• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Isuca 3-6
48bc0191fecef518619afec551c714cc1421102011_full.jpg
Who knew ecchi, crazy, supernatural, fantasy, romance trash could be pretty damn interesting? I'm kinda liking this for some reason. I think I just find the story interesting, however, it does nothing great and the heroine is just another generic tsundere chick. Oh well, the advert pic grabbed me to try it out and it is super short at 10 (only 4 episodes left now, so why not) Lots of fanservice in this one btw, the BD must be VERY interesting. ..

cajunator

Banned
Isuca 3-6

Who knew ecchi, crazy, supernatural, romance trash could be pretty damn interesting? I'm kinda liking this for some reason. I think I just find the story interesting I guess, however, it does nothing great and the heroine is just another generic tsundere chick. Oh well, the advert pic grabbed me to try it out and it is super short at 10 (only 4 episodes left now, so why not) Lots of fanservice in this one byw, the BD must be VERY interesting. ..

So I should watch this? Its on CR im guessin

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Episode 2
Manjome having Judai's number and emailing already wow. This is a perfect setup.

Good deal, though I wish it went on, I need a full Manjome v Judai duel. This is like with 5D's and how 40 episodes in, I still dont have a full Kingcrab duel :(

Oemenia

Banned
Okay guys need help. This is a question that's been asked many times but here it goes. So yeah how many episodes of FMA should I watch before starting Brotherhood? I keep hearing how the latter rushes through a lot but is meant to be far superior overall.

Now I understand both are good and in fact I've watched up to episode 7 of the original but I only have so much time this summer, how many more are ideal to be ready? Also the original series just sounds more interesting as it takes its time to tell the tale, yet on the other hand Brotherhood supposedly has much better production values and it is universally agreed that its second half is superior.

Any other thoughts?

Okay guys need help. This is a question that's been asked many times but here it goes. So yeah how many episodes of FMA should I watch before starting Brotherhood? I keep hearing how the latter rushes through a lot but is meant to be far superior overall.

Now I understand both are good and in fact I've watched up to episode 7 of the original but I only have so much time this summer, how many more are ideal to be ready? Also the original series just sounds more interesting as it takes its time to tell the tale, yet on the other hand Brotherhood supposedly has much better production values and it is universally agreed that its second half is superior.

Any other thoughts?

It is in fact not universally agreed that the second half of Brotherhood is superior to the original FMA series. Because it's not. Brotherhood is OK and has some moments, but overall it's inferior to the original, particularly in direction, tone, and story execution. The last arc of Brotherhood drags on and on and is frustrating to watch. Just watch the original series all the way through to the end. Only then, if you feel like it, should you watch Brotherhood. Though instead of that you should really watch Yasuhiro Irie's superior battle shounen show Code:Breaker.

Any other thoughts?

Are you willing to watch both? Because if so, watch both. If so watch the original and then Brotherhood. They end up being WILDLY different. I like them for different reasons.

As to when to stop the original, I think a good stopping point would be once Edward becomes an official government sanctioned alchemist. They rush past the early arcs, particularly the beginning.

I do want to emphasize that while Brotherhood has the superior action, I prefer the tone of the original better. The homunculi too

Any other thoughts?

You don't really need to watch any of the original to watch Brotherhood, it functions fine as a standalone product. If you're set on watching Brotherhood just watch it.

Okay thanks for the responses. What episode does the original series split off from the manga?

I don't think it's that clear cut. Story arcs are doing differently and in a different order to the point you'll spot differences in both.

FMA Brotherhood's first 15 episodes seem to largely cover the same arcs, but characters are completely different after a point. If you absolutely HAVE to only watch certain episodes of the original then only watch the beginning arc when they're small kids.

Sterok

Aikatsu 101

Of course Mizuki is still on top. Can't let anyone really beat the unbeatable goddess. Aoi is already clawing away at Aikatsu 8. I'm surprised Yurika is ahead of Otome. Akari can't stop crushing on Ichigo. She certainly has a lot of stamina though. Mizuki can't be too much of a dick to Mikuru. Her dancing has improved, but it's still below even early Ichigo. Surprise Soleil appearance. I knew they weren't going to end the season without one last dance from Aoi (whose last dance was episode 90) and Ran (in the 80s). They're definitely passing the baton onto Akari here.

There was a noticeable trend of starting or teasing some plot point and not delivering on it for 20+ episodes. The biggest examples were the Tristar break-up (which I didn't think would be addressed) and Aoi's letter. Then there was that scandal guy who was set up to do something but then never did? Did he have some plot that was dropped? Serious scandals don't fit this show anyway.

Season 2 was a continuation of what season 1 did. More Aikatsu stuff overall. Which is fine. The CG was a massive improvement overall, making the dances even more distinct and memorable. The plot was nothing to write home about, but who cares about the plot? It's all about the characters and their fun idol adventures. Well about them...

The new characters were hit and miss. Maybe not miss since none of them were terrible, but not all of them were characters I wanted to see more of. Seira was a perfectly good character with nice clothes, distinguishing rock music, and her own quirks. But she really boiled down to Ichigo 2.0, and when Ichigo herself is still around it's hard to get really invested into Seira. Same with Kii, who was Aoi 2.0. A good character with her own quirks and stuff, but she basically followed the same beats as Aoi almost the entire time. Though the producer reaching 10 on the rankings was really impressive I'll admit. Sora was kind of a bore though. Nothing particularly interesting about her aside from the parrot. Really nice dance though. Maria was fine, and her rich airhead provided some unique stuff. Dream's best character I thought was actually Headmistress Tiara. She provided a very different headmistress from Orihime, one that was inexperienced and not completely comfortable with what she had started. Dream managed to be a different school in many aspects, and was an okay rival despite the abundance of similar characters.

Mikuru was just bland. Yet another super awesome nearly perfect idol that starts at the top, this time with a plant gimmick. She didn't even draw anything out of Mizuki that made her a better character. Truly a waste whose dances should've been given to those in need.

Akari on the other hand was the exact opposite. Young and flawed, she was exactly the kind of new perspective the show needed. It's hard to appreciate what those on the top are like until you see them from the eyes of someone on the bottom of the ladder. She managed to be surprisingly endearing for such a late addition without a solid supporting cast. She worked hard, failed, tried, failed, tried, and finally improved a bit. It was actually pretty satisfying. Among all the great dances from the cream of the crop, Akari managed to have some of the best with her terrible-mediocre dancing and singing. The show succeeded in showing someone not being super amazing, and I think that's an achievement in its own right.

Most of the returning side cast suffered in screen-time, which was to be expected really. Naoto was the biggest one, as he went from constant adviser to guy that just appeared occasionally. Raichi had a good presence, especially with his newspaper with Noelle. Too bad he messed up with Aoi. Hikari continued to show up and pretend to be important for a scene, and then do absolutely nothing. Johnny was great as always. He deserves a documentary.

Not all of the first season's idols managed well in the transition to season 2. Mizuki remained mostly the same, and she got plenty of screen-time befitting her status of the final boss, but it quickly got tiring seeing the boring invincible idol dominate everything until the end. Especially since almost all the second half was about taking her down, which only kind of happened. Her dynamic with Mikuru was never interesting. She should've stuck with Kaede. Speaking of Kaede, she also didn't come out too well. You'd think that after being the underdeveloped enigma she was last season, we'd get some time to explore who she is, including her faults. Nope. Just a single group dance, and she spent the rest of the season screwing around, mostly with Yurika. It's especially disappointing because she's interesting, but she's never given the chance to shine. Plus she should've been connecting with Ichigo a lot after she came back from America, since Kaede is American herself. Probably the biggest disappointment of the season for me.

I'd say Shion didn't fare too well, but she really wasn't any worse off than she was in the first season. Not getting any dances was dumb and extremely disappointing, but she managed to be a semi-constant presence as a member of Powa Powa Puririn. It's sad, because she's a better developed character than most of the Starlight secondaries. Sakura suffered big time, especially after everyone else graduated to high school. It was expected, but she mostly disappeared in the second half. At least she managed to squeeze in two dances, which is more than Shion and Kaede can say.

Ran was the biggest victim in the seasonal transition. She was still a main character and got lots of screen-time along with several focus episodes, but nothing really happened with her. Most or all of her episodes felt fillerish, and she remained static the entire time. Sora being uninteresting didn't help her case. She more or less faded into moving scenery at best during the final 10 or so episodes. There was only room for duos there, and Ran was simply not needed. A pity seeing how she's still top tsundere, but she still got pretty good billing overall.

Other characters handled the new season pretty well. Otome did about as well as she could, mostly thanks to being the Starlight Queen. She got pushed to the forefront when a fourth character was needed, sometimes because of her status, sometimes just because. A decent amount of attention plus a constellation dress should've made Otome fans happy. Yurika was basically just vampire and tsundere jokes in the first half, but near the end she got a bunch of attention and a strong episode. She was handled better than I thought she would be for a gimmick character.

Despite Seira's claim on Ichigo, Aoi remained the deuteragonist and a strong character the entire way. She got a couple of surprisingly heavy episodes when she was chosen to represent Starlight, handled the intro for a bit, and her constellation episode was one of the strongest. She had a noticeable arc as well in becoming an unofficial producer (more than she already was) both with building up 2wingS and making her music video. It seemed that Orihime was grooming her for something big (her potential was called out a couple times, and she was called Starlight's pillar and future), but nothing has come of that yet. It does seem like something that will take awhile to happen if my guess is correct. Either way, she remained my favorite character, and while she didn't get a lot of dances she was a constant presence throughout even when the focus shifted to other characters. Along with Ichigo she's the only one to have not missed an episode yet.

Ichigo's adventures in America were certainly something. She became much more independent and less reliant on others (mostly Aoi) this time around. She was confident on what she wanted to do the whole way, and between Seira and Akari her shining status shows well. She was deified a little too much at some points (American adventures, cutting down a tree by herself quickly, admired by literally everyone), but the show managed to not make her too ridiculous for the most part. Almost everything that can be done with her has been done at this point, and I will say that she has been a surprisingly good protagonist compared to my early tepid expectations of her.

Season 2 wasn't quite as good as the first season overall despite the much improved CG. The main culprit was Dream Academy, which never managed to be as interesting as the Starlight girls. Seeing a bunch of favorites lose screen-time to a bunch of half knock-offs didn't endear me to them as much as it should've, even though it was inevitable. But it was still good overall. I can see why Aikatsu is popular overall. Now to see if season 3 changes things up a bit.

Texhnolyze 14-15

Mmmm yeah this show is just what I need, sci-fi that doesn't go full re-

Texhnolyze 16-17

JESUS FUCK. I mean it isn't necessarily bad, but I was enjoying the show just fine prior to this why did it have to shift so fucking much? It's still good and I get the message of artificial limbs and cyborg upgrades... but ga'damn this shit went cray

edit: according to the chart the show apparently starts getting 'get drunk depressing' episode 19. I'll go up to 18 and stop for the night.

fertygo

Nice write up Sterok!

Aikatsu's great, although last 10 eps or so from S2 with tuinks BS is definitely low point of the series, thankfully the movie fix that, you can watch it after eps 114.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So fucking bad. How do people tolerate this dub nonsense?
It's really as simple as people not wanting to read or "background" watching. It's strange, because people would not accept it with anything else... then again most people don't watch foreign movies I suppose.

It's really as simple as people not wanting to read or "background" watching. It's strange, because people would not accept it with anything else... then again most people don't watch foreign movies I suppose.

Background watching is totally understandable
I managed to watch the Akagi Drama in the background, I already know what happens though

I used to start off watching a dubbed version of a show first, and checking it out subbed later.

Nowadays I generally ask which version is preferred for the show I watch.

Generally, I'm finding subbed shows to be superior over their dubbed counterparts.

But there are a few shows that I prefer dubbed. Baccano!, Code Geass (I know I'm in the minority on this), Full Metal Panic, and Giant Robo.

Squishy3

I pretty much never watch dubs. I think the one show I did dub over sub for was Space Dandy for obvious reasons, I did watch both versions though for musical episodes
to this day i still think that statement one of the animators made back during season 1 about important foreshadowing was missing in the dub version is complete bullshit

javac

To know a bit about Metropolis, one would have to go all the way back to the year of 1927, to the release of the silent black and white sci-fi drama directed Fritz Lang, Metropolis. Inspired by the director’s first sights of the skyscrapers in New York, the film is known for its elaborate set designs, special effects and art deco architecture. Panned during its release by many critics, today it’s considered one of the crowning achievements of cinema, and definitely one of the best films of its time and era. Now I could talk about this film all day and night, however what I’m here to review today is a very different Metropolis, one with dazzling animation, a jazzy soundtrack, a vibrant world full of equally interesting characters all wrapped up in a highly enjoyable, complex story.
Metropolis is a 2001 animated film directed by Rintaro (Ginga Tetsudou 999 Movie) with a script by Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira) and animated by Madhouse. Metropolis is an adaption of the Osamu Tezuka manga of the same name which is loosely based off of the aforementioned 1927 film. How loosely? Well the manga itself was just based off of a single still image that Tezuka saw of the film, so pretty darn loosely as a matter of fact. The animated adaptation of the manga that I’m discussing here has many differences and liberties taken and is for all intents and purposes also a loose adaptation of the Tezuka manga. In fact I’d go as far as to say that this film takes more from the 1927 film than the Tezuka manga, if not equally as much. It’s obvious that a lot of adaptations fall into the mix, however what’s important here is the 2001 animated film, and although I could spend all day discussing the differences between each adaptation, I’ll try to fend off such urges. With that out of the way, let’s talk about the film and boy what a film it is.
Metropolis revolves around a character named Kenichi, a character that appears in most of Tezuka’s work. Kenichi is always depicted as a considerate, kind person and is the embodiment of the notion of childhood. As manga strove to become more adult and grown up as time went on, Tezuka eventually resigned him from his role as a main character but he still lived on as a symbol of that very important childhood. A mad scientist who resides in Metropolis (the name of the city) is assumed to have violated laws by trading organs, and so Kenichi and his uncle, detective Shunsaku Ban travel from Japan to Metropolis in order to find out more. It is here that Kenichi finds a girl named Tima who remembers nothing of her past and Kenichi decides to help her and so they run away. This is how our tale begins.
Metropolis is a film all about the class struggle between robots and humans and it’s a theme that Tezuka has explored again in the ever popular Astro Boy. It’s not a new or unique theme, but it’s still an interesting one to visit nonetheless. The city of Metropolis is ruled under a plutocracy, and as such only the tiniest margin of the wealthiest are at the top and rule over the rest of the city’s inhabitants and as the humans of Metropolis become more and more agitated at the ever growing population of robots, tensions between the two reach a boiling point.
I’m not going to beat around the bush here, the animation in Metropolis is absolutely sublime and without a doubt one of the most breath-taking visual experiences I’ve had in a long time. Metropolis makes use of CG which should in theory cause some alarm bells to start ringing, but to my surprise I have to say that it’s all incorporated into the feature film with finesse, a majority of the time. Sure I’d prefer it if the whole film was just traditionally animated, but at the same time the CG does in no way impede my enjoyment of neither the story nor the visuals. In general I believe that this should make it abundantly clear that although it’s natural to become suspicious over such facts, in the end if it doesn’t hamper your enjoyment, it’s done its job. A film being hand drawn doesn’t guarantee that it’ll look good, and in the same vein a film incorporating CG doesn’t necessarily indicate that it’ll look bad either. These are in the end tools used in order to reach a goal, and Metropolis is in no doubt fully realized here.
Backgrounds are intricately detailed and vibrant. The upper-class portions of the city are littered with art deco architecture. Art deco has always been associated with technological advancements, luxury and almost always used to indicate a faith in social progress. It doesn’t look to the past for inspiration and instead is a forward artistic movement, leading way to modern disciplines in both industrial and graphical design and as such makes perfect sense here. Metropolis is a city that looks to the future. Erich Kettelhut is the man behind the set designs, art direction and special effects of the 1927 Metropolis and his inspirations are felt throughout the 1 hour 50 minute duration of the 2001 animated film, and his designs are felt throughout the cityscape of Metropolis. The city itself is separated into zones, and as you’d expect, the lower you go the poorer the people you encounter become. The slums and lower zones in Metropolis although presented as dirty and small, still contains its own beauty. Some parts are full of intricate machinery, cold and cobbled together while others are colorful and yet rusting, built out of anything and everything the inhabitants could get their hands on. Buildings are put together like patchwork, mismatched with various assortments of materials and colors. It’s a juxtaposition that works amazingly well. It really encapsulates the notion that people live here, trying to make the most of their positions with everything they can at the same time displaying the conditions they have to live in, which are of a low quality. The higher zones are cold and calculated while the lower zones are full of life with the hustle and bustle of a breathing city. Most of our time is spent in the lower zones which I appreciate because this is where the most interesting backgrounds and characters reside.
Another aspect of Metropolis that I really appreciated was the character designs. Being an adaptation of a Tezuka manga, it’s fair to say that the character designs are very attractive and appealing to the eyes. Tezuka was known for having his characters making multiple appearances in many of his works, and as such the designs are very uniform across all of his work. Never the less they still manage to stand out and each one looks distinct. Tezuka was very much inspired by the likes of Disney and Max Fleischer and it’s this that makes the characters of Metropolis shine. 1930’s character designs brought to life with modern animation in a world full of intricate details juxtapose each other perfectly. The characters look simple and yet emotive, with fine details like hair movement that allow them to come to life. The design of Tima is without a doubt my favorite in the whole film. The characters themselves and their motives are very simple and rudimentary but suffice to say I had no issue with this since they were pleasant to be around and I felt entertained by them. The characters are the antithesis of subtle at times and the moral dilemmas are for the most part slapped over your head. Again what should be a clear negative never really bothered me as the visuals and music did a great job of distracting me in the moment. The characters didn’t really have a back story to have you invested in. In the end, the characters never the less are wholly likable and I really enjoyed their company as they toured me around this fascinating city.
The music in Metropolis is entirely made up of Jazz and to say that I enjoyed it is an understatement. The soundtrack is fantastic and when married together with the visuals it creates a tour de force that needs to be both seen and heard. Music is incorporated wonderfully and works with the art in order to foster a cool atmosphere. Speaking of audio, voice acting is fantastic here and everyone is perfectly cast. I recognized a fair few voices which is always a nice surprise. The voice of Tima is absolute perfection and adds that extra weight to the story and makes you care that much more about her. The voice actress hasn't done anything since and this was as far as I'm aware her first and only role and I'm disappointed that she didn't stick around. I don’t want to spoil anything in regards to the story, but let me tell you that the finale is a feast for the eyes and ears and I found it to be very emotional. Speaking of which…
The spectacle and scale of the film is a sight to behold at times. Even though it’s all confined to one city it still manages to wow me and leave me in a sense of awe and wonder as all the cogs turn and all of the chess pieces move into position. It’s a fantastic looking film with a huge sense of scale all the while focusing on the tale of two young characters that are pulled into a story that is larger than themselves. The cinematography is great and a fantastic use of color is utilized. Some weird transitions are used, such as a wipe transition and circle wipe transition, like those seen in Star Wars and old cartoons. It’s fair to say that this is a stylistic choice, one that feels at home here, if not a little weird since it’s a from a bygone era.
The pure definition of Metropolis is a large city that is a center of substantial political, cultural and economic value and home to commerce and communications. In that sense Metropolis is a place where the hustle and bustle of the city is alive and well, and amidst that commotion, lives are lived. People work day in and day out in order to survive, and although the skies are pierced by the monoliths we create, the shadows fall upon the people who live down below, their views of the sky obstructed by the people above. Power struggles and class warfare are common place, but every once in a while tranquility can be found amongst the chaos, and sometimes that spark can be found in the most unlikely of places, in the heart.
9/10

Texhnolyze 18
F9VHxmt.jpg

I am quite certain that the preceding events are not what I have asked for. Also the use of Deus Ex is extremely appropriate. I feel like this anime is the plot of the upcoming game.

Everything (in the universe not the show necessarily) has gone to shit. As long as my OTP makes it through
yes even with outright rape it's still my OTP in the morality of this world
I'll be happy I guess.

to this day i still think that statement one of the animators made back during season 1 about important foreshadowing was missing in the dub version is complete bullshit

Thats because it was. One line would not suddenly and drastically change Dandy's plot which only mattered in the last two episodes.

I think what he was saying was kind of misinterpreted though.

kewlmyc

I used to start off watching a dubbed version of a show first, and checking it out subbed later.

Nowadays I generally ask which version is preferred for the show I watch.

Generally, I'm finding subbed shows to be superior over their dubbed counterparts.

But there are a few shows that I prefer dubbed. Baccano!, Code Geass (I know I'm in the minority on this), Full Metal Panic, and Giant Robo.

Bacanno dubbed is better that it subbed, so I won't fault you on that one.

GANGSTA 05
Great fight animation, but I'm not buying the final suspenseful cut. That was clearly the doctor from the clinic, hence why Nina is all buy herself. Why he would kidnap Alex, I don't know but that's for next time I suppose.

Dragon Ball Super 04
I wouldn't think this was dragging on if not for having just watched Battle of the Gods not to long ago. They better not make the SSJ3 Goku vs Beerus fight last a whole episode considering it lasted 2 minutes in the movie.

Sterok

Nice write up Sterok!

Aikatsu's great, although last 10 eps or so from S2 with tuinks BS is definitely low point of the series, thankfully the movie fix that, you can watch it after eps 114.

Why are those episodes considered the low point? I wasn't a fan of those because the two groups ate up all the attention, leaving nothing for anyone else aside from the producer duo, but not necessarily to the extent that I'd call them the low point. I'm curious as to what the general opinion is of season 2 and Dream Academy.

Crocodile

I mean I can't think of many people on our side of the Pacific who would give Sugita a run for his money when he's on his A game but this was still perfectly serviceable. Or were you saying that?

Dubbing animated shows (especially Japanese ones which don't tend to be super particular about mouth movement) is not the same as dubbing live action where mouth movement is deliberate, body language is often cultural specific or tied to dialogue in a way that not represented in most animation, etc. It's not an apples to apples comparison and when people try to make it so I feel they are being very disingenious. Also every once in a while you get dubs that nail it out of the park and/or are better than the JP track. Kill la Kill for example is 100% better dubbed in English than in Japanese.

Risette

A Good Citizen
i don't see how it's disingenuous. the original is always preferable when consuming foreign media, animated or otherwise.

javac

That took a while to write, I find it so hard to start reviews but its good to have it out the way only to find a million typo's as soon as you press post :p As such, I won't write a Kaiba review for a little while.

In regards to dubs and subs, I always watch everything with subs, with the exception to the Ghibli films. I really like the dubs for them and its more of a social thing, I found that watching a film with Japanese audio wouldn't capture my little brothers imagination while watching say Ponyo with the English audio he would sit down and watch it too. I think that the only series I really watched dubbed was Bebop and various Toonami series I'd watch as a kid on TV (Tenchi, DBZ etc). I tried watching the first episode of Baccano subbed but never actually finished the first episode, I was told that the dub was better but I'm not sure if that audio is what caused me to get bored so quickly :p

That took a while to write, I find it so hard to start reviews but its good to have it out the way only to find a million typo's as soon as you press post :p As such, I won't write a Kaiba review for a little while.

In regards to dubs and subs, I always watch everything with subs, with the exception to the Ghibli films. I really like the dubs for them and its more of a social thing, I found that watching a film with Japanese audio wouldn't capture my little brothers imagination while watching say Ponyo with the English audio he would sit down and watch it too. I think that the only series I really watched dubbed was Bebop and various Toonami series I'd watch as a kid on TV (Tenchi, DBZ etc). I tried watching the first episode of Baccano subbed but never actually finished the first episode, I was told that the dub was better but I'm not sure if that audio is what caused me to get bored so quickly :p

Ghibli films have really good dubs in every language, they can even afford Christian Bale and Matt Damon, somehow. Although they aren't really VA they give good performances for sure. For kids its better to watch dubs I would imagine, that much is true.

Oh yeah, if Dragon Ball Super was dubbed I would probably watch it dubbed just because of nostalgia. I like the sub too, would be better if Resurrection of C would happen so Wakamoto can be in it.

Narag

I mean I can't think of many people on our side of the Pacific who would give Sugita a run for his money when he's on his A game but this was still perfectly serviceable. Or were you saying that?

I was. There's a goofy charm to it and a little overacting is fitting in the same vein as the original Giant Robo dub.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Background watching is totally understandable
I managed to watch the Akagi Drama in the background, I already know what happens though
I just background watch anime in Japanese now. If there's something I really need to understand, I'll just look at the screen. Slice of life shows are so samey that you basically know what's going on without needing to know everything that's going on anyway. lol

Dubbing animated shows (especially Japanese ones which don't tend to be super particular about mouth movement) is not the same as dubbing live action where mouth movement is deliberate, body language is often cultural specific or tied to dialogue in a way that not represented in most animation, etc. It's not an apples to apples comparison and when people try to make it so I feel they are being very disingenious. Also every once in a while you get dubs that nail it out of the park and/or are better than the JP track. Kill la Kill for example is 100% better dubbed in English than in Japanese.

I've said it a few times, but for me the problem with dubs - acting ability aside - is that American audio production is done completely differently from the Japanese method of production. You can tell that the American actors are not all in the same room together and record their lines independently of each other, and it shows. Disney probably gets away with it because they can just afford to put more money into recording and re-recording lines. With Funimation pushing to have every single show dubbed, and also to have simuldubs? There's no way the quality is going to match the Japanese counterparts. If anything, they probably have the actors record their lines for three or four episodes at a time in order to be able to put something out weekly.

i don't see how it's disingenuous. the original is always preferable when consuming foreign media, animated or otherwise.
This too. And I'll say it probably works the other way as well - I have no doubt that the American versions of Disney movies are probably superior to any foreign dub of them.

Fox318

To know a bit about Metropolis, one would have to go all the way back to the year of 1927, to the release of the silent black and white sci-fi drama directed Fritz Lang, Metropolis. Inspired by the director’s first sights of the skyscrapers in New York, the film is known for its elaborate set designs, special effects and art deco architecture. Panned during its release by many critics, today it’s considered one of the crowning achievements of cinema, and definitely one of the best films of its time and era. Now I could talk about this film all day and night, however what I’m here to review today is a very different Metropolis, one with dazzling animation, a jazzy soundtrack, a vibrant world full of equally interesting characters all wrapped up in a highly enjoyable, complex story.

Metropolis is a 2001 animated film directed by Rintaro (Ginga Tetsudou 999 Movie) with a script by Katsuhiro Otomo (Akira) and animated by Madhouse. Metropolis is an adaption of the Osamu Tezuka manga of the same name which is loosely based off of the aforementioned 1927 film. How loosely? Well the manga itself was just based off of a single still image that Tezuka saw of the film, so pretty darn loosely as a matter of fact. The animated adaptation of the manga that I’m discussing here has many differences and liberties taken and is for all intents and purposes also a loose adaptation of the Tezuka manga. In fact I’d go as far as to say that this film takes more from the 1927 film than the Tezuka manga, if not equally as much. It’s obvious that a lot of adaptations fall into the mix, however what’s important here is the 2001 animated film, and although I could spend all day discussing the differences between each adaptation, I’ll try to fend off such urges. With that out of the way, let’s talk about the film and boy what a film it is.

Metropolis revolves around a character named Kenichi, a character that appears in most of Tezuka’s work. Kenichi is always depicted as a considerate, kind person and is the embodiment of the notion of childhood. As manga strove to become more adult and grown up as time went on, Tezuka eventually resigned him from his role as a main character but he still lived on as a symbol of that very important childhood. A mad scientist who resides in Metropolis (the name of the city) is assumed to have violated laws by trading organs, and so Kenichi and his uncle, detective Shunsaku Ban travel from Japan to Metropolis in order to find out more. It is here that Kenichi finds a girl named Tima who remembers nothing of her past and Kenichi decides to help her and so they run away. This is how our tale begins.

Metropolis is a film all about the class struggle between robots and humans and it’s a theme that Tezuka has explored again in the ever popular Astro Boy. It’s not a new or unique theme, but it’s still an interesting one to visit nonetheless. The city of Metropolis is ruled under a plutocracy, and as such only the tiniest margin of the wealthiest are at the top and rule over the rest of the city’s inhabitants and as the humans of Metropolis become more and more agitated at the ever growing population of robots, tensions between the two reach a boiling point.

I’m not going to beat around the bush here, the animation in Metropolis is absolutely sublime and without a doubt one of the most breath-taking visual experiences I’ve had in a long time. Metropolis makes use of CG which should in theory cause some alarm bells to start ringing, but to my surprise I have to say that it’s all incorporated into the feature film with finesse, a majority of the time. Sure I’d prefer it if the whole film was just traditionally animated, but at the same time the CG does in no way impede my enjoyment of neither the story nor the visuals. In general I believe that this should make it abundantly clear that although it’s natural to become suspicious over such facts, in the end if it doesn’t hamper your enjoyment, it’s done its job. A film being hand drawn doesn’t guarantee that it’ll look good, and in the same vein a film incorporating CG doesn’t necessarily indicate that it’ll look bad either. These are in the end tools used in order to reach a goal, and Metropolis is in no doubt fully realized here.

Backgrounds are intricately detailed and vibrant. The upper-class portions of the city are littered with art deco architecture. Art deco has always been associated with technological advancements, luxury and almost always used to indicate a faith in social progress. It doesn’t look to the past for inspiration and instead is a forward artistic movement, leading way to modern disciplines in both industrial and graphical design and as such makes perfect sense here. Metropolis is a city that looks to the future. Erich Kettelhut is the man behind the set designs, art direction and special effects of the 1927 Metropolis and his inspirations are felt throughout the 1 hour 50 minute duration of the 2001 animated film, and his designs are felt throughout the cityscape of Metropolis. The city itself is separated into zones, and as you’d expect, the lower you go the poorer the people you encounter become. The slums and lower zones in Metropolis although presented as dirty and small, still contains its own beauty. Some parts are full of intricate machinery, cold and cobbled together while others are colorful and yet rusting, built out of anything and everything the inhabitants could get their hands on. Buildings are put together like patchwork, mismatched with various assortments of materials and colors. It’s a juxtaposition that works amazingly well. It really encapsulates the notion that people live here, trying to make the most of their positions with everything they can at the same time displaying the conditions they have to live in, which are of a low quality. The higher zones are cold and calculated while the lower zones are full of life with the hustle and bustle of a breathing city. Most of our time is spent in the lower zones which I appreciate because this is where the most interesting backgrounds and characters reside.

Another aspect of Metropolis that I really appreciated was the character designs. Being an adaptation of a Tezuka manga, it’s fair to say that the character designs are very attractive and appealing to the eyes. Tezuka was known for having his characters making multiple appearances in many of his works, and as such the designs are very uniform across all of his work. Never the less they still manage to stand out and each one looks distinct. Tezuka was very much inspired by the likes of Disney and Max Fleischer and it’s this that makes the characters of Metropolis shine. 1930’s character designs brought to life with modern animation in a world full of intricate details juxtapose each other perfectly. The characters look simple and yet emotive, with fine details like hair movement that allow them to come to life. The design of Tima is without a doubt my favorite in the whole film. The characters themselves and their motives are very simple and rudimentary but suffice to say I had no issue with this since they were pleasant to be around and I felt entertained by them. The characters are the antithesis of subtle at times and the moral dilemmas are for the most part slapped over your head. Again what should be a clear negative never really bothered me as the visuals and music did a great job of distracting me in the moment. The characters didn’t really have a back story to have you invested in. In the end, the characters never the less are wholly likable and I really enjoyed their company as they toured me around this fascinating city.

The music in Metropolis is entirely made up of Jazz and to say that I enjoyed it is an understatement. The soundtrack is fantastic and when married together with the visuals it creates a tour de force that needs to be both seen and heard. Music is incorporated wonderfully and works with the art in order to foster a cool atmosphere. Speaking of audio, voice acting is fantastic here and everyone is perfectly cast. I recognized a fair few voices which is always a nice surprise. The voice of Tima is absolute perfection and adds that extra weight to the story and makes you care that much more about her. The voice actress hasn't done anything since and this was as far as I'm aware her first and only role and I'm disappointed that she didn't stick around. I don’t want to spoil anything in regards to the story, but let me tell you that the finale is a feast for the eyes and ears and I found it to be very emotional. Speaking of which…

The spectacle and scale of the film is a sight to behold at times. Even though it’s all confined to one city it still manages to wow me and leave me in a sense of awe and wonder as all the cogs turn and all of the chess pieces move into position. It’s a fantastic looking film with a huge sense of scale all the while focusing on the tale of two young characters that are pulled into a story that is larger than themselves. The cinematography is great and a fantastic use of color is utilized. Some weird transitions are used, such as a wipe transition and circle wipe transition, like those seen in Star Wars and old cartoons. It’s fair to say that this is a stylistic choice, one that feels at home here, if not a little weird since it’s a from a bygone era.

The pure definition of Metropolis is a large city that is a center of substantial political, cultural and economic value and home to commerce and communications. In that sense Metropolis is a place where the hustle and bustle of the city is alive and well, and amidst that commotion, lives are lived. People work day in and day out in order to survive, and although the skies are pierced by the monoliths we create, the shadows fall upon the people who live down below, their views of the sky obstructed by the people above. Power struggles and class warfare are common place, but every once in a while tranquility can be found amongst the chaos, and sometimes that spark can be found in the most unlikely of places, in the heart.

9/10
fantastic write-up.

I remember being blown away when I caught this movie on cartoon network. Had no prior knowledge of the movie and wound up staying awake til 3 am to finish the film.

javac

Ghibli films have really good dubs in every language, they can even afford Christian Bale and Matt Damon, somehow. Although they aren't really VA they give good performances for sure. For kids its better to watch dubs I would imagine, that much is true.

Oh yeah, if Dragon Ball Super was dubbed I would probably watch it dubbed just because of nostalgia. I like the sub too, would be better if Resurrection of C would happen so Wakamoto can be in it.

Yup the Ghibli films are great in that regard. I'm sure purists have a list compiled of changes in the script, but overall its all handled with respect and great performances. Disney really put effort in them, I like that.

Its weird because I assume like with most people, when you read subtitles you automatically hear their voices saying those words, and everything syncs up but sometimes for a split second I remember that I'm reading something and its weird hah.

One of my favorite viewing experiences was watching Patlabor The Movie 2 Subtitled, it really added to the frantic nature of the film and made me feel as if I was on ground zero amidst the missiles. Needless to say I was sweating a lot by the end haha.

Nostalgia plays a huge role as you mention, but I could just as easily watch DBZ/Super subbed and still enjoy it. A lot of people can't handle the voices for it but I think its fine.

fantastic write-up.

I remember being blown away when I caught this movie on cartoon network. Had no prior knowledge of the movie and wound up staying awake til 3 am to finish the film.

Thank you for your comment, I appreciate it :) Definitely an amazing film I hold up there with similar works like Akira and Memories and such, a visual/audio powerhouse that grabs your attention and never lets go, so no wonder you was up until 3! It seems to be a lot more decisive than I expected, with some people not feeling it at all, which is perfectly fine, but I'm glad you appreciated it too.

fertygo

Why are those episodes considered the low point? I wasn't a fan of those because the two groups ate up all the attention, leaving nothing for anyone else aside from the producer duo, but not necessarily to the extent that I'd call them the low point. I'm curious as to what the general opinion is of season 2 and Dream Academy.

One of my biggest repeat complain when I marathon the S2 and putting impression on here is how I didn't like how they pushing to my throat Seira is supposed to be Ichigo's equal/soulmate or whatever is that, the whole thing just felt unnatural because they need to try pushing new side of girls.

Fox318

Charlotte 1-5

Enjoying the show so far but the comedy segments feel so out of place like the stupid baseball episode. This show reminds me of Eva where you know it's going to get dark as Fuck and you've already been given some hints with the stuff with scientists.

Crocodile

I've said it a few times, but for me the problem with dubs - acting ability aside - is that American audio production is done completely differently from the Japanese method of production. You can tell that the American actors are not all in the same room together and record their lines independently of each other, and it shows. Disney probably gets away with it because they can just afford to put more money into recording and re-recording lines. With Funimation pushing to have every single show dubbed, and also to have simuldubs? There's no way the quality is going to match the Japanese counterparts. If anything, they probably have the actors record their lines for three or four episodes at a time in order to be able to put something out weekly.

I'm aware of the differences between how American and Japanese studios tend to dub products. That will definitely influence the final product. I'm saying that the issues that make live action dubs awkward to me (and I feel most other people as well) are non-issues for Japanese animation.

This too. And I'll say it probably works the other way as well - I have no doubt that the American versions of Disney movies are probably superior to any foreign dub of them.

But the thing is this is factually untrue (for anime anyway). I've heard English dubs that have ranged from significantly worse to slight worse to about on par to slightly better to significantly better than their Japanese counterparts on pretty much every metric you want to measure (acting, intonation, delivery, script, etc.)

At the end of the day its likes this: I cannot recall a single live action movie/series I've watched in its original language with subtitles or dubbed in English where I thought the later was a better product. I can think of many anime I've watched in its original language with subtitles or dubbed in English where I thought the later was a better product

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm aware of the differences between how American and Japanese studios tend to dub products. That will definitely influence the final product. I'm saying that the issues that make live action dubs awkward to me (and I feel most other people as well) are non-issues for Japanese animation.
I think they are there, which is why I don't enjoy them as much. Although the last ones I listened to in full were K-On, the Gintama movie, GuP, and Infinite Stratos. The only one I can say I liked was IS, and that's because they were purposefully terrible.

But the thing is this is factually untrue (for anime anyway). I've heard English dubs that have ranged from significantly worse to slight worse to about on par to slightly better to significantly better than their Japanese counterparts on pretty much every metric you want to measure (acting, intonation, delivery, script, etc.)

At the end of the day its likes this: I cannot recall a single live action movie/series I've watched in its original language with subtitles or dubbed in English where I thought the later was a better product. I can think of many anime I've watched in its original language with subtitles or dubbed in English where I thought the later was a better product
I'll defer to your expertise, since I'll be honest when I say that I don't really go out of my way to watch dubs and have not partaken in any simuldubs. The ones from "classic" shows like FMP, FMA, and Ouran were mostly average to me... and certainly to the point where I preferred the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom