• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droplet

Can someone convince me to watch the rest of Patlabor? I'm around episode 30 or so. I was practically in love with the cast when I first started watching it so I didn't care about the lack of plot, but now there's actually a plot and I'm finding it difficult to stomach in spite of the great cast.

Also while we're at it, can someone convince me to watch the last 10 episodes of Legend of the Galactic Heroes? I was really into it until
the Scientologists became actually important
, and now it's a struggle to get interested.

phaze

Toradora 1-13 Rewatch-

So I ended up burning through the first half of the series accidentally, in that I only intended to watch the first three episodes. However I wanted to see Ami's introduction, then Ami's resolution and so on and so forth. It's been an interesting rewatch as I've picked up on things I didn't when I was younger such as the quality of the animation, directorial cues, and foreshadowing. The show really lays out a heavy amount of foreshadowing where if you go back after finishing the show, there's a lot of hints that tie into future arcs.

Ami is still best girl tho.

Too bad she folds like a chump.

Great write up. And very good show, despite my gripes with it. Now that I think of it, I don't think I've seen any romantic comedy that would even get close. (Not that I watched a whole lot.)

Eccentric Family 07
00944624sah.png

The shocking truth is revealed. I was just about to question how a guy that can transform into a mountain gets caught by a bunch of normal peeps.
Drinking is bad for your h̶e̶a̶l̶t̶h̶life I guess.

Sore ga Seiyuu 6

I'm surprised Futaba took the rejection so poorly. I was honestly expecting her to just get depressed for a small part of the show and move on like always. Ichigo is still the hardest working of them all them!

Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan 5-6

After all that hard work and trying they did I actually find it a bit statifying and amusing that they still got fucking perfected when it came to fighting against their peers. I was honestly expecting one of those 'loser whoop S-rank team's cock ass' sort of things. But nope, S-rank bodied them.

+1 for sleeping naked, that's the only way to sleep, Rico a best.

Arcadius

Banned
Kanamemo

Ecchi, extra yuri, crazy cute slice of life/coming of age anime with 6 girls! The story starts off rather sad and simple; Kana’s only guardian and caretaker, her grandmother, has just passed away and now all her things are being taken/sold/moved (never really explained). Kana, upset and frightened panics and packs her things immediately and sets on her way to find a place to live. She ends up working for a newspaper delivery “place”; room and board are provided, just as long as you can do the work! So it’s a quite the sad start, but worry not! The actual anime is very happy and very fun and really super adorable and cute. BEWARE: This anime contains some ecchi scenes such as a bathing scenario and things; there is also a character who is quite perverse.

For the girls, it’s rather interesting. We have Kana, our new comer, she’s inexperienced, naïve, gullible and an incredibly nice middle school girl. There is Haruka, the college student who drinks a lot of sake (A LOT), she also happens to be a lolicon and will try to grope and feel Kana any chance she gets. We have the yuri couple Yume and Yuuki, Yume is rather codependent on Yuuki and Yuuki is in total love for Yume, in-fact Yuuki prefers knowing that Yume needs to rely on her because they can be together forever; there is a lot of implied sexual acts between them and they tend to have very cute yuri moments between each other, such as cute pecks on the cheek or hugging and holding each other and even kissing. They’re a super cute couple and it’s really fun to watch them get all lovey dovey with one another. Saki is the chief, she runs the newspaper organization and the best way to describe her is to think of Renge from Non Non Biyori, then add a whole ton more cute to her character! The last girl (I know I said 6, think of her as a + 1) is Mika. She’s also another middle school girl; she’s very tsundere and has a super crush on Kana. The yuri potential between them is huuuuuuge, but it’s never really expanded upon since Kanamemo is more about growing up and slice of life for Kana herself. Mika is funny though, her tsun side and dere side are often at conflict with one another and it creates some amazingly funny scenes to watch and experience.

The stories are cute, it’s episodic and they tend to deal with issues that Kana may be going through, though the girls she works with are always there to help her. We have many clichéd anime stories, but even at this stage of watching anime, I still find them to be fun and honestly, Haruka + co make the entire anime so much fun to watch, full of great laughs and heartfelt moments. All the girls get a large portion of screen time, aiding us in understanding their motives and feelings towards one another, even Saki, who’s very serious and is all about making money and getting new subscribers, has some very soft sides to her that are shown incredibly well.

Art is incredibly soft. It’s peaceful to look at and everyone is drawn in a way that it feels like everyone is rather dreamy. The lines are soft, the background art is soft and cute, the girls are drawn well and animated well too, it’s a cute anime to watch and you can tell from the second you start watching that it’s very very very cute. The colors aren’t pastel, not overtly vibrant either, rather, they’re just colorful and soft enough to give pleasant smiles to the viewers; the combination of it all works so well that you can’t help but feel at peace with the ongoing commotion in Kanamemo, a job well done if you ask me. (Soft soft soft, I couldn’t have used that word more!) The reaction faces for Kana are simply amazing and will make you laugh so hard, they’re unbelievable and truly funny.

Music is surprisingly enough, very good! OP and ED though are amazing, full of energy and happiness and being over all super cute and mega fun. The BGM is well executed and the sounds are done well enough too. Seiyuu are your very moe, super cute type of seiyuu, expect to be battered by the constant cuteness of Kana’s voice and Mika’s voice, just hit after hit after hit until your heart just explodes with “AHHHHHHH, Kana you’re so cuuuuute!!!” Yeah, it’s really good.

Kanamemo is great fun and I enjoyed my time with it 100%, would recommend if you’re looking for a cute slice of life/coming of age type of story, though keep in mind about the ecchi things that Kanamemo has.

2017... yeah.

Not sure why they need to announce it so early

I like it, I always planned on starting the series but I didn't because of some rumours about a potential remake/adaptation, now that I know it's actually coming out "soon" I'm glad that I didn't start watching the older one.

Jarmel

Banned
And you were doing so well too.

Nice writeup though. I'd always considered trying to elaborate on why this show works so well where other similar shows fail but I don't know if it's really worth the effort. Interested to see how you feel about the ending episodes which I'm still not particularly fond of, despite everything else.

I'm curious too how I'll feel about the backhalf as that's where the Okada drama really kicks in and Ryuuji becomes an asshole at times. I'm also prepared mentally for the timeskip in that I can see some hints leading into it, justification-wise, so the final bunch should be entertaining.

You're like, not even 1/4 into Nana. And you dropped Tora after less than 5 episodes IIRC. Not a very objective and informed opinion !

I would hope nobody drops Tora until at least episode 6.

javac

Can someone convince me to watch the rest of Patlabor? I'm around episode 30 or so. I was practically in love with the cast when I first started watching it so I didn't care about the lack of plot, but now there's actually a plot and I'm finding it difficult to stomach in spite of the great cast.

Are you kidding me! Continue on damn it! Its the greatest show of all time, just do it! D: The Griffin arc is awesome and there's more Patlabor shenanigans, trust me. You're making me sad now :( Plus you need to get to the sequel which is also incredible! Please don't make me sad :(

Cornbread78

I'm curious too how I'll feel about the backhalf as that's where the Okada drama really kicks in and Ryuuji becomes an asshole at times. I'm also prepared mentally for the timeskip in that I can see some hints leading into it, justification-wise, so the final bunch should be entertaining.

I would hope nobody would drop Tora until at least episode 6.

I must say that was another excellant write up. Your attention to detail is amazing. Also, Ami wasn't really the best chick, however, she was the most mature and really called everything that happened way ahead of time. I don;t think I ended up having a "best chick" for this one since I was so irratated at the way they ended this one initially. I guess the symbolism of the ending has grown on me over time, but initially I was super pissed he ended it that way...

near

Gold Member
Gangsta. 1-6

Haven't been watching anime for a while now since everything I pick up turns out shit and I end up dropping it after the second episode but this series is pretty damn good. Watched episodes 1-6 last night and i'm really starting to like the character development and story being offered. Animation isn't all that great in my opinion but the art direction is. Let's see if I can finish this.

You're like, not even 1/4 into Nana. And you dropped Tora after less than 5 episodes IIRC. Not a very objective and informed opinion !

One episode into Nana I was quite certain it would be good. By the end of episode 2 it already proved me right.

Fantastic writing and direction is easily recognizable. But be your own judge and give it a try - shouldn't take long to get convinced!

Jarmel

Banned
I must say that was another excellant write up. Your attention to detail is amazing. Also, Ami wasn't really the best chick, however, she was the most mature and really called everything that happened way ahead of time. I don;t think I ended up having a "best chick" for this one since I was so irratated at the way they ended this one initially. I guess the symbolism of the ending has grown on me over time, but initially I was super pissed he ended it that way...

So far I feel both Minori and Ami have been extremely enjoyable to watch. I remember Taiga becomes much more likable in the 2nd half as she realizes she might lose Ryuuji. I'm not ready for that Christmas scene.

I'll have to watch the execution again but my feelings right now on the ending is that I think it might have been a necessary step for Taiga's growth as I'm wondering whether she latched onto Ryuuji like she latched on to her father and it probably wasn't healthy.

Jintor

the problem with the ending isn't on the character side imho, it's on the storytelling --> viewer side where it just kind of 'happens' instead of seeming to flow organically

Kuusen Madoushi Kouhosei no Kyoukan 5-6

After all that hard work and trying they did I actually find it a bit statifying and amusing that they still got fucking perfected when it came to fighting against their peers. I was honestly expecting one of those 'loser whoop S-rank team's cock ass' sort of things. But nope, S-rank bodied them.

+1 for sleeping naked, that's the only way to sleep, Rico a best.

i didn't think it would be possible but sky wizard academy is worse than magical warfare

Someone managed to do worse ..that's an achievement.
They still have episodes to turn it around but WHAT A DISAPOINTMENT

Jarmel

Banned
the problem with the ending isn't on the character side imho, it's on the storytelling --> viewer side where it just kind of 'happens' instead of seeming to flow organically

Seems like Japanese/Asian dramas love to pull that shit at the end where someone will leave for a year or whatever shockingly and come back in some reunion nonsense.

i didn't think it would be possible but sky wizard academy is worse than magical warfare

Someone managed to do worse ..that's an achievement.
They still have episodes to turn it around but WHAT A DISAPOINTMENT
I dunno, I still think magical warfare is worse than this by if only because I find three of the characters tolerable and the world somewhat interesting, whereas I couldn't find anyone likable in magical warfare and hated the stupid ass time paradox bullshit.

Quality is hitting magical warfare levels though.

Seems like Japanese/Asian dramas love to pull that shit at the end where someone will leave for a year or whatever shockingly and come back in some reunion nonsense.

While it didn't happen at the end, in AnoHana there was the most nonsensical middle, then highschool guy who apparently traveled the world and made money before returning to their secret shed because of reasons.

A fucking middle schooler or so, it would hardly even make sense if he joined his parents on such a world tour, much less so on his own, which they made it sound like iirc. How you'd possibly make money that way unless you're some major business associate or so, I don't even know.

-Minsc-

Rin-ne 19

LifeflameBatting.png

As always, it's the humour that keeps me watching. While not to GinTama's level, it has a certain tame charm.

Jintor

i heard in the love live movie they have to go to america to put on a concert to prove they can have bodokan (???) so they take over times square (???!?!?)

I don't believe you.
Then watch the first 3 eps.
So far it didn't went up , even if it tried to be better, they failed on the most basic levels because they didn't devellop the characters and the world properly.

The treatment of the MC by the academy is nonsense at best , ridiculous most of the time.
And i thought that this show could turn it around by properly devellop the cast ( the 3 other character ) and they tried ...but for some reason, they failed to hit that point where you could expect the most basic plot possible.

All i see is pointless drama , stubborness and a setting that could make sense but isn't explained enough

At least magical warfare made their character do things, sky wiazrd academy is pointless exposition & drama to hide the fact that while the characters are ok , everything else is poor.

I dunno, I still think magical warfare is worse than this by if only because I find three of the characters tolerable and the world somewhat interesting, whereas I couldn't find anyone likable in magical warfare and hated the stupid ass time paradox bullshit.

Quality is hitting magical warfare levels though.

They do nothing about the world. All that potential is wasted. When there was those flashback about that character mother and it was used as motivations for her and her future i was happy .... but that's the only time they actually bothered to explain the setting at least a little. The rest is "MISUNDERSTANDINGS the anime"

Cornbread78

Exactly what pissed me off, b ut Jarmel is correct below, and is what I came to grips with as I sat on it and watched some other anime. This was one of the first handful I watched, so....

So far I feel both Minori and Ami have been extremely enjoyable to watch. I remember Taiga becomes much more likable in the 2nd half as she realizes she might lose Ryuuji. I'm not ready for that Christmas scene.

I'll have to watch the execution again but my feelings right now on the ending is that I think it might have been a necessary step for Taiga's growth as I'm wondering whether she latched onto Ryuuji like she latched on to her father and it probably wasn't healthy.

Exectly. I watched the last coupe episodes a month or so ago as someone else here was watching them to to see again why I was so pissed about that ending and came to realize WHY they wrote it the way they did, even though I didn;t agree with it. I'm sure your next write will go into greater detail with it, but yeah, that whole story extension took place because
Taiga wanted to live up to Ryuuji's expectations (whole whole discussion they had at their grandparents house) and to make it a "whole/natural relationship" and marriage prep.
I now understand what they were trying to do and the symbolism behind the shining star, etc, however, it was a frustrating ending from the viewers perpective..

javac

UK Space Dandy Season 2 Unboxing:
The front of the o-card around the box:
Z51seR1.jpg

The back of the o-card around the box:
Pg2y49o.jpg

Spines of the o-card, plus the what the top looks like with the o-card around the box:
K6oBXET.jpg

Font of Box. The image was commissioned for our release and drawn by Space Dandy character designer, Yoshiyuki Ito:
ychgftg.jpg

Back of Box:
0mpPrwr.jpg

The spine of the box:
njxo76Z.jpg

The side of the box where the contents are stored plus the other spine of the o-card:
gin5wev.jpg

The primary sleeve:
fdnvdOg.jpg

The reverse sleeve:
deJePuO.jpg

Discs (Blu-ray comes with two):
SccimTi.jpg

The front of the art book (148 pages):
0fD9g3m.jpg

Inside the book:
QGFkeeu.jpg

20 art cards showcasing art from the Japanese release:
TPGmVRZ.jpg

ghrbHTr.jpg

heciLbk.jpg

hbjMRIV.jpg

Contents:

• Rigid case featuring a design by Yoshiyuki Ito (character designer of Space Dandy) featuring the cast of Space Dandy commissioned exclusively for our release!
  • Amaray case containing the discs. (3 x DVD discs or 2 x Blu-ray discs depending on the version you purchase.)
  • 148 page art book
  • 20 Art Cards showcasing art from the Japanese release artwork of Space Dandy.
Disc contents:

• Episodes 14-26 (with both the English dub and original Japanese audio with subtitles.)
  • Clean Opening and Ending title sequences
  • Digital Art Gallery
  • Space Dandy Trailers
  • Clean ending sequences for episodes 20, 21, 22, 23, 25 & 26.
Out on 24th August.

javac

Timely post there javac.

lol it was fate that brought our comments together! :p

But seriously I'm just the messenger, haven't even seen Space Dandy so I can't comment, but the show looks alright, if the anime industry needs something purged, there's probably more deserving candidates. This whole season would be a start
I kid I kid!

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
The preview for the first BD volume of Monster Musume is out. It has a comparison to the broadcast version to show just how much lewder it is.

Yeah, but Nana is the best romance anime of all time. It doesn't take long to see how great the show is.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily recommend it in a discussion of romantic comedy. Nana gets way too soul crushing for that. But I still think it's a fantastic show, and one that everyone should at least give a chance to. It's just such an incredible show. Even close to a decade later (holy shit, where has time gone), I can still very clearly remember watching it for the first time.

Hapiness charge Precure FINALE + series thoughts

Bravo Toei ..

BRAVO

A magnificent waste of time.

You know what i think i like dokidoki finale better than this one.
Happiness.Charge.Precure.49_01.jpg

you know we might be gods , but we make the same mistakes as humans , see just how godly we are !!! /s
Seiji
Poor guy , you know seiji never bothered me during hapcha, that was because his impact of the show was just right , but he deserved more. when lovely said to mirage that she loved BLUE too , i facepalmed so hard , but that was because it would negate the whole point of seiji... but then things got better , megumi cried , seiji was by her side and i really thought that they would do justice to seiji
They didn't.
What's more annoying is that they went as far as making him a person to be saved and the save was quite good even if it was rough , but it worked. i was happy for seiji.

But you know what seiji , in the end , megumi , the embodiment of LOVE , doesn't care to even advance a little with seiji. i didn't need a confirmation, i just wanted to see their relation ship change a little and it didn't happen WHAT A WASTE, what a missed opportunity.

MIRAGE
Mirage should have been the final vilain.
Mirage, with her past , her motivations should have been the final vilain. it's even more baffling that during 6 episodes where she has been cleansed , she has her fairy and plenty of blue love yet she doesn't do much.What was the point of mirage during the final arc ? Don't ask me , i'm not sure even toei knows.

THE BLU SKY KINGDOM
The best unused plot device.
if it wasn't for 25 secs of standing still pictures , you wouldn't even know that that place is safe again.
Yet it was the place axia was sealed , yet it was the place himelda is from , yet it was even queen mirage headquaters. but hey let's forget about that !

CURE FORTUNE AND CURE TENDER
The only thing that trully worked in this season of precure.
Cure tender is badass , strong , determined and they nailed it.
Cure fortune went throught several arcs , got past her hatred , forgave himelda , was able to get into hapiness charge , saved her sister and did her job perfectly. Heck she even went as far as finding a potential boyfriend. she did everything that megumi should have done and faster

CURE HONEY
A great character but a mixed bag.
Yu yu is adorable , determined , quite strong and did several feats during the season that trully made her usefull. it's a shame she never graduated from "eating together is my hapiness " but even that was ok.
Her song was still good even in the end.

The generals
Forgettable ... heartcatch and smile generals were MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH better , not even a contest

RED
Happiness.Charge.Precure.48_01.jpg
Happiness.Charge.Precure.48_02.jpg

No i'm just ... disapointed by how stupid this finale is.
Unnecessary and badly done.
His motivations sucks , his powers sucks, his method were perfect untill the last arc. He was boring and unnecessary.

CURE FOREVER /LOVELY
i can't even forgive this show , even if it want to sell figures.
That bullsh*t goes against EVERYTHING that made precure great. since the start precure is about being together in order to surpass our limitations. it's a show about friendship, love, conviction. it's a show about growth.

Core forever lovely is nothing of that. everyone made a wish , and like a genkidama , curelovely was granted with haxxors powers. You know it wouldn't have been a problem , if the same wish was made and they all 4 worked together to bring down thier ennemy , but the final strech is all to the glory of curelovely. WHY , why ? what about teamwork , what about the rest of the values the show tries to uphold ? it's nowhere to be seen !
i'm impressed, cure lovely solved all 3 major threats by huging them and that's it .she's so full of love , she can't even spare a bit for herself. the show acknowledges this , but they do sh*t with that. it's not SOLVED i REPEAT , this character is broken on the inside, yet they do sh*t to correct this. I'm amazed. when phantom tried, when seiji tried , when red tried it was freaking obvious. the show is so immersed with the bullsh*t they can't even adress the giant character plot hole they've created. WTF.

Megumi mother ? " it's alright " << WAIT WHAT ? that's it .. you can't just close a pillar of a character motivation by " it's allright" and be done with it.

Too many decisions bring this show down . what could have been a 9/10 season barely made it a 5/10..being an absolute fan of precure , watching every episode every week since the very start of futari wa , this season made me stop. i can't forgive it

At least i'll be able to enjoy fortune, honey and princess in the all stars movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom