• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterok

One of my biggest repeat complain when I marathon the S2 and putting impression on here is how I didn't like how they pushing to my throat Seira is supposed to be Ichigo's equal/soulmate or whatever is that, the whole thing just felt unnatural because they need to try pushing new side of girls.

Yeah, that was weird. No matter what they said, Seira was not the opposite of Ichigo like they tried to make her be. The two being destined was off seeing how the first season implied Mizuki or Aoi was Ichigo's destined partner (or a threesome with Aoi/Ran).

Aikatsu 102

New op. It's great. It makes the season feel like it's starting off with a fresh, new, and younger cast. New ed is great as well. When I joked earlier that I wouldn't mind Akari taking over the show, I was honestly joking and had no idea she was being groomed to be the new main character. I think getting to know her well before her starring role dampers the excitement a bit, since I already have a strong handle on her personality and whatnot. But I also think she's a more interesting protagonist than Ichigo, so I'll let it slide.

Akari has the worst luck. How does a roof leak that badly? Seems that Sakura traded season 2 screen-time for an expanded season 3 role. That's going to work out well for her. Yuu is already demoted. I'm guessing she'll be Shion'd at best. Sumire seems decent so far. Reserved, logical, a bit overly competitive (or was at least), into tarot cards, and likes Yurika of all people. She seems like a decent contrast to Akari.

My main hope for season 3 is that it not riff off earlier material, but instead does new stuff. Season 2 was hurt by Dream students being so similar to Starlight, and many of their plots hit similar beats to what was already seen. The first episode being a reskinned version of an early season 1 episode (right down to the roommate winning the battle to being beloved senpai's manager) doesn't fill me with confidence, but there's time for Akari and co. to make their own unique mark. Sumire is different at least. Not as good as her predecessor, but everyone would be a disappointment compared to Aoi, so I can't hold that against her. Mostly I want the characters to be different. If they're similar to Ichigo, Aoi, and Ran, I'll just want to go back to Ichigo, Aoi, and Ran.

fertygo

Yeah, that was weird. No matter what they said, Seira was not the opposite of Ichigo like they tried to make her be. The two being destined was off seeing how the first season implied Mizuki or Aoi was Ichigo's destined partner (or a threesome with Aoi/Ran).
Yeah I much rather Ichigo take down Mizuki with Soleil, instead I supposed to believe she made better combination with Seira which made no sense at all
Aikatsu 102
snip

First 13 eps of S3 retreading S1 by a LOT, its quite fun tho because its invoking nostalgic feeling of key moment of Ichigo and co story before the new cast truly taking off by their own.

I'll hold off commenting any further tho :D

Mailbox

dc34fdcbe9f2dd452b1f8881db67aa0f.jpg

I don't like doing long impressions so i'll keep it short.

Having watched Noragami and Shakugan no shana and many others, I've noticed that these sorts of shows fall into constant (if small) problems, but most end up being enjoyable. In the back of my mind I kinda wondered what it would be like if a show that was like those ones was broken.

Well I got my answer.
Character intentions all over the place, Name dropping in all the wrong places, retcons, inconsistencies ranging from small in-episode fare to "ok that's some fucking bullshit".

This show proves that you can't save a broken plot, broken lore, and broken character intentions by having great visuals and good voice talent (i watched subs).

A lot of the problems could have been dealt with rather easily, but nothing is really ever foreshadowed, and if it is, its rarely a good use of it.

A friend recommended this to me when we were talking about good anime the other may have not watched, and this was the only one he suggested that I actually hadn't watched.
I can understand people liking the art of it, but this show is almost exactly what other gaffer's have said: A shame and waste for Kyoani.

Its really weird to think that Hyouka, which was a year early did right what this show did wrong.

cajunator

Banned
dc34fdcbe9f2dd452b1f8881db67aa0f.jpg

I don't like doing long impressions so i'll keep it short.

Having watched Noragami and Shakugan no shana and many others, I've noticed that these sorts of shows fall into constant (if small) problems, but most end up being enjoyable. In the back of my mind I kinda wondered what it would be like if a show that was like those ones was broken.

Well I got my answer.
Character intentions all over the place, Name dropping in all the wrong places, retcons, inconsistencies ranging from small in-episode far to "ok that's some fucking bullshit".

This show proves that you can't save a broken plot, broken lore, and broken character intentions by having great visuals and good voice talent (i watched subs).

A lot of the problems could have been dealt with rather easily, but nothing is really ever foreshadowed, and if it is, its rarely a good use of it.

A friend recommended this to me when we were talking about good anime the other may have not watched, and this was the only one he suggested that I actually hadn't watched.
I can understand people liking the art of it, but this show is almost exactly what other gaffer's have said: A shame and waste for Kyoani.

Its really weird to think that Hyouka, which was a year early did right what this show did wrong.

What this show did right: Mirai, catgirl mom, cool abilities, idoru culture
what this show did wrong: everything else

unfortunate waste of a really cute character.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So JoJo dub with British accents is the first sign that the greater world outside of this thread is finally listening to what I have to say.

Oh, you're that TUSR from Dota 2?!?

In proper dota fashion you rushed your typing, too.

PS: We should do a dota 2 Gaf community battle. AnimeGaf shall prevail.

MSMrRound

Shirobako special episode 2: Third Aerial Girls' Squad

Having a laugh spotting some of the parts that were referenced to in the anime. Other than that, the CGI is pretty meh. It's a good callback to Shirobako (season 2, when?), but nothing more.

Non Non Biyori Repeat 1 - I thought this was a sequel and Renge had moved from kindergarten in season 1 to 1st grade here in season 2. Apparently it's a repeat from different perspectives? Such a strange thing to do, but I if the stories are new I don't mind it at all. Such a relaxing, light-hearted show.

TUSR

Banned
Shirobako special episode 2: Third Aerial Girls' Squad

Having a laugh spotting some of the parts that were referenced to in the anime. Other than that, the CGI is pretty meh. It's a good callback to Shirobako (season 2, when?), but nothing more.
S2 never

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 128

Ah yes, at last we arrive to the infamous fourth season, the Super S season or for the manga the arc that was entitled Dreams because that was an accurate title. Anyway, so we are at what many consider to be the worst of Sailor Moon as the series decided to take a bit of a regression from the dark and complex moral ambiguity seen in Infinity/S and taking the time to explore the dreams of a little girl and her white knight of a Pegasus. It has been a very long time since I have watched this arc though I recall thinking that the Dreams arc was indeed pretty acrid for a good chuck of time and I do remember there being problems with this season but more on that in the weeks ahead.

Indeed the theme of dreams is apparent immediately as we are introduced to said Pegasus who was clearly pegged to be he breakout character for this season considering how much prominence he is getting. Speaking of prominence, the profile of ChibiUsa has been raised to that of co-main star once again and this time she is being treated much more seriously in her role as Sailor Chibi Moon and indeed as much as I enjoyed the joke she was in S, this is ultimately the right choice because the joke felt so very out of place when shit got real.

Oh yes, the Outer Guardians are still gone and they will make no appearances in the season of Super S, they probably would have had things worked out better but more on that later. On the other hand a couple of the non powered human friends have ben dragged out of mothballs since this is the start of a season and a personal connection is needed to establish the menace of the season and this time around we get, The Circus. The Dead Moon Circus to be exact, whom are a lot creepier then I remember and we are introduced to Ziroconia and her footmen, The Eyes, who were so minor in the manga I barely remember them. The mission this time around is the hunt of the Pegasus who exists in the dream of somebody. The usual happens and since this is a new season everybody has to be useless until the new hotness is prepared. In this case the upgrade is the return of the Super Sailor Moon and the debut of the Sailor Chibi Moon form and a new weapon and a new finishing move that had yet to be named and was kind of lame honestly. Anyway, all and all this was an decent if typical start of the season, recommendation to watch.

Mandelbo

I thought this was a sequel and Renge had moved from kindergarten in season 1 to 1st grade here in season 2. Apparently it's a repeat from different perspectives? Such a strange thing to do, but I if the stories are new I don't mind it at all. Such a relaxing, light-hearted show.
Non Non Biyori Repeat 1

:p
Well, at the moment it seems less like it's retreading stuff we've seen before and more like it's slotting new scenarios in between ones covered in the first season.

javac

New releases for this week (08/04/15)

Blu-ray
The Troubled Life of Miss Kotoura: Complete Series [NISA]
Run Time: 288 min
Audio: Japanese
Subtitles: English
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs)
Price: BD @ Rightstuf.com: $48.74
bTV5Gywm.jpg

mfcBpBFl.jpg

Space Brothers: Collection 4 [Sentai]
Run Time: 325 min
Audio: Japanese: DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0
Format: Two-disc set (2 BDs)
Price: BD @ Rightstuf.com: $38.99
DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $32.49
skZvAvsm.jpg

DVD
Sakura Trick: Complete Collection [Sentai]
Run Time: 300 min
Audio: Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0
Format: Two-disc set (2 DVDs)
Price: DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $32.49
TmWZJksm.jpg

Turn A Gundam: Part 2 [TRSI]
Run Time: 625 min
Audio: Japanese
Format: Six-disc set (6 DVDs)
Price: DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $33.49
sD96VqAm.jpg

Please Twins!: Complete Collection [TRSI]
Audio: English: Dolby Digital 2.0 / Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0
Format: Four-disc set (4 DVDs)
Price: DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $23.99
Fh0iyEcm.jpg

Pokemon The Series: XY Set 1 [Viz]
Run Time: 600 min
Audio: English
Subtitles: None
Format: Three-disc set (3 DVDs)
Price: DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $24.26
hkFzeBpm.jpg

Also since I never posted last weeks releases, Windy Tales released.
Windy Tales: Complete Collection [Sentai]
Audio: Japanese: Dolby Digital 2.0
Format: Three-disc set (3 DVDs)
Price: DVD @ Rightstuf.com: $32.49
Mm6lRqqm.jpg

BluWacky

Also since I never posted last weeks releases, Windy Tales released.

Good lord. I never thought I'd see the day.

Was Windy Tales ever produced in HD? I can't remember; I know it was widescreen but it was long enough ago that I can't recall dates, broadcast format etc.

javac

Windy Tales was never released on Blu-ray/HD. It's still in my To watch List. I remember discovering it on some random Japanese auction website when the tiny thumbnail showed up as a recommendation (I was looking at some Oshii collection, I guess the connection is Production I.G) and the thumbnail caught my attention, even-though it was tiny. I find things in the weirdest of places.

Bigger artwork in case anyone is interested:

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 129:

Good god, all of a sudden this series or this season is pulling out some really obscure characters who we have not season in a few seasons and if I recall correctly, Rekia is an anime only character to boot. I'll be honest, seeing Sailor Moon pull out this much continuity is kind of freaking me out. They remember she went to Africa to do some research and she now much choose to go to Europe for 10 years to continue said research or stay around and be the girlfriend of Motoki the Crown Arcade tender. I suppose this is better then just pulling a new random friend out of their ass but I give about the same amount of fucks about this, none at all. Anyway, The Eyes are the highlight of the early going by a mile and are trade up from any of the Death Buster point guards. Also, we get the first transformation of the season and it is Chibi Moon, who is still useless outside of Super mode. Anyway, it is back to formula for awhile, mildest recommendation to watch.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Interesting DBZ anime fact for you all. While the English dub for the American and British broadcasts were basically identical, they did revoice every occasion the letter Z is announced as 'zee' with 'zed'.

javac

Interesting DBZ anime fact for you all. While the English dub for the American and British broadcasts were basically identical, they did revoice every occasion the letter Z is announced as 'zee' with 'zed'.

lol, why are you so silly BGBW.

Cornbread78

Charlotte 1-5

Enjoying the show so far but the comedy segments feel so out of place like the stupid baseball episode. This show reminds me of Eva where you know it's going to get dark as Fuck and you've already been given some hints with the stuff with scientists.

It should start in this week's episode. The death flag was potentially just raised for imouto. Either that or her power is awakening which will kick off a new set of events. The anime creator admitted the first 6 would be slow

Honestly, I see this as a good thing.

Now you guys can see Shirbako as its own, perfect, standalone thing. I didn't watch Shirobako, but from what I heard of it, it sounds like everything wrapped up nicely.

Wishing for sequels to perfect things often ends in disaster guys.

Gundam SEED fans got Gundam SEED Destiny.

Madoka fans got Madoka Rebellion (I know some of you like it but darn it I'm still salty. >_<)

GBF fans got GBF TRY.

Eureka Seven fans got Eureka Seven AO!

Let it be guys. I learned this lesson the hard way.

John Blade

Just watching this 1st episode twice. 1st time it's Jap dub while the 2nd is Eng dub. It look like the Eng dub is the winner and will watch it for the entire series. Now I understand why people say watch this show in Eng dub.

I guess my quick impression I have for this episode is I like the post-apocalyptic world feel. It feel like the city is slowly dying and people is just trying to stay alive. This explain why the rebel is attacking the government force (I guess you can say about them) just to get some supplies even knowing they might get kill during the process.

The wolf story is interesting to hear even though they didn't explain too much about it. It say that wolves population went extinct for 200 years but didn't explain what cause this. My guess is the destruction of their habitats by human maybe the reason why they die off. Even with this, you know that isn't true as we just saw 3 wolves in this episode and look like they take the human form just to stay alive in the new world they live in.

The guy who shot the wolf without any good reason except he don`t like wolf. It will be interesting to found out more about his reason and maybe his past as it will give us a good idea of why he hate them with passion.

This is the 1st time you`re introduce with 4 new characters (Kiba, Tsume, Hige and Cheza). My impression between them.

Kiba to me as someone who have too much pride of his wolf form without realizing he need to survive in the new world he live in. I guess at the end of the episode, he realize he won`t able to survive like this and suck his pride and turn himself as a human form. An interesting character and will want to know more about him.

Tsume look like a strong leader but doesn`t really care of other people (or just use them to finish a task without any care if they die). You can see this when he and Kiba fight and they interact about the gang and also when he ask his gang to bring the wolf out from the tree without any care if the people will get kill. Also, he does have a hint of humility when he did try to save someone but let the guy go and die. Will keep an eye on him.

Hige isn`t in here that long but my impression with him is a happy go luck personalities. You see this when he interact with Kiba when he was in prison. Will be interesting to see more about him in later episode.

Cheza is very mysterious. She is inside this liquid sphere and manage to wake up after she sense the wolves blood based on people who is checking on her. I can`t say much as they isn`t much to go into for her. I guess we will found out more about her in later episode.

They`re more characters in this show but for now, I will wait and see if they more opinion about them.

For music and BGM, it`s very well done for this episode. Also, the end music is great and maybe the reason why I found out about this show.

Overall, a very good episode and got me interested in the story. Hope to found out what happened in the next episode.

Ace of Diamond Second Season Episode 18
CLfEIR7UMAEVLqi.jpg
CLfEytFWUAAXEj2.jpg

Kind of figured they would do that for the cliffhanger, the last three minutes felt so long. But I was at the edge of my seat the whole time once Sawamura was up there.

fertygo

Now you guys can see Shirbako as its own, perfect, standalone thing. I didn't watch Shirobako, but from what I heard of it, it sounds like everything wrapped up nicely.

Madoka fans got Madoka Rebellion (I know some of you like it but darn it I'm still salty. >_<)

GBF fans got GBF TRY.

Err.. Shirobako is slice of life title, which actually have very successful history of sequel.

For example ARIA and K-ON most fan believe their best title came from sequel

title that you listed is mecha action show that its sequel always came with bigger, grander, and better expectation that its as opposite as it get from expectation of slice of life title.

Cornbread78

Himouto! Umaru-chan ep. 4:

Well more cuteness to kick off the week. That Poke'mon parody when she broker the thing was hilarious "approaches bobbing his head" She's quite the gamer too.

H1PSTER

I just watched Redline and oh my is it an incredible masterpiece.

I loved everything, the art style and the music are just above anything else I've experienced in this genre.

I can't wait to explore anime some more.

phaze

Mushishi OVA - Hihamukage

Dawwww, even when separated, they look at the same star and think of each other. I hope that the fact that Tanyaa reappeared, being only the second person do so, means she got upped to a recurring role. Loved al the callbacks in this episode: the quick flashes to all the people from the preceding 26 episodes, the archives with Tanyaa or the return to concept of people disappearing because of exposure to the Mushi. The eclipse conundrum may have been the most "apocalyptic" mushi problem yet and the way it flowed, or in some respects mirrored the problems of the two sisters was very well done. The latter thing came dangerously close to going overboard with forced drama but fortunately, quickly turned back from that path. Lovely and very pretty OVA. The new sound choices helped too.

Cornbread78

Working S3 ep. 1-5
tumblr_nrpgi3w0IZ1uo77uno1_500.gif

Well, it looks like we FINALLY have some relationships moving forward in the third season. That episode with Sato was pretty damn good. Drunk Nee-san giving dating/drinking advice was hilarious, especially as it played out. I hope they can sort it out soon enough! Also, Inami really just needs to come out and fess up, the same with Tak that cannot be mature about his feelings either; he has to have figured it all out by now, I mean, there is just too many "misunderstandings" and too many coincendences. The fun continues into season three though.... Oh, and Yamada has a better showing so far in S3 just because of the above scene...

GBF fans got GBF TRY.

Uh, most of those are mech shows which have had shitty sequels since forever. Shirobako isn't comparable to any of those.

Umaru - chan 04

EVO wishes it had competitors like these !

Very good episode. i hope we see more of them in the next episode and by that i mean the poor managers of the arcade store :)

Cornbread78

Kaichou wa Maid Sama ep.7-20
tumblr_nrxx9v8jrf1sg1ksjo1_500.gif

(funny art for a comedic moment)

Well, this show continues to be fun and entertaining. I wasn;t expecting it to be done through an "episodic" approach, but the story of our MC and Heroine has been there throughout and it has been very cute "courting" process thus far. There are only 6 or so episods left and they are still not officially going out yet, which is kind of a bummer, as I was hoping for more relationship developement (with them already being together), however, this is a pretty fun and cozy RomCom, so I am happy with it.

Also, 20 mins later and Actually, I am is still all blurry and the subs are in Spanish, WTF Crunchy... They screw this up with every show every week..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom