• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Mononoke (Crunchyroll) http://www.crunchyroll.com/mononoke
will win for our first community watch.

Second is a big toss-up:
Another (CR)
Glasslip (CR-Worst rating I've ever seen on CR and MAL, LOL)
11 Eyes (CR)
Black Bullet (CR)
Humanity Has Declined (CR)

After Mononoke, which of the above would give a group great discussion?

Humanity has Declined by like, 100,000 miles. Why is Glasslip even being considered?

yeah bout that its not doing something noteworthy for boost manga sales either, altho obviously we don't know their expectation.

But we not seeing Tokyo Ghoul type of success here.

Yeah.. I'm surprised either, the early success of the manga seem setting up to being big hits but in the middle its kinda settled as middle hitter and the show not giving it much more boost.

Manga sales boost are usually more backlog oriented, so they're harder to gauge until we get stuff like year end or half year numbers

Cornbread78

Humanity has Declined by like, 100,000 miles. Why is Glasslip even being considered?

LOL, It was a rec from yesterday's list and when I was researching it, something HAS to be up with it to be THAT bad, lol. like a 2.2/5 on Crunchy and in the 5/10 on MAL. Literally, the worst ratings I've EVER seen!

Noragami (2nd season is coming this Fall)
Tsuritama (CR)
Shingeki no Bahamut
Another
Hanayamata (crunchy)
Black Bullet
Kids on the Slope,
Sunday without God,
11eyes,
Terraformars.
Kyousougiga
Mitsudomoe
Buddy Complex
Glasslip
Meganebu!
Ping Pong
Abenobashi Magical Shopping District
Le Portrait de Petit Cossette (Mind fuck show? so...)
Mezzo Forte (watch the censored version)
Paranoia Agent
And Yet The Town Moves
The Eccentric Family
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Humanity has Declined

I was actually thinking of adding Wandering Son to the list. I think that one would lead to an incredible amount of discussion I've had that one on my MAL list for awhile and would be interesting to watch that one with everyone. Not sure how many have watched it here though..

phaze

Second is a big toss-up:
Another (CR)
11 Eyes (CR)
Black Bullet (CR)

Is this going to be a separate thread in OT ? Black Bullet may be a catharthic experience for all the moe/loli haters.
kruemelmonster9bq1o.gif

Humanity has Declined is about the only thing on this list I've heard positive opinions of.

Exalted

Overlord 5

Good episode, those 20 min just pased by. It seams that conquering the world will have to wait, since the show changed themes again. Looks like the next few episodes episodes will be about the guild, and Skelly being in a disguise and laying low, instead of reigning terror on the world.

cajunator

Banned
Choosing 1 is going to be tough, as "lesser known" titles, either could work.

NGNL would be great but do u think most that frequently come here have already seen it?
I would add D-Frag and Kokoro Connect to that as well. Do u think more people have watched those?

Maybe the shock value in Another would work, Kids on a Slope sounds right up my alley, but this is for everyone.

Much better..

D-Frag and Kokoro Connect are excellent!

Should have been higher.
Animegaf failed everyone. this show was worthy of a top 10

agreed. NGNL is awesome. Haters gonna hate. You know how it is.

Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Episode 43

I always wonder if Yeager actually went to interview for the position dressed like he is. Would be a good one. Love his laugh and finally to see him duel, but Crow, really?
CLkOqT3UwAAaqHp.jpg
CLkRb_9UMAAl0DB.jpg

Kingcrabshipping moment was the best, both punching each other and everything. I was hoping we wouldnt keep a depressed Yusei around for a long stretch of episodes (ARC V made it seem like theirs lasted so long with Yuuya oniichans).

That hair design what? Thats Shiki levels of terrible.

Thanks!

Monster Musume 05

pch6kQe.gif

Every week I see some wierd fucking shit and I say to myself. "This is so fucking lewd, it can never be topped".

Every week I'm wrong.

This episode had a lot of Suu moments though.

eww mermaid girl. Worst from what Ive seen.

Since we were talking about obscurity above, I thought that I'd post some sales data from the UK. I've posted this data in the past but I thought that I'd collate it all together and add more info and make it hopefully easier to read. A lot of this data is old, but hopefully its still of use. Sorry in advance in regards to formatting, I'm so tired I'm struggling to keep my eyes open.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1| FROM UP ON POPPY HILL
2| MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO
3| HOWL’S MOVING CASTLE
4| SPIRITED AWAY
5| PONYO
6| WOLF CHILDREN
7| ARRIETTY
8| KIKI’S DELIVERY SERVICE
9| NAUSICAA OF THE VALLEY OF WIND
10| PRINCESS MONONOKE[/CODE]
Code:
[B]Top 10 New Releases (December):[/B]
#|	TITLE|
1|	WOLF CHILDREN
2|	NARUTO SHIPPUDEN – BOX SET 15
3|	SWORD ART ONLINE – PART 1
4|	BLACK LAGOON – ROBERTA’S BLOOD TRAIL
5|	FAIRY TAIL – COLLECTION 5
6|	BLEACH – SERIES 12 PT 2
7|	LAST EXILE – FAM THE SILVER WING – PT 1
8|	NISEMONOGATARI – PT 1
9|	SHANGRI-LA – PT 2
10|	ARAKAWA UNDER THE BRIDGE X BRIDGE – 2

#| TITLE|
1| NARUTO SHIPPUDEN – VOL 20
2| BLOOD LAD – COMPLETE SERIES
3| BATTLE GIRLS TIME – PARADOX COLLECTION
4| KAMISAMA DOLLS – SERIES COLLECTION
5| CHROME SHELLED REGIOS – COLLECTION
6| SHANGRI-LA – SERIES COLLECTION
7| FAIRY TAIL – PT 9[/CODE]
  • Naruto Shippuden Box Set 20 topped the new release chart in February with just over 1000 units sold.
  • The Wind Rises topped the overall sales chart with over 3,700 units sold, with Spirited Away over 2000 units behind that.
  • It was a close battle between Howl’s Moving Castle and Naruto Shippuden Box Set 20 for fourth spot in the overall rankings. There weren’t many units difference between them.
  • To make into the overall top 10 over 600 units needed to be sold.
  • In order to make number #2 in the new release charts you had to sell over 300 and less than 400.

Shangri La sold decently in UK? I can respect that. Good to see!

LOL, It was a rec from yesterday's list and when I was researching it, something HAS to be up with it to be THAT bad, lol. like a 2.2/5 on Crunchy and in the 5/10 on MAL. Literally, the worst ratings I've EVER seen!

Tsuritama (CR)
Shingeki no Bahamut
Another
Hanayamata (crunchy)
Black Bullet
Kids on the Slope,
Sunday without God,
11eyes,
Terraformars.
Kyousougiga
Mitsudomoe
Buddy Complex
Glasslip
Meganebu!
Ping Pong
Paranoia Agent
And Yet The Town Moves
The Eccentric Family
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Humanity has Declined

I was actually thinking of adding Wandering Son to the list. I think that one would lead to an incredible amount of discussion I've had that one on my MAL list for awhile and would be interesting to watch that one with everyone. Not sure how many have watched it here though..

That is a really weird list because it has a bunch of good shows then Glasslip, Terraformars, Buddy Complex and Meganebu.

JulianImp

Second is a big toss-up:
Another (CR)
11 Eyes (CR)
Black Bullet (CR)

Out of the three I haven't watched, I'd go for Humanity Has Declined or Glasslip. 11 Eyes sounds a too much like your generic "MC gets transported to a fantastic world" plot that's been all the rage as of late.

Cornbread78

Is this going to be a separate thread in OT ? Black Bullet may be a catharthic experience for all the moe/loli haters.
kruemelmonster9bq1o.gif

Humanity has Declined is about the only thing on this list I've heard positive opinions of.

Yes, I'm putting the thread together now. It will be pretty simple, we just have to get peeps to joing in from here and the toonami thread, as well as some of the casual lurkers that watch anime, but don't post in here for whatever reason.

I'll remove Black Bullet if it's that bad. It's meant for more people to experience it (good or bad), not alienate everyone with the loli stuff, lol.

Msybe Humanity has Declined will be the next then. It's on Crunchy and sounds very interesting...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's all about manga sales with Souma. Disc sales don't really tell that much about the succes of manga adaptions.

I don't understand why disc sales matter at all given that they price them only for the most hardcore of hardcore fans

Every time I see this kind of post, I seriously wonder whether its just western anime fans freaking out for no reason or whether they just don't have ratings in Japan

Cornbread78

Glasshit, my spider-sense is tingling. DTL put you up to this didn't he?!

Buddy Complex
Glasslip
Meganebu!
Shonen Hollywood

I see nothing, I know nothing...

So how is this exactly going to work? Do we just watch some episodes every day?

Rip EU btw

comes out to 1 a day, so it's not bad at all. you can double up and skip a day or two if needed.
Wait, does this stream on any of the EU services? I can only check NA. Can someone look up EU for me?

Mandelbo

Second is a big toss-up:
Another (CR)
11 Eyes (CR)
Black Bullet (CR)

Humanity.
Has.
Declined.

I second this. Please don't pick Glasslip.

e: also I just searched crunchyroll for Mononoke and it wasn't there.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Tsuritama (CR)
Shingeki no Bahamut
Another
Hanayamata (crunchy)
Black Bullet
Kids on the Slope,
Sunday without God,
11eyes,
Terraformars.
Kyousougiga
Mitsudomoe
Buddy Complex
Glasslip
Meganebu!
Ping Pong
Paranoia Agent
And Yet The Town Moves
The Eccentric Family
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Humanity has Declined

Fuck I forgot to mention Princess Jellyfish. Is it to late to send in recommendations for the next watch?

Not on Crunchyroll or any other service that I know of.

Humanity has declined is available for me though, you might wanna switch it up for now.

EU is a messy area though, lots of different countries can watch different shows.

EU, the place where you can't get anime and Persona reliably.

comes out to 1 a day, so it's not bad at all. you can double up and skip a day or two if needed.
Wait, does this stream on any of the EU services? I can only check NA. Can someone look up EU for me?

Humanity has Declined is available for me though, you might wanna switch it up for now.

Anyway, EU is a messy area, lots of different countries can watch different shows.

Cornbread78

Humanity has declined is available for me though, you might wanna switch it up for now.

EU is a messy area though, lots of different countries can watch different shows.

FUCKKKKKK

I'll have to redo the entire OT now.

It'll have to go up tomorrow...

UUGGGHH

WTF EU

JulianImp

I'll remove Black Bullet if it's that bad. It's meant for more people to experience it (good or bad), not alienate everyone with the loli stuff, lol

Okay, allow me to elaborate on the show's basic premise... In the distant future, huge bugs and abominations attack humans, who live behind some protective monolith things. The MC is part of some kind of anti-monster task force and is assigned a young girl as a partner, and meets other pairs of older man and younger girl. All the girls that are recruited are actually the byproduct of monster blood somehow mixing with a pregnant woman (...yeah...), and so they all have special abilities or powers.

The show aired a bit after AoT, and it also tries to pull off a dark and edgy plot that decides to give the MC plot armor because why the hell not. Many people die (including the little girls), which is probably the reason why people might joke that it's a good show to watch if you want to see moe lolis suffering... but then there's quite a bit of love for people who are actually into those kind of characters.

If we ended up watching it then discussions would probably mock the show itself, which could be fun by itself, but it isn't a good anime by any means.

phaze

FUCKKKKKK

I'll have to redo the entire OT now.

It'll have to go up tomorrow...

UUGGGHH

WTF EU

From your bigger list and from the stuff I've seen:,Kyousougiga and Ping Pong are the highlights. The first is in US and should be in most of EU. Not sure about the latter, I remember it being somewhat a messy situation. Crunchy for EU and Funi for US or something.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Monster Musume is turning into your standard harem trash, and Kobayashi gets like 10 seconds of voice time. I'd rather her be glue factory'ed now so I don't have to suffer any more. :(

cajunator

Banned
Monster Musume is turning into your standard harem trash, and Kobayashi gets like 10 seconds of voice time. I'd rather her be glue factory'ed now so I don't have to suffer any more. :(

It already was, but at least its entertaining harem trash! It has Suu and Papi, so I forgive it of any transgressions.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kaicho wa Maid-sama! ep. 21-END
https://33.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1exlmubZT1qderswo1_500.gif

I finally wrapped up watching this series and actually enjoyed it for the RomCom it was. However, I must say I was a little disappointed in the ending though since it really didn't wrap anything up and felt abrupt and useless. I'm sick of all these "manga/promo" endings... Even in the end, we don't there is only one confession and zero backstory for our MC... Oh well, the series was funny and entertaining enough as it was, but R_thanatos was right, it was just another lame "come read the Manga if you want to see what really happens" ending... IT is a good rec for anyone looking for a comfy and fun romcom though with no fanservice, or gross crap etc..
The manga goes into weird places, particularly about Usui's background, and I eventually just stopped reading it out of boredom. I don't know if it ever pays off, to be honest.

The anime was fine though, but it's your typical "smart girl is so awesome and great, except she still needs to be saved by the one super guy for reasons" shoujo.

It already was, but at least its entertaining harem trash! It has Suu and Papi, so I forgive it of any transgressions.
The weird fake lesbian goo stuff was just boring. I kind of hate that I just see that as "normal" for anime now. lol

I'm only in it for MON Squad basically consisting of Zombina, Smith (Kobayashi), Tio, Manako, and Doppel.

JulianImp

Black Bullet had one vote in the 2014 AOTY poll.

I swear I didn't vote for it.

If anything, it looks like people hate Glasslip, so maybe the next show to watch could be narrowed down to Humanity Has Declined, removing Black Bullet and Glasslip and maybe putting Another and 11 Eyes back in the queue.

But man, CR region restrictions on older shows are a real pain... even though my region gets most of the shows they get the rights to nowadays, I just noticed Mononoke's locked behind a region lock for me as well. Given that I'm actually subscribed to CR, would trying to bypass that be a no-no according to GAF? If that happens to be the case, I guess I'll just have to wait for the next series.

Cornbread78

I swear I didn't vote for it.

If anything, it looks like people hate Glasslip, so maybe the next show to watch could be narrowed down to Humanity Has Declined, removing Black Bullet and Glasslip and maybe putting Another and 11 Eyes back in the queue.

But man, CR region restrictions on older shows are a real pain... even though my region gets most of the shows they get the rights to nowadays, I just noticed Mononoke's locked behind a region lock for me as well. Given that I'm actually subscribed to CR, would trying to bypass that be a no-no according to GAF? If that happens to be the case, I guess I'll just have to wait for the next series.

I'm redoing to OT to start with "Humanity has Declined" first and "Another" second... Can somein gin NA and EU send me links Crunchyroll site for Humanity has Declined and Another please? I'm redoing the OT now but I got a security warning last time I hit the Crunchyroll link from my work laptop. Damn stingy IS team not allowing us to use streaming/media services...

JulianImp

I'm redoing to OT to start with "Humanity has Declined" first and "Another" second... Can somein gin NA and EU send me links Crunchyroll site for Humanity has Declined and Another please? I'm redoing the OT now but I got a security warning last time I hit the Crunchyroll link from my work laptop. Damn stingy IS team not allowing us to use streaming/media services...

http://www.crunchyroll.com/humanity-has-declined
http://www.crunchyroll.com/another

Links are the same for all regions, only those of us in regions that aren't able to watch the show just get no episodes in the list and
Availability Information
Sorry, due to licensing limitations, videos are unavailable in your region.

Tsuritama (CR)
Shingeki no Bahamut
Another
Hanayamata (crunchy)
Black Bullet
Kids on the Slope,
Sunday without God,
11eyes,
Terraformars.
Kyousougiga
Mitsudomoe
Buddy Complex
Glasslip
Meganebu!
Ping Pong
Paranoia Agent
And Yet The Town Moves
The Eccentric Family
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Humanity has Declined

I'm surprised nobody suggested Sora no Woto/Sound of the Sky.

Prison School Manga Gets Live-Action Show by Machine Girl's Iguchi

A live-action television series adaptation of Akira Hiramoto's Prison School manga will premiere on the MBS and TBS stations this October. Noboru Iguchi (The Machine Girl, Nuigurumaa Z) is directing the late-night series at the production studio ROBOT, and the cast will be announced later.

Iguchi said with a laugh that when he heard about the live-action television plans, he initially asked, "Is this for real?" He felt that if he squandered this chance to adapt this amusing manga, he would regret it for the rest of his life. He asked fans to wait a little bit longer for the cast announcements for Kiyoshi, Gakuto, the Vice-President, Hana, and the President.

lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Cornbread78

http://www.crunchyroll.com/humanity-has-declined
http://www.crunchyroll.com/another

Links are the same for all regions, only those of us in regions that aren't able to watch the show just get no episodes in the list and

are both of those available in youe EU area? Anyone else in EU have a problem with these two?

#1) Humanity Has Declined
(8/4-8/18)
#2) Another
(8/18-8/25)

We'll just start with those two for now and go from there.
I'll add Princess Jellyfish and Sound of the Sky to the pool, as well as The wondering Son.

There's a live action version of that manga about the girl who likes bondage, so this isn't surprising. I just don't imagine any real Japanese woman being able to look like the vice president.

You mean Nana to Kaoru?
I'm surprised that never got an anime, it got a shitty OVA and thats it

It's lewd as hell but has good character development and doesn't portray BDSM in a shitty way like 50 Shades of Grey and stuff like that

phaze

are both of those available in youe EU area? Anyone else in EU have a problem with these two?

(8/4-8/18)
#2) Another
(8/18-8/25)

I'll add Princess Jellyfish and Sound of the Sky to the pool, as well as The wondering Son.

lol Eastern fringes of EU here, both unavailable.

IMO, I wouldn't let it bother you too much. The extent of good, interesting shows available in all the regions you want will be miniscule.

JulianImp

(8/4-8/18)
#2) Another
(8/18-8/25)

I'm in Argentina, not EU, but yeah, both work for me.

Some shows are weird in that I can watch the newer seasons but not the older ones. That is the case for Non Non Byori, for example, but at least in that show's case it sounds like S2 doesn't build upon S1 to the point I'd be missing out on stuff by not waching it from the start.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You mean Nana to Kaoru?
I'm surprised that never got an anime, it got a shitty OVA and thats it

It's lewd as hell but has good character development and doesn't portray BDSM in a shitty way like 50 Shades of Grey and stuff like that
Oh yeah, that was it.

I think just seeing it play out with live action characters and jdrama production values killed it for me though.

Mandelbo

(8/4-8/18)
#2) Another
(8/18-8/25)

Humanity has Declined is available in the UK, but Another isn't.

Qurupeke

Terraformars.

Is that a list of animes that people will watch in OT? Because OT hated Terraformars a lot. And it totally deserves the hate.

JulianImp

Now I just need a new OT title..

GAF "Let's Watch Anime" OT:

"waifus, ships and nosebleeds for all to share"
(I suck at these)

You could try to explain that the goal is to watch lesser-known shows in the title as well, but I don't know what kind of witty subtitle would fit the OT since obscure shows mean you can't drop some in-joke or reference and expect people to get it.

Now that I think about it, I guess a "Now showing: <show name>" subtitle would work really well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom