• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
AnimeGAF I need your help. Can any of you identify this clip?

It gets better and better every time I watch it.

It's from the original Macross series, SDF Macross.

I mean if we got 2 episodes out of 4 chapters just now,and this is just a side arc that they could totally have skipped (maybe not because it introduced that new guy and even then, it could be done in one episode) then I have agree, they are taking it nice and slow, which I am not against. The show is phenomenal, just thinking it'll be over soon depresses me a bit.

Hoping for an announcement right at the end of the last episode or something. Some art at the end saying "See you in 2016!" with every character cooking lol.

Everywhere I go folks say it's doing well and it's popular. I wouldn't know for sure though.

Well the anime is not selling well but those volumes are apparently expensive and these adaptations are an ad for the manga so if the manga gets a big boost and there is more to adapt then it's easy assume.

Mandelbo

Aria the Animation ~END~

I've basically already said what I think of this show, but to sum it up again: while it's very relaxed and laid back there were never any moments where I was bored or wanted to stop watching. It managed to entertain me and keep my attention the whole way through. Also, it's nice to see a future where humanity isn't in turmoil. President Aria is the best, Maa is still unsettling, Man-Home is still a dumb name for Earth. Looking forward to whatever the next series brings!

Metropolis

It was great. I'm not typing up anything substantial now because I'm sleepy but know this: it was great and one of the best films I've seen in a while.

e: we live in a horrible world where Summer Wars has a higher MAL score than Metropolis. For shame!

Cornbread78

Prison School ep.5
Damn, Chiyo-San was ace here. Best buds support each other perfectly. Also looks like Hana is back and wants her piece as well. It should be interesting what exactly that is..

Is GATE a show so bad that you need to watch it just to experience it?

Not really, the show is either:

1) Technology Vs Medieval (which is, for the most part well excecuted and genuinely enjoyable).

2) Boring side-plots, characters (I.e Pina Colada, elf and mage) and uninteresting politics. (Which is boring since the show takes itself way too seriously in those moments)

Anyway, it doesn't really fit in the "so bad it's good category", it's more a bad show which delivers on the only thing it has going for it.

AnimeGAF I need your help. Can any of you identify this clip?

It gets better and better every time I watch it.

Watch the full fight, it's actually the best thing ever.

Max Vs Milia

One of the few worthwile things in Macross.

Well the anime is not selling well but those volumes are apparently expensive and these adaptations are an ad for the manga so if the manga gets a big boost and there is more to adapt then it's easy assume.

Hmm I see. Well we've seen worse things get second seasons. Let us have this nice thing for once lol.

Jackpot

Banned
Gate 06 is about as expected, but here I'm coming up on a similar problem that I had with the episode I saw of that Shin Sekai anime in terms of using imagery without acknowledging any context.

So this episode directly references Apocalypse Now, not only with Ride of the Valkyries, but with this as well:

eg15VbKl.png

BLKL4SPl.png

And here is the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rAFMC2O9dQ

Which is fine and dandy, but it misses the entire point of the god damned movie or Vietnam as a whole.

And fine, I can understand why someone Japanese doesn't understand what Vietnam meant for America or why it is important. If Americans are allowed to be ignorant about the rest of the world, then the rest of the world gets to be ignorant of American history.

But it's like the guy who wrote this didn't watch the movie it references, only the "cool bits" on Youtube. So in case you've never seen the movie before, this is a scene that happens right after the helicopters slaughter the VC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vbw0_YaUrNo

In case it's not clear, a chopper lands on the ground and tries to evacuate some civilians. It turns out that the civilians are also VC and one of them, a girl, throws a grenade into the chopper killing everyone on board. Those are American bodies on fire in that clip. Of course, then Kilgore calls them "fucking savages", reminding you that like almost all American military misadventures, dehumanizing the enemy is the only way that the American psyche can cope with the slaughter of all these people.

This isn't something that you pull out of your ass. It's in the film that they are referencing, so it is a bit distasteful to take a film that wants to look at the tragedy of war in order to turn it into a bland action scene.

And it would be something if the Japanese soldiers were ever in peril. Or if they called these fantasy humans "gooks" in order to show how they are very much like the Americans that are being referenced explicitly through the imagery. But this show doesn't aim for any of that, so my only answer would be, don't use one of the most iconic anti-war films as a reference for your goddamned action scene.

Hell, I'm not even against blind patriotism and warmongering in culture. I'm fine, at least broadly speaking, with Stargate SG-1 or The Last Ship or Independence Day or even Michael Bay films. But at least they have the sense to know exactly what they are, and they're not invoking Viet-fucking-nam for their war imagery.

It's the same as in Jarhead when the soldiers watch the exact same scene because it's cool. Or like how people love Starship Trooper's action scenes despite the context being an invasion by human fascists and the whole film being anti-war. The scene and its use fit fine.

cajunator

Banned

1) Technology Vs Medieval (which is, for the most part well excecuted and genuinely enjoyable).

2) Boring side-plots, characters (I.e Pina Colada, elf and mage) and uninteresting politics. (Which is boring since the show takes itself way too seriously in those moments)

Anyway, it doesn't really fit in the "so bad it's good category", it's more a bad show which delivers on the only thing it has going for it.

Gate isnt that bad. Kinda silly obviously, but really tongue in cheek.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's from the original Macross series, SDF Macross.

I don't know that I'm convinced BD sales are the entire story when it comes to sequels. A lot of trashy shit that didn't sell all that great has gotten (multiple) sequels. There's a fucking LOT of anime being produced, most of which I doubt sells super well.

Cornbread78

Gate ep.6
Damn, what a bloodbath as expected. Roy in erotica beast mode with shorty Kubiyashi in beast mode. I still love the feeling and tone of the series so far. It helps that it's still a ton of fun to watch also.

I'm just going to hope/pray that Shokugeki No Soma gets a second season the same way I hope/pray Jojo's anime will continue on to adapt the other parts.

Ushio & Tora 6

This show also continues to kick all kinds of ass, obviously the most interesting scene was the post credits scene
Ushio's mom being alive and potentially an antagonist could be very interesting

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aria the Animation ~END~

I've basically already said what I think of this show, but to sum it up again: while it's very relaxed and laid back there were never any moments where I was bored or wanted to stop watching. It managed to entertain me and keep my attention the whole way through. Also, it's nice to see a future where humanity isn't in turmoil. President Aria is the best, Maa is still unsettling, Man-Home is still a dumb name for Earth. Looking forward to whatever the next series brings!
It's a utopia where something must have happened on Earth to cause humanity to decide to move Venice to Mars. But it's never really addressed. If MrJeff was still around, he's link that doujin manga where someone created a backstory of Earth being a hellhole that Akari was desperately trying to escape from.

Metropolis

It was great. I'm not typing up anything substantial now because I'm sleepy but know this: it was great and one of the best films I've seen in a while.

e: we live in a horrible world where Summer Wars has a higher MAL score than Metropolis. For shame!
Those random scene transitions though. lol

I mean, it's not SAO.

It's the same as in Jarhead when the soldiers watch the exact same scene because it's cool. Or like how people love Starship Trooper's action scenes despite the context being an invasion by human fascists and the whole film being anti-war. The scene and its use fit fine.
I haven't seen Jarhead, but if this review is any indication:
Jarhead isn't overtly political, yet by evoking the almost surreal futility of men whose lust for victory through action is dashed, at every turn, by the tactics, terrain, and morality of the war they're in, it sets up a powerfully resonant echo of the one we're in today.
Then at least it's trying to say something.

As for Verhoeven... come on!

Szadek

Revolutionary Girl Utena
That's was pretty damn awesome.
The characters and music is fantastic, the story is also really good,but very confussing.
I understood quite a bit,but I'm pretty sure I'm missing a lot,too.
This seems to be the kind of show you are supposed to watch more than once,but it's 39 episodes long and even when you watch the anime for the first time it can be really draning at times.

Still, the last few episodes are so good that it's worth watching the not so interesting parts.
It's also worth mentioning that you shouldn't skip the recap episodes,because they always have a few important new scenes.

A few days ago I also watched The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.
I was never the biggest fan of the Haruhi fan,but I still think that this movie is amazing.
On of the first thing I noticed is the cinematographic. The way the movie is shot really enhances the atmosphere.
There isn't too much to say about the characters,because they are pretty much the same as in the orginal show, with the excepting of a few interesting developments.
The story ties pretty good and ties in nicely with the rest of the series.

Cornbread78

Classroom*Crisis ep.6
Another good episode with a lot of character development and backstory for Nagisa. Looks like the class is on track trying to make it work with no budget. Next week looks like we're finally cracking some of Iris's amnesia, and eait,
she is a relative of Nagisa? Sister perhaps on the other founders side of the family and potential heir for ownership of the company. .. if so, damn.

Oh man, those facial expressions are so damn good.

That was really something.

It actually led to a healthy relationship

um what. you'd pick a bad scene from a terrible looking ep over some of the best animated action of 80s tv anime?

It's pretty outdated for anyone who would watch it right now, it has it moments like Deadalus punches and such but I wouldn't say that the entertainment value came from the action, at least not for me. I enjoyed the wacky stuff and this scene is the king of that.

The love triangle was also fun btw.

Classroom*Crisis ep.6
Another good episode with a lot of character development and backstory for Nagisa. Looks like the class is on track trying to make it work with no budget. Next week looks like we're finally cracking some of Iris's amnesia, and eait,
she is a relative of Nagisa? Sister perhaps on the other found r s side of the family and potential air for ownership of the company. .. if so, damn.
Good point. Adding another head to the equation.

Linkark07

Banned
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz! Episode 3

Well, I guess at some point, after everything she has watched, Mimi had to break and become a Fujoshi. Nothing can save her from the hard path she chose.

Future Card Buddyfight:100 (hundred) Episode 18 (engDub)
CL2GRu8WcAAdkAW.png
CL2HL_dWUAAP21H.png

Mekuro Shigamine is too cool for a Hero World card. Usually all the hero world ones have been those combining machines and not really humans but he is great. Though easily fooled.

Feels like A Dawg will end up dying or something, everything seems so dark behind the scenes now.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Prison School 5
One man reason to live and endure humiliation. Boobs. Next episode is going to be...GREAT!
Censorship all over the place. Sometime they censor ass, sometime tits. I think the guy who censor it got lost in lewd wonderland.

R.D.Blax

I don't necessarily agree.
With Carol putting all her memories into the homunculus, and then burning away her memories, she has literally nothing to do. She can't even remember why she's fighting.

The only way she comes back is if they're going for a super bullshit happy ending.

Remember who else has the conveniently the memory of Carol stored inside her ? And in a series where bodysurfing because of genetics is a thing...

kewlmyc

Is GATE a show so bad that you need to watch it just to experience it?

Where did anyone in this thread say that the show is bad? It's been pretty good so far. It's just one person if offended by the use of "Ride of the Valkyries" during a chopper scene.

Grexeno

Where did anyone in this thread say that the show is bad? It's been pretty good so far. It's just one person if offended by the use of "Ride of the Valkyries" during a chopper scene.
GATE is a show where the glorious Nippon military easily defeats a medieval army while also running around with catgirls.

There is no way that show is actually good.

fertygo

Err.. why?

I enjoyed the show btw but thought today episode was lackluster, so many scene in the battle that so janky.

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 64
CL2P8tIWUAA_q4i.png

I dont know what was more impressive, Yuuya-oniichan having the perfect draw and using his whole hand to bring out his key monsters in only turn one, or Jack Atlus being perfect at Action duel and using such a cheap synchro at that time. Way too short.

Shokugeki no Soma - 18

I'm glad that this arc is over. Not that it was a bad arc, but I'm just happy that a tournament arc is apparently starting now.

I've heard good things about it from the manga readers of this show, so I hope it delivers!

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz! Episode 3

Well, I guess at some point, after everything she has watched, Mimi had to break and become a Fujoshi. Nothing can save her from the hard path she chose.

Her friends pushed her in that direction and honnestly , she's better for it !

kewlmyc

GATE is a show where the glorious Nippon military easily defeats a medieval army while also running around with catgirls.

There is no way that show is actually good.

Different strokes for different blokes I suppose. I think the whole "modern military goes to war with medieval army and the ramifications of that from both sides" is interesting and something I haven't seen in an anime. I haven't seen any catgirls, but the female cast introduced so far are your standard fantasy characters with the exception of the chick with the huge axe. While the fantasy side of things tends to be cliche, the military side of things isn't.

Err.. why?

I enjoyed the show btw but thought today episode was lackluster, so many scene in the battle that so janky.

It was referencing Apocalypse Now but not appreciating what said scene in Apocalypse Now meant. A reference for the sake of a reference.

Okusama ga setokaichou! - 06

Very good episode.
Especially the end with the 2 main characters.

I'm not even sure why the mother is so small , you could have told the SAME STORY with a normal sized character.

Cinderella Girls 17

What a great episode. Taking a look at this and seeing how they developed three characters at once, and then thinking back to how botched a lot of the character development episodes in the original anime were, is just a bit saddening.

MSMrRound

Symphogear GX Episode 6

yes...YES YES YES YES YES
Most "Symphogear" episode since episode 1. That call out to GX's logo..well, there it is.

Didn't expect Carol her own
battle mode form
so that part was pretty hype.

New Symphogear MK models! Yesssss.

Felt couple past episodes were plodding along, but yes, I have no complaints or whatsoever about this episode. Delivered what I wanted (and expected) and more. 11/10.

Andrew J.

It matters though, because you don't get to take scenes from films and discard the message of the film itself. If we accept that as standard operating procedure, then culture really is dead and all we are left with are just memes.

Uh huh.

How come you've never complained about Jex telling people to watch action scenes on sakugabooru and skip the rest of the show?

Ushio & Tora - 06

Beast spear + lightning ? Yeah that's the kind of finisher i was looking for.

Quite good episode , even if there are some inconsistencies , but i'll not ponder much on them ... its a 90's shonen after all.

Tora motivations make sense , i wonder how long he'll be tsundere for ushio.

Dat cliffanger .. this show's so good right now.. can't wait for the next ep.

Gate - 06

Another great ep, too bad they toned down the violence a bit. Was hoping they would animate Rory decapitating all those brigades trying to stab her with the spears in one aerial spin but besides that, everything else seems to be following up the manga quite nicely. Loved the apocalypse now parodies, and that female soldier going Leroy Jenkins into the crowd to get her melee kills haha

DBZ Resurrection of F Grosses 4 million in Three Days

May not sound impressive but -

American distributor Funimation, in partnership with Fathom Events (which is owned by theater chains AMC, Cinemark and Regal), rolled out the film on Tuesday for a one-week theatrical run, and the film has grossed over $4 million in its first three days. Amazingly, this was achieved with just one showtime per day at a relatively modest 900 theaters.

Dragon Ball ranked in fifth place at the American box office on Tuesday and Wednesday. According to industry reports, that’s the first time an event-style release has cracked the top 10 and its per-screen average is the best among all movies currently in theaters.

Ushio and Tora - 6

Finally, it looks like the show's going to be starting its first major story arc soon.

This show is just such a blast to watch every week. It's that kind of good shounen fun one can just sit down and enjoy. Good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom