• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
He Jared from subway'd

cBj1LTf.png

I read Getenrou, by the author of And Yet the Town Moves, a couple of days ago and thought it was really good (better than And Yet the Town Moves, that's for sure).

Getenrou is indeed an excellent manga, with an incredible breadth of storytelling within its few chapters. I'm not sure I'd call it better than And Yet the Town Moves, considering the latter has more time to elaborate on its large cast and setting and create a rich, living, breathing world with continual inventiveness - I'd rather call it differently well-made.

It'd work really well as an OVA or a film because of its tight story and short length, and I'm sad it hasn't gotten one yet. I know that a lot of anime adaptions of properties that started as mangas are made solely to promote the manga, but it does seem odd to me that many adaptions seem to be covering material that is serialised and, in some cases, unfinished. Even if a manga is finished, an adaption would still serve to promote it, as we can see with Ushio and Tora this season. There's a whole wealth of manga out there that, while they probably wouldn't work as a televised series, would work really well as a movie or OVA, so why doesn't it seem like there are many being adapted these days? Am I simply not looking in the right places? Is it viewed that, financially, it's only worth adapting a manga if it's going to be televised?

It's clear why more anime adapts ongoing serialized manga/LN than finished ones - if a franchise is ongoing than it's still active and there are a lot more opportunities for cross-promotion and merchandise than a franchise that hasn't received any new products in a long time. From a producer's perspective, anime is rarely meant to be entirely self-contained, but as one prong of a larger promotional effort which may include manga, novels, live action films/TV, games, live events, music CDs, figures, and other kinds of merchandise. Many of the companies on the production committees that fund anime have their primary business in one of these other fields and are supporting the anime in the hopes that it'll increase their profits of what they primarily sell. Anime is rarely financially successful enough on its own that it can justify company investment without using it as a promotional vehicle. The current Ushio and Tora TV adaptation is an exception to the general rule.

That said, there are stand-alone films which adapt manga - Saint Young Men, Miss Hokusai, and Doukyuusei, for example. So what you want does exist; you just won't find them in abundance.

Eccentric Family 03

I think I liked this episode a bit better, I enjoy the MC/Ben Ten stuff more then the other stuff. Still, I don't know if I am enjoying this a lot. Should I stick with it?

I would encourage you to stick with it, as there are some incredible episodes and scenes coming up, but it's not as if the show becomes substantially different or better. If for whatever reason you aren't enjoying it now, it's unlikely that you'll change your mind down the road. (But always possible!)

7 episodes into FMA Brotherhood... this show has gotten DARK on some occasions. I had no idea. The scene with the guy trying to transmutate a chimera was some real shit. The subject matter, style and pacing reminded me of Rorschach's origin story in Watchmen.

I love it though.

Also, the flashback scene where they try to resurrect their mother was one of the greatest animated sequences I've ever seen.

phaze

Brace yourself for people saying first ~10 episodes of Brotherhood are shit as they rush the material the 2003 adaptation already went through.

These people are right.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I imagine you could splice together FMA (original) and FMA Brotherhood in a way that all of it got told with enough room to breathe. But FMA:B is like 10 billion times better even if you had never seen the original and had to deal with them skipping through shit from the 2003 adaptation.

Ascheroth

7 episodes into FMA Brotherhood... this show has gotten DARK on some occasions. I had no idea. The scene with the guy trying to transmutate a chimera was some real shit. The subject matter, style and pacing reminded me of Rorschach's origin story in Watchmen.

I love it though.

Also, the flashback scene where they try to resurrect their mother was one of the greatest animated sequences I've ever seen.

You're in for an awesome ride. FMA: Brotherhood is amazing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Brace yourself for people saying first ~10 episodes of Brotherhood are shit as they rush the material the 2003 adaptation already went through.

These people are right.
I guess this is like how people who never saw Hyouka 11.5 didn't miss anything... I thought the early episodes of Brotherhood were well paced for what happened. The meat of the story is the conspiracy, and taking 20-something episodes to get there would have felt quite slow to me.

(Although I did enjoy the "travel" aspect of that first arc)

Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA 2wei Herz! 01

I tried to finish the first episode but then FBI broke into my house and confiscated my computer =/

That's a tough question. Anime comedy seems to stick with the straight man routine or shouting reactions at whatever is going on.

Gintama would probably be my answer but it ain't no Arrested Development. Nichibros wasn't consistent enough. And besides those I can't think off the top of my head what could stand toe to toe with them. Seitokai Yakuindomo is basically a toned down version of that ecchi show airing this season about sex topics.

Gintama is at least on par with The Simpsons, Futurama and It's Always Sunny for me. The jokes just fit the style of humor I like perfectly.

Cromartie and Nichibros are pretty good too.

Rewatch Kill la Kill 19-24

Ugh why is Ryuko the protagonist when Satsuki is such a better character.

Honestly the 1st couple of episodes Ryuko was pretty cool but then Satsuki began overshadowing her around the Mako episode.

Firemind

That's a tough question. Anime comedy seems to stick with the straight man routine or shouting reactions at whatever is going on.

Gintama would probably be my answer but it ain't no Arrested Development.
Exactly. The highs of Nichijou were high, but the lows were the lowest of the low. The child professor/robot maid/straight cat dynamic should have been one skit at most, but it went on and on and on and in the end it consumed nearly half of the show's air time. That is inexcusable. It showed because it bombed commercially.

kewlmyc

The lack of Cromartie High School and Azumanga Daioh in a topic of funniest anime is depressing.

NVM, someone did mention Cromartie. Nichibros was also fantastic, and Nichijio was great too even if some skits fell flat on their face. I want to get into Gintama but 200+ episodes scares me away.

Lewd finds a way

I guess so. So weird.

He Jared from subway'd

Lol. Wow.

he posted about Shiro and Izuna bathing and how it was a beautiful thing iirc

That's... a comment.

If the main appeal were something other than the fanservice, would it be so prevalent?

I think it's a way to hook another demographic. It was by certainly no means the thing that kept bringing people back. At least, that's not why I watched it.

If that was the main appeal then why did they need the pathetic pandering nonsense.

To attract more people to it? Like I said, to me that wasn't the main appeal. I didn't feel strongly about those scenes either way except when they over stayed their welcome. The main appeal was the games and the unique rules behind each one. It was engaging.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Good critique on art is not about what the audience necessarily wants though, but how effective it is at accomplishing what it wants to express. This applies to all forms of art, including literature. If someone reads a collection of poetry and concludes that it is only good for people who like "flowery language" and that it is boring because it lacks "dialogue and character development" or whatever, is that good critique on any realistic level? Of course not.
There are complications with viewing art based on what it sets out to express. How does one accurately gauge and evaluate what the artist intends? This can lead to many presumptions that may or may not even be particularly relevant. And then the question enters on the validity of the author's intent, and how relevant that is in contrast to the emotional response one has to an artistic work. Modern critical analysis has actually attempted to move away from the rigid meaning and interpretation that exists with fully respecting authorial intent. This is actually one of the rare cases "deconstruction" could be properly used within this thread. :)

If we want to go broader: intertextuality, or the whole sum of existing texts and artistic works also has a sway and influence on personal interpretation that exists outside of what an author could ever intend. This is part of why such a wide range of interpretations are able to exist on any given artistic topic. I often feel that authorial intent matters most within the context of other works that influence the artist, as this can unlock a deeper understanding of the how and why for what is being expressed. Being informed is very useful though. This is part of why I find revisiting works to be a positive experience. Reevaluation becomes infinitely more meaningful when personal perspectives shift over time with gained knowledge.

Ascheroth

The lack of Cromartie High School and Azumanga Daioh in a topic of funniest anime is depressing.

NVM, someone did mention Cromartie. Nichibros was also fantastic, and Nichijio was great too even if some skits fell flat on their face. I want to get into Gintama but 200+ episodes scares me away.

You should look at it this way: Instead of thinking "200+ episodes, ugh. I'm never going to be able to watch all of this." you should think "200+ episodes, hell yeah. I'm never going to run out of quality entertainment!"
It's about the journey, not the destination :)
Gintama isn't a show you can marathon anyway. And it's not a show you NEED to marathon. It's episodic by nature and even the arcs it does have are never longer then 2-4 episodes. I'd say just watch an episode now and then.
And I'm repeating what probably everyone else already said a few times: It's a slow start. Gintamas comedy heavily relies on it's characters and it takes a while until most of them are introduced. I remeber that many say it's after about 20 episodes where the show kicks into high gear. That's not the say the earlier episodes are bad or boring, just that they can't hold a candle to the later stuff.

Cornbread78

Ore Monogatari ep.20
Ok, one of these episodes Suna has to hook up with a chick. Such a best bro, buy he's gotta get his now that Takeo is taken care of. Just more sticky sweet cuteness from thus lovey dovey couple.

I overall quite enjoyed Nichijou while I couldn't offer Nichibros a damned smile, though I eventually stopped watching it all together I think. Honestly, there was nothing memorable about that show for me and it may just be relatively weak direction. Stuff like the literature girl isn't bad conceptually but I just didn't find the presentation funny whatsoever.

Nichijou's humor isn't mine either necessarily, but it deliver plenty times in spite of that, which is rather commendable.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ore Monogatari ep.20
Ok, one of these episodes Suna has to hook up with a chick. Such a best bro, buy he's gotta get his now that Takeo is taken care of. Just more sticky sweet cuteness from thus lovey dovey couple.
I could have sworn they were going to pair him off with the rejected girl, but then they showed white haired girl right at the end.
I have Windows photo viewer opened up and every now and again when I feel stressed I just press left and right on these two pictures. It makes me feel happy.

kek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom