• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

if anyone feels like updating the jexhius quote in the second post let me know

Just for the information of anyone looking to curate good, useful NeoGAF related anime content:

- I am personally not planning to be contributing anymore content of this sort due to a lack of time. However, it's not terribly difficult to pull together that kind of information on e.g. past recommendation threads. It's just a question of having the time, and the inclination, to go through pages of NeoGAF search results and check out what's useful.

TUSR

Banned
Just for the information of anyone looking to curate good, useful NeoGAF related anime content:

- I am personally not planning to be contributing anymore content of this sort due to a lack of time. However, it's not terribly difficult to pull together that kind of information on e.g. past recommendation threads. It's just a question of having the time, and the inclination, to go through pages of NeoGAF search results and check out what's useful.

Some of the links in your original post didn't even work, so I went through and corrected a bunch.

Im not even sure if people check the second post and if curating a collection of OT threads would even be worth the effort.

Arcadius

Banned
Some of the links in your original post didn't even work, so I went through and corrected a bunch.

Im not even sure if people check the second post and if curating a collection of OT threads would even be worth the effort.

The second post is incredibly helpful and I've gone through it several times to find new things to watch, I really and I mean it, I really appreciate the effort gone through to find those links and lists.

javac

Yeah I've not seen Samurai Flamenco myself but that release actually look really nice and makes me optimistic for future Anime Limited releases. The Graphics design on the packaging looks better than their past attempts with the spine actually being incorporated into the design.

If you're interested, its available cheaper at Zavvi (£28.99)
Also while I'm on the subject...
Mobile Suit Gundam - Part 1 Blu-ray also available at Zavvi for £37.99
Mobile Suit Gundam - Part 2 Blu-ray also available at Zavvi for £38.99
Ping Pong - Collector's Edition Blu-ray also available at Zavvi for £28.99
Full Metal Panic - Ultimate Edition - Seasons 1-3 Blu-ray also available at Zavvi for £99.99

"Attack on Titan: Junior High" Anime Character Designs Previewed

Eren Yeager - driven by this dream of expelling the Titan from the world, he's given to breaking school rules. His favorite food is cheeseburgers.

CMHqsw1UsAAzgWN.jpg:large

Mikasa Ackerman - Eren's childhood friend, who's only interested in him. Her amazing physical abilities are reduced down to 30% and she oozes a spirit of melancholy when he's not with her.

Armin Arlert - intelligent, but weakened by a susceptibility to cold. Wears around bedding to avoid getting sick.

7ea6507fa2e4868a3301f93ae1b1a3de1438340705_full.png

My hope is that the OP is just the first OP in this style, that would be amazing. That description of Mikasa is sadly too accurate RIP

Humanity has Declined 4

A pretty good episode overall. Y's shenanigans in writing nonsencsial plot twists and cliffhangers are the highlight here but Watashi's deadpan snark deserves a special mention as well. She's great as the straight woman.

JulianImp

When Girlfriend Beta was airing I thought it would be interesting if it ran with a system that allowed the audience to ring in and vote on their favourite character, and based on the results the show would change course. As the show went on there would be more things to vote on, such as whether or not the protagonist agrees with his girlfriend or not, whether he should text her to see how she's doing or leave her alone, if he confronts her about his suspicions of her cheating, and so forth. Basically like a televised visual novel. I mean sure, it would cost a huge amount and kill the studios making it as well as a number of the staff working on it, but hey, it's a cool idea at least.

That'd be an awful money sink for too little a return, IMO. The biggest issue is the fact that the production team would only get to know what the audience wants a short while after each episode finishes airing. After they get the results, I see two possible things they could do with follow-up content:
  • Have the script from the start, but only start production on an episode after the previous one finishes airing and they know where the audience wants the story to go, which means they'll have to crunch like mad to get there in time for delivery
  • Plan things in advance and have the production staff preemptively work on some things such as the storyboards or maybe even key animation for possible upcoming episodes, but expect to routinely throw most of that work away since only one of the possible outcomes will end up being chosen
...Now that I think about it, it sounds like School Days. I wonder how long it took the game's production team to make everything there, even though it's obvious that poses and animations were being recycled all over the place, so I don't think it'd quite cut it as a real anime. Releasing it as such would probably require bigger production values and development time to make it more bearable to watch.

phaze

Huh, lying? No, I was trying to be helpful since others put work into the OP links. Attempting to do my own part to help as well, but bad idea I guess, so I will leave it alone as is.

My unparalleled, inner sarcasm detector tells me Duckroll wasn't serious about the lying bit. Don't worry about it.

Mushishi Zoku Shou 02

That last scene. So good. Sort of a break from usual as Mushi wasn't really a source of a problem, if anything, it was a part of solution. The conflict between the two villagers felt believable and grounded and so was the ultimate solution. Haven't really grown tired of the previous OST but the new one adds a breath of fresh air to Zoku's episodes.

Mandelbo

That'd be an awful money sink for too little a return, IMO. The biggest issue is the fact that the production team would only get to know what the audience wants a short while after each episode finishes airing. After they get the results, I see two possible things they could do with follow-up content:
  • Have the script from the start, but only start production on an episode after the previous one finishes airing and they know where the audience wants the story to go, which means they'll have to crunch like mad to get there in time for delivery
  • Plan things in advance and have the production staff preemptively work on some things such as the storyboards or maybe even key animation for possible upcoming episodes, but expect to routinely throw most of that work away since only one of the possible outcomes will end up being chosen
...Now that I think about it, it sounds like School Days. I wonder how long it took the game's production team to make everything there, even though it's obvious that poses and animations were being recycled all over the place, so I don't think it'd quite cut it as a real anime. Releasing it as such would probably require bigger production values and development time to make it more bearable to watch.

Yup, it'd be a huge investment to make and it'd definitely never happen, but it would certainly be interesting! There could be a few ways of easing the cost of the endeavour - they could make each episode three minutes long and animate it like Teekyuu, or they could air each episode monthly to give them enough time to do a longer episode. Another thing they could do is make the choices more or less inconsequential beyond the initial "choose your favourite character" vote, like having a vote to decide what colour the outfit of the chosen girlfriend is next episode. The episode would essentially already be completed since the only thing the vote would effect is the colour of the girlfriend's clothes; but that would sort of defeat the point.

Arcadius

Banned
My unparalleled, inner sarcasm detector tells me Duckroll wasn't serious about the lying bit. Don't worry about it.

Mushishi Zoku Shou 02

That last scene. So good. Sort of a break from usual as Mushi wasn't really a source of a problem, if anything, it was a part of solution. The conflict between the two villagers felt believable and grounded and so was the ultimate solution. Haven't really grown tired of the previous OST but the new one adds a breath of fresh air to Zoku's episodes.

The bolded is what I think makes Mushishi such a must watch for everyone. It's one of the rare few that within the world we're told about, so much of it feels real, so believable and very much grounded. Same with the solutions, Ginko is incredibly intelligent and the solutions, though they may seem to appear from thin air, tend to make so much sense. One of my all time favorite series, by far.

Jex

I don't know know who fully reads the OP's for these seasonal threads. I do know, however, that there are always people new to anime who come into these threads looking for advice. There's also plenty of people in Off-Topic also looking for the same kind of advice. Therefore, it seemed logical to collate useful information into one easy to use post. Even if people don't read it in the OP they can link to it, or copy it into, those endless "Recommend me a show" threads in Off-Topic.

I suppose what it boils down to is what purpose does this thread serve?

If these threads exist solely to feature nothing but relatively disposable impressions of currently airing anime then perhaps there's not much point in trying to pitch the threads as a 'Reference Centre' for anime fans because that requires some work.

Alternatively, the NeoGAF anime community might want to look at preserving it's heritage, whether that's specific threads, or insightful posts, or whatever, in a manner that's clear and visible to newcomers. This would ensure that there's actually content in the thread that's relatively timeless.

I don't know what people want to do with, or what they are looking to get out of, the thread. I certainly don't share the same tastes, or have interesting in writing the same kind of content, as say cajunator or Cornbread79 or whoever. Which is perfectly fine. It's up to those seriously committed, very prolific commentators to set the tone and message for these threads as they see fit.

As stump showed with his stats, it seems like this community is relatively healthy, in that it features reliable older members as well as plenty of newer commenter's. As long as people with a diversity of tastes and opinions, who are able to help others, continue to post here then this thread will still have a purpose for some time to come.

JulianImp

Yup, it'd be a huge investment to make and it'd definitely never happen, but it would certainly be interesting! There could be a few ways of easing the cost of the endeavour - they could make each episode three minutes long and animate it like Teekyuu, or they could air each episode monthly to give them enough time to do a longer episode. Another thing they could do is make the choices more or less inconsequential beyond the initial "choose your favourite character" vote, like having a vote to decide what colour the outfit of the chosen girlfriend is next episode. The episode would essentially already be completed since the only thing the vote would effect is the colour of the girlfriend's clothes; but that would sort of defeat the point.

I just had to reply since the concept of a cool project that has a ridiculously large scope rings true with me as a game designer. Way too many times have I tried too make something that seemed cool on paper but ended up requiring ridiculous amount of time and/or money to do well enough.

Giving meaningless choices would indeed hurt the series' gimmick, and another thing I just realized is that having a plot that can change enough means that, depending on what can happen through the story, the IP owners might even be unable to release promotional merchandise in time! If they market Girl A but then the audience goes with Girl B, what are they going to do with all the Girl A Nendroids that are almost ready to ship? What if the main character chose to kill/sacrifice Sidekick C, and there were lots of posters already commisioned with the MC and C-kun being BFF? It'd be a logistic disaster for both the IP holders and whoever made deals with them to release merchandise on the series, and from what I've heard merchandise is actually a very important source of revenue on most mainstream anime.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
whoever makes the Fall OT can do it

i have no interest in this

im closing out summer and taking a break from making threads
I'm almost tempted to put my name forward just to do at least one animeGAF OP but since I haven't even looked at what's coming up next season I'm not going to say anything concrete.

No worries, I get it, nobody wants it or feels it's needed. I was just trying to help by getting some recent/updated information since Jex went through all the word to search for the threads and TUSR put them all in the OP. The threads were just ideas, but I get it, I'll leave it at the one I posted, which is getting pretty good responses so far. (none from regular AnimeGAF either, for the most part.)
Sorry if I came off as harsh, wasn't my intention. I just honestly didn't know if this had been a discussed thing or not. Like I said, I haven't popped my head in here a while. I mean I didn't even know if personal OP were still or thing or if there was a decision to have a fixed format from now on.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You know, I always see the word 'bullying' tossed about in this thread, but I've never seen any indication of bullying going on in here. That's a big accusation to make. Cyber bullying should not and will not be tolerated and any and all instances will be punished by bullying. Thank you for your cooperation.

Its just a dumb AnimeGAF meme that got into the ground almost instantly

Narag

whoever makes the Fall OT can do it

i have no interest in this

im closing out summer and taking a break from making threads

Fall OT is going to be Imouto☆Planet if I don't get a volunteer.

Its just a dumb AnimeGAF meme that got into the ground almost instantly

If only, I catch the worst shit from people on twitter and irc and even then it's not so much animegaf but hooligans from mangaf

javac

Speaking of writing, I still need to write up my review for Kaiba, but I'm just sitting here listening to the Evangelion soundtrack because its so damn good and the BD has got me hyped. I hope to start it soon. I don't know why, but I spend a decent amount of time writing my reviews, I don't even know if my writing style is good or if they're helpful or anything but I enjoy writing them and by proxy by writing them I too rediscover just why I like the show/movie in the first place by revisiting it and articulating in words just how it made me feel. I guess in that sense I'll continue writing them. I hope to discover the perfect balance because I try my best not to regurgitate the same thoughts but I also try not to go into specifics and spoil the potential discovery the reader may have when watching it for the first time themselves so instead I focus on the feelings I had, the cold facts and the inspirations, like when I reviewed Metropolis the backbone was the 1927 film. I guess I find them fun to write.

While I'm here, how many people here are getting or considering getting the Eva BD?

javac

Had a look at the chart and yup as I expected nothing appeals to me, although I will keep an eye on the Project Itoh adaptations.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fall OT is going to be Imouto☆Planet if I don't get a volunteer.

If only, I catch the worst shit from people on twitter and irc and even then it's not so much animegaf but hooligans from mangaf

.....mangaGAF has hooligans?

cajunator

Banned
Girlfriend (Kari)/(Beta)

An anime about a large cast of high school girls living out their lives. Yes, it’s very slice of life and yes, the girls are all absolutely adorable.

It’s really hard to talk about the cast of girls, in 12 episodes we meet at least 20 different characters, heck it’s probably over 30. There are a lot of girls so it makes it incredibly hard to remember even 1/4th of them. Fortunately for the viewers, there are only a handful of girls that are focused on; such as the beautiful gymnast Kokomi Shiina, or the French transfer student Lemaire Chloe. These two girls are in most episodes and make it easy to remember who they are. We also have Sakurai Akane, Mochizuki Erena and Murakami Fumio, more girls that appear in most episodes.

The best way to describe Girlfriend (Beta) is to imagine Kiniro Mosaic, take away all the really cute scenes, make the characters look older and slow the pace down; you end up with Girlfriend (Beta) and it’s actually a lot of fun. The episodes are in an episodic form, the stories are all very much drama-free and relaxing, and the girls are adorable and very cute. There are heartwarming episodes and it’s all very much a feel good show.

One of the great things about the anime in general is how all the girls feel different and most of them are cliché free. We don’t have one girl who’s the smartest, the best at sports and is also coveted by both the purest form of love and the boys, things like that don’t exist. Every girl has some type of flaw, though things of that nature are never really explained in-depth either, you have this sense that the girls are multi-faceted, which is an absolute huge + to see in any type of anime. If you watch Girlfriend (Beta), it’s because you really want to slow down time and just enjoy the girls and their antics.

As a note: there are no ecchi scenes and no skin is unnecessarily exposed, it’s safe for kids to watch! Another note: The cast consists entirely of girls, no male exists; well they do, but they never talk and are just drawn in the background to give “life” to the school, but it’s about girls and the show is probably aimed for girls too; which makes the title for the anime weird, you assume Girlfriend (Beta) will consist of dating and things like that, but nope, the title comes from a mobile dating sim game; just using the source for the characters for the anime.

The art style, well it’s very simple, I guess bland even. The colors are cute though, and the girls are drawn in a way that makes them look extra cute, blemishes and all, so very attractive. In-fact, even with the simple backgrounds, the girls alone make up for it entirely, which I think is really important, since there are so many of them too. The animation is of decent quality too I believe; once again, because there is no focus on the background art, it’s all about the girls and as such, works really well. I can’t say I had any issues with the animation while I was watching.

Music: I’d go with average - good. I can’t say I remember much of the music that was played, aside from the OP and ED, and when the OP is used mid episode. There is BGM involved, but I think most scenes can live without it and none of the scenes required much either, it’s a really slow anime so…. music could have taken a back seat and I’d still enjoy what I watched. Though it doesn’t mean the music is bad either, just that I didn’t notice it as much as I probably should.

Overall I really enjoyed Girlfriend (Beta). It reminded me of Kiniro Mosaic, we have a student who speaks in broken Japanese (Still one of the cutest things ever) and the slow pace of the show in a high school setting was really nice and relaxing. The cast of characters are great and because they’re not full of clichés, makes it easy to appreciate them all. I also liked the variety included; there was even an android girl! How cool is that? (Very)

Girlfriend Beta was alrigfht. Mostly I liked it because of Chloe Lemaire, and I even bought a nendoroid of her (with a voicebox)

I've been thinking about what my Top 5 anime series would be for several genres, and found that sadly enough most of my highly rated shows are already pretty well known. I'd rather go for something like a list of good but underlooked anime like the one we're using for the bi-monthly "let's watch" than looking at lists containing Cowboy Bebop, FMA and other such shows ad nauseam.

My favorites are quite well known around here but for people who dont know, it could surprise them. You might think it would be filled with a bunch of cute shows, but actually very few are.

I dont like romance genre enough to really give a good list but I will take part in other lists in the future. Its a good idea.

New releases for this week (08/10/15)

New releases for this week (08/11/15)

Its kinda weird seeing stuff I have already owned for weeks being listed as "upcoming releases" but thats how great Rightstuf is!

javac

Its kinda weird seeing stuff I have already owned for weeks being listed as "upcoming releases" but thats how great Rightstuf is!

I thought about this for a while, should I just not post updates then since people most likely own them well before I post about them? Seems a bit redundant then really :p

Speaking of writing, I still need to write up my review for Kaiba, but I'm just sitting here listening to the Evangelion soundtrack because its so damn good and the BD has got me hyped. I hope to start it soon. I don't know why, but I spend a decent amount of time writing my reviews, I don't even know if my writing style is good or if they're helpful or anything but I enjoy writing them and by proxy by writing them I too rediscover just why I like the show/movie in the first place by revisiting it and articulating in words just how it made me feel. I guess in that sense I'll continue writing them. I hope to discover the perfect balance because I try my best not to regurgitate the same thoughts but I also try not to go into specifics and spoil the potential discovery the reader may have when watching it for the first time themselves so instead I focus on the feelings I had, the cold facts and the inspirations, like when I reviewed Metropolis the backbone was the 1927 film. I guess I find them fun to write.

While I'm here, how many people here are getting or considering getting the Eva BD?

I ponder many a moment over the phrasing of certain elements of my writing. Vocabulary is a tool that not many contemplate in their desire to inform others of electrical impulses inside their cortices. That, and being a translator really enforced my desire to phrase things just right to not incite rioting. For example, I chose to translate the phrase between Kumiko/Reina on the website's character relationship chart as "gravitated together" instead of the textbook "attracted." Both are technically correct, but one implies something romantically in English compared to the other. Writing is a good exercise not only to inform others, but to improve your own style and better in other instances (though my scientific writing could easily be improved). The best support I could offer is to write for yourself and not for others. I'm sure people have pondered "why did you translate so much about Tamako Market/Tamako Love Story?" and the answer is simply "that's what I wanted to translate." Writing is similar; write what you want to write about and nothing's ever a waste.

Also, I pre-ordered the Eva BD-Box from Amazon on day 1. I wasn't going to chance it selling out like the initial Renewal DVD-Box.

Arcadius

Banned
Girlfriend Beta was alrigfht. Mostly I liked it because of Chloe Lemaire, and I even bought a nendoroid of her (with a voicebox)

Super cute Nendo, but I really enjoyed Girlfriend Beta =).

I ponder many a moment over the phrasing of certain elements of my writing. Vocabulary is a tool that not many contemplate in their desire to inform others of electrical impulses inside their cortices.

I think my heart skipped a beat or something, that was amazing!!

kewlmyc

Eren Yeager - driven by this dream of expelling the Titan from the world, he's given to breaking school rules. His favorite food is cheeseburgers.

Mikasa Ackerman - Eren's childhood friend, who's only interested in him. Her amazing physical abilities are reduced down to 30% and she oozes a spirit of melancholy when he's not with her.

Armin Arlert - intelligent, but weakened by a susceptibility to cold. Wears around bedding to avoid getting sick.

My hope is that the OP is just the first OP in this style, that would be amazing. That description of Mikasa is sadly too accurate RIP

That Mikasa might as well be the real one.

Is this full length episodes or just 5 minute shorts?

cajunator

Banned
looks at number of cajun's posts in anime gaf
looks at my own total number of posts and seems that it's a little more than 1/9 of what cajun posted in these threads

I should probably post more

I post a lot but I have this site logged in on every pc and device that I use so Im in near constant access to it. I can check it anywhere, even when Im out fishing or running errands lol.

Overlord - 6
G57Kr6s.png

Well, there it is.

This looks hilarious for some reason.

Same here. To me, "top" anime polls will often result in mainstream ones winning by mere virtue of having a lot more exposure than less well-known series, making such polls less about finding interesting anime and more about just knowing what's popular. I mean, SAO was a popular anime a couple seasons ago, for crying out loud (which I'd never recommend to anyone). I'd rather find underlooked anime to watch right away than having to sift through the rankings full of mainstream shows I've already watched until I spot one I haven't yet.

I also think that some categories such as "cute shows" or "twisted shows" are a bit too specific for their own good, when SoL tends to encapsulate "cute" and we could use drama and action categories instead. Individual threads also seem like a waste of space, but I guess I'll check them out after a while in case I happen to find anything interesting.

Not every slice of life show is necessarily cute, and not every cute show is slice of life.
Etotama for example is super cute but definitely not SoL, and HanaIro is definitely SoL but not overly cute (although Ohana is pretty adorable by my standards)
The two are often thought of as interchangeable though so you have a point.

Monster Musume 06

Ok I heard Darling's neck snap this episode, Christ.

Also more human on human violence! Miia was humming the OP at the end, I love that trope

Next episode we can finally stop FUCKING AROUND WITH THE LESSERS and get to the QUEEN

Darling wont ever die. He is immortal. Im certain of it. Maybe because of close proximity with monster girls or lady luck just really likes him, but he cant die. No matter what. This show frustrates me sometimes how ridiculously sexually depraved it gets, but its still really funny.

The cat herding has finally gotten to TUSR. RIP.

And no that isn't a joke directed at Narag specifically.

I had to look up what cat herding is but it makes total sense in context of this thread and the visual is giving me giggle fits.

Mandelbo

Non Non Biyori S2 06

Not even Renge, who finds even banal things like fishing for onions interesting, can lie to Hotarun's face about the disappointment of the "firework". The teddy bear that popped out of it looked like it was being strangled by the parachute.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hope this Attack of Titan gag show just ends each episode with Monty Python style titan foot crushing the cast.

I'm willing to bet this will be way better than AoT proper because it will make fun of all the stupid shit AoT does.

Armin is looking pretty hiki right there.

javac

I ponder many a moment over the phrasing of certain elements of my writing. Vocabulary is a tool that not many contemplate in their desire to inform others of electrical impulses inside their cortices. That, and being a translator really enforced my desire to phrase things just right to not incite rioting. For example, I chose to translate the phrase between Kumiko/Reina on the website's character relationship chart as "gravitated together" instead of the textbook "attracted." Both are technically correct, but one implies something romantically in English compared to the other. Writing is a good exercise not only to inform others, but to improve your own style and better in other instances (though my scientific writing could easily be improved). The best support I could offer is to write for yourself and not for others. I'm sure people have pondered "why did you translate so much about Tamako Market/Tamako Love Story?" and the answer is simply "that's what I wanted to translate." Writing is similar; write what you want to write about and nothing's ever a waste.

Also, I pre-ordered the Eva BD-Box from Amazon on day 1. I wasn't going to chance it selling out like the initial Renewal DVD-Box.

Thanks for your comment, I really appreciate it. Like you said, I write for myself. I've always had a passion for writing and drawing, but as I entered the age of technology my hobby for drawing disappeared but even so, I try to get a bit of writing in every now and again. I really write reviews for myself, but at the same time I don't want to self-indulge too much. I guess the idea is if I like something and feel a certain way about something I should stay true to that because chances are, somebody else out there reading will feel the same way and its more rewarding writing about your feelings and hearing people agree or even disagree because the mere fact that they read and responded is enough to motivate me to write more.

Sometimes I feel a certain way and can never quite sum up in words just how I felt only to read something or to watch a video where somebody nails exactly what I was feeling, so in that sense I want to do the same. To not only recommended people to watch X,Y and Z but to supplement their viewing and maybe help them articulate why they liked it themselves.

I write reviews not to convince myself why I felt the way I did but to express why I felt that way, to rediscover those feelings and articulate them into tangible words. It can be a history lesson and I too can learn more about the series as I write about it and ponder. My reviews aren't intricate but are instead fleeting feelings and very much in the moment. My opinions may change hours after writing my review, but that's fine because they're moments in time and I know for a fact that the feelings that I had may not hold true now, but at the time they were real.

-
I have the BD pre-ordered on Amazon but I actually have the limited edition with the pre-order bonus ordered too. I was planning on canceling the LE since I can't justify the extra costs for a tiny SEELE Danbo but its sold out now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom