• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phatmac

It's cool that the UBW bluray will get an extra 10 minutes for a new alternate good end. Rin's harem must grow!
SaberUBWGood.jpg

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa 05

This show is getting better, around the same frame as the manga, go figure.

Non Non Biyori Repeat 05

Koma-chan gets fucking owned the episode

Does anyone know what Studio Kinema Citrus is up too? I just wanted to know if they would be able to adapt more Barakamon or Handa-kun (prequel series). I mean I haven't seen them adapt anything lately and Barakamon did well for them.

Cornbread78

Actually, I Am ep.5
Another good episode, this one focused on the MC and everyone's favorite vampire heroine. It will be interesting if they develope them into more of a romantic relationship, but I'm sure by the time that happens, the season will bo done and they will be tellign us to read the manga to find out what happens. This is going to end up as another strange harem with the alien, the vampire, the Childhood friend with the crazy possesed glasses. Oh, and the Pink girl we saw last week, maybe she will jump in at some point as well.

Pillow Boys 04

Once again there is NO SOUND AT ALL other then the Pillow Boy's voice. Noteworthy is that there are actually other "people" this episode but I am not convinced they have souls because they don't move or talk or make any noise whatsoever so maybe these conversations with Pillow Boys are in some kind of bullshit Black Lodge extradimensional space. None of them have any eyes either so it's probably just Silent Hill. Thanks Kojima.

This show doesn't even have anything to do with pillows or sleeping anymore, only the first episode did. This one has nothing to do with sleeping except the insert character yawns once and then at the end Pillow Boy #4 tells insert character to shut up and go to sleep. On a train on the way to school so for like 10 minutes? Whatever. The Pillow Boy doesn't even look comfy this episode.

Also this boy sucks, can we go back to the hot serial killers?

Does anyone know what Studio Kinema Citrus is up too? I just wanted to know if they would be able to adapt more Barakamon or Handa-kun (prequel series). I mean I haven't seen them adapt anything lately and Barakamon did well for them.

Kinema Citrus is co-producing Is the Order a Rabbit? S2 in the fall with White Fox.

Viridian6

New releases for this week (08/04/15)

Also since I never posted last weeks releases, Windy Tales released.

Kotoura-san effortlessly switched between drama and comedy in a way I've never seen any other anime pull off. Cute English title.

Never heard of Windy Tales until now, but that's certainly a unique look.

Cornbread78

Koihime Musou
I watched the first couple episodes and it was OK, but what is this series all about? I have had all three season on my Crunchy queue for awhile now and have no idea why so I put it on this afternoon for a random click, but.... What is this? Is it worth to keep watching considering the rest of the stuff I usually watch?

So I'm going to marathon the Ghost in the Shell series (haven't seen any of it yet) just because the trailer to the 2015 movie caught my interest. First of all, is the rest of the series needed to fully appreciate the 2015 movie, or is it a standalone thing? Also, how good are the movies The Laughing Man and Individual Eleven at retelling their respective TV series? I don't think I have the time to watch all the episodes of both the series, but if one of the movies is just bad, I might watch the TV series for it instead.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Finally catching up on Umaru-chan and I got a certain feeling. Checking Google confirmed that based Masahiko Oota is indeed the director.

yrwiJip.png

God Eater 3

It was a enjoyable episode. The action and the background art was really great. Loved seeing Lenka and Alisa in action. And it was nice seeing Lindow and Sakuya fighting as well. Ouroboros fight will happen eventually I bet.

Umaru-chan 4

This was a enjoyable episode as well. Loved seeing Umaru outsmarting the Arcade employees. Also the Street Fighter match was pretty great between Umaru and Sylphyn. Also Alex seems like a interesting character.

Koihime Musou
I watched the first couple episodes and it was OK, but what is this series all about? I have had all three season on my Crunchy queue for awhile now and have no idea why so I put it on this afternoon for a random click, but.... What is this? Is it worth to keep watching considering the rest of the stuff I usually watch?

It's alternate reality take on romance of the 3 kingdoms , but with an all female cast.
It doesn't have any romance , except loooooots of yuri undertones. Well it does have yuri romances too if you look properly.

i personnaly love it , but it's not what you'd watch usually.

phaze

So I'm going to marathon the Ghost in the Shell series (haven't seen any of it yet) just because the trailer to the 2015 movie caught my interest. First of all, is the rest of the series needed to fully appreciate the 2015 movie, or is it a standalone thing? Also, how good are the movies The Laughing Man and Individual Eleven at retelling their respective TV series? I don't think I have the time to watch all the episodes of both the series, but if one of the movies is just bad, I might watch the TV series for it instead.

Arise in general is a prequel to the previous outings of the franchise. To watch the movie, I think you need to watch the preceding OVA/TV series or at the very least the Pyrophoric Cult arc (eps 9,10) which was specifically added to Arise's TV run as a tie in to the movie IIRC. Should you want to give it a try, be aware that the the aforementioned TV run aka Gits Arise: Alternative Architecture switches the order of arcs and puts the last one (4th OVA) at the very beginning. I don't think it works very well so you might want to watch it in original sequence like God and me intended. Aka 3,4,5,6,7,8,1,9,10.

Edit: This is all mightily confusing and I fear my post might have made it even more so. Wiki lays it out in clear way:
Ghost in the Shell: Arise - Alternative Architecture, a recompilation of the four original films in a television format, aired on nine stations from April 5 to June 14, 2015.[4][5] The AAA broadcast included two original episodes that help tie Ghost in the Shell: Arise with its 2015 animated film sequel Ghost in the Shell: The Movie

Cornbread78

Hey ya'll, I'm going to pUT together a thread for that "let's watch" anime edition tomorrow. I need some ideas for our first series. Here is a general outline of what I am looking for:

- Lesser known series
- Available on Crunchyroll, Hulu, or Funi, etc (free service, even with commercials)
- Any genre
- under 14 episodes
- Not already aired on Toonami
- Rey to keep a general audience in mind by avoiding stuff that's too outrageous and/or possibly strong offensive stuff
- School Days twists are alright, Trainwreck s are ok as well
- Let's have fun with it..

Any other thoughts, ideas and suggestions would be appreciated.

phaze

Hey ya'll, I'm going to pUT together a thread for that "let's watch" anime edition tomorrow. I need some ideas for our first series. Here is a general outline of what I am looking for:

- Lesser known series
- Available on Crunchyroll, Hulu, or Funi, etc (free service, even with commercials)
- Any genre
- under 14 episodes
- Rey to keep a general audience in mind by avoiding stuff that's too outrageous and/or possibly strong offensive stuff

b̶l̶a̶d̶e̶&̶s̶o̶u̶l̶ Mononoke.

Noragami (2nd season is coming this Fall)
Tsuritama
Ping Pong
Shingeki no Bahamut

Narag

- Lesser known series
- Any genre
- under 14 episodes

All the madoka movies are on netflix!

JulianImp

- Lesser known series
- Any genre
- under 14 episodes

Real suggestions:
Kokoro Connect
Another (even though I hated how after a big reveal the show became less about unsettling psychological horror and more about being a Final Destination wannabe)
Hanayamata

Cringeworthy, bad series (just in case):
Black Bullet (the story continues, but no second season in sight)
No Game No Life (same as Black Bullet)

Edit: Added a good show and two bad ones.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

- Lesser known series
- Any genre
- under 14 episodes

Kids on the Slope, Sunday without God, 11eyes, Spice and Wolf, Terraformars.

All of these are great
bad, maybe, you dont know.
in their own ways.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Honestly, I see this as a good thing.

Now you guys can see Shirbako as its own, perfect, standalone thing. I didn't watch Shirobako, but from what I heard of it, it sounds like everything wrapped up nicely.

Wishing for sequels to perfect things often ends in disaster guys.

Gundam SEED fans got Gundam SEED Destiny.

Madoka fans got Madoka Rebellion (I know some of you like it but darn it I'm still salty. >_<)

GBF fans got GBF TRY.

Eureka Seven fans got Eureka Seven AO!

Let it be guys. I learned this lesson the hard way.

Thanks for reminding me about AO's existence

Ugh

- Lesser known series
- Any genre
- under 14 episodes

Barakamon
Nichibros
Noragami
D-Frag
Kyousougiga

Cornbread78

Good suggestions, out of those, which less widely know though? Also, Netflix won't work unless they are now offering a free (commercial laden) service.

So far (in progress):

b&#822;l&#822;a&#822;d&#822;e&#822;&&#822;s&#822;o&#822;u&#822;l&#822; Mononoke.
Noragami (2nd season is coming this Fall)
Tsuritama
Shingeki no Bahamut
Kokoro Connect
Another
Hanayamata
Black Bullet
No Game No Life
Kids on the Slope,
Sunday without God,
11eyes,
Spice and Wolf,
Terraformars.
Barakamon
Nichibros
D-Frag
Kyousougiga
Mitsudomoe
Buddy Complex
Glasslip
Meganebu!
Shonen Hollywood
Ping Pong
Abenobashi Magical Shopping District
Kite (watch the censored version)
Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure
Le Portrait de Petit Cossette (Mind fuck show? so...)
Battle Angel Alita (some gruesome stuff so...)
Iria: Zeiram The Animation
Mezzo Forte (watch the censored version)
Paranoia Agent
And Yet The Town Moves
You're Under Arrest (OVA version)
Video Girl Ai
The Eccentric Family
Tonari no Seki-kun (more than 14 episodes, but each episode is only around ten or so minutes)
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Humanity has Declined

I like that they keep mixing things up instead of just adapting the manga 1:1. Youko's dad voice is different from what I had imagined, though not bad, just different. Next week will get more crazyness, I look forward to see if they changed something.

JulianImp

Good suggestions, out of those, which less widely know though? Also, Netflix won't work unless they are now offering a free (commercial laden) service.

So far (in progress):

I've only watched Kids on the Slope from what others have posted so far, and have only heard about Spice and Wolf, Mononoke and Ping Pong (all by name only).

I like that they keep mixing things up instead of just adapting the manga 1:1. Youko's dad voice is different from what I had imagined, though not bad, just different. Next week will get more crazyness, I look forward to see if they changed something.

Indeed, now they just got to somehow put Akane's destroying the world over chocolate chapter in and I will be happy.

jbug617

Banned
Non Non Biyori Repeat 5

Good 2nd half of the episode with Candy Store and the girls.

As announced here is the first dish from Shokugeki no Soma cooked by us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKr2OzhTwgM&feature=youtu.be

I had to wait for the soundtrack so everything has more of an impact... the next videos will be way better, because I didn't have enough time to get some effects in and also our video material wasn't that good. :) Still tasted very good!

Looks good.

Million Doll 05

Holy shit this was the worst best thing I've ever seen.

Everything was just so immersive, it felt like I was there in real life.

Pillow Boys 04

This one straight up sucked, he's probably going to copy my homework or something when I fall asleep, what a loser, no wonder nobody wants to talk to him.

Oh, I really like the OP of this show, especially the beginning, it's catchy.

As announced here is the first dish from Shokugeki no Soma cooked by us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKr2OzhTwgM&feature=youtu.be

I had to wait for the soundtrack so everything has more of an impact... the next videos will be way better, because I didn't have enough time to get some effects in and also our video material wasn't that good. :) Still tasted very good!

Nice, do the Symphogear beef stroganoff next.

- Lesser known series
- Any genre
- under 14 episodes

Buddy Complex
Glasslip
Meganebu!
Shonen Hollywood

Snow White with the Red Hair Episode 5 This Path, the Crystallization of Premonition
CLg0ZyCWgAIbw2e.png
CLg2w1eWgAAYivC.png

Can we just have an actiony show with Obi as the lead. He was the true star. Jumping, high energy, intense, hilarious. Liked it more than the sleepy hime plot.

cajunator

Banned
yep, pretty much on the nose :p

nyaaaa~

I just watched Redline and oh my is it an incredible masterpiece.

I loved everything, the art style and the music are just above anything else I've experienced in this genre.

I can't wait to explore anime some more.

Redline is amazing. Dont hold that as some animation standard though because that movie cost a fortune to make. Typical anime has much lower animation standards.
You might wanna track down Dennou Coil though.

Kaichou wa Maid Sama ep.7-20
tumblr_nrxx9v8jrf1sg1ksjo1_500.gif

(funny art for a comedic moment)

Well, this show continues to be fun and entertaining. I wasn;t expecting it to be done through an "episodic" approach, but the story of our MC and Heroine has been there throughout and it has been very cute "courting" process thus far. There are only 6 or so episods left and they are still not officially going out yet, which is kind of a bummer, as I was hoping for more relationship developement (with them already being together), however, this is a pretty fun and cozy RomCom, so I am happy with it.

Also, 20 mins later and Actually, I am is still all blurry and the subs are in Spanish, WTF Crunchy... They screw this up with every show every week..

I dont understand how yall keep having these problems with CR?
I never have these. But I also have a subscription so who knows if that changes anything.

Kotoura-san effortlessly switched between drama and comedy in a way I've never seen any other anime pull off. Cute English title.

Never heard of Windy Tales until now, but that's certainly a unique look.

I love this show so much. Im excited for the boxset release!
Didnt know it was this soon!

- Lesser known series
- Any genre
- under 14 episodes

Ill try to think of some.

John Blade

- Lesser known series
- Any genre
- under 14 episodes

My favorite one to go watch
GunSmith Cats

Mandelbo

- Lesser known series
- Any genre
- under 14 episodes

Ai Mai Mi (both seasons)
Tonari no Seki-kun (more than 14 episodes, but each episode is only around ten or so minutes)
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Humanity has Declined

John Blade

Cornbread78 list

Here is some more of anime I already watch and maybe a good watch for people here if they never watch it before. Note: they're sequel show in this list so, if you choose that, you need to watch the sequel to finish the show. Don't know if that break the rule but just a warming. Also, they're show that people might know by now but can't say as so, I will add them.

Worth watching
Emma: A Victorian Romance
Emma: A Victorian Romance Second Act
Gunsmith Cats
Someday's Dreamers
Someday's Dreamers II: Sora
Paranoia Agent
And Yet The Town Moves
Video Girl Ai

Trainwreck show
Divergence Eve
Divergence Eve 2: Misaki Chronicles

Space Battleship Yamato 2199 7

Why is this series so goddamn enjoyable? I mean even though this episode spent it's time mostly on people saying their farewells to Earth, it was still a great episode. I loved the scene between the two old guys reminiscing. I also loved the interaction between Kodai and Rei, a matter of fact I loved everyone's interactions.

I'm willing to bet that Mori
is from Iscandar considering she doesn't remember anything other than her past year.

Hugstable

Banned
Haven't really watched anime for awhile due to being busy as well as other things, but finally catching up on a few shows I missed (Shirobako second half and Sound Euphronium) as well as watching School Live and Umaru from this season. Need to check out more from this season since those are the only 2 I've watched from this season, though I like both. Umaru needs more Sylphyn :3

cajunator

Banned
Here is some more of anime I already watch and maybe a good watch for people here if they never watch it before. Note: they're sequel show in this list so, if you choose that, you need to watch the sequel to finish the show. Don't know if that break the rule but just a warming. Also, they're show that people might know by now but can't say as so, I will add them.

Worth watching
Emma: A Victorian Romance
Emma: A Victorian Romance Second Act
Gunsmith Cats
Someday's Dreamers
Someday's Dreamers II: Sora
Paranoia Agent
And Yet The Town Moves
Video Girl Ai

Trainwreck show
Divergence Eve
Divergence Eve 2: Misaki Chronicles

Actually, you have PHENOMENAL taste.

Blood Blockade Battlefront Dub 11

AHHHHH

Damn it Bones why couldn't you figure out how to get a hack job 20 minutes out for the finale, I don't want to wait for the full version later this year >:[

I was also very confused about the ending
White was out crying about Leo, then suddenly she and Black were back in the church where he shoots her claiming she's only alive due to a barrier around her heart? Then Black was back with Leo underground... is he able to teleport? Or was the scene in the church more symbolic of him destroying the barrier around her heart causing her to die?

Blood Blockade Battlefront Dub 11

AHHHHH

Damn it Bones why couldn't you figure out how to get a hack job 20 minutes out for the finale, I don't want to wait for the full version later this year >:[

I was also very confused about the ending
White was out crying about Leo, then suddenly she and Black were back in the church where he shoots her claiming she's only alive due to a barrier around her heart? Then Black was back with Leo underground... is he able to teleport? Or was the scene in the church more symbolic of him destroying the barrier around her heart causing her to die?

He can teleport, it was shown that magicians can teleport if you remember that one scene where that lady from the Magician organization was teleporting behind Abrams and Klaus.

I would literally explain everything but I completely forgot, though I did explain everything in my episode 11 impression. The finale is going to be more than 20 mins.

Mushishi Movie - Suzu no Shizuku

Well, there it is. The very last of Mushishi. Fortunately the series goes out with a strong two parter. The basic set up is typical Mushishi: A girl gets chosen as the new lord of a mountain and has to give up her human life in order to serve the mountain. However she is still tied by her human side and the caring of her family.

Ginko stumbles upon the scene when things start to get sour: The girl gets taken back to her family and the mountain falls into disarray.

bildschirmfoto2015-08ews9v.png
bildschirmfoto2015-085gsrm.png

bildschirmfoto2015-08jcsul.png
bildschirmfoto2015-08ugshv.png

The episode and especially the backgrounds are as beautiful as ever.

The atmosphere of the first half is mostly subdued and the characters and their emotions are handled with a lot of care. The outcome of the conflict seems inevitable and the first half ends with the characters accepting their unfortunate fates.

Normally this could be the melancholy end of a regular Mushishi episode. But then the second half comes around and offers something that I didn't expect to get: An end to the series that feels like a proper finale instead of just a regular episode.
Things start to go awry and ultimately Ginko is forced to directly engage with the law of the nature.

Seeing this actual conversation take place felt very climactic and forced Ginko and the law reaffirm the positions of nature, mushi and humanity and how they have to live with one another.
The conclusion itself is very in line with the rest of the series and leaves a bittersweet taste.

It was a joy to experience one last story of Mushishi and I fear it will be a long time before we get something as good and ethereal. With that said

Arise in general is a prequel to the previous outings of the franchise. To watch the movie, I think you need to watch the preceding OVA/TV series or at the very least the Pyrophoric Cult arc (eps 9,10) which was specifically added to Arise's TV run as a tie in to the movie IIRC. Should you want to give it a try, be aware that the the aforementioned TV run aka Gits Arise: Alternative Architecture switches the order of arcs and puts the last one (4th OVA) at the very beginning. I don't think it works very well so you might want to watch it in original sequence like God and me intended. Aka 3,4,5,6,7,8,1,9,10.

Edit: This is all mightily confusing and I fear my post might have made it even more so. Wiki lays it out in clear way:

Awesome, thanks for this! It makes sense. But where does episode 2 come into place? Also, does the 2015 movie a standalone to the rest of the series other than episode 9 and 10 being a prequel set up for it? Meaning will I be able to watch Arise Alternative Architecture, and then the 2015 movie, and then the other Ghost in the Shell movies like 2.0 then the Stand Alone Complex 1 and 2? Do the movie versions for SAC 1 and 2 (The Laughing Man and Individual Eleven) do the series justice or do you recommend against them? Sorry for all the questions, but any answers are appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom