked extremely choppy. Rest was alright, albeit it never felt very fluid once.

Having finished the movie now, it was just bad. As you pointed out at least it has some structure and knows what story it wants to tell but that's all it has. I'm also surprised at how often this film looked downright ugly. Inconsistency, clashing CGI and hand animation, rather poor overall direction and the always so terrible Akane character design really didn't do this any favors.

Movie quality background right there.

Cringe worthy dialogues, characters I've come to hate by now which isn't surprising if they're the followup to season 2 (even though I only saw 2 episodes of that). AnimeGAF soured me some on Psycho-Pass season 1 but I still think that has plenty to enjoy in it. Anything afterwards can be put into the trash though and I don't think I'm going to watch any future Psycho-Pass releases.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The author is a former member of the JSDF which is why there's a more neutral to positive outlook on them when compared to other things. I ended up reading the manga and it's definitely a lot less propogandaish and a bitmore neutral as the series goes on. I feel like it gets a bit more plainly into who and what they are (and what they can/can't do). There's a few minor moments of chest thumping but it's pretty brief.
I read on the wikia or tvtropes that the guy is a right wing nutjob and they had to clean it up for the manga/anime/republished novels. Given how the Americans are presented, however briefly in the show, I can definitely see it.

I will say though, given Japan's mandate, joining the JDSF literally means doing nothing for your entire career but prepare for a war that can't happen because it's in no one's interest to fuck up Asia. I'm not sure you need a syfy adventure to help sell the life anyway. lol

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 6

So correct me if I'm wrong but the guys on Pluto are former humans that surrendered and now follow the Gamilias. That explains why their skin aren't blue like the others.

The space battles were entertaining to watch especially seeing Kodai's Fire squadron shoot down the enemies. Nice teamwork with Kodai and Rei. Also loved seeing the other crew getting ramped up and acting like thugs while attacking. Great counterattack from Yamato.
You'll find out more about the empire in due time, but
they are not Earth-humans.

In fact, even the reason why everyone seemingly looks the same is eventually explained.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Been looking for good slice of life anime that is not harem or moe heavy. Last slice of life anime I watched was K-on

Then started watching Working. Really enjoying it. Even the intro sounds like K-on
Hanayamata is a fun anime that no one watched from last year.

Quick comment on Shimoneta but I found it interesting so far that the females are in total charge of that world up to this point. The high chunk of sexually aggressive characters so far has been female. Even when the students were storming the forest, it was the females who tricked the males and taking all the goods.
I think that plays into fears of female sexuality, because it's seen as an unknown quantity in a lot of fiction - from the "G spot is a myth jokes" to Jennifer Aniston trying to blackmail that coworker into having sex with her in that shitty Horrible Bosses movie. What makes it unusual is that it's the women that are exploring their sexuality, but there is an undeniable fact that this is being written for a male audience.

Like, Ebichu deals more explicitly with the female body and female desire, but the comedy comes from the main character's perspective ranging from finding sex with her male partner not fulfilling to the awkward nature of... well, I don't want to say rape fantasies, but BDSM fantasies.

There's a subtle difference between female characters who talk about sex for the sake of men and the same characters who talk about sex for the sake of women. One is meant to play on the mysterious, while the other is meant to be frank and honest.

A western trend that is worth thinking about is the rise of female comics in television. Amy Schumer and Broad City touch on female sexuality in a way that is completely different from your typical male-written/male-led sex comedies. It's a neat coincidence that both Louie and Broad City had pegging episodes, for example, and you can see the clear difference in how the two shows approach that particular sex act.

Cornbread78

- Bakemonogatari (not on your list, but it's sequel Nisemonogatari was)
- NHK
- Cross Ange (the best and most entertaining mecha trainwreck ever)
- Kill la Kill
- Fate Zero

The Monogatari series will keep you busy for awhile, but it's awesome stuff!

It's crass lowest common denominator junk that appeals to people with short memories who find something new to be "shocked" about every new season of television. It lacks character to make its theme of sexual discovery interesting, and it's not particularly clever on any level either. Visually it's hideous and bland. Some of the worst character design I've seen in a long time. It is the side of anime defined as a product for children who don't know better.
Dimb I don't know if you meant to take shots at those of us who are watching this, calling us people with "short memories" and "children who don't know better", but I'll shrug it off for now and pretend that I didn't read it. If you take cartoons this seriously, something that is supposed to entertain people, and heck if the reactions here aren't proof that it does then I don't know what to tell you. You are robbing yourself of all the fun in these types of shows and insulting those who simply watch Anime to have fun. Why?

Dimb I don't know if you meant to take shots at those of us who are watching this, calling us people with "short memories" and "children who don't know better", but I'll shrug it off for now and pretend that I didn't read it. If you take cartoons this seriously, something that is supposed to entertain people, and heck if the reactions here aren't proof that it does then I don't know what to tell you. You are robbing yourself of all the fun in these types of shows and insulting those who simply watch Anime to have fun. Why?

Don't take criticism of cartoons you like personally.

Jintor

Don't take criticism of cartoons you like personally.

dimb says basically who the cartoon is for, i.e. the viewing audience. that's a shot at people watching at and enjoying it. it is criticism of the show but it's also shitting on the audience.

to be fair i do this all the time with sao

fuck sao

dimb says basically who the cartoon is for, i.e. the viewing audience. that's a shot at people watching at and enjoying it. it is criticism of the show but it's also shitting on the audience.

fuck sao
I'm okay with people not liking what I do and vice-versa, everyone is different. I just don't think it's necessary to insult people over something that they enjoy, but whatever.

Gangsta and Umaru today. Wednesdays sure feel empty without those 2.

Thoraxes

I'm okay with people not liking what I do and vice-versa, everyone is different. I just don't think it's necessary to insult people over something that they enjoy, but whatever.

Gangsta and Umaru today. Wednesdays sure feel empty without those 2.

Usually, the discourse is to criticize the point, not the person. Doesn't always happen sadly.

The Heroic Legend of Arslan Episode 17 The Duel Before the Gods

Why would Yamada artist draw that, should should have had Arslan kissing Elam instead. But the nosebleeds in the background lol.

Great episode for Elam. Also for Arslan displaying that emotion, worthwhile event.
CLZ9TGdWwAAou8t.png
CLZ9ffEXAAAyd79.png

Jintor

i literally can't understand how a person could enjoy sao

it's my new light novel, please look forward to it

fuck sao

I suppose the language used does go into that territory. Which is a bit much, it's not like Shimoneta is some Nichijou tier piece of absolutely terrible comedy produced and enjoyed by aliens who don't understood how humor works.

Nohar

Ushio to Tora would be a great place to start, Charlotte is pretty fun but nothing has really happened yet.

There's also a bunch of lewd anime but I don't know if you're into that.

Anyway, if you're really interested in Charlotte(or any other show) you could just watch the first two episodes, that way you'll know for sure whether you like it or not. Usio to Tora is a must though.

If you're interested in Overlord you should watch episode 3 and treat episode 1&2 as a flashback though, apparently it had a slow start.

Hmm. You could check out Soma/Food wars. Its pretty phenomenal. Other than that it depends what you like.

Thank you for your answers and advices!
I'm not into lewd animes, so I'll skip those. I'm looking for fun and/or epic animes (I had a blast watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, truly one of my best anime experience these last years), animes with an interesting premise/plot and which can move me (Death Parade was a very pleasant surprise in that regard), and if all fail animes with a great OST and animation.

i literally can't understand how a person could enjoy sao

it's my new light novel, please look forward to it

And like all LN it'll be doomed to a 10 episode adaptation funded by kadokawa instead of the 26 ep-run it deserves.

Yes i'm still bitter about it.

I'm not into lewd animes, so I'll skip those. I'm looking for fun and/or epic animes (I had a blast watching Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, truly one of my best anime experience these last years), animes with an interesting premise/plot and which can move me (Death Parade was a very pleasant surprise in that regard), and if all fail animes with a great OST and animation.

Shokugeki no Soma is a pretty wierd one then, the first episodes are definitely the lewdest but after a while it tones down a lot, at least to the point where it will probably become bearable for you since you didn't gauge your eyes out after seeing Yoko in TTGL.

It's still hype as fuck though and fits all the criteria that you just mentioned definitely give it a chance, like, watch it right now.

John Blade

hey

nichijou is amazing

once per episode

Did you finish the show or just starting. Would just continue watching it as it's one of the better anime I watch for a while in random comedy and slice of life.

Also, Animegaf here, I am going to watch Wolf Rain and wondering if I should watch this in Eng dub or go to Jap dub the way it should be.

Jarmel

Banned
How is it unusual? He's probably just one of many mecha animation directors. There will likely be a lot of animation staff crossover between Build Fighters and Orphans since it's the same Sunrise studio under the same producer handling it. Given his output in both Build Fighters series, it probably doesn't even mean much. He loves using stills and poses and seems pretty conscious of the limited resources his episodes have.

I took it as him being the main mechanical anime director instead of him filling the mechanical animation director on an episodic basis like he did for GBF or Try. Sort of like Nakada's position for Eureka 7.

Arslan Senki - 17

^^^This ending card made me realise that if arslan was a girl , it would be one heck of an epic shojo. i'd still watch it.

Daryun is DA BEST , i mean HOLY sh*t that fight was cool.

As for that guy , he had a big death flag since his apperance, glad my instincts were right , too bad
it was his death that stopped the fight , since he was obviously more liked than the prince. It's incredible how that prince never realised the errors of his ways , even after the king himself , tell him to take care of his subjects. WHAT A MORON.

Ascheroth

Hi everyone! So, I didn't watch any anime since Hibike! Euphonium (and currently following Dragon Ball Super, but I'm not feeling it, and despite all my efforts I really can't dig Gatchaman). What are you personnal recommandations? Which animes seem to be more interesting than the others? What about Charlotte (mostly because I find the opening very catchy)?

Ushio to Tora is 90s shonen at its best, you might want to give that a try instead of Dragon Ball Super.

Charlotte has been enjoyable but nothing special so far. Although there is supposedly going to be some major twist/tonal shift next episode, so I don't know. Either watch the first one or two episodes and continue if you like them or wait for the impressions for next episode.

Shokugeki no Soma is a must watch as far as I'm concerned. It has been consistently entertaining for 17 episodes without a single boring episode. It's basically a battle shonen in the guise of a cooking show, with ridiculous over-the-top food reactions. Be warned though that the first few episodes are heavy on the fanservice side (and aren't really a good representation of the rest of the show), if that's not you thing. That said, go watch Soma now.

If you liked Gurren Lagann then go watch Gunbuster and Diebuster. Gundam Build Fighers was also a blast, even if you have zero Gundam knowledge.

Cornbread78

fuck sao

Lol, love ya too man. Kirito x Asuna 4 life.

Bold words. Have you watched Geass yet?

Not yet, that's another amazing trainwreck (I've heard) I'll have to experience soon, lol.

Tuck

Watch soma. They tone down the fan service after a few episodes (though it still pops up on occasion). The show is insanely entertaining.

Arslan senki is also great.

I took it as him being the main mechanical anime director instead of him filling the mechanical animation director on an episodic basis like he did for GBF or Try. Sort of like Nakada's position for Eureka 7.

Since Obari says in his tweet, "Hey, I'm going to be doing storyboard, key animation, and mechanical animation director on the new Gundam," it sounds much more like he'll serve as mechanical animation director for a couple episodes than for the series as a whole. Obviously he isn't going to be doing storyboard/KA for all the episodes.

Jintor

Did you finish the show or just starting. Would just continue watching it as it's one of the better anime I watch for a while in random comedy and slice of life.

eh, the problem was i watched it at the same times as nichibros, and while I thought nichijou had usually one megatonne joke per episode (often using up a lot of lead time to give it that oomph), nichibros had like a constant stream of really funny but not quite megatonne jokes that kind of edged it out.

Lol, love ya too man. Kirito x Asuna 4 life.

i'll convince you one day cornbread

no i won't

Jarmel

Banned
Since Obari says in his tweet, "Hey, I'm going to be doing storyboard, key animation, and mechanical animation director on the new Gundam," it sounds much more like he'll serve as mechanical animation director for a couple episodes than for the series as a whole. Obviously he isn't going to be doing storyboard/KA for all the episodes.

Oh so this was a tweet announcement moreso than an actual formal one? Then yea it'll be similar to his previous roles.

fertygo

Seemingly half the show is still images, but yeah it somehow manages to be entertaining anyway. Having the best MC of the season helps. I just wish it wasn't so damn ugly and the music was better.

The Coconuts thing still made me giggle.

I also like the cast, Akira is savior great, Maia is cute, Domon is 3 level upgrade for Andy Asshole too.. the rest is bland but helping the screwjobs more standout.

Mandelbo

I suppose the language used does go into that territory. Which is a bit much, it's not like Shimoneta is some Nichijou tier piece of absolutely terrible comedy produced and enjoyed by aliens who don't understood how humor works.

Ugh. UGH. I guess not EVERYONE can appreciate the perfection that is Nichijou.

JulianImp

Been looking for good slice of life anime that is not harem or moe heavy. Last slice of life anime I watched was K-on

Then started watching Working. Really enjoying it. Even the intro sounds like K-on

Kind of reposted from a couple pages ago, but:
Non Non Byori - slice of life set in a quiet rural village
Kids on the Slope - high school kids actually playing jazz, and then some romance
HaNaYaMaTa - cutesy school club where the girls set out to practice a certain Japanese dance
Hibike! Euphonium - another school band show that contains actual performances more often than K-On. Romance isn't as prevalent as in Kids on the Slope
Shirobako - There's an anime school club in the very first episode... but then the story fast forwards to the group of girls who have now graduated and are finally working in (or trying to get into) the anime industry
Space Brothers - two brothers promised to be astronauts when they grew up, and the younger one did while the older brother gave up on his dreams. The story focuses on the older brother as he remembers that promise and thinks about finally going for it

Mandelbo

I've been plodding my way through Texhnolyze and am floored by how good the soundtrack is. The audio of the show in general is incredible, it's like a feast for my ears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=994OnlTR-oc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3pF_VBTGxo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADLufZ9UJUU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiZqA4xH_gQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGuQ7pUwcVE

Wow, these are really good. I'm kinda interested in giving Texhnolyze a shot now so I can see what exactly this music accompanies.

Wow, these are really good. I'm kinda interested in giving Texhnolyze a shot now so I can see what exactly this music accompanies.

It's a slow burn and extremely atmospheric. Feels very Lynch at times and it loves to let everything breathe. For example, there is no dialogue until 11 minutes into the first episode.

Its use of music has been poignant so far. Most scenes are silent or have ambient drones, which really adds to the dark mood.

JCG

Not yet, that's another amazing trainwreck (I've heard) I'll have to experience soon, lol.

I wouldn't even use the same term to describe them. Geass has far more value to it than Ange and visibly lacks the obssession with sexual violence, in such a way that it's really a crazy rollercoaster which a lot of people find legitimate reasons to appreciate. Almost every time someone has tried to do the same with other series they end up failing outright by making something significantly worse.

It's a slow burn and extremely atmospheric. Feels very Lynch at times and it loves to let everything breathe. For example, there is no dialogue until 11 minutes into the first episode.

Its use of music has been poignant so far. Most scenes are silent or have ambient drones, which really adds to the dark mood.

First episode aside the rest of them haven't been any weirder or atmospheric than stuff like Serial Experiment Lain. I mean sure I'm 8 episodes in. Weakest aspect of the show so far is the lead, hopefully he'll get better.

duckroll

I've read some good things about Akitoshi Yokoyama's The Ultraman short which was added to the Animator's Expo theatrical run this weekend. It's supposedly very, very 70s, and super faithful to the tone of the original manga and the spirit of the franchise. Studio Pablo tweeted that they worked on backgrounds for the short, and I hear Hisashi Mori worked on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom