• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

My Wife the President ep.6
Wow, steamy steamy steamy. Mom being a perverted loli look-alike was hilarious. The show really has little redeeming factors to it outside of the hotNess watching a "newlywed" couple try to figure out lust, lol.

Soma 18

Of course Soma would be able to turn the situation around. The way he did it was ppretty smart though. Also once he got back to school he got the news that he was
elected
so that is pretty hype. Again, this show delivers.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Civilization must be a boring game for you.

Well I don't usually consider myself a protagonist there, unless I'm going cultural.

Which, granted, is practically all the time.

bNADu2L.jpg

And I'm fully aware of the historical context of my religious cleansings in CK2. The kafirl scum aren't going to jihad themselves you know. How else will I, Caliph Al-Mansur, see the star and crescent rise over Anatolia?

Symphogear GX 06

TLWPXiZ.jpg

what does that mean

What an extremely Symphogear episode. That's good by the way the show has been lacking in Symphogear-ness since the first episode. Thank god the losing arc is over and now the "we are extremely op again" arc is here. And they did actually get Mark II outfits! HYPE

I like how Carol just sat and watched them scream in pain for a while twice because I don't expect anything less from the villains in this show. I assume this is going to be some kind of Lavos scenario where they beat the final boss halfway but now they have to stop the final final boss. Also Carol isn't dead because only red hair can die.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I got hungry during that episode of Soma, and I was already eating karaage when it started.

cajunator

Banned
A quick search produced this post, where firehawk mentions his qualms about the show referencing an image from the Vietnam War in episode 4.

Japan has a habit of using elements of war and pop culture in anime. But thats not just a japanese thing, Its found in entertainment in the us too. People reference what they have seen before, and war atrocities are iconic, even if the subject matter is horrible.

Jex

Symphogear GX 06

What an extremely Symphogear episode. That's good by the way the show has been lacking in Symphogear-ness since the first episode. Thank god the losing arc is over and now the "we are extremely op again" arc is here. And they did actually get Mark II outfits! HYPE

I like how Carol just sat and watched them scream in pain for a while twice because I don't expect anything less from the villains in this show. I assume this is going to be some kind of Lavos scenario where they beat the final boss halfway but now they have to stop the final final boss. Also Carol isn't dead because only red hair can die.

I don't necessarily agree.
With Carol putting all her memories into the homunculus, and then burning away her memories, she has literally nothing to do. She can't even remember why she's fighting.

The only way she comes back is if they're going for a super bullshit happy ending.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anime like GATE and Overlord are actually sort of revolting, purely on their concepts and the way the way they go about delivering them, and I'm not talking about the the usual tropes either.

Seeing the supposed protagonist take vantage of their superior standing to commit massacres does not instill any sort of excitement. It's not even instant gratification. It's all just ugly.

On a more positive note, I just learned that Japan decided that Anne of Green Gables would be rock before turning it into anime.
With Gate, at least, they seem to be invoking some kind of 9/11 parable by showing that they were attacked first on home soil (which is ironic given, well, what Japan did) and so everyone is ready to respond in this justified slaughter of a foreign force.

And it's interesting inasmuch as the show recognizes that the politicians are using this as an opportunity to tap into the limitless resources of this new world. It's very clearly invoking the Bush doctrine in Iraq. So it's strange to me that for a show that recognizes these things, if even in an infantile manner, doesn't really seem to care about the minutiae of being a soldier under these circumstances.

A quick search produced this post, where firehawk mentions his qualms about the show referencing an image from the Vietnam War in episode 4.
Yes, I found that equally problematic, but in a different sense.

It'd be like randomly throwing in the Twin Towers into your show because you wanted to invoke tragedy but without actually saying anything meaningful about said tragedy.

Heck, when Fringe used the Twin Towers as a season cliffhanger shocker, I thought it was kind of gross.

I don't necessarily agree.
With Carol putting all her memories into the homunculus, and then burning away her memories, she has literally nothing to do. She can't even remember why she's fighting.

The only way she comes back is if they're going for a super bullshit happy ending.

I don't think it makes much sense either but
I am so used to the backpedaling of death in these sorts of things that I just automatically assume they will come back

Watched this yesterday but might as well -

Humanity has Declined 04

Best episode yet. Y is the best character so far but Watashi and hers interactions are great. I really loved the part when they started devolving simplistic drawings.

sonicmj1

But that's a totally different thing.

Like, I can't speak to the Gate example, but when he asks this in his old post:

firehawk12 said:
By directly invoking Vietnam, am I supposed to treat this as another human cycle?
the answer is absolutely "Yes." In the flashbacks that open the first three episodes, the show has been priming us with scenes of man inflicting terrible violence against man. The inevitability of this violent conflict becomes a more and more explicit theme as the show goes forward. Whether or not it works for a viewer in that moment, there is a clear intent to it that understands the implications of that historical moment.

Gate may not fit that, so at worst it would just be a dumb, poorly considered reference, like Kogami reading Heart of Darkness in Psycho-Pass.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Are we still having a serious discussion about tastefulness in GATE

cajunator

Banned
Yeah really. SSY i could see a serious point, but Gate has an elf, a mage, and a war happy loli goth. I just cant take Gate seriously.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But that's a totally different thing.

Like, I can't speak to the Gate example, but when he asks this in his old post:

the answer is absolutely "Yes." In the flashbacks that open the first three episodes, the show has been priming us with scenes of man inflicting terrible violence against man. The inevitability of this violent conflict becomes a more and more explicit theme as the show goes forward. Whether or not it works for a viewer in that moment, there is a clear intent to it that understands the implications of that historical moment.

Gate may not fit that, so at worst it would just be a dumb, poorly considered reference, like Kogami reading Heart of Darkness in Psycho-Pass.
I really don't want to talk about SSY anymore since I haven't thought of the show since I dropped it after the info dump, but I do remember it just being odd that they decided to use a real world image without really exploring the context of that image. It was like that silly Fifth Element scene where the girl sees random images of "war" and starts to doubt humanity.

cajunator

Banned
I really don't want to talk about SSY anymore since I haven't thought of the show since I dropped it after the info dump, but I do remember it just being odd that they decided to use a real world image without really exploring the context of that image. It was like that silly Fifth Element scene where the girl sees random images of "war" and starts to doubt humanity.

Whaaaaaat the hell is this?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
but I do remember it just being odd that they decided to use a real world image without really exploring the context of that image.

But sonic's point is that they do. Not immediately, but the the show is about them discovering the dark, violent history of their world and how their society came about. You can't complain about infodump and then turn around and say they didn't dump enough info!!!!

Symphogear GX - 06

We're back baby! Ridiculous shit I love:

Power transforming into adult form
Upside down spinning
Villain not giving a fuck about finishing off helpless opponents
Drill blast into drill tornado into drilling inside tornado
2deep4me memories during power ups
glimpse of monster-ish creature during transformation
smug

yep, it was a pretty fun episode.

Ushio To Tora 6

In this episode, Tora has the most disgusting growths/tumors in place of his knees.

I'm loving the show, as always, but could they stop making excuses as to why the best friend/romantic interest never sees him in action? It's ridiculous that she conveniently isn't there or passes out when everybody else sees him do this shit. Get over the convenience and make it a plot line for character development. Jeesh.

Soma 18

Man, this was such a fun little arc, I hope that this isn't the last we're going to see of fake-Megumi, she's the best. I guess it just shows how well Shokugeki no Soma is able to create fun characters, I like everyone!

The new ED has completely swayed me, a worthy succesor to Spice.

Soma - 18 is about as expected, but here I'm coming up on a similar problem that I had with the episode I saw of that Shin Sekai anime in terms of using imagery without acknowledging any context....

xyfXmwsh.jpg

out of ten!

Angry Grimace

Soma 18

Man, this was such a fun little arc, I hope that this isn't the last we're going to see of fake-Megumi, she's the best. I guess it just shows how well Shokugeki no Soma is able to create fun characters, I like everyone!

The new ED has completely swayed me, a worthy succesor to Spice.

Spoiler: Kurase has appeared 0 times in the manga since that arc.

sonicmj1

I do remember it just being odd that they decided to use a real world image without really exploring the context of that image.
The whole point of using a real world image that's part of the common consciousness is that you don't have to waste time explaining it. The viewers will already know what it represents.

Classroom Crisis 6

Man Nagisa really did have it rough, sorta explains why he is the way he is, and why his brother hates him so much. He seems to slowly start getting along a little better with the A-TEC students too. That last bit at the end,
Iris seems to have a dream from her past before she lost her memories. She was talking to her grandfather as he died, saying how their family needed to protect Nagisa. The family's name is the same as Nagisa's mother... so Iris and Nagisa are probably related.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Latest episode of Monster Slock.

177.jpg

This all I could think about when I saw those Suu scenes. She could could a jojo character/stand. On second thought, she already is.

Shokugeki no Soma 18

There is nothing more satisfying then when Soma has caused his opponent to submit, fun little arc that ended up tying nicely into the next arc. I wonder how far they plan on taking this next arc because 6 episodes at their pacing isn't going to cover the whole election arc. They took 8 episodes for the training camp which was 21 chapters long and while they have already covered Soma's dad coming for a visit this arc is still has like 55ish chapters left to adapt into 6 episodes. I guess they'll end this season
at the end of the prelims before the main tournament

Sterok

Aikatsu 106

Lots of cameos for the Halloween episode. Shion still lives. Yurika is in her element. Sumire was surprisingly effective at all this, though seeing how she uses Loli Gothic it probably shouldn't be surprising. Aoi knowing people's favorite candy is ridiculous. Not sure whether Ran or Johnny had the better reward. Seaweed or Johnny cookies. The traps were clever. So there's the mysterious boy in the op.

Angry Grimace

Shokugeki no Soma 18

There is nothing more satisfying then when Soma has caused his opponent to submit, fun little arc that ended up tying nicely into the next arc. I wonder how far they plan on taking this next arc because 6 episodes at their pacing isn't going to cover the whole election arc. They took 8 episodes for the training camp which was 21 chapters long and while they have already covered Soma's dad coming for a visit this arc is still has like 55ish chapters left to adapt into 6 episodes. I guess they'll end this season
at the end of the prelims before the main tournament

There's no chance they even will try. They just spent 2 full episodes on 4 chapters of content (the Karaage Arc was only 4 chapters). At this pace, they will stop at the end of the preliminary rounds and leave the main tournament to another season. The prelim arc introduces a LOT of characters and has a ton of flashbacks to establish these characters's motivations, etc. so it can easily fill up to 8 episodes of content.

There's no chance they even will try. They just spent 2 full episodes on 4 chapters of content (the Karaage Arc was only 4 chapters). At this pace, they will stop at the end of the preliminary rounds and leave the main tournament to another season. The prelim arc introduces a LOT of characters and has a ton of flashbacks to establish these characters's motivations, etc. so it can easily fill up to 8 episodes of content.

If this is the case then for sure we will be getting a second season. I mean they can't just stop it there right?

Angry Grimace

If this is the case then for sure we will be getting a second season. I mean they can't just stop it there right?

I have no real insight as to what makes them want a second season of anything. It's not selling super great, but I have no idea what or how this matters. Shokugeki no Soma was like a pretty popular manga in Japan before the anime even came out, so who knows how its manga sales are going.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
AnimeGAF I need your help. Can any of you identify this clip?

It gets better and better every time I watch it.

Probably not the manga is very popular and they intend to pace themselves, they could be going twice as fast.

I mean if we got 2 episodes out of 4 chapters just now,and this is just a side arc that they could totally have skipped (maybe not because it introduced that new guy and even then, it could be done in one episode) then I have agree, they are taking it nice and slow, which I am not against. The show is phenomenal, just thinking it'll be over soon depresses me a bit.

Hoping for an announcement right at the end of the last episode or something. Some art at the end saying "See you in 2016!" with every character cooking lol.

I have no real insight as to what makes them want a second season of anything. It's not selling super great, but I have no idea what or how this matters. Shokugeki no Soma was like a pretty popular manga in Japan before the anime even came out, so who knows how its manga sales are going.
Everywhere I go folks say it's doing well and it's popular. I wouldn't know for sure though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom