• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
The more """"""darker""""""", shounen stuff is always popular in the west, if you look at a random popularity poll you'll see that shows like Gangsta and Overlord usually place pretty high in the charts.

Both are definitely getting enough attention although whether they deserve it or not compared to other shows is highly debatable.

Oh, if you're looking for a currently airing show that is literally 90's shounen check out Ushio to Tora, now that's a show which isn't getting enough recognition.

cajunator

Banned
The more """"""darker""""""", shounen stuff is always popular in the west, if you look at a random popularity poll you'll see that shows like Gangsta and Overlord usually place pretty high in the charts.

Both are definitely getting enough attention, although whether they deserve it or not compared to other shows is debatable.

Oh, if you're looking for a currently airing show that is literally 90's shounen check out Ushio to Tora, now that's a show which isn't getting enough recognition.

Actually, Ushio and Tora is getting plenty of attention right now.

Both are definitely getting enough attention although whether they deserve it or not compared to other shows is highly debatable.

How could Overlord not rank high?

It's full of calcium

Actually, Ushio and Tora is getting plenty of attention right now.

Sec, I'll try to dig something up. I definitely don't remember it being up very high in polls, I might be wrong though.

1) Pretty low compared to others in this poll someone linked a while back, guess who're number 1 and 2?

2) Compare MAL listings, Gansta has 90k(!) compared to Ushio to Tora's 35K

3) Upvotes for threads on reddit are also heavily in favor for Gangsta compared to Overlord.

Can't find more but I think that this will do.

Anyhow, AnimeGAF is a pretty small sample size, I wouldn't base the popularity of a show in the west just on the amount of posts it gets in this thread.

How could Overlord not rank high?

It's full of calcium

Strong bones make for strong shows

Doot doot

Taruranto

Holy shit Zen's brother is Howl!!! #6

QHA02BL.jpg

And also Akira Ishida doing is sexy rapist voice.

Rokka 6

I didn't think this anime would be this fucking good. Yeah it may have bits of quality and designs may be off putting to some, but other that this show has been gold. All of characters just being suspicious of each other in a room for more than half this episode was more intense than if they had just fought demons. Story just keeps you guessing on how the the 7th really did lock up all the Braves in the Temple.

It's been a long time since we had a Fantasy anime that's as intriguing and fascinating as Rokka. I mean having all the Braves go against each other makes for a more dynamic development than for them just to simply kill demons.

ZuIexx8.jpg

Adlet's sister was really beautiful.

Adlet's flashback was well done and it helped convey how desperate he is to get stronger. It showed us the reason why he always smiles and repeats the line of 'I'm the strongest.' Also that Miyuki voicing Aldlet as a child was a big plus in my book. I'm also loving how the OP and EDs have been changing frequently.

Also I forgot to mention Fremy is the best and I love her interactions with Adlet. However I wonder how Adlet is going to get out of this situation.

Cornbread78

Sec, I'll try to dig something up. I definitely don't remember it being up very high in polls, I might be wrong though.

1) Pretty low compared to others in this poll someone linked a while back, guess who're number 1 and 2?

2) Compare MAL listings, Gansta has 90k(!) compared to Ushio to Tora's 35K

3) Upvotes for threads on reddit are also heavily in favor for Gangsta compared to Overlord.

Can't find more but I think that this will do.

Anyhow, AnimeGAF is a pretty small sample size, I wouldn't base the popularity of a show in the west just on the amount of posts it gets in this thread.

Strong bones make for strong shows

Doot doot

It's weird seeing that top 5 compared to other charts. What demographic is taking that survey?

kewlmyc

Rokka 6

I didn't think this anime would be this fucking good. Yeah it may have bits of quality and designs may be off putting to some, but other that this show has been gold. All of characters just being suspicious of each other in a room for more than half this episode was more intense than if they had just fought demons. Story just keeps you guessing on how the the 7th really did lock up all the Braves in the Temple.

It's been a long time since we had a Fantasy anime that's as intriguing and fascinating as Rokka. I mean having all the Braves go against each other makes for a more dynamic development than for them just to simply kill demons.

Adlet's flashback was well done and it helped convey how desperate he is to get stronger. It showed us the reason why he always smiles and repeats the line of 'I'm the strongest.' Also that Miyuki voicing Aldlet as a child was a big plus in my book. I'm also loving how the OP and EDs have been changing frequently.

Also I forgot to mention Fremy is the best and I love her interactions with Adlet. However I wonder how Adlet is going to get out of this situation.

I like how this has become more of a fantasy mystery. Haven't seen that since Umineko, and that barely counted.

Also, that woman is his sister, not mother.

Rokka 6

I think that's actually his sister

It's weird seeing that top 5 compared to other charts. What demographic is taking that survey?

I have no idea, it's the first thing that pops up when I google "summer anime poll" though.

It's in line with the other things so I won't really call it bad data unless someone proves me otherwise, didn't you have a list yourself by the way? Care to link it?

I like how this has become more of a fantasy mystery. Haven't seen that since Umineko, and that barely counted.

Having read a bit ahead in the light novel, the entire story is basically just that, and it seems to go more from mystery to mystery each volume of the light novel

Well my mistake I was thinking sister but I put mother instead lol.

Yeah I really love how this isn't your everyday Fantasy show. The mystery keeps it really engaging. I didn't think we would get a anime like this.

today I discovered there's an anime sequel to lilo and stitch where Stitch lives with a new girl and lilo is like an adult and has a child that looks exactly like her and.. I don't even know.

today I discovered there's an anime sequel to lilo and stitch where Stitch lives with a new girl and lilo is like an adult and has a child that looks exactly like her and.. I don't even know.

I think they needed to do good deeds or something along those lines, it definitely didn't hold a candle to the original but it was still decent, the main alien cast also appeared, you know, that green guy and stuff.

While we're on the topic of non-anime, I saw that Lego Star Wars: Droid Tales thingy, pleasantly suprised.

Edit: Wait it's actually an anime?

javac

I edited my post. You keep better track of releases better than me.
You didn't need to :(
I know nothing of Gundam history why was this never made available in the US?
The director just doesn't like it and never acknowledges its exsistance, I think the episode has really bad animation or something.

Turn A Gundam l & ll: Earth Light & Moonlight Butterfly
Release Date: 11/3/2015
Audio: Japanese
Subtitle: English
Run Time: 257 mins
Format: DVD
PE8Bgvg.jpg

Price: $32.49 @Rightstuf.com

From the New World 17

This was a satisfying and largely solid introduction to the final arc, as, thematically, the episode served as an excellent bridge between the previous arc and the momentous events that are certain to follow throughout the conclusion to this expertly told story, while also managing to deftly establish the societal complexities that will undoubtedly propel a significant portion of the narrative throughout the remaining episodes. In an episode as densely informative and conversational as this one, it would have been easy to slip into a listless monotony, but the material was superbly handled throughout, displaying a confidence within its storytelling that was quite impressive. Rather than seeming excessive in its exposition, the execution was able to balance a plethora of disparate motivations and perspectives exceedingly well, allowing the insight into their world to feel organic.

Saki’s role in society as a
researcher of queerats
is a rather melancholic one, as it immediately establishes that, despite the years that had passed, their civilization still clings to the same fears that precipitated their gradual decay as a species. As a contrast to the previous arc, Saki’s maturity seems to have rid her perspective entirely of the ignorant naivety that many of the others had already abandoned. Above all, she appears to be exceedingly knowledgeable and realistic in her perception of the world‘s complexities, which is an altogether refreshing development for her character. Among the committee, she alone seems able to glimpse the manipulative cunning that Squealer so skillfully wields. If, in fact,
Maria and Mamoru don’t return, hopefully their fates, whether pleasant or otherwise, are alluded to in some fashion. It seems rather unlikely that they will appear again
, but some sort of quiet resolution to their individual narrative would be ideal.

Squealer continues to be a wonderfully compelling and surprisingly complex character. Increasingly common though it is, he displayed an unrivaled and rather impressive intelligence throughout the episode, as he, once again, cleverly manipulated others into altering their perception of him. This was displayed most effectively by his ingenious accusation against the Spider Wasp colony, in which he suggested that
they had intentionally splintered into two factions and had staged an attack on themselves in an attempt to mask their deception and disrupt the fragile balance of the colonies
. As a result, this touch of doubt greatly diminished the suspicion against his own colony, thus allowing his machinations to flourish in full.

The questioning of Kiroumaru and Squealer was a thoroughly insightful sequence, as it deftly illustrated the delicate balance of the disparate queerat colonies and the volatile fractures that exist within them. The reveal that the robber fly colony
wasn’t the only one to have overthrown their queen and exacted a representative democracy in its stead
is fascinating. It was rather interesting to see the leaders of various councils, including Asahina from the Ethics Committee, and how greatly they diverged from one another, in both design and temperance. They seem awfully naïve, but that’s to be expected, considering their efforts to prevent the destruction of their society have only ever been focused on themselves. Within this sequence and several others throughout the episode, such as
Saki’s future narration
, portents of a
likely devastating war
were carefully woven into the narrative. These whispers of foreshadowing have been considerably effective throughout the series and continue to be so here.

Each episode seems only to strengthen my perception that the queerats should ultimately be triumphant. One diseased society would simply be replaced by another, of course, but the cruelty that the queerats have been made to endure by the “gods” throughout time emboldens the sympathetic nature of their existence as a species. It would be a fitting end to their reign. In their arrogance and the unwavering belief of their own superiority, they would underestimate the rapidity of the queerats evolution into beings that are fully capable of rebelling against the “gods” above them.

The final scene, in which
Satoru told Saki of the Giant Hornets’ annihilation
, was highly intriguing, especially since it seems rather unlikely, despite the swift progression of the weapons the queerats possess, that an entire
colony could be eradicated by anything other than a PK user
. Of course, there is also the possibility, however small, that Squealer had
orchestrated a devious plan in which the Spider Wasps colony would infiltrate the Giant Hornets colony and destroy it from within
, smartly avoiding personal culpability. If Squealer‘s colony, however, does somehow possess some sort of access to the
powers of a human
, their looming rebellion could be considerably more effective and, without question, more disastrous than once thought. This sequence was beautifully crafted, each shot framed in a manner that accentuated a melancholy and lingering tension that only heightened the effectiveness of Satoru‘s declaration. The scene opens with a shot of the baby queerats that were first introduced in the opening, accompanied solely by the echo of a heavy rain. Saki then closes the window, which extinguishes nearly every trace of sound, as the image returns, for the second time in the episode, to a colorless state, save for a purple flower that draws Saki’s attention. Only after a moment does she turn to see Satoru in the doorway, gravely exclaiming that the
Giant Hornet Colony was utterly destroyed
. The sound design, as Satoru’s words were effectively isolated amidst silence, greatly complemented the ominous atmosphere within this conclusion.

The direction within this episode was rather impressive. Of note was the confident and consistently measured handling of the numerous discussions throughout the episode and the manner in which miniscule fluctuations of expression are essential in conveying the complexities within a conversation, especially one as significant and nuanced as the interrogation of Squealer and Kiroumaru. Their subtle reactions to certain remarks throughout this particular sequence illuminated considerable insight into their respective characters and the complex societal structure of their hastily evolving colonies. This flourish of detail was most sharply executed during the scene in which Asahina smartly questioned Squealer as to how he could be so knowledgeable about the Goat Moth colony if his own colony wasn’t, in fact, intimately tied to theirs. As she made this declaration, only her mouth was visible, followed by a shot of Saki’s eyes widening as it came to a close, then transitioning to Squealer raising his head in shock, and, in conclusion, Kiroumaru’s mouth twisting into a sinister smile at the newly spoken implications and his perceived advantage. This was, in summation, a rather efficient piece of visual storytelling, used to similar effect several times over the course of the episode. The clever storyboarding was rather integral to the effectiveness of this moment as well, which is a strength that was prevalent throughout.

The new ED, though a mediocre effort, especially compared to the sublimely crafted first ED, is nonetheless notable for its striking imagery. The prominence of what, on several occasions, appears to be
Maria
, and, on others,
a figure that merely resembles Maria
is immensely intriguing. Perhaps these images are intended to foreshadow a return of the
red-haired individual that appeared in Saki’s dream at the end of the previous arc
. Of course, like so many other ED’s, the imagery could be meaningless, but that seems rather doubtful. The altered rendition of the choral arrangement that has been intermittently filtered throughout the entire series, this time accompanying the battle between two colonies toward the end of the episode, is perhaps the most beautiful and haunting of those that have been introduced so far. It evokes a bizarre wonderment within the savagery that infects their world, smartly emphasizing, at least within this particular sequence, the frightful possibilities the queerat colonies possess. The character designs for the older versions of Saki and Satoru are quite strong, both natural evolutions from their younger selves.

All in all, From the New World remains a tightly crafted and thoroughly compelling series, as this episode, though slightly uneventful, established the narrative foundation for the concluding arc in an impressively deft manner. This series continues to excel, most notably, with the construction of its world, as seemingly every thread or bit of foreshadowing that has been introduced throughout gradually plays a part, in some fashion, within the narrative. This sort of exceedingly meaningful and meticulous world-building is altogether rare, typically resulting in little more than superficial decoration, but it appears likely that this final arc will serve, in part, as a thoughtful culmination to these complex elements. If the storytelling continues to be handled as superbly as it has been to this point, then the ending to this story should prove considerably satisfying. The next episode, at least according to the preview, looks to be quite incredible, as the momentum of the story, little by little, appears to be reaching its crescendo.

lonely

This is the previously released Gundam Blu-ray in Italy:

Yep the English release is a little lacking compared to some of the other releases to say the least. I suppose that's fortunate for me as I don't know how many more extravagant box sets I can splash out on for the rest of this year. But Italy does love its Gundam. The Origin I even got a cinema release over there.

javac

Yep the English release is a little lacking compared to some of the other releases to say the least. I suppose that's fortunate for me as I don't know how many more extravagant box sets I can splash out on for the rest of this year. But Italy does love its Gundam. The Origin I even got a cinema release over there.

I'm pretty sure that Italy is the only country in Europe that gets domestic releases of Gundam Model kits. They do indeed love their Gundam :)

The Japanese set:

jbug617

Banned
You have to remember this is Right Stuf first bluray release. I'm sure they are playing it safe with this release because of costs.

javac

You have to remember this is Right Stuf first bluray release. I'm sure they are playing it safe with this release because of costs.

Yeah I guess its the same with how Turn A was DVD first, in order to test the waters. I'm not a Gundam person myself, but one would assume that a Gundam BD release would be a surefire hit due to its legacy and popularity but as I read more and more people's reactions in regards to the set and its announcement I realized that I guess in the end maybe its not as simple as that and its not necessarily a guaranteed success.

Still, I like posting the Japanese set because its really nice looking :p

Uggh, I've heard. did they ever give a reason they skipped out on animating the final 8-10 chapters of the story?

So far from all of these fall leaks/announcements, there will be nothing I'm interested in... bummer.

I just read this one and had to laugh. That is two great punches he has thrown so far, although I will admit, he should have punched that guy in the face after the first "interview." Looks like spida chick is gonna mess him up next week too.

I mean, look at this shot...

tumblr_nsxwww2nBL1uoves2o1_500.gif

I guess it was all just set up so we could hear Suu being so cute and cunning....
You're just gonna love
smart
and
drunk
suu :D

Risette

A Good Citizen
weird that they didn't try to get that episode in the gundam set. even if the episode is bad it's kinda weird to sell an incomplete set.

oh well. not interested in the original series BDs anyways. I'd get the 0079 movies though. but mostly waiting for Turn A BDs.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Live footage from latest episode of Monster Slock

TZiPds4.gif

Aside from cooking, I see Lamias are also experienced with the Dead End Screamer move.

Poor Darling. At least he has the body of Iron Man.

Man I have been slow on watching this series, stupid busy schedule.

Humanity Has Declined 4

I loved how this episode was a parody of Manga rankings and popularity. Shit it really did show the struggles that Mangaka's go through just to keep their series up float. I still really enjoy Watashi's inner dialogues, it's just so goddamn cynical and negative. It's one of the best things about this series. I also loved how expressive Y is.

Also Watashi's assistant is a great artist.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
CkmQETNl.jpg

I'm genuinely shocked by all the actor cameos that they've gotten each week, since I just expected most people to be fictional actors like the main cast. This really does feel like one of those "inside Hollywood" type shows where random celebrities will show up because that's just what you do if you make a show about making a show. Well, without some of the biting satire of course, but you can't ask for too much. lol

Arcadius

Banned
PaniPoni Dash!

Welcome to…. One of the best anime ever! Seriously, it’s a super comedy, think comedy from anime and then square it = super comedy. PaniPoni Dash! Is an anime filled, totally loaded, with references. If you thought Lucky Star had a lot of references to anime, PaniPoni Dash! goes one step further, or like several; every single episode has references to mangaka artists, seiyuu, music artists, historic figures, other anime, manga/anime magazines, Indiana Jones, Star Strek, Kamen Rider:…… yeah, a lot of references; I don’t think there is a 5 minute period where something doesn’t get referenced, so this anime is almost like a test, how well do you know your Japanese culture? I can’t even say otaku things, because it’s a lot lot lot more than just otaku things. (Also, not necessary to know everything, it’s still ridiculously funny)

So what’s PaniPoni Dash! about? Uhm, nothing and yet everything at the same time. It’s about Miyamoto Rebecca, an 11 year old girl who has already graduated from the prestigious M.I.T. at the age of 10 and has gone to Japan to teach…. High school kids? Yeah, that’s what she does and there are 3 aliens who monitor and watch everything she does at all times, they just sit in space and play games or make up the bulk of Star Trek references and other things like that. See what I mean, everything, yet nothing.

Rebecca, or as her class calls her, Becky, teaches class 1-C of the Peach Moon Institution. Her class consists of Ichijou, who is the class representative, almost always expressionless and does things because she “feels” like it, she’s also capable of quite literally ignoring all the laws the world consists of, if she wants to do something, she will.

We have Katagiri Himeko, she has an ahoge (piece of hair that sticks up), it has magical powers and is always moving around, she loves to say “Maho” (super cute) and is love with Becky (platonic of course).

Momose Kurumi; you know how in anime there is always that one girl who’s super smart, super pretty, best in class, best in everything, right? Well Kurumi is not that girl; in-fact she’s 100% average. She’s so average that everyone in the class calls her plain, which leads to her getting depressed at having no presence.

Uehara Miyako, the girl with the HUGE forhead, seriously, her entire focus as a character is her forehead, sometimes the only thing you’ll see is her glasses frame and this shining, unbelievably large forehead that will reflect the scenes around her.
Serizawa Akane, the super cosplayer; she’s one of the funniest characters in PaniPoni Dash! Always trying to trick the girls by cosplaying, but almost always getting seen through the disguise, I always laugh when I see her.

I can’t forget about the rabbit Mesousa, he can’t hold anything, he’s ignored by everyone, he seems to always run into Kami-sama (A cat) and just like Momose Kurumi, he has no presence at all. He’s crying often and is very sad and even though it sounds really bad, it’s one of the funniest things in all of PaniPoni Dash! Laugh out loud funny at the way he’s treated, honestly, it’s so good.

Yes, there is a huge cast of characters and there are even more supports too, it’s filled to the brim with personalities and people, making PaniPoni Dash! impossible to be boring because the way PaniPoni works is each episode is encompassed by nonsense and many characters make it worth watching. Can’t even forget about the seiyuu involved, an intense and outstanding job utilizing much talent; I really don’t think it’s possible to call PPD a boring anime, nope, just not possible.

Art style; for what PaniPoni Dash! does, it’s very good. Soft, colorful, smooth lines and very very very, I mean absolutely adorable and very cute. All the girls are super cute, especially Becky, star of the show. The neat thing about PPD is that, aside from its “standard” or “normal” art style, the massive amount of references to other anime and things means you experience a ton, almost literally a ton, of different art styles. Super realistic, mega cute, out of this world crazy; PPD is as much fun to look at as it is to actually watch.

Sound/Music: Unbelievably unbelievable. The sound effects, the music, the BGM, everything and I do mean everything, is perfect. There are so many sound design aspects to PPD that it makes my head hurt thinking about it. There is so much going on within PPD, all the crazy antics, scenes and things that the sound aspect is huge. Don’t just think that the references only work on the drawn art aspect either; prepare to listen closely to the music because even within that variable, there are references to other things, such as music from Rocky!

PPD! is an anime that from the get go, you can tell everyone had a lot of fun working on. The references, the art, the way the seiyuu conduct themselves; the zany world we’re thrown into, it’s all just a whole big bag of good fun. Not much makes sense, most references will fly right over your head, but it doesn’t stop PPD! being one of the best put together anime I have ever seen. It’s incredibly funny, it’s really cute, it’s super good and most definitely worth watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom