• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Somebody tell me is there a smart sci fi show I haven't watched that I should? I tend to prefer noir and/or cyberpunk, but I'm waiting on legend of Galactic heroes on Blu ray so that's out of the picture for now in terms of must see sci fi anime. I know there's that show of kids with Google Glass, maybe that's next.

And please no space booby pirates or something like that.

Yea might as well watch Dennou Coil. I had issues with it but it is highly regarded.

phaze

I've heard some good things about that, If I remember correctly it's super short, why not give it a try?

Why spend 30 minutes on something that might turn out to be poor when I can use that time productively and watch known quantity such as Soul of Gold instead ?!

Yuasa's Kaiba perhaps ?

In similar vein, I stumbled upon something called Cencoroll from Tsuritama's character designer. Worth a watch ?

Worth a watch, it's a nicely animated short OVA. But you know, plot-wise don't expect a closed story. I always saw it as some kind of project for a series or a film that never got approved and ended as a OVA. No idea, really.

cajunator

Banned
Glad that you enjoy it . The op and ED are among my favorites too.
And if you liked ep 3,4 you're in for a good ride for the rest of the show

You keep hyping this show. Ill check it out soon.

Man.....I might be having anime fatigue and also tired from work. I guess I will slow down my anime watching for a while till I recover from it. I might try to stick with Humanity Has Declined watching but that might take a bit of time for me but might try to stick with it.

I know the feeling. I have been apartment/condo searching lately it has taken a lot of my energy and I come home and dont want to do anything.

WHOA

WHOA

WHOA

Jin Roh: Wolf Brigade is on blu-ray? Can somebody tell me if the quality is worth it? Didn't know this was out.

You didnt know that Woofy? And I thought you were a fan :(

cajunator

Banned
It was $30 on release!

Why buy things at release when you could wait and spend twice as much?

To love ru darkness 2nd - 05

There is like no anime ever made that does perverted stuff like to love ru darrkess.

Seriously.

I don't think it's even possible to do better than what will happen this season.

Girls Bravo
DearS
Juden chan

Destiny looked way bland from day 1 tho

still not as bad as the order lol

Those games suck

Humanity has Declined 1

Well I now know where the bleeding bread gif comes from so that's something.

Other then that it's a decent start to the series. Sets up the world, characters, and the fact that this show is going to be outlandish, especially with regards to the fairies.

Enjoy this show. Its pretty special. Very unique and absolutely bizarre.

Gotta get the otaku yens!

Cornbread78

Hantsuki ep.4-END
a.k.a: Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, or Looking Up At The Half-Moon
Hantsuki%20Hanbun%20no%20Tsuki%20ga%20Noboru%20Sora%20%2051.jpg

This was a pretty intense short series that averages out to the length of a short movie. Overall, it's a sweet story of love and despair between two patients in a hospital setting. With these films, like Plastic Memories where the girl is in dire condition, it’s not about what happens at the end; it’s about the journey in getting there, I mean seriously, what a horrible outcome was forshadowed. With that being said, they carry the plot along well and you finally find out why the doctor is suck a psycho in the end; pretty crazy stuff, but it doesn't excuse his crimes earlier... There was also that useless side plot with the nurses friend that felt really out of place. The only thing I can think off is he was running away in despair at that moment everything went down; I mean, it was a pretty intense scene, but confusing in context to the story at hand. From my perspective she was trying to comfort him
sexually in this case.... oh so close, wat a shame the psycho nurse showed up.
, but she was crying at the end of the scene because nobody ever comforts her, I get it, but felt waaay out of place when his romantic interests rested elsewhere. The ending was sweet and spelled out what was to come, but the ED is very misleading since none of those images are actually in the anime. Also, the OP and ED were both really well done and fit the tone of the anime perfectly. I really liked this one and the message they finally got out towards the end.

BTW, old me that dies was still the best, these crazy perverted old guys and grandpa's are always the best characters and really spread perfect wisdom..!

Cornbread78

Girls Bravo is good clean family fun. Don't lump it with the lewd drivel you lot like.

Why buy things at release when you could wait and spend twice as much?

Girls Bravo
DearS

Reminds me, I watched the first two episodes of DearS like 6 months ago and never continued (poor childhood friend was all upset about the super hot alien chick living with and trying to get it on with the MC) might be a good diversion trash anime to watch.

Now Girls Bravo, I can;t remember who here recommended it, but is it really super lewd? Is it comedy and useless trash, or is there a decent story there?

Saudades

Somebody tell me is there a smart sci fi show I haven't watched that I should? I tend to prefer noir and/or cyberpunk, but I'm waiting on legend of Galactic heroes on Blu ray so that's out of the picture for now in terms of must see sci fi anime. I know there's that show of kids with Google Glass, maybe that's next.

Dunno what you've seen, so just throwing stuff out here that I'd seen and liked:
Magnetic Rose segment in the Memories OVA anthology is great. The premise is basically Alien cross with Planetes (watch Planetes too if you haven't), that should be able to sell it to anyone.
The Animatrix anthology has some good sci-fi stories (particularly the ones in the middle), but they're pretty short. Some of them definitely fit the noir/cyberpunk genre tho.
Dennou Coil has sublime animation and great world-building. The story really comes into its own in the second half too.
And this is not hard sci-fi, but everyone should watch Patlabor (Movie continuity especially).

Oh yeah almost forgot, Robot Carnival anthology has some good shorts too.

Naruto Shippuden Episode 422
CLuntuCVAAAIq2Q.jpg

Yes Konohamaru Naruto-niichan filler. This is such a good set of episodes. I love how Konohamaru finally had time to show us how he trained for the rasengan with Naruto. He sounded so excited everytime with Naruto. I couldnt stop smiling and laughing.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Now Girls Bravo, I can;t remember who here recommended it, but is it really super lewd? Is it comedy and useless trash, or is there a decent story there?

Did you read that post of mine you quoted? I said it's good clean family fun.

Also, for once, the English dub is actually good.

Mendrox

Naruto Shippuden Episode 422
CLuntuCVAAAIq2Q.jpg

Yes Konohamaru Naruto-niichan filler. This is such a good set of episodes. I love how Konohamaru finally had time to show us how he trained for the rasengan with Naruto. He sounded so excited everytime with Naruto. I couldnt stop smiling and laughing.

Joke post? Fuck that filler shit. Last episode end was epic and then... FILLERS!

Joke post? Fuck that filler shit. Last episode end was epic and then... FILLERS!

You dont like Konohamaru, Moegi, and Udon? Its just one week, unless you wanted another full filler arc? I think plenty like him, lots of us were glad hes been finally playable in NUNS.

Naruto Shippuden 423
CLurXu5UMAAYMGq.jpg

Triple Naruto! Made me want to rewatch my Shippuden dvds from the start again. Narutos outfit as the treasure was nostalgic.

cajunator

Banned
These dakis become worse the further I scroll down

Ehh. Theyre not bad. I dont see a problem with these.

PA Works next show, Haruchika coming winter 2016.

http://www.animate.tv/news/details.php?id=1438843287

Whats this about?

But not that cajun is, right? If there ain't cute, there ain't cajun. The end.

Thats not necessarily true! I watch lots of non-cute things.
Ushio and tora for example. Remember I like yanderes and crazy anime faces.

First there was this (from the Kickstarter game Shantae - Half Genie Hero) :

65b3d7d13b69ed791124aa95bce306a1_large.png

Now there is this:

SpiderBackerDesign2.170136.png

Both better than their Monster Musume counterparts IMO

#AmericanumbahOneJapannumbahTwo

#AmericadoeswhatJapancan't

I am actually excited for this game. Donated 75$ to kickstarter.

I assume at some point it just becomes another thing to collect, like figures and wallscrolls or whatever.

Pretty much yeah. Just collectors items.

Starship Operators might be relevant
or Iria: Zeiram
or Bubblegum Crisis

Mandelbo

I've only got two episodes of Aria the Animation left, so I'm gonna get it finished up today. It still amazes me how it manages to be so laid back and relaxed while never being dull to watch. Maybe it's because of President Aria, but really all the characters are great, though.

Cornbread78

Did you read that post of mine you quoted? I said it's good clean family fun.

Also, for once, the English dub is actually good.

*types "Girls Bravo" into Google search, immediately sees crotch grab image and banana deep-throat image/gif*

hhmm... clean famly fun, huh?

Wait, is there a prego harem girl there as well?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
School-Live! is the best show no one's watching. I almost passed over it, so glad I didn't. The last few episodes have been fantastic, though the show is a bit slower paced. Good psychological slice of life, though.

Puruzi

Banned
School-Live! is the best show no one's watching. I almost passed over it, so glad I didn't. The last few episodes have been fantastic, though the show is a bit slower paced. Good psychological slice of life, though.

A shitload of people are watching it.

I think a lot of people here are watching it, myself included. Looking forward to watching today's episode.

cajunator

Banned
LOL, perfect.

I've said that about a lot of these. It would be cool to see OVAs focused on that, especialy in a lot of the RomComs, etc. I mean, that would be perfect for a show like Little Busters, where Riki x Rin was an ideal more than a romance, but what really happens there. That riverside scene was one of the cutest "romance" scenes I've seen since it fit so well into the story

Rika is a meanie, lol. The only problem I really had with it was the fact they dance around the whole friendship/romance thing constantly, wait for the end for that reveal, then the story ends with no conclusions. I wasn't bad, just average.

Dont call Rika a meanie! Rika is a sweetie! So shes a bit perverted :p

Yuasa's Kaiba perhaps ?

In similar vein, I stumbled upon something called Cencoroll from Tsuritama's character designer. Worth a watch ?

Cencoroll is legit interesting. Its really short. Watch it.

Not even close. I'll admit that the mud wrestling episode was good,

in another galaxy maybe

Are you even trying ?

Well, I was actually.

It's a good Novel, the anime tries to do the best they can , but the amount of cute within is really low.

Just saying.

But do try it.

No matter if its cute or not.

Reminds me, I watched the first two episodes of DearS like 6 months ago and never continued (poor childhood friend was all upset about the super hot alien chick living with and trying to get it on with the MC) might be a good diversion trash anime to watch.

Girls Bravo is pretty lewd yeah.

Mendrox

You dont like Konohamaru, Moegi, and Udon? Its just one week, unless you wanted another full filler arc? I think plenty like him, lots of us were glad hes been finally playable in NUNS.

Naruto Shippuden 423
CLurXu5UMAAYMGq.jpg

Triple Naruto! Made me want to rewatch my Shippuden dvds from the start again. Narutos outfit as the treasure was nostalgic.

I never heard of anyone saying that they like Moegi and Udon.. Konohamaru was cute in Naruto. But now these three little shits are annoying as fuck.

Jarmel

Banned
I just wanted to point out that this is a particularly stupid interview question and that ANN should have known better.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2015-08-06/interview-studio-trigger/.91296 said:
Do you have a philosophy for when it's best to hold back with limited animation and when it's best to go crazy with fluid animation?
Like does the interviewer even known what limited animation means?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
A shitload of people are watching it.

Medium, it isn't getting too much love yet on Crunchyroll compared to many other series I'm watching this season, and at least from my personal experience whenever I bring it up with normal circles of people who watch anime, social feeds, or even forums, most people don't seem to know anything about it, though a few other series like Gate, Rokka, etc., and I decided to do an experiment before I made that post and search up key words for a variety of show names in this topic and see which ones popped up the most and least, and 'Live' & 'Gakkou' for School Live was on the lower spectrum as well for GAF search results in this topic (though for live many were talking about livecasting and such as well).

---If you haven't seen the show, don't read the paragraph below, the show is best experienced knowing as little as possible---

---

Obviously more are watching it than no one, but I do think it might be a bit before it fully catches on. There's not much in terms of
zombie
animes, at least any that seriously tackle zombies, outside of
Highschool of the Dead
or some other minor examples,
HotD
gained a lot of traction despite being B-hamminess to an extreme, but it took a while to prosper, I do think attention has grown to it than it initially had though, and I know there of course are fans of the manga.

Viridian6

Haganai (Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai) S1 ep.1-END:
Ok, so I wanted to clear something else off my MAL backlog, so I marathoned through this one the past couple days. I thought it sounded interesting, but unfortunately, there was nothing really redeeming to spending all that time watching it. It was mild drama, no romance, mild comedy, etc.The fan service with little sis was annoying as hell, but thankfully, it was only at a few spots, but still not needed. Oh well, I the synopsis sounded really interesting but I guess the execution was average.

I'd recommend you watch Season 2. It's better in every way (comedy, drama, some legit character development). If I recall correctly there's even less little sister fanservice (not that that's a plus in my book).

and I decided to do an experiment before I made that post and search up key words for a variety of show names in this topic and see which ones popped up the most and least, and 'Live' for School Live was on the lower spectrum as well for GAF search results in this topic (though many were talking about livecasting and such as well).

People also refer to it as Gakkou Gurashi.

Anyway, /r/anime threads of Gakkou get the same numbers as a Gate thread or something, not that that is the best way of gauging popularity but still, I wouldn't assume that nobody is watching it.

PS, you can just use spoiler tags instead of doing it your way.

I've only got two episodes of Aria the Animation left, so I'm gonna get it finished up today. It still amazes me how it manages to be so laid back and relaxed while never being dull to watch. Maybe it's because of President Aria, but really all the characters are great, though.

It's well documented how much I love President Aria! His antics in Episode 8 were one of my highlights of The Animation.

The end of Animation was really sweet. You'll love it!

Cornbread78

I'd recommend you watch Season 2. It's better in every way (comedy, drama, some legit character development). If I recall correctly there's even less little sister fanservice (not that that's a plus in my book).

Sounds good on all fronts. Is that one one titled "Next"

I believe I watched the first episode and it sounded like there was a huge time gap... Was there 3 seasons to it?

Humanity Has Declined 2

Definitely a step-up from the first episode. The batshit insane comedy is more pronounced here and it works. I think my favourite part from this episode was everything involving the skinned chickens especially the speech scene.

This is gonna be a fun watch if this keeps up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Or boatgirls.
Gotta marry them all!
(Like you and your FF waifus)

Boatgirls are not just another thing to collect, they are LIFE.
You quit though. lol

Yet you still let your Tenryu sink.
Still holding that against me huh? We all make mistakes you know.
Sabre is a kuso TTK?

I really hope you guys don't cheat on your waifu collecting figures of different characters!
I think I only have amiibos. lol
I wonder what happens to those guys who ONLY have one character plastered all around their room. Like, do they ever change waifus, or are they stuck with whatever they tied their lot to forever. lol

Pretty much yeah. Just collectors items.
I would imagine the daikmuras are just the pillow cases and not the pillows themselves... at least you could just show that into a closet somewhere or something. lol

phaze

Worth a watch, it's a nicely animated short OVA. But you know, plot-wise don't expect a closed story. I always saw it as some kind of project for a series or a film that never got approved and ended as a OVA. No idea, really.
Cencoroll is legit interesting. Its really short. Watch it.

Thanks, will do. Always liked what I saw of his chara designs.

Asura

It was ... okay I guess ? Nothing particularly amazing but with its short runtime (1:15) it doesn't drag and it doesn't get preachy, except for the last scene. The story follows the titular Ashura, an orphaned boy who grew in the wild isolated from any people and as such, starts out resembling more a beast than a human. He doesn't shy from hunting people for food, if anything, they seem to be his mainstay dish. Eventually of course,due to meeting certain two characters, he starts to change and the viewer follows the tribulations of this change.

CG for characters unfortunately sticks out, sometimes more, sometimes less but it's something readily apparent even with the heavily stylized designs. On the plus side, it allows for some dynamic camera work that I imagine would be a pain in ass with hand drawn animation. Another + are the backgrounds which do a great job of setting the mood of the story. The latter is heavy and dreary. With the story being set in fairly realistic, pre-modern rural Japan and with villagers constant afraid for crops and of hunger that is pretty understandable. The drama at the end was a bit overbearing
but at least there was no forced happy ending.
Alrightish watch, all things considered. (Unless you vomit at the mere sight of CG.)

Vampire Hunter D - Bloodlust

I heard about this a few times before, and even watched a pair of pieces in youtube, but until now I hadn't got around to watch it.
Hey that was pretty as hell. Delicious Amano character design, and well excellent work by Madhouse. Interesting mix of... almost everything: post apocalyptic western gothic scifi? The plot wasn't as bad as I feared, it was serviceable in its simplicity.

Mushishi Suzu no Shizuku

End of Mushishi. ;_;

Brother and sister
couldn't be together :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I did make a thread for it you know :D

Should have a lot more posts though. Maybe it would in a pre-Madoka world.
I want to say that it's better than The Walking Dead, but I don't know if that's just low standards or me being inoculated to anime at this point.

Gintama 283

Another episode that proves that no episode in Gintama with the shogun is ever anything short of pure gold
I still remember that dumb pool episode. lol

Cornbread78

I remember it being trash enough that I stopped watching after a handful. It was on par with that Majikoi show.

Season 1 is fanservice heavy with a bit of plot/story.
Season 2 abandons all the story and focuses on some fanservice like you wouldn't believe.

It's average and only offensive if you've got no tolerance for fanservice.

So essentually, it's just mindless ecchi fun. Exactly what I am looking for.

As long as it's not the loli fanservice I'm fine with it. It's when they start exposing and parading around markably young little girls that it really starts getting really uncomfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom