• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

It's crass lowest common denominator junk that appeals to people with short memories who find something new to be "shocked" about every new season of television. It lacks character to make its theme of sexual discovery interesting, and it's not particularly clever on any level either. Visually it's hideous and bland. Some of the worst character design I've seen in a long time. It is the side of anime defined as a product for children who don't know better.

I had to lol at this. Althought, you may be serious, or may not, who knows, but as long as it is meant to be a comedy of the lowest denomination, then it's achieving that goal and keeping everyone entertained at the same time. It's been something different and fun to watch for sure.

Rokka 5
Damn, this turned into a mystery on us all if a sudden. I didn't expect this episode to be dedicated to searching since it had been moving along so quickly before, but it was interesting regardless. The 7th is
Bunny girl or her knight; no doubt about it

fertygo

It's crass lowest common denominator junk that appeals to people with short memories who find something new to be "shocked" about every new season of television. It lacks character to make its theme of sexual discovery interesting, and it's not particularly clever on any level either. Visually it's hideous and bland. Some of the worst character design I've seen in a long time. It is the side of anime defined as a product for children who don't know better.

Production value is actually the one I impressed the most about Shimoneta, while the actual content is not hit me as much as most people here. its consistently looked good, nice color design. and plenty of nice little animation for the gag.

Really thought this post directed to Prison School at first, although I also disagree for people saying its had bad production value, but for that one I can see why people can come to that opinion.

Shimoneta though? nah..

Been looking for good slice of life anime that is not harem or moe heavy. Last slice of life anime I watched was K-on

Then started watching Working. Really enjoying it. Even the intro sounds like K-on

Whenever people talk about things like color design/background art and shit like that I never know what to say because I never notice stuff like that unless it's glaringly obvious like the colors in No Game No Life or the PS2 CGI backgrounds in Prison School.

But I guess I also can't see the difference between 30-45-60 fps (I can feel it though it games like Devil May Cry) or screen tearing or anything like that so I'm probably not the best person to judge it on anyway. No, it's not because I deny that it exists, but I actually can't pick it up unless someone tells me it's there. I can notice frame drops like Blighttown in Dark Souls, though.

Michiko and Hatchin 05

I really wish this show is better. I usually enjoy semi-episodic content but I am really not feeling this.

jbug617

Banned
Been looking for good slice of life anime that is not harem or moe heavy. Last slice of life anime I watched was K-on

Then started watching Working. Really enjoying it. Even the intro sounds like K-on

Servant x Service (creator of Working)
Barakamon
Non Non Biyori
Silver Spoon
Tsuritama
Usagi Drop

kewlmyc

Rokka 05

I'll save most of my thoughts for when the fake is revealed so I don't spoil anyone, but this was a good episode. Love me some mysteries, especially when they introduce locked rooms. Those are always a blast except for in Umineko when they never reveal how it happens. I would say "being Fremy is suffering" but she brought this upon herself by going around killing Braves. Adlet's constant defending of her for no reason is getting annoying.

javac

Just finished Kaiba. I'm getting started on a review, but I'll say just now, unfortunately I didn't really like it. I don't even know if I can muster up enough to write a review for it, but I'll try. The show looks amazing at least.

Barakamon (Best Sol comedy I've seen and was AOTY for me in 2014)
Non Non Biyori (a extremely comfy sol series)

Servant x Service (creator of Working)

I might start following the person's work. light heart-ed and funny

But Working is extremely moe heavy..

Taneshima is fine. I was worried when I saw her on episode 1. I was like oh-boy here we go.

But stuck around the entire episode and really liked the exchange between characters

Gakkou Gurashi.

Just make sure you go in blind and watch to the end of the first episode.

hhhmmm the picture...

Gatchaman Crowds Insight 5

Now I remember what Gel's power reminds me of. It's Athena's emotion color power thing in Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies. Considering the ending of that, it also makes me think of
Hajime as a sociopath, which she very well might be.

javac

I was talking recently about how I never skip the OP and ED, but unfortunately with Kaiba, I was really tempted to do so. First time I've ever felt that way, and its only 12 episodes. Very disheartened, I wanted to like the series so much, makes it more painful.

Kenstar

Watch Aria The Animation>Aria the Natural>Aria the Origination

Stop halfway through Origination so that no matter how old you are, and how bad life gets, there will always be a new episode of Aria for you to experience

fertygo

Watch Aria The Animation>Aria the Natural>Aria the Origination

Stop halfway through Origination so that no matter how old you are, and how bad life gets, there will always be a new episode of Aria for you to experience

What a bad advice..

Everything had to finish, and Origination deliver that message the best and satisfying.

Rokka 5
This episode really dragged, which is not surprising considering all but a few minutes of it was exposition taking place in one room. They even managed to briefly sneak the vomit cam back in. It wasn't even particularly tense considering that everyone watching this knows Flammie and Adlet are innocent and nothing will happen to them. I can't help but feel like this scene would have been far more effective if 3/4 of the characters weren't completely unknown and we didn't have to spend most of this episode giving a brief introduction to them, then there might actually be some stakes.
Nashetania being the traitor is the obvious answer given that she's the only developed character other than Flammie and Adlet, but I suppose that could be misdirection.

One Piece 703

Kind of cool episode, looked a lot better then usual, guess Law is popular. I actually remember this section a lot, one of the better flashbacks in a series with lots of good flashbacks.

Rokka 5
Nashetania being the traitor is the obvious answer given that she's the only developed character other than Flammie and Adlet, but I suppose that could be misdirection.

Especially considering while she is freaking out she just happens to break the tablet and scrolls that were at the altar in Ep.4.

Defuser

Shimoneta ep 5
death-by-snoo-snooiwp29.gif

Holy.shit Anna.

This show....this fucking show....

Jarmel

Banned
So now that I've had some time to calm down, I've been looking over the staff list for MSG: Iron Blooded Orphans and swirling it all in my mind.

Nagai is a good director. He does have a penchant for drama but he usually does it fairly well. He does love to dance on the line between drama and melodrama but his works are pretty good at evoking some level of emotion. Masaru Yokoyama is a good fit for him as Yokoyama likes 'big sounds' for his OST and recently Yokoyama has been hitting gold. In the past year, Yokoyama has come into his own and his work on Iron Blooded Orphans should be exemplary. Chiba does good work and the mechanical designs are from all over the place, most of the guys are extremely good on this front. Obari's apparently the mechanical animation director. That's super unusual but hopefully it leads to the mecha fights looking super good.

The only real bad person on the staff so far is Okada. I can't even say it's an adaptation as a way of limiting her influence. The setting for the show does lend itself to drama better than a bunch of regular high school kids but she just ratchets everything up to 11 in the worst way possible. She has done good work but her recent output has been abysmal. I just can't trust her to be able to reign whatever trauma this kid soldiers have.

*sigh*

Aquarion Logos - 05

What a damn great episode, this destroy me.. best comedy of the season easily.

Who need Kawamori

I think I already like this more than EVOL

Seemingly half the show is still images, but yeah it somehow manages to be entertaining anyway. Having the best MC of the season helps. I just wish it wasn't so damn ugly and the music was better.

Mandelbo

Tantei Opera Milky Holmes 8-12 FIN

Not a lot to say about this one aside from it having some very on-point visual humor and how it's commendable how easily it can borrow from different genres to expand and succeed past just goofy comedy.

I really enjoyed S1, found it pretty much consistently entertaining and very funny - I had a similar revelation to you when I saw that shot of the Sherlock Holmes statue too. Unfortunately I don't think the second season reaches the same heights as the first one and was ultimately a bit disappointing for me, but I think it's still worth watching since it still has it's fair share of great moments.

Nohar

Hi everyone! So, I didn't watch any anime since Hibike! Euphonium (and currently following Dragon Ball Super, but I'm not feeling it, and despite all my efforts I really can't dig Gatchaman). What are you personnal recommandations? Which animes seem to be more interesting than the others? What about Charlotte (mostly because I find the opening very catchy)?

And Yet The Town Moves - Completed

So yeh, after my initial impressions on the first 2 episodes the show certainly did get better. Thankfully this wasn't really that episodic in nature and there was thought put into most of the characters (the granny though...that voice smh). Comedy wise however it never reached greatness for me. There was quite some fun stuff but most of the jokes were neither very clever nor original. Thanks to strong direction I still had a bunch good laughs, but yeh, it was merely good, not great for me.

The second half of the last episode hit fairly hard and I loved the juxtaposition of comedy with serious content there. Can be tough to make this work well but they succeeded. I haven't seen Gintama yet but it sounds like that show excels at this stuff, too.

In the end I really would've liked to see more of this show especially since it just got better along the way. 11 episode adaptation be damned, even if that probably helped with the high production values :/

Anyways, all in all I'd give it a 7/10.

OP and ED are stuck in my ear btw.

H1PSTER

So I'm trying pretty hard to get into anime, I've watched some stuff before but not a huge amount.

Here is my "MAL" if there's anything you think i should watch, or I'd like please mention it as I'd happily give it a try.

To preface it, I do enjoy mecha and horror however as you can see from my list I'll try and watch just about anything :).

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/DanGCM

Mandelbo

Shimoneta 05

Anna's
really gone off the deep end, hasn't she? I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting it to get quite that graphic, but damn if it isn't funny! The love nectar bits managed to make me wince a little, and that part where she had the vacuum cleaner... I wonder if
Anna's going to improve at all and become less... aggressive, or whether she's broken for good. Maybe Sophia will catch on eventually and bring out the big guns? It seems fairly clear that Okuma's eventually going to fall for Kajo anyway now that his image of Anna has been soiled.
Also Fuwa should just hurry up and become an official member of SOX already! She's basically doing the same things as SOX are, so why not?

Hi everyone! So, I didn't watch any anime since Hibike! Euphonium (and currently following Dragon Ball Super, but I'm not feeling it, and despite all my efforts I really can't dig Gatchaman). What are you personnal recommandations? Which animes seem to be more interesting than the others? What about Charlotte (mostly because I find the opening very catchy)?

Ushio to Tora would be a great place to start, Charlotte is pretty fun but nothing has really happened yet.

There's also a bunch of lewd anime but I don't know if you're into that.

Anyway, if you're really interested in Charlotte(or any other show) you could just watch the first two episodes, that way you'll know for sure whether you like it or not. Usio to Tora is a must though.

If you're interested in Overlord you should watch episode 3 and treat episode 1&2 as a flashback though, apparently it had a slow start.

So I'm trying pretty hard to get into anime, I've watched some stuff before but not a huge amount.

Here is my "MAL" if there's anything you think i should watch, or I'd like please mention it as I'd happily give it a try.

To preface it, I do enjoy mecha and horror however as you can see from my list I'll try and watch just about anything :).

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/DanGCM

That PTW is pretty impressive so just work on that for a while, since it wasn't listed I'd suggest to watch the End of Evangelion if you haven't already.

Also Gunbuster (made by the same guy as Evangelion) and it's spiritual succesor Diebuster (same guy as TTGL, if I recall correctly) are worth your time.

Oh, and since you bothered putting both Perfect Blue and Paprika on your list you should add Millenium Actress as well.

Finally, Nisemonogatari isn't the first in the series, if you're going to watch it (which you should at some point) watch Bakemonogatari.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom