• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

All caught up on Gate now. It's funny how the one show that I dropped thinking it was going to be trash, turned out to be one of my favourites this season after watching all 8 episodes in 2 days.

Told ya, lol. It's just a lot of fun to watch. Hopefully, they keep the same tone through the rest of the series and it doesn't go to shit at some point.

Im starting to get turned off by it because i can see where its headed. Oh well, theres only 4 more episodes to go right?

24 episodes.

Yup, welcome to 1988.

Yeah. And obligatory:

TH6TTcL.jpg

Told ya, lol. It's just a lot of fun to watch. Hopefully, they keep the same tone through the rest of the series and it doesn't go to shit at some point.
True, a lot can happen in the next 16 episodes lol. We are only 1/3 into the story pretty much. Still what we got so far is great. Loving how the two different sides communicate and react to each other. The comedic bits are pretty good too, and so is every member of the cast. Itami may seem like a loser but I think that deep down he definitely knows what he's doing.

By the way has this ever happened to you guys with any show? I've been watching Arslan every week. This week I started the episode only to close the window and move on. On episode 20, with only a few episodes left, I just don't feel like watching it anymore.

Cornbread78

True, a lot can happen in the next 16 episodes lol. We are only 1/3 into the story pretty much. Still what we got so far is great. Loving how the two different sides communicate and react to each other. The comedic bits are pretty good too, and so is every memner of the cast. Itami may seem like a loser but I think that deep down he definitely knows what he's doing.

That is basically what that while section was about when he met with the officials back in Japan the last episode. He likes to play the slacker, lol.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure 19

"GERMAN SCIENCE IS THE STRONGEST IN THE WORLD!"

And then is immediately owned
. So I got a good laugh out of that.

Other than that, it was another fun episode. Seems like the show is getting ready for the final confrontation.

Cornbread78

Gangsta ep.8
Ally bringing down the house with the tune. You gotta love the contact ass shit as she was
singing
, lol. We are still learning more and more about the way the city works 8 episodes in. Question, was that possibly
Ally's little brother
trying to get into the club after hearing her sing?

Can I add that I love the use of sign language in the anime. It's the first time I've ever seen it used, but it fits.

Actually, I am 1-7

Was watching this before I was putting dents into the Jojo watchbet. It's entertaining enough. Getting some strong Rosario + Vampire vibes from it though. But I did get some great laughs from episode 4 and 5 so I will continue to watch but it's not topping the charts for anything I am watching this season.

Cornbread78

Actually, I am 1-7

Was watching this before I was putting dents into the Jojo watchbet. It's entertaining enough. Getting some strong Rosario + Vampire vibes from it though. But I did get some great laughs from episode 4 and 5 so I will continue to watch but it's not topping the charts for anything I am watching this season.

It's funny to watch, but it's not going to win any awards, lol. Plus, the manga is ongoing, b so it just another "promo anime" so you start reading the remaining material as it comes out. I still really enjoy watching it every week. Monday's are good with Shirayuki-hime and this one together.

Shimoneta Episode 8

This show continues to amaze me. I'm glad the little girl ended up being devious. The characters are what really makes this show and it would be a shame if we got such a simple cliche without going to the extreme.

Rokka Episode 8

Adlet got out of the frying pan and went into the furnace. Chamot is most likely not the seventh brave but is definitely the greatest wild card of them all in terms of sheer threat of power. I'm glad Hans is on Adlet's side now as they make a great team. It'll be interesting to see if something diffuses this conflict right now before someone gets killed.

javac

I just got done watching five more episodes of Space Cobra, the first of which I have to admit was a bit weaker, but I mean, leading off of Rugball is no easy task, that shit was the stuff made of legends. In Episode 20, Cobra and Lady arrive on a Planet that is made up of a sea of sand. As Cobra chills at the bar a few patrons argue with an old man who's playing his instrument. Turns out that old man was a part of a tribe known as the Swordians and as Cobra and Lady return to the city after a little drive, they arrive to what looks like a ghost town where everyone who was there hours earlier are now dead. Cobra and Lady encounter a horde of Swordians but after a little fight they discover their weak point. They return to their ship only to find it wrecked with refugees aboard and head out together to get parts in order to fix the ship.
Episode 20 concludes however the next one, Episode 21 continues with the Swordians as Cobra and Lady get captured and locked up on the mother ship. A decent pair of episodes with some fun action and a great end battle with a cool gimick, almost felt like some Dark Souls shit. I had fun, but it was no Rugball.
In Episode 22, Cobra and Lady stop at Planet Rifle (sick name for a planet) in order to meet up with Jingoro, the man who built Cobra's ship, the Turtle 5 years ago. His daughter Yuko is also 20 now and with that little nugget of information, Cobra wastes no time and heads out. However, shits gone down on the planet and so Cobra heads out to rescue Yuko from the Guild. A fun episode with plenty of vehicular chases and great animation as always.
Cobra and Dominique chill on a boat with a great view in Episode 23, lucky guy! While admiring the Queen Carady, a massive boat filled with lot of money, they hear an explosion and in unison the ship goes down. Cobra and Dominique put a hold on their little break in order to see what's going on. On the way to the wreckage they encounter some hot girls who give them trouble, kidnapping Dominique and injuring Cobra. Cobra figures out what’s going down and heads off to rescue his Snow White. Another great episode that I thoroughly enjoyed. Great animation, fun set pieces and great action. A lot of cuties are killed however, man what a waste. A very James Bond-esque episode, meaning fun with loads of gadgets.
Episode 24 is the last one that I watched today and it’s a strange one. Cobra heads off to the Galactic Union Bank in order to steal some stuff from the Guild. While roaming the streets however he walks through a market, in particular a robot market where robots are being sold. Most of them a garbage but Cobra comes across one in particular that looks like a little baby, and with its child-like stare he ultimately ends up purchasing it. A hand is attached to the robot, but Cobra dismisses it as he's creeped out and shoots the handcuffs off, separating the two. The robot he bought doesn't remember much and after Cobra and Lady sleep, the robot seemingly disappears. Cobra couldn't care less and wants to head for the Bank, but on the way he finds out that all the humans are being wiped out by the robots. An episode with a lot of death, a seemingly impossible baddie, a strange story and a Gainax Ending, definitely one I won't be forgetting anytime soon. A filler episode to make way for the next one, for sure, but I enjoyed it a lot.
And with that, I have 7 episodes left, all of which I will watch tomorrow in order to conclude my Space Cobra viewing. Can't wait.

javac

is he swimming while smoking a cigarette?

*adds to list*

You have a keen eye Admiral, why yes he is! Space Cobra is amazing, you need to watch it when you get the time. Classic Dezaki awesomeness. The OP to whet your appetite. Good stuff man, good stuff.
He uses his cigar to breathe underwater in the movie. Truly the best.
*Nods in approval*. Truly resourceful that Cobra is.

Squishy3

Gintama Reaper Arc 279-281

That was pretty good. I understand the posts now about how the first episode of the arc looked really different than normal Gintama. The backgrounds were all super detailed and the characters looked extremely out of place because of it. (The shot of Gintoki walking down the street drunk was super detailed, and there were some closeups on objects that reminded me of the hyper-detailed objects you'd see in Shinkai films) Had to have been some different background artists or the current ones really stepped it up. I also really dig the style they used for Asaemon's flashbacks.

With how long they drew out the Hitotsubashi Nobunobu reveal I expected it to be a super heel-turn with Shigeshige (the current Shogun) being the most evil and suddenly competent motherfucker ever. I'd have fucking lost it if that was the case, because we'd have gotten Gintoki's iconic "IT'S THE SHOGUN" face.

Sterok

Aikatsu 147

So are we actually going to see a proper Aikatsu 8 performance or not? I wasn't a fan of the last one, but this one has a solid cast. The descendant of Dracula demands her time in the spotlight. Or is that the movie? That would make sense I guess, since it follows the pattern the Starmiya Festival set. So instead of getting an epic dance we focus on the one important person that didn't make it. Well I do like Hinaki. She never really feels like she's angsting though. We're told she has troubles, but they're barely noticeable. Luminas is a decent name (why is it misspelled though?), and a decent parallel to Soleil, seeing how they both are light related. Nice song as well. So is the Great Starlight Festival going to close out the season? Seems odd to finish it on something that barely got any hype, considering how much attention the Starlight Queen Cup and beating Double M got in the previous seasons.

Well next episode we get more Powa Powa Puririn, and once again I shall be disappointed when Shion does not get her proper attention like she most surely deserves. Sad, but I expect it by now-HOLD ON A MINUTE! HOLD ON A FUCKING MINUTE! I glanced at some older stuff and realized something's not right. I thought Shion never got a dance because she's a relatively minor character who wouldn't be making many appearances, so they didn't want to bother spending the money making her a CG model. Lame, but sort of a respectable business decision. Until I remembered that freaking Hikari got a proper dance all the way back in early season 1. Hikari. The girl who literally only exists now to remind us that she exists. The girl who barely got half an episode of focus. Compared to Shion who has been fairly important and reoccurring throughout the series and is even in one of the main trios, yet missed many opportunities for a proper dance. From Star Anis to that season 2 episode to the movie, she's always denied her spotlight for the most arbitrary of reasons. Does someone on the staff hate her or something? Because I don't get the logic that Hikari is allowed a dance, but Shion isn't.

fertygo

Aikatsu 147

Well next episode we get more Powa Powa Puririn, and once again I shall be disappointed when Shion does not get her proper attention like she most surely deserves. Sad, but I expect it by now-HOLD ON A MINUTE! HOLD ON A FUCKING MINUTE! I glanced at some older stuff and realized something's not right. I thought Shion never got a dance because she's a relatively minor character who wouldn't be making many appearances, so they didn't want to bother spending the money making her a CG model. Lame, but sort of a respectable business decision. Until I remembered that freaking Hikari got a proper dance all the way back in early season 1. Hikari. The girl who literally only exists now to remind us that she exists. The girl who barely got half an episode of focus. Compared to Shion who has been fairly important and reoccurring throughout the series and is even in one of the main trios, yet missed many opportunities for a proper dance. From Star Anis to that season 2 episode to the movie, she's always denied her spotlight for the most arbitrary of reasons. Does someone on the staff hate her or something? Because I don't get the logic that Hikari is allowed a dance, but Shion isn't.

Its her "gimmick" I'd guess, bet its became insider joke among fan.

BluWacky

Lupin III - 2nd series (Red Jacket)
Like everything else though, it's fairly inconsistent and two episodes (145 and 155) looked particularly great in basically every category.

As you're probably aware, these are Hayao Miyazaki's episodes of the series.

Interesting summary. I wish I could like Lupin; the character's relentlessly sleazeball nature always puts me off a series that seems to have a lot of interesting ideas in pretty much any format. I've yet to even watch more than about five minutes of Cagliostro!

phaze

You know phaze...

...you could stop right now.

...you could just stop, and walk away.

I ... I can't.

Cause I finished the show proper before and left this bonus episode for the last. You could say Brynhildr dropped me before I managed to drop it. The ultimate insult.

Mushishi 08

Didn't really feel this one much, probably cause the reasons for actions of the main protagonist of the story seemed undercooked and underwhelming.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I'm so far behind qq I should just become a normie already

Shirobako 13

New project hype. New OP hype

poor miyamori

win-win

clouds and jets are fucking deep son

new ED is fucking amazing

Parasyte 13

This is an amazing predicament, a literal dichotomy of desire and necessity

really really amazingly paced and directed episode

Three Fallen Witnesses

I guess it was kind of an interesting premise and music but visually this was really ugly as fuck. Also kind of a mess story-wise too. Sadly this is probably the first original Nihon Animator Mihonichi short that left me really underwhelmed.
----

Okay here we go. Time to finish these fuckers.

Blood-C 12 END

THE BIG REVEAL

Fumito
is a pretty shitty scientist. that experimental setup started out good but involving yourself in the experiment? tsk tsk, shoddy science.

snitches get stitches yo

lmao her dad

some pretty sick swordfighting though

lol look at this 'come and get some' stance and then gets wiped in a sec

what the fuck are you doing scrub

all these monster running through the street fucking lol it's like AoT but more shittly drawn

clickly clack into our sacks wow they came up with some AMAZING deaths here. Reverse Santa Clause? Check. Corn on the cob? Check. Twist off cap? Check. Olives on your fingers? Check. Food processor? Check.

BOOM HEADSHOT

so
the bad guys win
? I don't even give a fuck

anyways, so that's the end. Kinda a great end that made up for the shows utter stupidity in the beginning in the most glorious of fashions. Overall it looked fairly good thoughout, with a kinda tedious middle, but more blood and gore than you can shake a stick at and would make Dethklok go 'woah that's way too brutal' before ending in comical territory that makes Another look serious. But basically it's a pretty fun, bloody ride. idk, I kinda liked it.

Arjuna 13 END

'if only i had realized it soon' no if only Chris wasn't a fucker and actually told you what the fuck was going on

'you fool' NO FUCK YOU FOOL

fuck this kid

i don't even know what's going on anymore

so Raja are
like the Earth antibodies? then what was the fucking point of Juna?

this is no normal Raja this is...an ULTRARAJA dun-dun-dun

Magic Hawk down

lol wut

BOOB MOUNTAINS

NATURE JEDI

WE ARE ONEEEEEEEEEEEEE

since when could you all see them, fuckers

lol if they could be
eaten then why were't you fuckers eating it
lololollololol

this a long fucking outro.

Finally The End of Arjuna. Hallelujah! Brothers and Sisters, I have seen the error of my nihilistic, human, environment-raping ways! jk fuck this whole fucking show.

VEWhBSC.gif

Articalys

The newest Animator Expo feature Endless Night was fantastic. Probably in my top five for the project so far. Great animation + great song from Mikako Komatsu.

phaze

I'm so far behind qq I should just become a normie already

Blood-C 12 END

anyways, so that's the end. Kinda a great end that made up for the shows utter stupidity in the beginning in the most glorious of fashions. Overall it looked fairly good thoughout, with a kinda tedious middle, but more blood and gore than you can shake a stick at and would make Dethklok go 'woah that's way too brutal' before ending in comical territory that makes Another look serious. But basically it's a pretty fun, bloody ride. idk, I kinda liked it.

Sold !

And what an apt gif.

Mailbox

My bluray of anohana (and black lagoon) came a few days ago

Decided to watch a few (5) episodes of anohana on bluray finally. Since this was my third time watching the series again, I know what I'm in for, but man, I'm in a bummer mood because of it.

Great series but damn, no matter how much you watch it you always feel something.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 134:

Ah yes, at last one of the Sailor Guardians gets a focus episode, took bloody long enough, and the random winner this time around is Makoto who ends up with quite honestly the blandest and most manufactured episode I have seen in quite awhile. This time around the plot construct is surrounding one of those mysterious childhood friends that we have never heard of up until this week and I will give them points for the handwave this time around as that was actually a creative and logical reason for this author of Pegasus to have never come up before. Outside of that, this episode was so vanilla that I ended up doing some work while watching on and off, it isn't bad but just insanely forgettable. Mild recommendation to whatever.

And now, for a thing I heard unironically in the "wtf has happened to anime" thread.

"Terra Formars has been great, but I hear the anime is terribly censored. I read the manga. I've read up till #7. I recommend that, but even then I wish we had more like it."

Goodbye life. Our romance was a fleeting but passionate one.

Barney's_film.png

Yeah, that was hilarious. At first it was the typical "the old times were the best" post full of nostalgia, how the classics of the 90s were great and now it's all meh, and I started recommending him some more recent series, but then he finished with the Terra Formars comment and I was like, "reallyyy?"

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Super S: Episode 135

Here we go, in contrast to the white noise that was last episode, this one decides to mostly eschew the format and actually advance things. This week Tiger Eye decides to think outside the box and connect some dots after asking about the nature of the Pegasus in the real world. It is actually the kind of information that would have been handy the first time they tried to use the Sailor Guardians to capture Pegasus. As a side note, the Anime incarnation of the Eyes I think have become my favorite quirky mini boss squad. Also, for what it is worth, we learn that Fish Eye is the first canonically gay villain since Zoisite and Kunzite which is why he hasn't been out in the field yet since they have been targeting women exclusively. The victim of the week is also more interesting then the usual fare as she poses a plight that this show hasn't done before, a teacher failing to connect with her students and that actually feeds into the larger plot. After the usual dalliance of events the trap is sprung and the Lemur manages to infiltrate the dream world of Chibiusa and things get philosophical as the Lemur tries to corrupt the dreamer and the dream, but Chibiusa shows she has grown as a chracter and acts like a hero and the day is won and we have a bit of a shift as Pegasus shifts out of the dream and into some sort of magic container thing so that more time can be spent intensifying bonds. Recommendation to watch.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I'm so far behind

Blood-C 12 END

THE BIG REVEAL

Fumito
is a pretty shitty scientist. that experimental setup started out good but involving yourself in the experiment? tsk tsk, shoddy science.

snitches get stitches yo

lmao her dad

some pretty sick swordfighting though

lol look at this 'come and get some' stance and then gets wiped in a sec

what the fuck are reet fucking lol it's like AoT but more shittly drawn

clickly clack into our sacks wow they came up with some AMAZING deaths here. Reverse Santa Clause? Check. Corn on the cob? Check. Twist off cap? Check. Olives on your fingers? Check. Food processor? Check.

BOOM HEADSHOT

so
the bad guys win
? I don't even give a fuck

[/IMG]
There'a movie sequel :^)

Prison School 7

Gakuto best bro. The guan yu of our time.

Gate 8

Respect your elder. And this is the part where the author really show which political party he is on

duckroll

The newest Animator Expo feature Endless Night was fantastic. Probably in my top five for the project so far. Great animation + great song from Mikako Komatsu.

What are some of your other favorites? I think it's pretty cool how there's a wide variety of different stuff they have in the lineup, so for most people the ones they like most tend to be different.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
AllTheAnime (that UK anime distributor) has apparently had talks with Sunrise.

Quite obviously Xenoglossia, the UK's most anticipated* anime is finally coming. You heard it here first.

*as voted for in TotesReal UK Anime Mag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom