• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh man gonna start until dawn tonight

will he be able to sleep tonight? Will he call for senpai to rescue him? We'll find out
Probably gonna buy it when it goes down in price (because we all know it will). Love me some cheesy B-tier young adult horror flicks. Tons of silly dialogue, silly choices, sex, alcohol, all that clichéd stuff.

Being able to change the outcome of how many of them survive based on your choices is cool, because unlike when you watch these kinds of movies, if they choose to do something dumb, it's most likely because you chose it LOL.

Akagami no Shirayukihime - 08

Huh, with that beginning I was expecting this to be a lighthearted episode with everyone drunk. The lost potential of not expanding on drunk Shirayuki x Garack made me very disappointed.
Flashback was alright, although predictable. I'm starting to like Izana more and more, he's not so bad after all. I wouldn't mind seeing a flashback for Kiki, even if it would mean less Shirayuki time.
3f7dXqn.jpg

hnnngg

NeonZ

Lupin III - Third series (Pink Jacket) - Episode 13

Did Oshii somehow direct a Lupin episode? No, his name isn't in the credits. Still, this episode seems to have come straight from the 2nd half of Oshii's Urusei Yatsura. It's the only episode of the third series written by Seijun Suzuki, who was a supervising director for the Lupin Red Jacket series.

Anyway, this episode shares a similar dreamlike atmosphere and oddly dark themes compared to the standard stories of the show, like Oshii's later Urusei Yatsura episodes, however, it also has moments that feel very standard for the show, which is why I'm comparing it specifically to those tv episodes.

The episode starts as a very usual story, with Zenigata going after a disguised Lupin, who escapes with the help of his friends, although it takes a while to get him out of superglue. Fujiko soon appears, and although he was unmotivated, he decided to go along with her newest scheme.

Even before the episode's actual twist is revealed, there's a surprising visual image when
the castle pictured above turns out to be a space shuttle (it's actually a space ship, but whatever).
The "victims" of Fujiko's plan this time, rich women from around the world gather in a huge party in Madam Luisa's castle. They're portrayed as downright inhuman,
admiring weapons sold around the world by companies from their various countries while watching them being used in conflicts, seemingly completely not bothered by the loss of human life right in front of them.

Either way, seemingly in usual fashion, Lupin also is betrayed by Fujiko. A guerrilla, working for Fujiko, takes all women, who become their hostages, alongside Lupin. Zenigata receives a call from Interpol to take over the mission, but only decides to go after hearing about Lupin's presence there.

No one pays Lupin's ransom, and Fujiko decides to execute him. Obviously, Lupin escapes due to an unforeseen element and starts investigating what was going in that place and who's the true mastermind behind it all, with several odd encounters along the way.

When the story proper starts, crows are a big recurring visual motif this episode, or even actual characters, although the script doesn't seem to ever actually explain their existence. They're associated with the natural "flow" of things, like the wind itself. Lupin himself is also associated with them a couple of times in the episode. Either way, there isn't an actual explanation for their odd presence here in the script. On the other hand, Fujiko's and Luisa's side of the story is approached more directly, although it develops in a rather dark direction. In spite of the dream-like scenes and darker tone of the main story, this episode goes right back to Lupin's usual tone for most of the scenes involving Zenigata.

The very final shot of the episode,
where Lupin and a crow face each other, Lupin's eyes shinning for a moment, before the crow is heard flying away
is unclear and ambiguous, although I think that's the one point where the story went unnecessarily obscure with its imagery. It didn't look particularly good, nor seemed to add any actual mystery or theme to the story.

Cornbread78

Actually, I Am ep.8
It's funny how they move the plot along last, then this week, we get a wacky off-the-wall comedy episode with all the girls and cooking. I mean, it was funny stuff, but just felt out of place. I guess that's what we get when they are just promotin the manga.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Lupin III - Third series (Pink Jacket) - Episode 13

Did Oshii somehow direct a Lupin episode? No, his name isn't in the credits. Still, this episode seems to have come straight from the 2nd half of Oshii's Urusei Yatsura. It's the only episode of the third series written by Seijun Suzuki, who was a supervising director for the Lupin Red Jacket series.
Seijun Suzuki was also a fairly notable and well-regarded director of live action films during the Japanese new wave period. He ended up in anime because he got blacklisted from the live action industry after suing Nikkatsu for terminating his contract after making too many "incomprehensible" movies, lol.

Branded to Kill (the movie that got him fired from Nikkatsu) is super cool too, recommended watch. I need to check out his other stuff. He also directed the Pink Jacket movie, Legend of the Gold of Babylon.

ibyea

Banned
Thinking of what to spend my Barnes and Noble gift card on, I remembered Jexhius's post on the book Anime A History and it was really interesting so I got this for myself:

HnB36U0m.jpg

GKIDS have acquired and plan to release the hit Studio Ghibli film, Only Yesterday with an all new English Dub both theatrically in the US as well as on Blu-ray. Its release will coincide with the films 25th Anniversary. Only Yesterday is a film Directed by Isao Takahata and centres on Taeko Okajima, a 27 year old office lady who goes off on a break to the countryside where she reminiscences about her past as well thinks about her future. The film is an animated adaptation of the manga by Hotaru Okamoto.

Variety.com

Nice to finally get this film over here. Now if we can just get Ocean Waves released here' we will finally have every Studio Ghibli film on DVD/BD in North America.

So I'm back at college.

First night here, so time to stay in my room all night, ignoring all social opportunities (other than this one obviously), and make my roommates question my psychological wellness.

...and then we begin the next step...

I'm lying of course. This actually isn't going according to any plan. I'm just anxious as fuck. And all my roommates know each other.

Also, did Snow White with the Red Hair (God that English title is not gonna work. Funi is probably gonna change that) actually advance the romance/plot?

Because I dropped it after two episodes when it seemed like fuck all was gonna happen, and nothing is worse than a romance where fuck all happens.

Cornbread78

Shirayuki-hime ep.8
Wel damn, I wasn't expecting that type if action in this anime. Prince Zen did not have an easy time of growing up. It makes you wonder how he can even trust Shirayuki in the present day. Well, thankfully, he learned trust those around him again.

Because I dropped it after two episodes when it seemed like fuck all was gonna happen, and nothing is worse than a romance where fuck all happens.
Haven't read the manga, but since this already has a second season slated for 2016 I bet it won't go too far. Maybe a single kiss on the last episode or something? I mean it's clear as day that they like each other. Even the 2 of them friggin know it. But this is anime, so idk.

Haven't read the manga, but since this already has a second season slated for 2016 I bet it won't go too far. Maybe a single kiss on the last episode or something? I mean it's clear as day that they like each other. Even the 2 of them friggin know it. But this is anime, so idk.

I'm pretty sure I stopped reading and they had gotten really far by japanese standards. I mean they
held hands after much embarassment

which in anime makes them like married.

It wasn't a bad manga, it just didn't bring much to the table and I'm tired of INDIRECT KISSU romantic stories.

I'm pretty sure I stopped reading and they had gotten really far by japanese standards. I mean they
held hands after much embarassment

which in anime makes them like married.

It wasn't a bad manga, it just didn't bring much to the table and I'm tired of INDIRECT KISSU romantic stories.
Lol the "which in anime makes them married" part is so true though. It would be nice to have more "normal" romances in anime and just cut through all the bullshit. I mean don't get me wrong, I love my silly Rom-Coms and some of the "bullshit" can be good and make the plot interesting when done well. But 9/10 times it's always the same old stuff.

I'm trying to think of shows that actually had characters fuck in recent animes, and I can think of two.

Garo and Future Diary.

And let's be honest, that second one doesn't count, I mean, it's Yuki.

That's sad.

I already know when two characters are about to bang, some kind of cockblock will appear. It's a written rule for all anime. We had that happen this season in
Shimoneta
too.

NeonZ

Seijun Suzuki was also a fairly notable and well-regarded director of live action films during the Japanese new wave period. He ended up in anime because he got blacklisted from the live action industry after suing Nikkatsu for terminating his contract after making too many "incomprehensible" movies, lol.

Branded to Kill (the movie that got him fired from Nikkatsu) is super cool too, recommended watch. I need to check out his other stuff. He also directed the Pink Jacket movie, Legend of the Gold of Babylon.

That makes me look forward to Gold of Babylon, although I've heard it had production problems. I might check out your other recommendation too, if it isn't impossible to find.

I'm deep into FMA Brotherhood now, and damn if this isn't one of the greatest shows I've ever seen.

I fucking love the cast. Side characters like Colonel Mustang and Major Armstrong get lots of time to shine. Armstrong is just amazing in general.

The episode where Mustang, Alphonse and some others battle Lust is one of the best single cartoon episodes ever.

I love how cold and focused your eyes are. I look forward to the day when those eyes will be wide with agony. It's coming. It's coming.

I got legit chills from that.

I'm deep into FMA Brotherhood now, and damn if this isn't one of the greatest shows I've ever seen.

I fucking love the cast. Side characters like Colonel Mustang and Major Armstrong get lots of time to shine. Armstrong is just amazing in general.

The episode where Mustang, Alphonse and some others battle Lust is one of the best single cartoon episodes ever.

I love how cold and focused your eyes are. I look forward to the day when those eyes will be wide with agony. It's coming. It's coming.

I got legit chills from that.
Brotherhood is way up there on my list of favourite anime. I watched it dubbed and it was fucking perfect.

Cornbread78

I'm trying to think of shows that actually had characters fuck in recent animes, and I can think of two.

Garo and Future Diary.

That's sad.

We had a running list a couple months ago with this debate:

White Album 2, Cross Ange as well and the are a couple more as well. Oh, Fruit of Grisaia.

javac

Anime rarely deals with relationships in a respectful manner, if ever. Its hard to find anything that deals with love in a realistic manner that treats the people with respect. I guess there's manga for that. Not to say that they aren't any that do so, so you can put those lists you're frothing at the mouth to post in order to prove me wrong down, I'm just saying.

Cornbread78

I totally forgot about Itazura na Kiss. They start their relationship on H.S and it carries well into adult life (yes, sex happens along the way in a very tasteful way) like Clannad. Only difference is the MC in Itazura is the biggest tsundere douche for 3/4 of the series and finally grows up much later in the relationship.

hey at least you're being calm about your distaste for it. Others in GAF seem to lose their head anytime the show is mentioned.

It's pure trash, but an experience for sure. Definitely, no reason to go crazy about it. Plus, I'd take Makoto over 90% of the anime male harem leads out there. At least he knows what he wants and goes for it and doesn't get nose bleeds just looking at girls. I mean, he lost his head getting in too deep in the end, but hey, he got a lot outta his harem for sure. Time to man up male harem MC's.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Garo and Future Diary.

That's sad.

Yosuga no Sora, but the less said about said anime, the better.
Genshiken, no scene of it, but several characters are confirmed to have sex life, does that count?

Edit: welp, top of the page.

Cornbread78

Yosuga no Sora, but the less said about said anime, the better.
Genshiken, no scene of it, but several characters are confirmed to have sex life, does that count?

Edit: welp, top of the page.

My goodness, I watched almost the entire first episode the other day and fuck that anime and that incest trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom