• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Firehawk is right.

600x400

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No one watching dumb asian cartoons cares about context, only instant gratification. Otherwise they wouldn't be watching dumb asian cartoons.
Aren't we allowed to have some standards?

I was about to say that there's going to be a point when some anime just takes some shit from Schindler's List because they're too lazy to write their own tragedy, but then I remembered Valkyria Chronicles. :p

javac

Man I can never win. Either I stay awake at night and watch shit then, only to sleep late and wake up with no sleep/wake up late or I go to bed early and then become too tired to watch anything during the day. I'm so tired >.<

Prison School 05

Pacing is pretty much normal now. I have forgotten a lot about the first half but there are things I remember. Face game still on point.

Censorship was kind of annoying this episode. VP is the sweatiest being in the universe.

Droplet

I was about to say that there's going to be a point when some anime just takes some shit from Schindler's List because they're too lazy to write their own tragedy, but then I remembered Valkyria Chronicles. :p

Hey man, don't blame the dumb anime story when there exists the dumb game story they had to adapt.

Haly

When you just make references to pop culture without context, you eventually wind up with Ready Player One.

Supporting this is supporting cultural genocide*.

I couldn't even bring myself to make a holocaust joke here.

These characters are not autonomous thinking entities. Their actions and their words are placed there by someone.

Yes, but their action and words usually are chosen given their place, their personality, their role in the story. So the question is, are the soldier doing a dumb movie reference because they are supposed to be dumb average joe soldiers?

Jarmel

Banned

If the anime was trying to be a serious analysis of the horrors of modern warfare or how easily human life is tossed aside in modern warfare you might have a point. Instead we have a girl in a goth costume having an orgasm due to the dying soldiers' souls being transferred her, a woman named Pina Colada leading the troops, and a soldier just running straight into a horde of enemy soldiers to get her melee kills up.

It's not even remotely trying to be serious. Or at least I hope not.

duckroll

When you just make references to pop culture without context, you eventually wind up with Ready Player One.

Steven Spielberg directing Ready Player One is the only holocaust joke you need. :(

What's wrong with unambitious war anime?

Without unambitious studios and creative staff we wouldn't get our bi-monthly Marvel movie. I don't want to live in such a world!

Damn you're already at episodes 17. I'm barely on episode 13 and I started before you.

Man does it suck when you're really busy.&#128529; Plus I really enjoy watching Space Battleship Yamato a lot. I might have to consider dropping some shows this season just to finish watching it.
I'm on 20 now lol. I'm watching it in bulk on my days off work that's why. Most of the weekly stuff I watch is only on today, tomorrow and Sunday which means after I'm home there's nothing to do besides browse the web or play a videogame. Once school starts next month, it'll be a different story.

But yeah mostly it's because I am really enjoying this a lot and can't stop myself from watching whatever happens next lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yes, but their action and words usually are chosen given their place, their personality, their role in the story. So the question is, are the soldier doing a dumb movie reference because they are supposed to be dumb average joe soldiers?
Given that this show wants you to think that the JDSF is the greatest fighting force in the world, I doubt it.

Even American films and shows about soldiers balance out the joy of slaughtering helpless people with the fact that they are slowly witnessing the slow death of their own humanity. Christ, even that shit fest American Sniper at least tries to be about something.

If the anime was trying to be a serious analysis of the horrors of modern warfare or how easily human life is tossed aside in modern warfare you might have a point. Instead we have a girl in a goth costume having an orgasm due to the dying soldiers' souls being transferred her, a woman named Pina Colada leading the troops, and a soldier just running straight into a horde of soldiers to get her melee kills up.

It's not even remotely trying to be serious. Or at least I hope not.
Stargate SG-1 has space Egyptians trying to invade Earth, and that show celebrates the fuck out of the Air Force. You can be silly and show cool military dudes doing cool things without making references to iconic anti-war movies.

Hey man, don't blame the dumb anime story when there exists the dumb game story they had to adapt.
Oh Japan. :(

I wonder if it's a good thing that at least Cline doesn't random war references amongst his shitty 80s nerd references. I mean all of the iconic war films are from the 80s, so maybe his next book will be about a gamer who plays a Vietnam VR game and ends up meeting both Martin Sheen and Charlie Sheen.

Jarmel

Banned
Stargate SG-1 has space Egyptians trying to invade Earth, and that show celebrates the fuck out of the Air Force. You can be silly and show cool military dudes doing cool things without making references to iconic anti-war movies.

It's done often enough for parody purposes that it shouldn't be a big deal. The scifi TV show Eureka had some reference with pesticides or whatever.

.hack//Sign 2-6

In comparison to the more recent "trapped in MMO" series, this has a really different feel so far. Since Tsukasa is the only one, it's a lot less action and more of a mystery with the other characters figuring out why he's trapped. The way everyone acts so completely serious is a bit odd though, since technically there isn't much at stake for anyone else involved.

It is kind of interesting how nobody is getting the police or admins involved, but it sort of makes sense when it's only one person out of an entire MMO population, and the player himself won't let anyone know about him. And Tsukasa is a pretty well done loner character too, who actually acts like a loner who refuses contact with others, but maintains that small amount of hopeful interaction with a few people.

Quite interesting so far, really liking it. Soundtrack remains amazing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You are having way too high standards. Forget anime cartoons for a moment, most people in real life will be happy to recognize the famous moment in a famous movie without giving a crap about the fact it was a bleak war drama.
It'd be like compiling a supercut of... I dunno, all the moments of celebratory excess from The Wolf of Wall Street and suggesting that the movie is about how great Capitalism is without acknowledging the actual message of the film.

It's done often enough for parody purposes that it shouldn't be a big deal. The scifi TV show Eureka had some reference with pesticides or whatever.
I think it's not as bad when it's comedic. But a comedy doesn't typically reference things that detracts from the fact that it's a comedy.

Is Gate trying to be a comedy? Even then, referencing for the sake of referencing was not as rampant back then. And also, the point there was the fact that it's the Sheens in a war movie together, because har har Platoon and Apocalypse Now.

Haly

It'd be like compiling a supercut of... I dunno, all the moments of celebratory excess from The Wolf of Wall Street and suggesting that the movie is about how great Capitalism is without acknowledging the actual message of the film.

In fairness this is how layviewers responded to Wolf of Wall Street.

I think it's not as bad when it's comedic. But a comedy doesn't typically reference things that detracts from the fact that it's a comedy.

Is Gate trying to be a comedy? Even then, referencing for the sake of referencing was not as rampant back then. And also, the point there was the fact that it's the Sheens in a war movie together, because har har Platoon and Apocalypse Now.

So you're saying that scene is in there specifically for reference purpose and nothing else. Since you know... that's the only scene with Martin Sheen in the movie.
But a war anime making reference to the helmet scene is a big no no?
The helmet scene... yeah, I'm not buying your argument.

Soma - 18 is about as expected, but here I'm coming up on a similar problem that I had with the episode I saw of that Shin Sekai anime in terms of using imagery without acknowledging any context.

So this episode directly references the Edo period:

And here is the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQlxcz9U2x0

Which is fine and dandy, but it misses the entire point of the god damned period or Japan as a whole.
And fine, I can understand why someone Japanese doesn't understand what Japan meant for their ancestors or why it is important. If Japanese are allowed to be ignorant about their own history, then the rest of the world gets to be ignorant of Japanese history.

But it's like the guy who wrote this didn't live in the period it references, only the "cool bits" on Youtube.
This isn't something that you pull out of your ass. It's in the history that they are referencing, so it is a bit distasteful to take a show that wants to look at the tragedy of war in order to turn it into a bland comedic scene.

Hell, I'm not even against blind history and warmongering in culture. I'm fine, at least broadly speaking, with Last Samurai or even Michael Bay films. But at least they have the sense to know exactly what they are, and they're not invoking E-fucking-do for their war imagery.

Symphogear GX 06

You know what happened in this episode? everything.
I mean EVERYTHING FUCKING THING happened!
And that Ignite mode it's awesome.

So i can't fucking wait next episode---

(MBS delay next episode because they need to air Golf match)

You fucking wat, now i hope MX won't delay it then it will just 1 day delay.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Soma - 18 is about as expected, but here I'm coming up on a similar problem that I had with the episode I saw of that Shin Sekai anime in terms of using imagery without acknowledging any context.

So this episode directly references the Edo period:

And here is the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQlxcz9U2x0

Which is fine and dandy, but it misses the entire point of the god damned period or Japan as a whole.
And fine, I can understand why someone Japanese doesn't understand what Japan meant for their ancestors or why it is important. If Japanese are allowed to be ignorant about their own history, then the rest of the world gets to be ignorant of Japanese history.

But it's like the guy who wrote this didn't live in the period it references, only the "cool bits" on Youtube.
This isn't something that you pull out of your ass. It's in the history that they are referencing, so it is a bit distasteful to take a show that wants to look at the tragedy of war in order to turn it into a bland comedic scene.

Hell, I'm not even against blind history and warmongering in culture. I'm fine, at least broadly speaking, with Last Samurai or even Michael Bay films. But at least they have the sense to know exactly what they are, and they're not invoking E-fucking-do for their war imagery.

Goddamn lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In fairness this is how layviewers responded to Wolf of Wall Street.
True. lol

So you're saying that scene is in there specifically for reference purpose and nothing else. Since you know... that's the only scene with Martin Sheen in the movie.
But a war anime making reference to the helmet scene is a big no no?
The helmet scene... yeah, I'm not buying your argument.
If you are making a war "thing" and you directly reference some other war "thing" but strip the reference of any of its context, then yes, it's problematic.

Well, then again, the guy who wrote Gate is a right-wing nutjob, so maybe he thinks killing VC is perfectly fine for an American soldier to do and that Vietnam would have been a great war if it weren't for those liberal anti-war hippies with their protests and whatnot. Maybe he sees Kilgore as the perfect soldier, without any irony.

The was also about Wall Street.
Yes, that too. It's meta!
(Remember when being "meta" was a thing??)

cajunator

Banned
Gate 06 is about as expected, but here I'm coming up on a similar problem that I had with the episode I saw of that Shin Sekai anime in terms of using imagery without acknowledging any context.

So this episode directly references Apocalypse Now, not only with Ride of the Valkyries, but with this as well:

eg15VbKl.png

BLKL4SPl.png

And here is the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rAFMC2O9dQ

Which is fine and dandy, but it misses the entire point of the god damned movie or Vietnam as a whole.

And fine, I can understand why someone Japanese doesn't understand what Vietnam meant for America or why it is important. If Americans are allowed to be ignorant about the rest of the world, then the rest of the world gets to be ignorant of American history.

But it's like the guy who wrote this didn't watch the movie it references, only the "cool bits" on Youtube. So in case you've never seen the movie before, this is a scene that happens right after the helicopters slaughter the VC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbw0_YaUrNo

In case it's not clear, a chopper lands on the ground and tries to evacuate some civilians. It turns out that the civilians are also VC and one of them, a girl, throws a grenade into the chopper killing everyone on board. Those are American bodies on fire in that clip. Of course, then Kilgore calls them "fucking savages", reminding you that like almost all American military misadventures, dehumanizing the enemy is the only way that the American psyche can cope with the slaughter of all these people.

This isn't something that you pull out of your ass. It's in the film that they are referencing, so it is a bit distasteful to take a film that wants to look at the tragedy of war in order to turn it into a bland action scene.

And it would be something if the Japanese soldiers were ever in peril. Or if they called these fantasy humans "gooks" in order to show how they are very much like the Americans that are being referenced explicitly through the imagery. But this show doesn't aim for any of that, so my only answer would be, don't use one of the most iconic anti-war films as a reference for your goddamned action scene.

Hell, I'm not even against blind patriotism and warmongering in culture. I'm fine, at least broadly speaking, with Stargate SG-1 or The Last Ship or Independence Day or even Michael Bay films. But at least they have the sense to know exactly what they are, and they're not invoking Viet-fucking-nam for their war imagery.

Taking this show too seriously I think. Gate isnt a serious commentary on war, its just a silly over the top action show. That said, I actually like and appreciate the homages to the movie and they add to the charm.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think we are starting to zero in on your problem with this show.
The thing is, The Last Ship is a fairly conservative US NAVY HOORAH show and I really don't have any problems with it. It's literally American sailors fighting against evil British people trying to take over America by spreading a virus and I'm perfectly fine with it.

Taking this show too seriously I think. Gate isnt a serious commentary on war, its just a silly over the top action show. That said, I actually like and appreciate the homages to the movie and they add to the charm.
For me, it's not about being serious, it's about using a reference without the context that bugs me.

Caesnd

Anime like GATE and Overlord are actually sort of revolting, purely on their concepts and the way the way they go about delivering them, and I'm not talking about the the usual tropes either.

Seeing the supposed protagonist take vantage of their superior standing to commit massacres does not instill any sort of excitement. It's not even instant gratification. It's all just ugly.

On a more positive note, I just learned that Japan decided that Anne of Green Gables would be rock before turning it into anime.

IMAS Cinderella Girls S2 05

UxKNckq.jpg

Daisuki still thinks Russian is some alien language

I think this show does a pretty good job of juggling like 20 different characters. I haven't seen the original series but for 26 some episodes CG is doing pretty well at it.

Shokugeki no Soma 18

This arc is still alright. More importantly next few episodes are gonna own hard

kewlmyc

GATE 06

Probably my current favorite show of the season. Some part of me wants to see the SDF actually have a challenge, but another part of me enjoys seeing the medieval troops get completely dominated by modern weaponry. Loved that they played Ride of the Valkyries, though it makes me wonder if they actually know the relevance of that song in Apocalypse Now. I wonder if they played it since maybe the SDF outside of Itami's group thinks the medieval soldiers they were fighting were savages. Probably looking too into it and they just played it as a reference. All and all, it was a good episode and it makes me can't wait to see the next one.
I hope Itami knows what he's doing by getting captured like that. That Rose Brigade must have some serious balls to just walk up to the SDF like that with swords drawn. If it was any commander other than Itami, they would have been dead right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom