• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandelbo

What's the story/feeling om Maken-Ki? Fun? Trash?

It's about boobs. I've only seen one of the OVAs though so my view may not be accurate. In the OVA the main character turned into a girl with boobs and then hung out in the hot spring with the other girls with boobs. Then he got transformed back and was scolded.

What's the story/feeling om Maken-Ki? Fun? Trash?
Good show if you like plump tits and ass.

I loved it. A Xebec classic. The second season and OVAs were god-tier ecchi.

It's about boobs. I've only seen one of the OVAs though so may view may not be accurate. In the OVA the main character turned into a girl with boobs and then hung out in the hot spring with the other girls with boobs. Then he got transformed back and was scolded.
Don't forget the first thing he did in the bathroom right after he turned into a girl. Girls are amazing~

School-Live! is the best show no one's watching. I almost passed over it, so glad I didn't. The last few episodes have been fantastic, though the show is a bit slower paced. Good psychological slice of life, though.

another anime with a group of girls doing mundane things anime is never on my radar. Its always the same. No one even attempts to change the formula. Why cant they have a truck pulling club at school, or have shuffleboard tourneys?

Puruzi

Banned
Maken Ki is wonderful.

Best girl

Joyful

Somebody tell me is there a smart sci fi show I haven't watched that I should? I tend to prefer noir and/or cyberpunk, but I'm waiting on legend of Galactic heroes on Blu ray so that's out of the picture for now in terms of must see sci fi anime. I know there's that show of kids with Google Glass, maybe that's next.

And please no space booby pirates or something like that.

time of eve

Rokka - Braves of the Six Flowers -- Episode 5
Phew, the mindfuck is beginning, everyone is a suspect. This show is fast becoming one of my favorites this year.

JulianImp

Man, I still can't get the Gu scene from Non Non Byori 01 out of my head (paraphrased)...
あぁ、サイケデリックネーム!
音出た!?
具は何を…!?
*nothing*

another anime with a group of girls doing mundane things anime is never on my radar. Its always the same. No one even attempts to change the formula. Why cant they have a truck pulling club at school, or have shuffleboard tourneys?

Give EP1 a try, but if you do remember not to quit until the end.

Cornbread78

Don't forget the first thing he did in the bathroom right after he turned into a girl. Girls are amazing~

It's about boobs. I've only seen one of the OVAs though so may view may not be accurate. In the OVA the main character turned into a girl with boobs and then hung out in the hot spring with the other girls with boobs. Then he got transformed back and was scolded.

Maken Ki is wonderful.

Oh goodness, I don't think this is something I can watch at my desk in the office or at home when my kids are around.... lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware

I didn't know there was such as thing as a Xebec Classic.

It's really not that though. lol

Oh, fapping joke!

JulianImp

dtl doesn't watch mundane girls doing mundane things, he only watches mundane guys doing mundane things

Hey, you forgot the show about not-so-mundane guys playing a children's card game!

I only watched a couple episodes from the first few arcs of Yu-Gi-Oh! back when I was younger, and was sort of put off by how every game had duelists constantly drawing exactly what they needed to turn the tables over and over until the good guys finally managed to deal the killing blow. The writers abusing the inherent randomness of card games as a way to constantly pull off deus ex machina situations got tiring after a while. It felt like a generic shounen, only the writers could make characters fail to draw what they needed until the last second, which would've been the equivalent of Goku forgetting how to Kamehameha until Namek was five seconds away from exploding.

Will watch Gakkou Gurashi once I get back home from work, since I had a busy morning today and missed out on watching it while eating lunch like I usually do.

javac

Gurren Lagann - Ultimate Edition Blu-ray [DEAL OF THE MONTH]
Our Price: £149.99 £49.99
Only 30 units available, UK Only.
alltheanime.com
NOTE: We are offering the Gurren Lagann Ultimate Edition as our Deal Of The Month for August 2015 by way of us having had units returned from retailers. All units that we have are brand new & sealed, but (might) have some form of defect with the packaging. (For example, there may be a loose disc tray in the digipack component that can be rectified by repositioning the tray and pressing firmly on the glued areas. As has been documented, this unfortunately was a problem that some people encountered.)
The price listed as part of this promotion reflects that fact.

Terms and Conditions of this promotion:
  • By buying one of these units as part of our August 2015 AllTheAnime.com Deal Of The Month promotion you have read and understand the above information. As such by purchasing this as part of our deal of the month promotion your unit is not eligible for any replacement scheme.
  • Offer valid while stock lasts. (Only 30 units available.)
  • All orders will be fulfilled using Royal Mail.
  • Offer is valid to UK residents only. Any international orders placed for this product will be cancelled.
  • None of the above affects your statutory rights.

Info on the set is available here: LINK

javac

Haha, I'm glad I got mine already. They seem to be tightening up on UK anime importing.

Hah yeah I see that a lot on stores these days, especially when it comes to rarer items like Amiibo and such. The set was limited to 2000 so I'm not sure how many are still out there in the wild, but they do have a standard set available too which comes in an amaray and without the two movies. As such, I too got this when it came out. Wasn't fond of the show but for the price, I wasn't too disappointed with the end result :p The set itself is fine sans disc tray issue, but I'm not the biggest fan of large boxes and large digipaks. Still, a nice set for a very nice price and a show that a vast majority of the people here enjoy I'd say :)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But I just bought the standard version of Gurren Lagan. :(

For £18 mind.

Are the extras (the movies) worth it? I'm not a fanatic about the series, it's enjoyable but I don't really need to dive more into that universe.

So people are aware (as I wasn't) there are some "glitches" in some of the episodes where the footage changes to SD resolution. Apparently the masters were bad so they had to patch them.

Cornbread78

Mirai Nikki ep.1
Been so busy I only could watch 1 episode this afternoon. I knew this one was psychotic, but damn, it's worse. The poor kid already has a death flag up immediately. Well, at least he got his first kiss in there.

I'm scared GAF, this is not a love story, lol.

Mandelbo

Mirai Nikki ep.1
Been so busy I only could watch 1 episode this afternoon. I knew this one was psychotic, but damn, it's worse. The poor kid already has a death flag up immediately. Well, at least he got his first kiss in there.

Mirai Nikki was a very entertaining watch - Yuno's just so nice and caring and innocent isn't she?

Exalted

Mirai Nikki ep.1

This gona be good ^^

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
School-Live! is the best show no one's watching. I almost passed over it, so glad I didn't. The last few episodes have been fantastic, though the show is a bit slower paced. Good psychological slice of life, though.

I have lacked time this week.

Just got home from work, gonna do a quick work out, some dinner and then watch School Live. This is the type of show you watch AFTER you eat, not before lmfao.

JulianImp

Just got home from work, gonna do a quick work out, some dinner and then watch School Live. This is the type of show you watch AFTER you eat, not before lmfao.

I don't know... honestly, I've never felt nauseous or lost my apetite thanks to any anime I've watched, and that includes stuff such as Another and Gakkou Gurashi.

Then don't even get close to Another or anything that ends in "When they cry", since those series actually show the gore.
I watched that one when it aired, and i actually liked it. I actually don't have any problems with gore or anything, I just don't like to watch that stuff before eating, i like to savour my food with a clear mind lol.

javac

But I just bought the standard version of Gurren Lagan. :(

For £18 mind.

Are the extras (the movies) worth it? I'm not a fanatic about the series, it's enjoyable but I don't really need to dive more into that universe.

So people are aware (as I wasn't) there are some "glitches" in some of the episodes where the footage changes to SD resolution. Apparently the masters were bad so they had to patch them.

This is what the Limited Edition looks like packaging wise: Link
Pictures of my set for a little closer look Link

Here's the content differences between the two editions: Link
WHAT DOES THE ULTIMATE EDITION HAVE THAT THIS DOESN’T?
  • Collector’s packaging (the Ultimate is 21.5cm high, 18cm wide which gives you an idea of scale!)
  • 116 page hardback art book packed with production artwork from the world of Gurren Lagann
  • Gurren Lagann Movie 1: Childhood’s End
  • Gurren Lagann Movie 2: The Lights in the Sky are Stars
  • Parallel Works 1
  • Parallel Works 2

The first film, Gurren Lagann The Movie: Childhood's End is basically a compilation of the first half of the series with things cut out to fit the duration (1 hour, 50 mins) while the second film, Gurren Lagann The Movie: The Lights in the Sky are Stars is a 2 hours, 5 min compilation of the second half again with a few things cut out but some new scenes as well. The Parallel Works are some short music videos with some quirky animation, around an hour in total. I like shorts so I enjoyed them.

There's was a few video issues. Basically the master they received had some video missing so they spliced in the DVD footage. The affcted episodes:
Episode 5 @ 20:47 - 20:56
Episode 7 @ 8:29 - 8:42
Episode 10 @ 17:27

£18 is a fantastic price for the series which is pretty much the full experiences sans the films. I think that they might sell the films by themselves on BD down the line, but those plans might have changed.

Mirai Nikki ep.1

Hoo boy reading your thoughts on Future Diary should be fun.

The second movie of TTGL is worth it just for its version of the final battle alone.

Like, the final battle in that version pretty much completely tops the original in almost every way.

Its so darn amazing.

Jarmel

Banned
Mall Life-5
Remember kids if a room is barricaded from the outside in a zombie apocalypse, that usually means everybody in that room is dead and you are not to open that room. And if you do stupidly open the door, remember to fucking close the door.
Absolutely astounding. She figured out the dog's name by just barking it at it. She truly is a living dog whisperer. Taroumaru is also too cute.
I loved how they used smear animation when someone is being dragged to their death like this.

Well this is cute I guess. SFX and music go well with the Moe aesthetic, the dog sidekick is cute enough, details on the MOE SENPAI are okay.
Wait. Wait those windows are broken, that's weird.
Oh how cute the physical comedy is neat.
Wait, wtf was that? Weird.
Oh cute more dog stuff, I enjoy a nice Moe show now and again, this seems fun so far, definitely ups the cute factor. Okay well this...

Wait. WAIT. WAAAAAAAAAAIT.

giphy.gif

javac

The second movie of TTGL is worth it just for its version of the final battle alone.

Like, the final battle in that version pretty much completely tops the original in almost every way.

Its so darn amazing.

As a person who didn't like Lagann, I agree that the finale in the second film is a bit better but still wasn't enough for me unfortunately, but a little step in the correct direction is better than no step.

UberTag

Well this is cute I guess. SFX and music go well with the Moe aesthetic, the dog sidekick is cute enough, details on the MOE SENPAI are okay.
Wait. Wait those windows are broken, that's weird.
Oh how cute the physical comedy is neat.
Wait, wtf was that? Weird.
Oh cute more dog stuff, I enjoy a nice Moe show now and again, this seems fun so far, definitely ups the cute factor. Okay well this...

Wait. WAIT. WAAAAAAAAAAIT.

giphy.gif
Episode 1 reaction posts for this show will never get old.

Xebec classic ? maybe not

It's no STELVIA OF THE UNIVERSE

now that's an anime everyone should watch . Too bad xebec doesn't do those kind of show anymore.

It's about boobs. I've only seen one of the OVAs though so my view may not be accurate. In the OVA the main character turned into a girl with boobs and then hung out in the hot spring with the other girls with boobs. Then he got transformed back and was scolded.
Not exactly accurate but you're not far from the truth. Boobs are clearly there.

Is it sarcasm ? because School life is anything but a normal anime.

I didn't know there was such as thing as a Xebec Classic.
Remember the old xebec ? the one with stelvia of the universe ?

who told u it was a love story

It's certainly about love . But what is love exactly ? There are may forms of love after all.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
This is what the Limited Edition looks like packaging wise: Link
Pictures of my set for a little closer look Link

Here's the content differences between the two editions: Link
The first film, Gurren Lagann The Movie: Childhood's End is basically a compilation of the first half of the series with things cut out to fit the duration (1 hour, 50 mins) while the second film, Gurren Lagann The Movie: The Lights in the Sky are Stars is a 2 hours, 5 min compilation of the second half again with a few things cut out but some new scenes as well. The Parallel Works are some short music videos with some quirky animation, around an hour in total. I like shorts so I enjoyed them.

There's was a few video issues. Basically the master they received had some video missing so they spliced in the DVD footage. The affcted episodes:
Episode 5 @ 20:47 - 20:56
Episode 7 @ 8:29 - 8:42
Episode 10 @ 17:27

£18 is a fantastic price for the series which is pretty much the full experiences sans the films. I think that they might sell the films by themselves on BD down the line, but those plans might have changed.
Thanks for the answer. Well I'll stick to my copy which I've already watched all the way through (I will say I probably enjoyed it more now than I did back then. Probably because my expectation were much lower) The packaging is certainly nice but I wouldn't even know what to do with it. I'll save the 50 quid to spend on something else.

What is odd is that they say the TV broadcast version of episode 6 is exclusive to the Ultimate Edition but it's included in the standard edition as well.

javac

Thanks for the answer. Well I'll stick to my copy which I've already watched all the way through (I will say I probably enjoyed it more now than I did back then. Probably because my expectation were much lower) The packaging is certainly nice but I wouldn't even know what to do with it. I'll save the 50 quid to spend on something else.

What is odd is that they say the TV broadcast version of episode 6 is exclusive to the Ultimate Edition but it's included in the standard edition as well.

Sorry about that mess of a comment, it was less of an answer and more of a FAQ lol, but hopefully it helped :) Good decision I'd say, that money could go towards some other nice sets. The Lagann set is nice enough, but the standard edition is pretty extensive I'd say content wise. Anime Limited actually sent me a standard edition for free due to the digipak issue and I just sold it and put the money towards Space Dandy CE, but holding the standard edition of Lagann in hand, I might have actually preferred its simplicity more than the over engineered Ultimate set.

Any other series you've got your eyes on buying?

School Live 05

Woah what was that that Yuki saw while she had a fever,
a whole room full of zombies and her being among them? A memory? Or just reality colliding with her delusions? I could see the former being true, since the room is all wrecked up and full of blood in reality. Maybe she went berserk and killed them all, part of what made her the way she is now. Or it could be the latter, in which she is simply seeing how her friends most likely look like outside of her dream world.

Mandelbo

Oh, oops. I still have one more episode of Aria to go because there are actually 13 altogether. Whatever, I'll finish it off tomorrow morning.

Aria the Animation 12

That was a bit of a weird episode. I wasn't really expecting Akari to
leap through time!
Shouldn't she have been a little more shocked that she was able to do that?
Going to the past
isn't something that happens every day! It's strange because the certainly felt like a final episode, what with the OP and ED variations and the flashback at the end.

Humanity Has Declined 3

I have to admit, I didn't expect this episode to begin with Watashi being trapped in a white void to transition into an episode primarily about Yoai/BL Doujinshi culture.

Good episode all around. Watashi's snark about everything around her is entertaining and the new girl a fun character.

Sterok

School-Live 5

Successful infiltration of the mall. Kurumi manages to be effective muscle for the group. Yuki likes Taroumaru, and that brings her to Miki. Which sort of triggers reality for her kind of. I suppose that's how she's managed to live thus far. Deep down she's aware enough to keep herself from doing anything too stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom