• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Yami Shibai 1-13
XaLD38Gl.png
wyNlSw3l.png

VUPZfMVl.png
MI96tbZl.png

Probably the creepiest thing I've seen this side of The Curse of Kazuo Umezu, it's that rarest of gems: great horror anime. Eps are only five minutes so it's easy to blow through. Visuals can feel a little rudimentary at times as it's meant to emulate the kamishibai form of storytelling but good lord, that audio direction is on point and creates a brilliantly oppressive atmosphere each episode.

Stardust Crusade episode 35
Holy shit, after this episode, that thread about jotaro being the weakest jojo in terms of likeability is a lie now.

I mean Jotaro is a likeable character but compared to Joseph he's pretty weak. Plus there are some other Jojos that are more likeable than Jotaro however he isn't the most weakest.

Humanity has Declined 6

Definitely better then the last episode. It had more going on plot and humor-wise and there's the discovery that the arcs are not in chronological order and why Watashi had to cut her hair in the first place. Regardless, this arc is the weakest so far in my opinion.

Macross Frontier - 25

Episode was hype as fuck. Ending was meh but not as bad as I was expecting. They could have
resolved the love triangle
at least.

Also, something about end of 24/beginning of 25:
The irony of Ranka singing that song AGAINST humanity. That was a nice touch.

Over all, I'd say it's my 3rd favorite Macross series (after the original/DYRL and Plus).

Now to start the movies tomorrow and see what they changed.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Overlord 6

PAGING DTL!!
I figure it helps to ask a trained expert in matters such as this. Was there a hint of BL introduced into the story nearing the end of this episode?

EDIT: I paused the show to make the episode above. It seems the character in question decided not to grow a pair and used Deflect and is now on the down-low :(

Non Non Biyori 09

One of the weaker episodes. Not big on cringe humour. (RIP Komari) However the end gag has to be one of the best in the series. It's rare I see a multi-episode setup for one joke. Ever notice Natsumi is the only one who acknowledges her brother's presence or interacts with him on any meaningful level? While these interactions are not necessary to make the joke funny, it does make it more potent.

ibyea

Banned
Sound Euphonium: 11-13 End
Well, I have put this off for long enough. Forgot to finish it!

First of all, man I forgot how gorgeous this show looks and how detailed the music stuff was.

So these episodes takes it from the repeat audition to the competition.
I am reminded once again how annoying Yuko is, and how stupid the democracy thing is. That said there are two great moments in episode 11. One is Kumiko's conversation with Reina, who basically tells her she would back her up. The second is the audition itself, with that subdued nervous quiet. Reina naturally gets the part.

Episode 12 is definitely my favorite episode. This is the episode Reina's influence on Kumiko becomes clear. For the first time she actually wants to succeed, and her inability to play her part correctly finally gets her to feel the same pain that Reina was feeling back then when she failed to get to the nationals. Great way to bring her character arc to a close.

Final episode is pretty much the fruit of their labor. They go the nationals, hooray!
Ending, while it was a good stopping place, was unsatisfactory. Show is good, second season would be great!

DEATH™

Non Non Biyori 09

One of the weaker episodes. Not big on cringe humour. (RIP Komari) However the end gag has to be one of the best in the series. It's rare I see a multi-episode setup for one joke. Ever notice Natsumi is the only one who acknowledges her brother's presence or interacts with him on any meaningful level? While these interactions are not necessary to make the joke funny, it does make it more potent.

You about to watch Episode 10? You are about to watch IMO one of the highlight episodes of Non Non Biyori Season 1.

DEATH™;175115985 said:
You about to watch Episode 10? You are about to watch IMO one of the highlight episodes of Non Non Biyori Season 1.

Yes! Episode 10 is top tier, it's super sweet and I love some of the subtle moments in it.

Conan-san

Mon Monsu 6
One suspects the obvious answer to this problem is to tell the dood with the camera to go fuck himself and slam the door in his face.

Of course that'd require a MC with a pair of balls and we're sadly lacking that here.

Mon Monsu 6
One suspects the obvious answer to this problem is to tell the dood with the camera to go fuck himself and slam the door in his face.

Of course that'd require a MC with a pair of balls and we're sadly lacking that here.

We watched to same show right?

My theory is that he let all of this happen on purpose only so he could look good in front of his harem when he destroyed that guy.

Conan-san

We watched to same show right?

My theory is that he let all of this happen on purpose only so he could look good in front of his harem when he destroyed that guy.
The dood knows Falcon Punch. Doesn't give him the title of Captain Falcon.

And that theory doesn't make him a badass, it makes him a scumbag.

ibyea

Banned
School Live: 1
Oh just some boring crap, will drop show... Wait a minute, what the?
AAAAHHHHHHHHH
AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

Edit: Holy shit, I just read to notice the
black board where there is white writing and then when she moves out of the way there is the pink writing, and the grave in the garden which how the heck did I not notice
and AAAAHHHHH.

It kinda does though... I mean, if you can Falcon Punch you're either Captain Falcon or Kirby, both are upstanding guys.

Darling definitely fits in that list of nice dudes, here are some of his defining charateristics:

- Best cook in the world (Soma get out)
- Always defends his girls
- Never loses his cool
- Positive attidute
- Iron will

Like, everyone here says that they're watching this show because there are monster girls who make out with each other but deep down all of us know that Kimhito Kurusu darling is the reason why we tune in every week.

U prolly don't like him cause ur jelous that he get's to touch spider and slime girls while you don't.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Stardust Crusade 40
Holy shit, anything with the D'arby brothers is top notch shit, excellent F-̶z̶e̶r̶o̶ F-mega play!

"Serect your cur"

And that theory doesn't make him a badass, it makes him a scumbag.

That was one of the few times that made me really dislike Darling in the manga. He should of kicked his ass out of the house during the Mero or Centorea interview, when it was obvious that this guy wasn't nothing but trouble.

Jintor

I'm at this sick robot restaurant in kabukicho and I've never felt more like a tourist. I guess it makes up for napping in the park for like four hours

phaze

Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei Bangaichi 01-02 FIN/END
Leave it to SZS to introduce a new character in the prepenultimate episode. Also, HAMASHO finally, kinda came back. ;_;

This was pretty golden. Taking a piss out of Clannad, Love-Ru, Tomihiko Morimi, Chinese Olympics, zombie apocalypse, 1st May parades and of course of its own cancellation. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, you were truly one of a kind.

I got the ending I wanted. The manga ending now can only disappoint.

cajunator

Banned
I dont know why really, but as cute as MonMusu is, I do get tired of the constant ecchi situations in anime like this. Its one thing to have occasional sexual silliness if its well timed, but in shows like this it is always going on. I know thats kind of the point but its just a little over the top for me. Its not just MonMusu either. A lot of shows act like being in proximity with any girl is just the most awkward sexually charged thing ever.

Mailbox

I swear, episode by episode i feel differently about this anime.

The first episode was really out there in its style in that is basically all done in a game-show thing which i expected to be just the intro to the episode, but no. It was the whole thing. And it wasn't a bad episode. Weird, but not bad.

The second episode is some of the worst anime i've ever seen. chromatic aberration for days (really hurt my eyes seeing it). also the world building, explanations and, well everything in this episode was just plain bad. (seriously the fuck is up with the transforming demi-humans? are they vampires? are they not? what the fuck?)

The third episode was definitely better, slightly more focused, but not great.

4 got progressively better and way more focused on what the show is trying to convey.

episode 5 was pretty damn good. felt like they finally nailed the style here where they were stumbling badly before.

I'm still kinda shocked that this was made in 2010, is not in full hd (beyond 720p), had character designs that remind me wayyyyy too much of mars of destruction (looking at you Akira(the main male character of this series)) and huge style faltering even though it was made after bakemonogatari. Or should i say that I'm shocked that this is all true, and yet I still don't find this bad (exceptions being made to the 2nd episode).

heres to hoping that the next 7 episodes keep getting better.

ibyea

Banned
School Live: 2-5
Now that the cards have been revealed and the shock has worn off,
it's a pretty all right zombie survival story. Can't say I have seen the delusional, mentally broken victim being kept ignorant for her happiness variant of the story though. Show has some effective chilling moments, so they are doing a good use of the premise. Character wise, I don't think it's interesting, although Megune with the 3rd episode has been the best constructed one. Too bad it's hinted that at some point she died and is now definitely a figment of Yuki's imagination. D:

Razmos

Zan Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei Bangaichi 01-02 FIN/END

Leave it to SZS to introduce a new character in the prepenultimate episode. Also, HAMASHO finally, kinda came back. ;_;

This was pretty golden. Taking a piss out of Clannad, Love-Ru, Tomihiko Morimi, Chinese Olympics, zombie apocalypse, 1st May parades and of course of its own cancellation. Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei, you were truly one of a kind.

I got the ending I wanted. The manga ending now can only disappoint.
Oh dude, you have no idea what the manga ending has in store for you.
You are not prepared.

Nana - 05

Well, that was among the best jobs of setting up realistic and likeable characters. I like this non-linear structure used for this. The first episode introduces Nana and Nana on their train to Tokyo and provides a first rough look on who they seem to be. Then the next couple episodes deal with everything important leading up to this, heavily fleshing out these two as well as supporting characters.

It's also immediately apparent that this is a maturely written story with how it deals with sexuality.

It's kind of interesting how the story so far could've easily been drawn out and filled one or two 12 episode anime romances. Instead, this is just the beginning here and it couldn't make me happier!

Cornbread78

Spice and Wolf ep. 7-13 S1-END
I knew very little about this one going in, other than I heard it was pretty good. I had no idea how much adventure was actually built into it though. Holo and Lawrence just can't catch a break anywhere! The back and forth interactions with the two have been very cute and you can definately sense the relationship building between the two, while at the same time a good ribbing between the two is normal banter. This show is awesome...

EDIT:
Well, I just finished the final episode of S1 and it ended on a positive note for once. With all the banter back and forth, did he really only make 100 silver immediately from that transaction? Oh well, let's see where season 2 goes...

Conan-san

It kinda does though... I mean, if you can Falcon Punch you're either Captain Falcon or Kirby, both are upstanding guys.

Darling definitely fits in that list of nice dudes, here are some of his defining charateristics:

- Best cook in the world (Soma get out)
- Always defends his girls
- Never loses his cool
- Positive attidute
- Iron will

Like, everyone here says that they're watching this show because there are monster girls who make out with each other but deep down all of us know that Kimhito Kurusu darling is the reason why we tune in every week.

U prolly don't like him cause ur jelous that he get's to touch spider and slime girls while you don't.
I'm more a genie person so yeah, way off the mark there.

But that's not the point, dood should have punted the dood out at the first sign of trouble.

Also, "Defining" is a bit of a stretch. Kirito is more of a character than this guy is.

Akagami no Shirayukihime - 05
Akagami%20no%20Shirayukihime%20-%2005.jpg

this relationship is golden
Very good episode. the relationship between shirayuki and zen is progressing in the right direction.

Zen looked cool , shirayuki looked determined... everything was fine.

I'm more a genie person so yeah, way off the mark there.

But that's not the point, dood should have punted the dood out at the first sign of trouble.

Also, "Defining" is a bit of a stretch. Kirito is more of a character than this guy is.

Darling~ in all his glory, sees the best in humans and tends to give people a second chance, after all, he really wanted to bring monsters and humans closer together, what a glorious human being.

The reason why nobody is actually using his name is because we, puny organisms as we are aren't worthy of using his actual name.

Unbelievers like you will be punished accordingly, just wait....

jbug617

Banned
You're kidding me right?
DVDs only? A show with its art style only getting a sub-HD dvd release here is some serious bullshit.

(I only say this since I just re watched the series in HD after getting a crunchy sub and I love the art)

It will come out on Bluray later on.

Akagami no Shirayukihime - 06

Can i slap zen older brother ? can i ?

I REALLLY want to.

f**k this drama, shirayuki is much better when she is determined, not when she is scared/hesitant , especially because of some bullsh*t bishonenen older prince that think he knows it all.

phaze

Oh dude, you have no idea what the manga ending has in store for you.
You are not prepared.

I do hope so. ;)

Angel's Egg

I did quite like what I saw. And there was even more dialogue than I expected. There is this small problem though, I've no clue what I just saw.
04qzmxlvjy0j.gif
Demian's quote about the egg and the world is about the only thing this movie's symbolism reminds me of. Gonna search for some peasant friendly interpretation ...

Spice and Wolf ep. 7-13 S1-END
I knew very little about this one going in, other than I heard it was pretty good. I had no idea how much adventure was actually built into it though. Holo and Lawrence just can't catch a break anywhere! The back and forth interactions with the two have been very cute and you can definately sense the relationship building between the two, while at the same time a good ribbing between the two is normal banter. This show is awesome...

EDIT:
Well, I just finished the final episode of S1 and it ended on a positive note for once. With all the banter back and forth, did he really only make 100 silver immediately from that transaction? Oh well, let's see where season 2 goes...

Spice and Wolf is really, really awesome. Too bad we'll never get a third season of the show. One of the many shows on my list that will forever torment me with cliffhanger endings...

Edit: "Cliffhanger" is a strong word. But all the same.

Shimoneta 1-2

It certainly delivered from what I watched. Very lewd, no question (which I have no complaints about) but it's also quite witty and surprisingly compelling in its "Orwellian" setting.

I kinda want to watch it, but there's something I'd first like to know about it...

How gory is it?

Almost none compared to your usual zombie movie, Camera cuts away most of the time for dramatic effect I guess, don't expect zombies being cleaved. Even a good view of a zombie is rare.

Anyhow, I'd say that the show justifies the lack of gore well enough, it's not about killing zombies after all.
Still give it a try though.

Defuser

Had no idea it was profitable enough to get a second season. I guess manga sales got boosted by the anime or there were a lot of merchandise sales.

No, It pulled a Kaiji S2 aka a live action movie. Therefore a season 2 is announced to create promote the upcoming 2016 live action movie.

Cornbread78

Shimoneta 1-2

It certainly delivered from what I watched. Very lewd, no question (which I have no complaints about) but it's also quite witty and surprisingly compelling in its "Orwellian" setting.

LOL, you haven't seen anything yet, lol.

It gets crazier in an anazing way very soon..

TimmiT

Almost none compared to your usual zombie movie, Camera cuts away most of the time for dramatic effect I guess, don't expect zombies being cleaved. Even a good view of a zombie is rare.

Anyhow, I'd say that the show justifies the lack of gore well enough, it's not about killing zombies after all.
Still give it a try though.

I actually don't like it when there's too much gore, so that's good to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom