• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puruzi

Banned
HAPPINESS Charge Pretty cure - 43

Here it is the mirage fight !
And toei nailed it

I wish i could say this was a 10/10 episode , but it's not... the love declaration of cure lovely is exactly why i don't like the overall tone of the show... this love attitude is why yes precure 5 is a dud in my mind. And this is probably why happinness charge won't be in my favorites. How can you mess out this much when you have a show with cure honey and cure princess that are really bringing the show up by themselves.

Still mirage went all out , the fight ( all 3 ) were nicely animated. The setting was superb and the conclusion very well done.
I have no others complains about this episode.

Now i'm scared ...there are 6 episodes left and this show might dive into the abyss

Yeah it becomes incredibly shitty really quickly

This is the first season as far as I know. Ep. 4 is Xmas at the pool, correct?
You're watching episodes meant to complement things that happenned in season 1.
Also , Amagami is an anime omnibus, i hope you know what this means , but judging by your reaction to the first 3 eps , you're not aware of what this means yet.

Stop watching the epilogues stories and watch season 1

Yeah it becomes incredibly shitty really quickly

Damn , i don't like this ...

Cornbread78

You're watching episodes meant to complement things that happenned in season 1.
Also , Amagami is an anime omnibus, i hope you know what this means , but judging by your reaction to the first 3 eps , you're not aware of what this means yet.

Stop watching the epilogues stories and watch season 1.

Wait, I'm confused. I'm watching Amagami SS ( season1), then they have Amagami SS+, which is season 2, right?

Ok, what is "anime omnibus"?

VRMN

Wait, I'm confused. I'm watching Amagami SS ( season1), then they have Amagami SS+, which is season 2, right?

Every four episodes resets and tells a new story. There are six girls, all of whom have their own arc. Amagami SS+ contains an epilogue to each of those stories.

Narag

Hidamari Sketch x365 1

mSEHgT9l.png
1THwFCHl.png

tPsWOrOl.png
Xi9AFonl.png

Huh, I didn't think the first show looked bad but I can see why people tend to call it ugly after the fact.

HAPPINESS Charge Pretty cure - 43

Here it is the mirage fight !
And toei nailed it

I wish i could say this was a 10/10 episode , but it's not... the love declaration of cure lovely is exactly why i don't like the overall tone of the show... this love attitude is why yes precure 5 is a dud in my mind. And this is probably why happinness charge won't be in my favorites. How can you mess out this much when you have a show with cure honey and cure princess that are really bringing the show up by themselves.

Still mirage went all out , the fight ( all 3 ) were nicely animated. The setting was superb and the conclusion very well done.
I have no others complains about this episode.

Now i'm scared ...there are 6 episodes left and this show might dive into the abyss

Like I said. Don't watch the rest of it. It feels like an epilogue which... .doesn't make sense, but that's how it feels. Even for that one well animated episode, it's just not worth it.

And HapCha is a lot shittier than Yes! 5 with romance.

Hapiness charge pretty cure 44 & 45

if you hadn't guessed this turn of events, you need to watch more anime.

i even knew the name of the bad guy before i saw his face during episode 30, so confirming that name in episode 45 changes nothing.

So seiji , graduated from Very good helper and pillar of support To
brainwashed bad guy

I don't see the problem , it's nothing an innocent song attack can't fix , right ?

RIGHT ?

Cornbread78

Every four episodes resets and tells a new story. There are six girls, all of whom have their own arc. Amagami SS+ contains an epilogue to each of those stories.

So I am watching the right one then.?. There are 7 girls that get arcs in season 1 using the 4 arc method. Dude is a pimp.

i got confused as well , sorry but you're right .

as for why i was confused is that i mistook another event with the one you just saw.

Yeah amagami SS is indeed the first season.
As for what is an omnibus , you'll understand when you'll have finished episode 4 and start episode 5.
Don't forget to watch the oavs after each season.

Like I said. Don't watch the rest of it. It feels like an epilogue which... .doesn't make sense, but that's how it feels. Even for that one well animated episode, it's just not worth it.

And HapCha is a lot shittier than Yes! 5 with romance.

i agree ... there is a lot i want to say about those last 6 eps

BUt i'll agree that Hapcha romance is bad , but so far , Yes!5 was worse.

Sterok

I thought Happiness Charge was amazing. Once upon a time. The first 2/3 of the show was some of the best in the series. Hime was an excellent protagonist that finally brought Precure away from samey pink leads. Megumi was entertaining and perfectly enjoyable even if she was yet another Nozomi/Love clone. Especially with how she was especially brutal when fighting. Yuuko I was iffy on at first, but she became cool once she moved away from food jokes. Iona was always a solid character. Characters were well developed, the fights were dynamic, the premise was cool, and everything was well put together compared to the mess that was DokiDoki. Sure there were weak spots like everything with Blue or Mirage sitting on her ass too much, but it was the best the show had been since Heartcatch.

Then the finale came, and it was hot garbage the entire way. I had overlooked some earlier flaws assuming it was building up to a strong finale. Instead it just soured my opinion on the entire show. So much for Hime being an awesome protagonist. Here's more pink instead. It's part of why I'm not completely enthused about Go Princess despite the last few episodes being a marked improvement.

As for Yes 5, the romance was kind of awkward. There's age, student-teacher, commoner/royalty, inter-species, and living on different worlds issues all in one relationship. Still better than anything involving Blue though. Yes 5 is the peak of the franchise along with Heartcatch, so perhaps I'm willing to forgive more there.

Cornbread78

as for why i was confused is that i mistook another event with the one you just saw.

As for what is an omnibus , you'll understand when you'll have finished episode 4 and start episode 5.

Phew, I've screwed up before, (SAO, lol) so it wouldn't have surprised me, lol.

Btw ep.4 was pretty damn cute and we'll done overall.

Next arc...

Quasar

Well an omnibus or anthology is just a collection of unrelated stories. With Amagami each story is a separate continuity. I love the anthology format personally (and Amagami specifically - though some stories more than others) and wish there was more. Certainly it seems the perfect format for adapting dating sims into anime.

HapCha's romance was stupid from the getgo, and was the summation of Megumi's character because she had no stand out features outside of being Cure Mazinger.

At least we got a conclusion in Yes! 5.

Phew, I'very screwed up before, (SAO, lol) so it wouldn't have surprised me, lol.

Btw ep.4 was pretty damn cute and we'll dine overall.

Next arc...
Well pool events .... can be popular depening on the POV , so much that one can be confused... :p
---------------------------
Hapiness Charge precure - 46
The writter of this show deserve a slap on the face.
"i hate the world , i want to see it full of hate"

" why ? why do you hate the world so much"

"Because ..... i'm full of hatred !"

<_<

WHAT

i'll be clear : we already had bad guys that were bad because of their setting alone, but like the original precure show or in smile , they represented a theme ( DARKNESS or DESTRUCTION ) it's not a problem if you set-up the bad guy from the start with this kind of setting.. but you can NOT arrive THIS LATE IN THE SHOW with this as a motive.

No , just no.
I thought Happiness Charge was amazing. Once upon a time. The first 2/3 of the show was some of the best in the series. Hime was an excellent protagonist that finally brought Precure away from samey pink leads. Megumi was entertaining and perfectly enjoyable even if she was yet another Nozomi/Love clone. Especially with how she was especially brutal when fighting. Yuuko I was iffy on at first, but she became cool once she moved away from food jokes. Iona was always a solid character. Characters were well developed, the fights were dynamic, the premise was cool, and everything was well put together compared to the mess that was DokiDoki. Sure there were weak spots like everything with Blue or Mirage sitting on her ass too much, but it was the best the show had been since Heartcatch.

Then the finale came, and it was hot garbage the entire way. I had overlooked some earlier flaws assuming it was building up to a strong finale. Instead it just soured my opinion on the entire show. So much for Hime being an awesome protagonist. Here's more pink instead. It's part of why I'm not completely enthused about Go Princess despite the last few episodes being a marked improvement.

As for Yes 5, the romance was kind of awkward. There's age, student-teacher, commoner/royalty, inter-species, and living on different worlds issues all in one relationship. Still better than anything involving Blue though. Yes 5 is the peak of the franchise along with Heartcatch, so perhaps I'm willing to forgive more there.

i have to say that HIME was supposed to be a central part of the plot ( she freed axia , she went from useless to usefull ) and she was supposed to be nozomi partner... but that aspect disapeared.. she still remained "ok " but her definitive traits from the start of the show are nowhere to be seen.
Same with the blue sky kingdom..it's the place they wanted to save, it's where was the battle against mirage minion, but all you're giving me is 2 picture of hime with her parents and less than a min of footage ?

"hey you just saved the world !!" Why can't i have something about this part of the plot ( it was important before) but that was forgotten.

the show started too much like heartcatch and by the end , it has lost the little thing that made it like heartcatch but nothing like a precure series that tries.

Cornbread78

Well an omnibus or anthology is just a collection of unrelated stories. With Amagami each story is a separate continuity. I love the anthology format personally (and Amagami specifically - though some stories more than others) and wish there was more. Certainly it seems the perfect format for adapting dating sims into anime.

Yeah it definitely makes sense for dating Sim type stuff.

1st arc was pretty wel done, so I'm looking forward to more after I get some sleep.

HapCha's romance was stupid from the getgo, and was the summation of Megumi's character because she had no stand out features outside of being Cure Mazinger.

At least we got a conclusion in Yes! 5.
Yes 5! needed 2 season and 1 movie to finish that relationship develloppement...
They just doesn't know how to make romance work when the character involved aren't part of the main fighters.

Yall are really putting this on my short list.

Why do you hesitate ?

cajunator

Banned
Yes 5! needed 2 season and 1 movie to finish that relationship develloppement...
They just doesn't know how to make romance work when the character involved aren't part of the main fighters.

Why do you hesitate ?

I was watching other things and catching up on current shows.
Overlord is on my very short list though. Just got so much to see!

Bikini Warriors 6
Conveniently obscured nudity, even though they are not nude. And clothes stealing tentacle monster. Still dumb but it's fun to watch?!

Jarmel

Banned
Toradora 1-13 Rewatch-
So I ended up burning through the first half of the series accidentally, in that I only intended to watch the first three episodes. However I wanted to see Ami's introduction, then Ami's resolution and so on and so forth. It's been an interesting rewatch as I've picked up on things I didn't when I was younger such as the quality of the animation, directorial cues, and foreshadowing. The show really lays out a heavy amount of foreshadowing where if you go back after finishing the show, there's a lot of hints that tie into future arcs.
The first half of the show has held up remarkably well, much better than I could have imagined. This is mostly aided by the fantastic pacing, in that events don't seem to drag and there are strong resolutions to the arcs, which seem to last two to three episodes. For a show I haven't seen since it aired, I remembered a surprising number of scenes. The comedy for the show early on is excellent and a lot of the jokes are still stuck in my mind. Things like Diet Warriors and Minori Angel/Devil are funny as hell despite already being familiar with the material. It's a much better comedy than I remembered, as the dramatic elements are what I primarily remember the show for. Earlier parts of the show are rough though especially episodes 3 and 4 in that they're pretty dry and don't really advance anything. Now I can see that these two are setting up Minori's job drama arc in the 2nd half but by themselves they're pretty boring episodes. I just can't find Taiga trying to get the perfect picture of Kitamura as compelling material. Not to mention they're plagued, along with much of the first half, with violent tsundere Taiga. Yes, I understand she's a Kugimiya DFC tsundere in the 2000s where this garbage was all the rage but it's still somewhat annoying. Fortunately the tsundere violence isn't anywhere Zero no Tsukaima or Shana level. Not to mention the show largely grows out of in Taiga's rage is channeled towards to the 'Baka Chihuahua' instead of Ryuuji.

Primarily though, the biggest champion of the first half has been the pacing. Once an arc starts, there is very little bloat and things resolve decisively in a quick manner. For example, Taiga confesses in the 2nd episode which threw me for a complete loop. It seems like most shows would have held off until either half way through or right before the finale. Instead here Taiga at least tries to progress things forward before she gets friend-zoned. This quickness helps prevent the work from becoming tiresome despite the melodrama. The strong climaxes serve to not only give a feeling of catharsis to the audience but wrap things up pretty nicely so the show can move on and focus on something else.
One of the highlights has been the overall writing, which has proven a remarkable contrast to Okada's future works as well as the own author's (Yuyuko Takemiya) labor in Golden Time. The background for the characters are simple, compared to Tada Banri's amnesia, as Ryuuji is a fairly normal character with very basic issues. One of Ryuuji's primary character trait is his desire to clean which is a natural extension of having to take care of his mother. This accessibility makes the material more emotionally engaging in that I'm sure there are audience members who've also suffered from absentee fathers. Similarly Taiga's issues are a complication from being deserted by her own father and so she's clingy as a result.
I thought this was just the usual tsundere shtick but it turns out that she has abandonment issues as a result of her father neglecting her and so she's latched onto him. Similarly Ryuuji's issues, from a father that walked out on him and his mother, lead him to try and live vicariously through Taiga when her dad comes back. You can see how he instantly rejects other viewpoints that state the relationship isn't healthy and that Taiga was actually correct in ignoring him, until it slaps him in the face during the beauty pageant. What type of asshole sends a text to their child's friend, asking for the friend to apologize for the father? The dad wasn't even man enough to send the text to his daughter, which mind you is already at the bottom in terms of callous behavior. The only way he could have gone lower than that is if he faxed an email to Ryuuji. Ryuuji's hangups are very normal in this arc and really knock him down from being a Gary Stu as it shows he's dealing with his own family problems even if he doesn't bring them up. His mother, idolizing the man who walked out, surely didn't help things either as he lashes out at her as well.
This leads into the direction which most of the time was serviceable at best but when the drama kicks up, the direction has excelled. I've found the serious emotional moments to be handled very well, not only in how particular shots are framed such as when Taiga is kicking the pole in episode 2, but also sound elements such as the voice acting. The show harnesses the perception of space, particularly the notion of absence. For example, Taiga possibly fills her house with garbage as it's a way of her utilizing the dead space surrounding her and therefore it doesn't feel so empty. Ryuuji's apartment is smaller and the camera focuses on the usage and damage inside, which give it a lived-in feel. Many camera angles emphasize either the proximity of objects to each other or conversely the distance.
CnP4IOo.jpg

This shot for instance establishes Ryuuji's desire for order compared to the chaotic aspect of his mother's shoes laying haphazardly. Not to mention it's used in close proximity of shots inside Taiga's apartment as a way of showing Ryuuji's connection with his mother.
I was underwhelmed with the show's visuals so far as I remember it looking much better than how it actually is. The backgrounds are definitely in line with mid 2000's productions in that they're somewhat flat and sometimes have this bad processed effect to them. That was something I wasn't actively critiquing my first time through but it's much more apparent now. Not to mention the show itself has a somewhat soft look to it that hasn't held up that well in a HD era, and I'm not referring to upscaling as I'm watching the DVDs. I'm sure part of that can be attributed to the low resolution but elements like the bright light work add to this.
It's apparent that the primary focus is on the character animation but until episode 13 it wasn't that notable. The show utilizes large amounts of smears for quick bursts like the above shot but there has been very few cases of long high quality animation cuts. Instead there might be a super quick cut involving a smear and then the show would go back to a middling level of animation. That's not to say that the show looks bad though. There's also a few cases of stills being abused for production related purposes but that's fairly unusual. Episode 13 though...
It's like everything kicked into overdrive and worked out perfectly. I actually checked the staff list for this episode to see if some famous director had worked on it but nothing staff-side jumped out at me as notable. The character animation in particular was on point in a way not seen before in the show, in particular the lighting. One major issue I've had with the show was the character designs in that the characters don't appear to have noses at all from the front, more so than usual, and it can be really ugly occasionally. However the way Ryuuji's face was animated this episode denoted how unusually serious he was. Just as Ryuuji was 'harder' in both expression and action, Taiga became much softer and feminine. This juxtaposition underlines the changes both characters have undergone since the start of the show.
It's fascinating looking at this episode and comparing it to Okada's original tripe as it partially highlights why much of Okada's drama falls flat. That's because she can't nail the landing and have her climaxes be cathartic. Instead either the conclusions are too abrupt and weird in nature (Black Rock Shooter) or they're dragged out far too long (Anohana). There isn't any sort of release for the audience and so it leaves a bad aftertaste.
I'm glad I did the rewatch as I have a better appreciation for Minori as I remember not liking her that much my first time through. In some ways she's been the star of the show so far with all her jokes but also her love for Taiga. I know going into the backhalf that it becomes much more drama centered but I'm more than fine with that as the show has done a great job of handling the melodrama so far. I'm curious to see if the production values start to go up and stay at the episode 13 mark or whether they'll drop back down.
Ami is still best girl tho.

jman2050

Toradora 1-13 Rewatch-

Ami is still best girl tho.

And you were doing so well too.

Nice writeup though. I'd always considered trying to elaborate on why this show works so well where other similar shows fail but I don't know if it's really worth the effort. Interested to see how you feel about the ending episodes which I'm still not particularly fond of, despite everything else.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
ZA WARUDO episode 47

That special opening WAS FUCKING AWESOME AS SHIT omg that st the tone for hte hypeness of the rest of the episode, this is an amazing final battle, gonna jump right in to the last episode(I believe)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sore ga Seiyuu 6

Yg6SMv8l.jpg

jb86PQ4l.jpg

I wonder how many anime fans have said this. :p

Ahhh, I forgot about drama CDs. It's a harsh reality when you realize that being in the drama CD doesn't mean you get to work on the anime... but I wonder if anime actors really take drama CD work seriously. Maybe the new ones do - I guess it's the Japanese equivalent of being cast in the pilot of a TV show only to be recast by the time the show airs.

cajunator

Banned
Sore ga Seiyuu 6

Yg6SMv8l.jpg

jb86PQ4l.jpg

I wonder how many anime fans have said this. :p

Ahhh, I forgot about drama CDs. It's a harsh reality when you realize that being in the drama CD doesn't mean you get to work on the anime... but I wonder if anime actors really take drama CD work seriously. Maybe the new ones do - I guess it's the Japanese equivalent of being cast in the pilot of a TV show only to be recast by the time the show airs.

Ahh shit I forgot bout this one too. Its on Crunchy right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom