• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean I couldn't stand it early on when it focused too much on developing that ero game but the show is actually fantastic other than that. But since you never mentioned why it's so bad, I won't recommend going to to ep11 or 12.

This is gonna be good...

I finished the first 4 episodes and I can't take anymore. I'm not interested in the characters and the setting/"scenario" is kind of cringeworthy to me

I finished the first 4 episodes and I can't take anymore. I'm not interested in the characters and the setting/"scenario" is kind of cringeworthy to me

Well the show is centered around a hikikomori/social outcast attempting to transition into society. Of course it's going to be cringeworthy, but it's a good kind of cringe.

I'm honestly baffled you dislike the show so much. The only thing I thought annoying in the show was the ero-game production, but that doesn't last long throughout the show.

blurr

It has some jokes and all but NHK isn't meant to be entertaining, it's more about the psychological condition of a hikkikomori or a socially deprived individual. It hits home hard if you can relate to him, otherwise it's going to be a sad tale.

By the way Mike, I hope your happy...

Shuffle! ep.16-18
Why is everyone in this anime so fucking miserable? I take a couple months away from it and now we are back to the same shit. The angel and the devil chick are both sad because the MC doesn't want them, Kaede is sad because she is getting shit on (welcome to being a childhood friend in an anime...) Asa got the date she wanted, but it was all orchastrated by everyone, so she is all pissed off about it. Seriously, if someone said this anime ended with a mass suicide scene like NHK, I would believe them... Only a few episodes left so I can finally clear this one off my list as well. It's good to finally clear out some of this shit so I can have new experiences.

Oooh. You're at the interesting parts now.

Mailbox

NHK is a really good character study type anime.
Its not meant to be a fun experience, and even on an art level, its not a looker.
It deals with a lot of hard shit, but more likely than not, you get something out of it.

Though too be fair, i didn't have nearly as much trouble watching as i have been with watamote. I basically have to pause every few minutes with that one out of second hand embarrassment.

Mailbox

I actually liked Watamote more than Welcome to the NHK. The former was scarily accurate.

oh, i really like both, but i've been trying to get through watamote for a year now. Its a really hard watch :p

obligatory :

ibb8FLiVLoVPrP.gif

DiGiKerot

My ringtone is chiptune Go My Way from the 8-Bit iDOLM@STER CDs, but since my phone always on mute, no-one is aware of this fact.

That said, I do use it as my morning alarm as well.

Umaru 03

Getting better. Liked the subtle hints as to why Kirie is following Umaru and how Kirie's unkempt hair resembles horns when she is giving her death glare. Umaru is still annoying but she was more tolerable this episode. Also if you stop watching when the credits start rolling you miss the opportunity to see Umaru in her hood when she isn't in gremlin form.

Mandelbo

Comet Lucifer is actually a mecha show.

Look at that kid in the first shot, casually copping a feel :p
It still looks interesting to me. Having read the description, "Giftjium" sounds like a very silly name for a macguffin and I eagerly anticipate snickering during supposedly serious scenes when someone says it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My ringtone is chiptune Go My Way from the 8-Bit iDOLM@STER CDs, but since my phone always on mute, no-one is aware of this fact.

That said, I do use it as my morning alarm as well.

Well the non joke post from me would say I currently have M@STERPIECE (instrumental version) as my ringtone. I removed the intro so it starts with a bang to get my attention.

I don't leave it on mute so when it does go off in the office (because someone wants to help me with my endless list of PPI cases) everyone will hear it. But seeing as no one knows what that piece of music is it's just another random ringtone.

Reminds me of the time during a lecture someone's phone started ringing and the tone was "Don't say Lazy". Everyone gave him funny looks afterwards.

Moaradin

Finally got around to watching Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers. Kinda surprised me with how it turned out. It's a lot more interesting than it initially let on.

Cornbread78

You guys. You had to post the SAO thing didn't you LOL.

That was definately something that is for sure. It's amazing they could create real life sensations so vividly.

http://comet-lucifer.jp/news/20150825/post-7
Comet Lucifer is actually a mecha show.

This is actually kind of a bummer. From the artwork I was thinking of more of a fantasy setting and not mecha, but oh well.

Shuffle! Ep.19:
What a backstory for Kaede and stupid MC boy that we haven’t got before. Asa Asa Asa Asa and more Asa. Damn, the yandere princess arrives. Well Kaede is now on suicide watch…..

Finally got around to watching Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers. Kinda surprised me with how it turned out. It's a lot more interesting than it initially let on.
I'm liking it a lot. It's a shame that it'll most likely end before they even go fight the main threat. Hopefully we get a second season.

Gbraga

Shimoneta 08

So, uhhmm... Anna's eyelashes are really pretty, aren't they?

Non Non Biyori Repeat 08

This was a surprisingly funny episode. I mean, usually it's always the cute kind of funny, I always have a smile on my face throughout the episode, but this was one of the few where I was laughing out loud, nice episode. Baby Ren-chon strikes again! And any episode with Candy Store has to be a great episode. She's da best.

Jitsu wa, watashi wa 08

Really dumb episode, I liked it a lot.

We're not getting any sleep today, B O Y S!

Shiho is quickly becoming my favorite, though I still really like Shiragami.

AND DAMN, BOYS, that soundtrack is great, the use of music in both Shimoneta and Jitsu wa watashi wa remind me a lot of Persona.

I'm liking it a lot. It's a shame that it'll most likely end before they even go fight the main threat. Hopefully we get a second season.

Main threat will be bad CGI anyway, this is much better. I'm ok with them using the whole anime for the mystery parts.

Moaradin

I'm just pleasantly surprised by how much mystery and tension there is. I went in expecting a very basic action adventure show. I'm glad it's doing some interesting things here.

Main threat will be bad CGI anyway, this is much better. I'm ok with them using the whole anime for the mystery parts.
LOL.
I'm just pleasantly surprised by how much mystery and tension there is. I went in expecting a very basic action adventure show. I'm glad it's doing some interesting things here.
Yup.I was very disappointed with Laplace because well... Let's just say it wasn't what I expected out of a mystery show. Rokka gives me the right dosage of it, without getting disturbingly weird. This along with Gate and Gangsta have been great surprises this season.

Gbraga

LOL.

Yup.I was very disappointed with Laplace because well... Let's just say it wasn't what I expected out of a mystery show. Rokka gives me the right dosage of it, without getting disturbingly weird. This along with Gate and Gangsta have been great surprises this season.

Completely agree. I really can't relate to people saying this season is trash, Gangsta will stick with me for quite some time. Haven't seen anything like it (or at least anything like it with this quality) for a long time. Got a lot of folks who don't really keep up with the newest animes to watch it and they're all loving it.

Completely agree. I really can't relate to people saying this season is trash, Gangsta will stick with me for quite some time. Haven't seen anything like it (or at least anything like it with this quality) for a long time. Got a lot of folks who don't really keep up with the newest animes to watch it and they're all loving it.
Gangsta found it's pace after the first few episodes. The show found the right balance between action, character development through flashbacks, and ambience. Each week it only gets better, just like Rokka.

Gbraga

Gangsta found it's pace after the first few episodes. The show found the right balance between action, character development through flashbacks, and ambience. Each week it only gets better, just like Rokka.

Tsutchie is also doing god's work with the soundtrack. And I've grown quite fond of the OP as well, I wanna renegade down :')

Squalor

I said it a couple of pages ago, but Rokka no Yuusha has some of the best tension and suspense of any anime in recent memory.

The characters and plot keep progressing in unexpected, yet organic ways, too.

At this point, it's not even about the fight against the Demon God. That hardly matters.

Firemind

It has some jokes and all but NHK isn't meant to be entertaining, it's more about the psychological condition of a hikkikomori or a socially deprived individual. It hits home hard if you can relate to him, otherwise it's going to be a sad tale.
What's the point of entertainment if it isn't meant to be entertaining? You guys sometimes :lol

Caught up on Rokka Episode 8

My thoughts

Looks like they are breaking up the pacing nicely. Some talking, some mystery, then some fighting. Wasn't expecting such a neat little break right into the action. I hope they continue to mix things up and keep the story moving forward

It IS odd that they spent time doing world building in the beginning (though that was also pleasantly brief! YAY!) but its becoming clear that this mystery/traitor arc is the current focus. As for now Im in and will continue to see where they take this.

Also are there any other great fantasy/action animes that have hit in this style

I kind of enjoyed Akame Ga Kill. Wasnt horrible and I watched Attack on Titan like damn near everyone else

But what gems might I have missed over the past few years?

JulianImp

Also are there any other great fantasy/action animes that have hit in this style

I kind of enjoyed Akame Ga Kill. Wasnt horrible and I watched Attack on Titan like damn near everyone else

But what gems might I have missed over the past few years?

I felt like Akame was a bit too formulaic for the most part, and often did dark and grim things simply for the sake of being edgy, and it probably didn't help that the MC was the character I cared the least about.

AoT started out interesting, but then we got titan superpowers and episode 13.5 and the pacing began to stutter way too often. I eventually began reading the manga, and I'm disappointed that it mostly works in the same way, piling new arcs up on top of each other before the previous ones are even close to completion.

Somewhat recent shows that you might want to watch (all action-oriented):
Baccano!
Fate/Zero
Kill La Kill
Psycho-Pass
(mostly S1)
Durarara!! (somewhat slower-paced than Baccano and still ongoing, though)

More general recommendations:
Monogatari series (starting with Bakemonogatari)
Shokugeki no Souma
Shirobako
Paranoia Agent
Space Brothers
(99 episodes long, though)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom