• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
So apparently the upcoming weekly young jump is teasing a second season of Terraformars, I know you're all excited

Edit: Apparently was already posted

Nana - 10

Hilarious (if you know the context)

Man, Morio Asaka is pretty darn good at creating powerful moments by framing a shot close up on a character's eyes. That was quite remarkable in Chihayafuru, too. Obviously a still image won't do it justice but yeh there've been several of these shots making a strong impression already.

In other news, everything about this show remains awesome. The lanky character design can look a tad meh sometimes but that's just about my only and very minor complaint.

I love how the opening track is actually being used/developed in the story.

So apparently the upcoming weekly young jump is teasing a second season of Terraformars, I know you're all excited

Edit: Apparently was already posted

And next will come Tokyo Ghoul:re anime adaptation considering its the best selling Seinen series in Japan currently.

Fuck me they're going to ruin the series.

sonicmj1

Clannad 17-18: Tomoyo Arc?

Apparently any problem can be solved by beating somebody at sports, even if they are completely unrelated to the problem itself.

What stands out to me here in particular is how the normal VN-harem elements largely work against the core "family" story they're trying to tell, which is very much about Tomoya and Nagisa. The cliched antics at work here (trapped in a gym shed, girl coming to wake you up, girls offering home-made lunches) don't fit with the story and obviously won't lead anywhere. Why do these bonds of friendship have to be cheapened with romantic competition? I hope that tennis match marks the end of it all.

ss9E5hR.jpg

The hard cut out of that bento scene was fun through. Whatever you think of the humor, some moments have very good comic timing.

It hurts Tomoyo more than anyone, because her turn towards following Tomoya around and coming to his house all the time feels almost entirely unearned by any of his actions. She goes through a lot of effort to help him out. What drew her to him? Her character regularly hops between super-athlete, ex-gang vigilante, and pseudo-housewife, and none of the parts seem to inform each other, nor are they informed much by her backstory. Perhaps more than any of the other girls, she's more a collection of traits than a person.

All of these after-the-fact backstory dumps about characters don't have much effect on me, because it's mostly being told about the effect of these events, instead of showing characters we know as they face difficult times. That makes it harder to be emotionally invested in these various tragedies. It reminds me almost of Drebin telling the tales of the Beauty and the Beast Unit after the fights in MGS4. They're harrowing stories, but they lack impact because they feel separated from their subjects.

kXLdRnH.jpg

Sometimes the show reminds me of just how ugly Key character design is.

I like Tomoya the most when he can disentangle himself from the female characters swarming around him. He's got a lot of his own issues related to family, particularly how his disgust with his father leads him to feel like he doesn't really deserve anything. I feel like that relationship hasn't been explored that much, and it's potentially very interesting. Honestly, after the first episode most of their interactions feel more driven by Tomoya's spite than anything his father did in that moment, so I wish I had a better sense of what their earlier day-to-day was like for things to reach that point.

Qjb6UZx.jpg

This was a pretty shot. I liked how they changed the framing of that familiar room to reflect the pain of being alone.

This post has been pretty much nothing but nitpicks and criticisms, but despite those I do think the show is getting better. It's pretty easy to watch when the melodrama is more low-key. It's just goofy fun every now and then, like the decent episodes of Chuunibyou.

CkmQETNl.jpg

I'm genuinely shocked by all the actor cameos that they've gotten each week, since I just expected most people to be fictional actors like the main cast. This really does feel like one of those "inside Hollywood" type shows where random celebrities will show up because that's just what you do if you make a show about making a show. Well, without some of the biting satire of course, but you can't ask for too much. lol
I bet you just wanted to post a picture of Kugyuu.

varkuriru

A shogun and Katsura episode and it was pretty excellent. Hearty laughs were had. The Jenga, dodge ball and the TV screaming section slayed me.

Cornbread78

Amagami SS ep.1-3
This one has been pretty interesting so far. The heroine is the senpai in this one, but is cute and easy going, even through a confession rejection. It's easy to route for the MC as well because he has been harmless (so far) The first kiss was sweet in a way (I mean, it was unexpected and it was a forehead kiss) However, the second kiss was a little more borderline erotic in a way, but his reasoning for choosing "there" to kiss was funny and cute. (She will not allow him kiss her on the lips since they are not an official couple and wants it to be different and not cliché) He did get try to get a little more frisky and she stopped him saying "not yet" so that could lead somewhere. With that being said, the tone isn't perverted and there's no typical fanservice so it plays of as safe flirty behavior. I'm interested to see where they go with this set-up since it's a different take on tomance/courting here.

Hyouka - 10

I'm not going to lie, I wasn't expecting the conclusion Oreki came up with regarding the twist. I thought that was pretty well done.

Then the ending to this episode came. I actually ended up forgetting about the rope as well.

javac

I just got done watching the first 4 episodes of Space Cobra. Now I'd usually try to be all eloquent and talk a bit about the show with some facts...but holy fucking shit this show is absolutely incredible. Fucking hell I have tears in my eyes and a huge grin on my face. Mother fucker, this show....fuck, its everything I hoped it would be. The best way to describe this show is a mix of Takrajima art-style with Dezaki's post card memories and painterly visuals topped with a stunning jazzy soundtrack, hot babes and the slickness of City Hunter with an equally lovable protagonist, just man what a fucking show. Jesus this could end up being in my top 5 if it continues. The voice acting is incredible, the show is just oozing character and fuck me the ED has my heart fluttering with butterfly's in my stomach, I think...this is what it feels like to fall in love.

Man, this really is my type of show. Everything I love in one slick package. I can not stop smiling, man this has made my day :)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Stardust Crusade episode 42
That's....that's how he goes out? This was probably worse than the first time wtf,
avdol
no :(

HAPPINESS Charge Pretty cure - 42

i guess that after 42 episodes i expected the animation team to do better than this with those 3 characters.
The conclusion while perfectly fine by precure standards , lacks here plenty of things such as "choegraphy" or "consistent animation"
A total shame, considering that we're near the finale.
Hopefully the next episode will be better

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Amagami SS ep.1-3
This one has been pretty interesting so far. The heroine is the senpai in this one, but is cute and easy going, even through a confession rejection. It's easy to route for the MC as well because he has been harmless (so far) The first kiss was sweet in a way (I mean, it was unexpected and it was a forehead kiss) However, the second kiss was a little more borderline erotic in a way, but his reasoning for choosing "there" to kiss was funny and cute. (She will not allow him kiss her on the lips since they are not an official couple and wants it to be different and not cliché) He did get try to get a little more frisky and she stopped him saying "not yet" so that could lead somewhere. With that being said, the tone isn't perverted and there's no typical fanservice so it plays of as safe flirty behavior. I'm interested to see where they go with this set-up since it's a different take on tomance/courting here.
Have you already seen the first season?

Sterok

Go Princess Precure 27

I normally hate festival episodes, bit they've improved lately. I used to be meh on Yui, but pairing her up with Haruka done wonderful things for our protagonist lately. Kirara has roped Towa into a dangerous world. More Haruka/Yuuki shipping. Lame, but Flora calling him a loser was a decent speech. Ending changed.

Shirayukihime 6

Raj is awesome now suddenly. He's just awkward and clearly wants to part of this. Meanwhile elder prince the douche is yet another person that targets Shirayuki because commoner reasons.

Umaru 6

I empathize with those times where I have free time, yet have nothing I particularly need or want to do. You become numb to Umaru herself pretty quickly, and I'm mostly in for Taihei and Sylphyn right now.

Shirayuki 5-6

I missed two weeks of this show, now I am all caught up. So Zen has an older brother and he is a dick. Him being the first prince means that Zen can't fuck around with him. Let's see where this goes.

HAPPINESS Charge Pretty cure - 43

Here it is the mirage fight !
And toei nailed it
Happiness.Charge.Precure.43.jpg

Attack of the clones , no are they ..."mirages" :p
I wish i could say this was a 10/10 episode , but it's not... the love declaration of cure lovely is exactly why i don't like the overall tone of the show... this love attitude is why yes precure 5 is a dud in my mind. And this is probably why happinness charge won't be in my favorites. How can you mess out this much when you have a show with cure honey and cure princess that are really bringing the show up by themselves.

Still mirage went all out , the fight ( all 3 ) were nicely animated. The setting was superb and the conclusion very well done.
I have no others complains about this episode.

Now i'm scared ...there are 6 episodes left and this show might dive into the abyss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom