• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
god dammit Phaze.

Everytime I think I'm out from the weird 2deep4me

5WsaTLv.gif

fertygo

Aikatsu 01-05

I've joined idol hell.

From the get go it's made clear that this is based on a game. The game mechanics aren't disguised to fit the narrative and feel out of place. I've been spoiled by Show by Rocks' CG sequences as Aikatsu's are very ugly by comparison, possibly even worse than Love Live's. Other than those small complaints I'm having fun with it.

Dat early build CG, things became super nice later.. especially the newest season, I goes to certain episode time to time just to rewatch the CG performance.

Screwing up the line or the delivery? "It was I, Dio!" rather than "It was me, Dio" is actually correct English.

A bit of both, actually. I feel like the line could have used some more "oomph" to it.

That and hearing "It was I, Dio" after reading the line so many times as "It was me, Dio!" just feels weird.

kewlmyc

No idea at this moment.

UK has both Danganronpa and Chaika coming already. It needs to happen in the US soon.

Does the UK Chaika bluray had a dub? I can't seem to find anything about it.

EDIT: Nevermind, Amazon UK seems to say that it will. Wonder what's taking Sentai so long in announcing it if they're already done with the dub. I don't think the 2nd season has been licensed, so I hope it does. Same for the novels.

Sterok

Aikatsu is like mahou shoujo with dancing instead of fighting.

This is probably more or less the reason I like it. The main trio's personalities and dynamics in particular feel very similar to what you'd find in a mahou shoujo. It's my first idol show, but a lot of parts seem like they're hitting similar ground to what I've seen before.

Aikatsu 94

Aikatsu 8 ended up being really disappointing. Just 2 episodes for all that build up. Star Anis was quick too, but it's consequences were felt for a long time in a way I don't see Aikatsu 8 will. I want to call 2wingS a stupid name. Mostly because the way the characters say it sounds incredibly weird. Other than that, things seem mostly set for the finale.

cajunator

Banned
Does the UK Chaika bluray had a dub? I can't seem to find anything about it.

EDIT: Nevermind, Amazon UK seems to say that it will. Wonder what's taking Sentai so long in announcing it if they're already done with the dub. I don't think the 2nd season has been licensed, so I hope it does. Same for the novels.

they need to hurry the hell up. I want Caika and I want Danganronpa (Funimation)
There is No excuse why the UK is getting anime first

Rokka 5
Flamie's reveal was interesting. The interrogations are going as expected so I wouldn't be surprised if the traitor is who everyone is suspecting

Thoraxes

I'd heard things about how slow Texhnolyze is, but I'm sure it isn't that bad, right? Even if it is slow it's by the guy who did Lain, so it should be interesting at least.

Also, Ryushika Ryushika anime when?

It's not based on being good or bad, it's more like the things that happen actually make you feel things for the stuff that happens to characters.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Here's a list of excuses:
We still don't have Mitsudomoe
We still don't have YuruYuri
We still don't have Kitakubu Katsudou Kiroku
We still don't have Kill Me Baby on BD (soon to be rectified)
We're not getting the Love Live movie (oh and the BDs are being delayed so they can [redacted because my complaints about dubs seem to upset some people])

Thoraxes

If this was real I can't even begin to imagine how dumb it would be.
Man, if you told me years ago that i'd end up loving an original show by the Urobutcher + SHAFT with character designs by Aoki Ume, I would've called you nuts.

I believe in everything now, and I want this to happen.

javac

We're not getting the Love Live movie (oh and the BDs are being delayed so they can [redacted because my complaints about dubs seem to upset some people])

At the same time we got Bebop well before them, as with 99% of Ghilbi films, including two that never made it to the US (Only Yesterday and Ocean Waves, two of my faves!) as well as Lagann for a fraction of the cost and Tatami Galaxy which also never came out in the US so the UK has a few ups every once in a very blue moon :p And although Patlabor has always bombed in the UK in every incarnation, the US has supported the franchise well and with the various methods you can use to circumvent the region lock on their releases, I count that as a win too. Basically, region codes be damned, a US release is better then no release!

Mandelbo

they need to hurry the hell up. I want Caika and I want Danganronpa (Funimation)

Now you know how it feels :p
Wouldn't it be nice if we could just get anime at the same time?

Aria the Animation 06

This episode we are introduced to Maa-kun, who is one of the most terrifying things I've seen in a while. Alice says he's a cat, but I beg to differ; I mean, just look at him:
That is not a cat! His mouth is just a slit in his face like a sock puppet and his eyes are just two beady little pinholes. Sure, you can make the argument that, like Aria, he's a breed indigenous to Aqua, but even then he doesn't look like he's a real animal. I bet it's some malicious creature pretending to be a cat for some unseemly motive.
Alice continues to amuse by looking so unbelievably annoyed at everything, and Aria's Aria - he can't not be entertaining. Still wonderful!

I'd buy KKK

e_i

Third Aerial Girls OVA

Great, except the CG is fucking horrible. Some of it looks from a game from the late 90s/early 00s.

Jarmel

Banned
With so little evidence speculation runs rampant and all, but now that we are at it and knowing that Mr. Urobuchi followed both studios at the same time... could this just be a collaboration for another Japan Anima(tor)'s Exhibition short instead? I mean, TRIGGER Inc., has already been pretty involved with Studio Khara on the project as a whole...

Imaishi hasn't announced anything for that short stuff for USP in the Fall. I doubt he's doing anything further for the Expo. Urobuchi might and Trigger could be producing it.

kewlmyc

No one outside of Japan has gotten Mitsudomoe, iirc.

Sterok

Umaru 4

Final girl is great. Umaru shows off her gamer skills. Nice secret identities everyone has. I liked seeing Taihei at work. Even with that home life of his, he still works hard at his job.

Aikatsu 96-97

Akari continues to be one of the stronger characters. Someone who is legit struggling and not just worrying about being the top of the top of the top is refreshing. And she's got a third hairstyle now. Akari got 3 models, and Shion couldn't go on stage even once. Oh well. Odd way for Aoi's letter to pop up. Though it is appropriate, since it's something Ichigo can't just genki her way through.

Texhnolyze 9-13

All right show. I'm hooked. You've had just the right amount of philosophical shit where it keeps me intrigued as I try to understand, but it doesn't become overbearing and annoying where I spend most of an episode confused and attempting to decipher what the fuck is going on because I am not putting 100% of my concentration into you.

The slow burn nature is really shining through in the melancholic tone of the characters and the whole show. It''s like if Ergo Proxy had been able to keep up the quality of the first few episodes before going off on that weird direction they ended up going to.

The characters are now growing on me, with the 'lead' no longer stumbling, grunting and screaming at everything that he faces. Onishi continues to be my favorite, and
Yoshi, aka mustache bro, unfortunately died.
but in that event I guess that Ichise became a better character so it's not all bad.

I might watch a few more episodes later tonight. Lord knows I have no rush to watch the latest True Detective episode.

javac

I rarely if ever watch things dubbed (I'm not one of those guys, I swear!) but I think the Dub works well for something like Jojo since the voice actors seem to understand the material they're working with and take it in strides. Of course I say that having not seen Jojo outside of a few clips here and there so its just an observation from the outside looking in. I think at the very least, it may be one of those shows that's worth watching with both audio tracks.

Also just to note, its only released on DVD in the west, but the online stream is available in HD.

Shirobako OVA 2 Third Aerial Girls Squad

I really appreciate they made an OP for this show that doesn't actually exist.

So the world in this is goofy as hell, I guess it's kind of like the world in Rebuild 3.33 with huge holes everywhere from something and big structures of nothing from nowhere and something called the "Great Lost" aka Near Third Impact happened? Actually this lone OVA makes more sense then 3.33 but they are similar.

I liked it, looks nice, the action scenes were good, CGI is pretty good, Aria is cute as hell. Guess I'll go back to waiting on Shirobako S2 ;_;

Gangsta 05

Can't get enough of the OP for this. One of the few this season that I never skip. So celebrum uh. That was the stuff Nic was taking all the time. A nice detail at the end was when as Worick is dragging Nic and it's raining, since they are wearing white shirts you can see through them and make out the tattoos that they have on their backs. Something little, but pretty neat. Still wondering what was up with Alex at the end too. Also wanna know what these 3 laws are.

Dragon Ball Super 004

The OP has really grown on me, it's no CHA LA HEAD CHA LA or DAN DAN but I like it in it's own way. Now we are entering the recap of Battle of Gods, although things are different, like the party being on a cruise ship from last episode. King Kai's voice actor definitely leave something to be desired, especially this episode when the animation for his yelling at Goku does not match the voice. Still the dude has been sick for a while and is pushing 90, I can give one character a break.

Anyway, I want to point out the obvious fact that this episode looks way, way different then the rest of the Super episodes and pretty much every other DB episode. It has really thick lines and lots of close ups, of course this means people will probably hate it because it's different (same people who don't know who Pilaf is I would bet.) Whoever was in charge of this episode has a unique style and I like that -

Sometimes it's used to varying degrees as well, creating a cool effect between the background and foreground -

Lots of A+ faces too, Dragon Ball is back baby, I am really enjoying this!

Zephyx

Shimoneta 5
It's going the route I feared it would take. I'll take it though seeing I don't have anything better to watch at the moment.

Charlotte 5
Looks like the sister will have her powers awakened soon.

Monster Musume 4
Suu is cute. :D I wonder where did the MC get the car to catch her from the fall?

Still need to catch up with GE, Prison School and Soma sometime this week. I also started Steins;Gate last week but only 7 episodes in. Maybe I'll give my impressions after I finish the whole story.

Sterok

Aikatsu 98-100

What makes the Twilight Star Cup more important than the Partners Cup or Soleil battle? The fact that they said so? Actually, that fits in well with how the entertainment industry operates. There's the Gemini dress. Hah hah at yet another one of Mizuki's units collapsing after a few months. Powa Powa Puririn shall reign supreme once more. Finally a decent Mizuki/Mikuru moment when Mizuki cried.

Thank goodness 2wingS took down Double M. I was getting annoyed by how invincible Mizuki was. And with that, Ichigo becomes the top idol. Not much more for her to do here. Though she'll find something for sure. Mikuru wants to become Mizuki's rival. That's Mizuki's second (after Kaede) partner turned rival. She really should do something about that.

Narag

Ai Mai Mi ~Mousou Catastrophe~ 1-13 FIN
If something like Pupipo! or Yama no Susume demonstrates how short anime can have an effective story, this is the polar opposite: unrestrained comedy that uses the format to the fullest while reveling in chaos.. Great stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom