• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

I watched the first few episodes about a year ago but never finished it. I've always wanted to go back and see it through to the end, though.

Trying to think of ideas for the next "Let's Watch" We have the list from a few pages ago, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything I shouldn't be...

Maybe something a little more lively.

Angel Beats has a good mix of action, comedy, great music and mild drama. Not sure if it is too popular though. I'd watch it again with everyone since it's one of my all-tme favs...

I'm listening to some of the OST on Youtube and it's easy to forget how awesome the music is for the show outside of My Soul,My Beats...

Trying to think of ideas for the next "Let's Watch" We have the list from a few pages ago, but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything I shouldn't be...

Maybe something a little more lively.

Angel Beats has a good mix of action, comedy, great music and mild drama. Not sure if it is too popular though. I'd watch it again with everyone since it's one of my all-tme favs...

I think it's pretty well known, it's also not available on Crunchyroll where I live so we're just going to run into the same problem as the last one if you want to keep the whole "everyone should be able to watch it" shtick.

Aside from that, the next show obviously needs to be Inferno Cop, It's underwatched and has a legal stream on Youtube, it also fits in both the trainwreck and the good show category.
It's also super short, we could rush through it in two days or something.

do Panty and Stocking for the next livewatch

Only if it's the dub

Cornbread78

Weren't you gonna watch less well-known shows? Not sure Angel Beats fit that criteria.

I know, uggh, not easy...

Ducky, you have any good ideas?

Noragami (2nd season is coming this Fall)
Tsuritama (CR)
Shingeki no Bahamut
Another
Black Bullet
Kids on the Slope,
Sunday without God,
11eyes,
Terraformars.
Kyousougiga
Mitsudomoe
Buddy Complex
Meganebu!
Ping Pong
Abenobashi Magical Shopping District
Le Portrait de Petit Cossette (Mind fuck show? so...)
Mezzo Forte (watch the censored version)
And Yet The Town Moves
The Eccentric Family
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Wondering Son
Eden of the East
Terror in Resonance
Tetsuko's Travels
Inferno Cop

I'm glad to hear it.

Curious, what do you think of the show's one serious flaw, the nonsensical female costume design?

I guess at this point I'm desensitized by stuff like this, I didn't even notice until you pointed it out lol. Everything is so great, the plot makes me want to watch more, the visuals are stunning, animation is great (although some CG here and there is bit meh), the OST is phenomenal. I'm on episode 17 atm and I'm loving the heck out of this show. Might be one of my favourite ones of recent times.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Tsuritama (CR)
Shingeki no Bahamut
Another
Hanayamata (crunchy)
Black Bullet
Kids on the Slope,
Sunday without God,
11eyes,
Terraformars.
Kyousougiga
Mitsudomoe
Buddy Complex
Glasslip
Meganebu!
Ping Pong
Paranoia Agent
And Yet The Town Moves
The Eccentric Family
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Sunday without God is an equivalent show and is just as good.

Its basically Dark Souls: Moe anime version.

And I do not kid.

Tsuritama (CR)
Shingeki no Bahamut
Another
Hanayamata (crunchy)
Black Bullet
Kids on the Slope,
Sunday without God,
11eyes,
Terraformars.
Kyousougiga
Mitsudomoe
Buddy Complex
Glasslip
Meganebu!
Ping Pong
Paranoia Agent
And Yet The Town Moves
The Eccentric Family
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Don't make people watch Glasslip. Seriously. If you want to watch more exciting stories about chicken, go to a supermarket or something. Cuz that's all the show had going for it, and I am not one to complain about shows as you know lol.

cajunator

Banned

Tsuritama (CR)
Shingeki no Bahamut
Another
Hanayamata (crunchy)
Black Bullet
Kids on the Slope,
Sunday without God,
11eyes,
Terraformars.
Kyousougiga
Mitsudomoe
Buddy Complex
Glasslip
Meganebu!
Ping Pong
Paranoia Agent
And Yet The Town Moves
The Eccentric Family
Gugure! Kokkuri-san

watch Tsuritama!

Saudades

Tsuritama (CR)
Kyousougiga
Ping Pong
Paranoia Agent
And Yet The Town Moves
The Eccentric Family

Can't go wrong with any of these.

And for the love of all that's good and well-drawn (courtesy of Branduil), don't pick Angel Beats.

Cornbread78

I updated that list a little with the recs from the other thread as well. Maybe something a little mroe action orientated, or somethig philosophical.

The music is really good though

Yeah, it is, but ya know, I jsut put on the Clannad Sountrack right after and it's not even close...

javac

Just got this in the post :D
:)
No I don't import though I have been informed that some American Blu Rays are region free so I may look into that option. I was once tempted to even import Xenoglossia since DVD regions are less of a problem.

Also it would be a real slap in the face if KMB turns out to be DVD.

A few Blu-rays are region free, yes. Japanese Blu-rays are pretty much region free across the board but many of them are not English friendly although a few are.

In terms of expecting KMB on Blu-ray, MVM basically always go for the cheapest option. To put it in perspective, Patlabor is split up into two time lines, the movie timeline and the TV timeline:
glHluEK.jpg
They released The Early Days OVA on both Blu-ray and DVD, released none of the films for the first timeline and have released The New Files on DVD only and not release the TV series, which is a prequel to The New Files. So they released the beginning of the first timeline on Blu-ray and DVD and the end of the second timeline on DVD only, nice! Also, Aku no Hana on DVD only :(

It's not impossible, they do and have released Blu-rays in the past, but generally they just take the Australian Blu-ray from Madman, so if Australia forgo Blu-ray, they do to.

JulianImp

Aside from that, the next show obviously needs to be Inferno Cop, It's underwatched and has a legal stream on Youtube, it also fits in both the trainwreck and the good show category.
It's also super short, we could rush through it in two days or something.

I've heard comparisons of that show with Ninja Slayer From Animation, and having watched the particle shuriken scene on YouTube made me go "nope" in a heartbeat. It's so bad it causes an underflow but still manages to end up as an abysmally bad show, at least from what I could see in that scene, so I'm not particularily thrilled at the prospect of seeing the equivalent of a Newgrounds animation.

If it's so short, we could fit it in the two days we have off in between the end of Jinrui EP12 and the start of the next series, though.

I'd be in for a psychological show, but I'll have to check whatever recommendations to see if they happen to be available in my CR region.

I've heard comparisons of that show with Ninja Slayer From Animation, and having watched the particle shuriken scene on YouTube made me go "nope" in a heartbeat. It's so bad it causes an underflow but still manages to end up as an abysmally bad show, at least from what I could see in that scene, so I'm not particularily thrilled at the prospect of seeing the equivalent of a Newgrounds animation.

If it's so short, we could fit it in the two days we have off in between the end of Jinrui EP12 and the start of the next series, though.

I'd be in for a psychological show, but I'll have to check whatever recommendations to see if they happen to be available in my CR region.

n51244f4517067.gif

It's a certain wierd brand of humor that you either like or not, it's still unique enough that it's worth the experience though,

Ushio and Tora 06

Classic shonen episode, turn bratty kid with dead mom nice by killing the Leviathan. CLASSIC!

The S-Link for Ushio and Tora must be at level 3 by now

Next episode probably more plot?

Tsuritama (CR)
Shingeki no Bahamut
Another
Black Bullet
Kids on the Slope,
Sunday without God,
11eyes,
Terraformars.
Kyousougiga
Mitsudomoe
Buddy Complex
Meganebu!
Ping Pong
And Yet The Town Moves
The Eccentric Family
Gugure! Kokkuri-san
Wondering Son
Eden of the East
Terror in Resonance
Tetsuko's Travels
Inferno Cop

Glasslip or Meganebu!, would be nice to have a more down to earth and mystical anime. Both are really good.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Guys, guys, guys...

Guess what?

It's fucking Tadokoro Megumi Day today!

There will be some delicious Sumire Karaage Rolls in this episode today... which I did myself yesterday. Video will follow soon. :)

How is it Tadokoro day she's not even in the location where they are at

Cornbread78

Rewatch it twice a year, its so good.

I might just go rewatch it. Those last two episodes just took me off guard completely... It's got a great mix of everythign and isn't your normal melowdramatic "keyshit" so I was just wondering if it was "too" popular

Cornbread, Tetsuko no Tabi is the anime you're looking for.

I added it to the mix

Don't make people watch Glasslip. Seriously. If you want to watch more exciting stories about chicken, go to a supermarket or something. Cuz that's all the show had going for it, and I am not one to complain about shows as you know lol.

BTW, I removed Glasslip yours wasn't he first complaint, lol.

This Clannad soundtrack is killing me; The Palm of a Tiny Hand just played, and the ball in my throat cames immediately..

Don't forget to watch the movie after you finish the series. It's excellent.
It's already on my queue for me to watch as soon as I am done with the episodes. Glad to hear it's also great!

BTW, I removed Glasslip yours wasn't he first complaint, lol.
You did well. Man that show was pure trash. I went into it thinking it was going to be a romcom about a girl that made glass trinkets. What I got was a nonsensical show with stupid and a bunch of chicken. I feel like the chicken played their role better than the characters.

JulianImp

It's already on my queue for me to watch as soon as I am done with the episodes. Glad to hear it's also great!

You did well. Man that show was pure trash. I went into it thinking it was going to be a romcom about a girl that made glass trinkets. What I got was a nonsensical show with stupid and a bunch of chicken. I feel like the chicken played their role better than the characters.

If watching Jinrui has taught me anything, it's that chickens can be deceptively good characters if the setting is crazy enough to put them in a position as relevant characters.

Prison School 05

I think the pacing has slowed down to the point where it's not a problem anymore.

This episode was enjoyable, it lacked a really outstanding scene but it was still fun, especially with Kyoshi's wierd thoughts. Vice Prez's sweating is even more noticable in the anime lol.

Oh, the hype for the next episode is real, Hana is so good.

I realized that Kyoshi has the same VA as Araragi from Monogatari, perfect casting.

Wakabe Girls 06

This episode wasn't really what I was looking for in this series, kinda wierd that this all happened.

Isuca ep. 7-END:
tumblr_njq8bri7Wu1tk91v5o1_500.gif

There was nothing extremely great about this one, but I did continue to find the story entertaining despite the little love triangle that developed with the sisters, well and Neko demon girl; she was the best kisser of the bunch by far, lol. At least some things were actually decided by the end. My only real problem with it was the fact that the ending while it did tie up the relationship between heroine and MC, really left the plot line unresolved and wide open for a 2nd season, ugghh.
That's kinda the problem with ISUCA , it does nothing that makes it stand out. It's so "by the books" that it leaves a blank sentiment once you finish it. The very definition of "average"

How many people have seen Angel Beats! here?
A lot .. the gifs are so numerous people watched it well after it aired.

Mandelbo

Prison School 05

I think the pacing has slowed down to the point where it's not a problem anymore.

This episode was enjoyable, it lacked a really outstanding scene but it was still fun, especially with Kyoshi's wierd thoughts. Vice Prez's sweating is even more noticable in the anime lol.

Oh, the hype for the next episode is real, Hana is so good.

I realized that Kyoshi has the same VA as Araragi from Monogatari, perfect casting.

When I was reading the manga I was always a little uncertain as to whether or not that was actually sweat given how risque everything is :p

Supposedly the chicken in Glasslip were a big part of the symbolism behind the show. The problem is when you try to cram too much of that stuff into a show, making it incoherent for just a normal watch. Forreal, the show made 0 sense. I'm sure the director had this great vision but the execution was awful.

When Glasslip was airing I made a fun game out of watching the MAL rating plummet lower and lower - I honestly thought it was going to dip below 5 at some point, but I see now it's climbed up a bit higher now. It's a 5.59!

If watching Jinrui has taught me anything, it's that chickens can be deceptively good characters if the setting is crazy enough to put them in a position as relevant characters.

Supposedly the chicken in Glasslip were a big part of the symbolism behind the show. The problem is when you try to cram too much of that stuff into a show, making it incoherent for just a normal watch. Forreal, the show made 0 sense. I'm sure the director had this great vision but the execution was awful.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gate 06 is about as expected, but here I'm coming up on a similar problem that I had with the episode I saw of that Shin Sekai anime in terms of using imagery without acknowledging any context.

So this episode directly references Apocalypse Now, not only with Ride of the Valkyries, but with this as well:

eg15VbKl.png

BLKL4SPl.png

And here is the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rAFMC2O9dQ

Which is fine and dandy, but it misses the entire point of the god damned movie or Vietnam as a whole.

And fine, I can understand why someone Japanese doesn't understand what Vietnam meant for America or why it is important. If Americans are allowed to be ignorant about the rest of the world, then the rest of the world gets to be ignorant of American history.

But it's like the guy who wrote this didn't watch the movie it references, only the "cool bits" on Youtube. So in case you've never seen the movie before, this is a scene that happens right after the helicopters slaughter the VC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbw0_YaUrNo

In case it's not clear, a chopper lands on the ground and tries to evacuate some civilians. It turns out that the civilians are also VC and one of them, a girl, throws a grenade into the chopper killing everyone on board. Those are American bodies on fire in that clip. Of course, then Kilgore calls them "fucking savages", reminding you that like almost all American military misadventures, dehumanizing the enemy is the only way that the American psyche can cope with the slaughter of all these people.

This isn't something that you pull out of your ass. It's in the film that they are referencing, so it is a bit distasteful to take a film that wants to look at the tragedy of war in order to turn it into a bland action scene.

And it would be something if the Japanese soldiers were ever in peril. Or if they called these fantasy humans "gooks" in order to show how they are very much like the Americans that are being referenced explicitly through the imagery. But this show doesn't aim for any of that, so my only answer would be, don't use one of the most iconic anti-war films as a reference for your goddamned action scene.

Hell, I'm not even against blind patriotism and warmongering in culture. I'm fine, at least broadly speaking, with Stargate SG-1 or The Last Ship or Independence Day or even Michael Bay films. But at least they have the sense to know exactly what they are, and they're not invoking Viet-fucking-nam for their war imagery.

Gate 06 is about as expected, but here I'm coming up on a similar problem that I had with the episode I saw of that Shin Sekai anime in terms of using imagery without acknowledging any context.

So this episode directly references Apocalypse Now, not only with Ride of the Valkyries, but with this as well:

It maybe the case that isn't the GATE's writer referencing Apocalypse Now. It's the fictional characters, the JSDF soldiers, referencing Apocalypse Now! And said soldiers don't give a crap about the Vietnam's context, of course, they are doing film references.

I'm not following the anime, but in the manga you can see how a soldier is requesting the tape to be put in the speakers...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
LOL

Firehawk this isn't a big deal. It's one of the most iconic scenes in cinema.
You're taking this way way way too seriously.
It matters though, because you don't get to take scenes from films and discard the message of the film itself. If we accept that as standard operating procedure, then culture really is dead and all we are left with are just memes.

It's like when people use the "Are you talking to me?" line from Taxi Driver in their shit, but forget that the whole point of that film is that Travis Bickle is a broken Vietnam War vet turned sociopath stalker.

It maybe the case that isn't the GATE's writer referencing Apocalypse Now. It's the fictional characters, the JSDF soldiers, referencing Apocalypse Now! And said soldiers don't give a crap about the Vietnam's context, of course, they are doing film references.

I'm not following the anime, but in the manga you can see how a soldier is requesting the tape to be put in the speakers...
These characters are not autonomous thinking entities. Their actions and their words are placed there by someone.

duckroll

It matters though, because you don't get to take scenes from films and discard the message of the film itself. If we accept that as standard operating procedure, then culture really is dead and all we are left with are just memes.

It's like when people use the "Are you talking to me?" line from Taxi Driver in their shit, but forget that the whole point of that film is that Travis Bickle is a broken Vietnam War vet turned sociopath stalker.

No one watching dumb asian cartoons cares about context, only instant gratification. Otherwise they wouldn't be watching dumb asian cartoons.

These characters are not autonomous thinking entities. Their actions and their words are placed there by someone.

Uh, yes they can. These kinda stuff happens all the time.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Oh good, I can finally assemble a Popura army in my office. I'm sure the clients will all be impressed.

6310778996_cfd7b673ef_o.jpg

I guess at this point I'm desensitized by stuff like this, I didn't even notice until you pointed it out lol. Everything is so great, the plot makes me want to watch more, the visuals are stunning, animation is great (although some CG here and there is bit meh), the OST is phenomenal. I'm on episode 17 atm and I'm loving the heck out of this show. Might be one of my favourite ones of recent times.

Damn you're already at episodes 17. I'm barely on episode 13 and I started before you.

Man does it suck when you're really busy.😑 Plus I really enjoy watching Space Battleship Yamato a lot. I might have to consider dropping some shows this season just to finish watching it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom