• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterok

School-Live 8

We know Megu-nee is no longer among the living, but we don't know what her exact state of being is. First minute was creepy. Yuuri seems to be getting unhinged. It's all getting to her more than she lets on. So was this an experiment? Mysteries abound.

That scene is about as bad as it gets. I mean, there are a couple other slightly "uncomfortable" scenes, but nothing nearly to that extent.

I believe the director was trying hard to express that Araragi was finally getting along with and had a much deeper relationship with his sisters since they were not really on good terms previously. However, I'll be damned if he didn't make that part super creepy and over-the-top, pervy just to accentuate Aragi's own pervertedness with all the other girls, lol.

Also, I really hated Kaiki during that segment; he was such a douche. However.... I'll say no more.

Just like every other character in the show, I feel like Kaiki was a really cool exploration of the anime characterization trope he represents (as a card-carrying villain). If you liked him in Nise, you'd better prepare yourself because he was just getting started there.

In spite of the fanservice, I can say that Nise was a really interesting season for the series because of how well it explored its main theme of comparing the worth of a genuine thing against an imitation. Nisemonogatari, being an Impostory, was nothing but lots of things that pretended to be something else; every character and story element pretended to be something it actually wasn't, and the cast was confronted with those lies and had to make the choice of whether they valued the fake enough to accept it, or if the right thing to do was to pursue the truth instead.

I really liked his introduction and how well he worked as an antagonist for Senjougahara and Araragi as well as fitting the impostor theme, being a master scam artist.

I'm really looking forward to the next season since Monogatari's without a doubt my favorite anime, bar none.
Kizu when, though...

Damnit guys, and here I was thinking I would take I break of a day or two. Well, since I don't have to go to university tomorrow, I guess I'll end Nisemonogatari tonight and jump onto Nekomonogatari right away.

Narag

u4HdtGJl.jpg

lLVMuxAl.jpg

School-Live 8

We know Megu-nee is no longer among the living, but we don't know what her exact state of being is. First minute was creepy. Yuuri seems to be getting unhinged. It's all getting to her more than she lets on. So was this an experiment? Mysteries abound.
About that first moment, I've been thinking
Meguu-ne supposedly died on the roof right? And her hair tie is there and all. But then we had this scene in which she seems to be inside the room with the diary. Have we ever seen Yuki go inside the room that she always seems to go to when speaks to the door in her delusions? I was thinking, could she be going there to talk, not to her delusions, but to Meguu-Ne which is still trapped inside in Zombie mode?

S2 Oregairu 10 - END

oregairu-8a.jpg

Finally got around to finishing this. It was good. Really good. This season actually had a pretty decent overarching plot, and I liked how everything came together by the end (or episode 12, rather), with special mentions going to Hachiman swallowing his pride and asking his fellow club members for help. The growth in his character in S2 has pretty much been the highlight for me. Tons of great moments (my favorite being his talk with sensei) and overall, the cast was a lot better this time around. I went from disliking the main protagonists and really liking the supporting characters to really liking both the main and supporting characters. I didn't really care about the Hachibowl so episode 13 didn't bother me in the least bit (this anime kind of pays lip service to harem genre at best... it's not really about who wins, though it should be obvious to everyone that Hachiman x Yukino is endgame). The wait for the inevitable S3 will be killer though.

So yeah, S2 of Oregairu was damn good. I seriously regret not watching it with you guys.

I actually have no idea who Hachiman is going to end up with. There have been flags for several different characters within the show with even more in the actual light novel. Yeah Yukino seems the obvious choice considering it the whole main conflict started with her and Hikigiya but I almost feel like the might be too cliche for the narrative. Who knows though? We'll all find out years from now. All we have to do is wait. :l

javac

Discotek Line up
Arpeggio of Blue Steel Complete TV Series
Release Date: October 27th 2015
Format: DVD
oZDlFwC.jpg

Lupin the 3rd vs. Detective Conan TV Special
iYb9Sse.jpg

Lupin the 3rd vs. Detective Conan: The Movie
AYYXcxY.jpg

The Library Wars (Toshokan Sensou) TV & Special
Release Date: November 4th 2015
qrgoPxJ.jpg

Night on the Galactic Railroad
Release Date: November 2015
IScMPFV.jpg

Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas Complete Colelction
u26eZZ1.jpg

Z/X: Ignition Complete TV Series
EL4kLUg.jpg

Yowamushi Pedal Complete TV Series
Release Date: December 2015
8hDs1Wm.jpg

The Venus Wars (Movie)
Format: BD
RFF8UlB.jpg

Space Adventure Cobra (Movie)
Format: BD
WYfs38N.jpg

Wicked City
Release Date: January 2016
aQV0sgx.jpg

Getter Robo Armageddon
Release Date: 2016
Format: BD / DVD
3CcZ6Uo.jpg

Kyousougiga
vqHPcGu.jpg

Beelzebub Complete Series
xQgm2FR.jpg

TBD

Blue Submarine No. 6 Complete Colelction
Release Date: TBD
QsPQTYa.jpg

Earl and Fairy (Hakushaku to Yousei)
xFm76gU.jpg

Giant Gorg Complete TV Series
YZuGVw9.jpg

07-Ghost Complete TV Series
q1k5keY.jpg

Dororo (Dororo to Hyakkimaru) Complete TV Series
NZ1x7im.jpg

Hana Yori Dango Complete TV Series and Movie

Magic Knight Rayearth
Ovc7Pci.jpg

Iria: Zeiram the Animation Complete Set
yaNwcZy.jpg

Darkstalkers Complete OVA Set
xc8nIbW.jpg

These days? That's how they've always operated and I don't want them to change :p

I used to associate Discotek with respected classic titles from decades past, which of course they are still doing with titles such as Night on the Galactic Railroad, but now they've expanded to licensing even recent titles everyone''s already forgotten about, such as Z/X Ignition. It feels like they don't have a brand anymore.

I used to associate Discotek with respected classic titles from decades past, which of course they are still doing with titles such as Night on the Galactic Railroad, but now they've expanded to licensing even recent titles everyone''s already forgotten about, such as Z/X Ignition. It feels like they don't have a brand anymore.

still no hyouka doe

Bureau of Proto Society (Animator Expo)

I liked this quite a bit. It wasn't the best of the Expos but it was pretty entertaining. It's short but the plot is a bunch of councilmen looking through past archives to determine what destroyed the world. Their archives are fictional however, which leads them to believe that fictional events led to mankind's downfall. Looks like Trigger is best on one-off little projects.

Cornbread78

Akikan ep.1
Ok, so I'm sure all of you have just selected a random anime at some point to watch just because and I did that here... Well, let's just say it's about a chick who is a soda can and takes human form when he drinks her. The juice is her life blood and can be refilled with the same juice. This being in a HS setting, of course there is a childhood friend that will be jealous along the way at some point, lol. This should be, umm, interesting...

Beats

Bureau of Proto Society (Animator Expo)

I liked this quite a bit. It wasn't the best of the Expos but it was pretty entertaining. It's short but the plot is a bunch of councilmen looking through past archives to determine what destroyed the world. Their archives are fictional however, which leads them to believe that fictional events led to mankind's downfall. Looks like Trigger is best on one-off little projects.

The ending with the anime opening was pretty amusing.

S2 Oregairu 10 - END

oregairu-8a.jpg

Finally got around to finishing this. It was good. Really good. This season actually had a pretty decent overarching plot, and I liked how everything came together by the end (or episode 12, rather), with special mentions going to Hachiman swallowing his pride and asking his fellow club members for help. The growth in his character in S2 has pretty much been the highlight for me. Tons of great moments (my favorite being his talk with sensei) and overall, the cast was a lot better this time around. I went from disliking the main protagonists and really liking the supporting characters to really liking both the main and supporting characters. I didn't really care about the Hachibowl so episode 13 didn't bother me in the least bit (this anime kind of pays lip service to harem genre at best... it's not really about who wins, though it should be obvious to everyone that Hachiman x Yukino is endgame). The wait for the inevitable S3 will be killer though.

So yeah, S2 of Oregairu was damn good. I seriously regret not watching it with you guys.

I think its good that you didn't watch it while it was airing since there were LN spoilers everywhere. I'd have loved to just binge this entire season. Well, that was the plan but it was too good to not watch weekly.

blurr

Watched KyousouGiga recently, it was okay I guess. It had a very nice style but nothing about it really had me hooked. Story was interesting but the thing is that it had the same issues as Rolling Girls that aired this year. The experience of the action sequences cancel out the experience of the SoL bits leaving a hollow feeling. I don't know if anyone else felt the same.

blurr

S2 Oregairu 10 - END

oregairu-8a.jpg

Yes, the show really treated them like human beings than plot devices for giving a cynical view of the world and making witty comments on others. Hachiman might have been through a lot but at the end of the day he's a human, he can't remain anti-social forever, he breaks at some point.

kewlmyc

Himouto 03-08

Decided to give this another shot, and I don't regret it. Umaru either mellowed out from the first two episodes or I just got used to it, not sure. Regardless, the supporting cast is interesting enough to make this watchable. Favorite character is probably Slyph, which we would see more of her. Same for the big brother. He and his own friends seem interesting and hopefully we see more of them.

Articalys

Right Stuf published a new survey today (and if you fill it out you can enter for a $50 gift card), typical sort of purchasing habit stuff, but I'd be interested curious to see this thread's responses to the following select question set (slightly modified to make sense out of the survey's context):

Have you watched more or less anime online so far this year compared to 2014?
  • Watched more
  • Watched less
  • About the same
  • I don't stream anime online
Have you purchased more or less anime so far this year compared to 2014?
  • Purchased more
  • Purchased less
  • About the same
  • I don't buy BD/DVDs

If you stream anime online, does it make you buy more or less anime on DVD or Blu-ray?
  • Buy more
  • Buy less
  • About the same
If you said "buy more", which reasons apply?
  • To own a physical copy
  • To be able to share with friends
  • I want to support the industry
  • I don't like streaming
  • (other reason, please specify)
If you said "buy less", which reasons apply?
  • Already watched the series
  • I didn't like the series I watched
  • To save money
  • There isn't enough new content on the DVD/Blu-ray, like extra features
  • (other reason, please specify)

I wonder if I should put together another one of my own surveys for the thread (purely industry-focused this time), since I'm sure the thread makeup has changed a LOT since the last time I did one eons ago.

• About the same
  • Purchased less-Less available money this year to actually buy anime.

If you stream anime online, does it make you buy more or less anime on DVD or Blu-ray?
  • About the same-It depends. If I watch a series online and really love it, I'll buy. But if I watch a show and it's terrible/average, eh it depends.

Cornbread78

Akikan ep.2
Ok, this show is just bad, but bad in a funny kinda way. MC is a perverted dink to the can girl and her ants her to go to school with him. Also, bad man in glasses wants "Melon" to fight in a battle royal against the "aluminum" can girls (she is a "steel" can) to show if steel cans or aluminum cans will reign supreme and be cherished.. Holy crap, who comes up with this stuff.

duckroll

Animator Expo #29 - Bureau of Proto Society

Pretty good! This was a more concise and self-contained short than Yoshiura's previous one (Power Plant No.33), but also somewhat less ambitious. The aim here wasn't to create an interesting setting or anything though, but rather to have a fun laugh at popular culture and how it might be perceived (incorrectly) by future generations. Lots of nice short scenes paying homage to all sorts of films, games, and anime. Good stuff. The ending had me in stitches. :)

ibyea

Banned
Space Battleship Yamato 2199: 7-13
Must. Not. Nitpick. Science. (sort of the disadvantage of being a physics/astronomy major watching these kind of shows)

Show is great so far. All these spaceship battles are great in building tension as one wonders how they are going to survive. The stakes are never lowered and each battle feels incredibly dangerous. Oh and it was amusing for them to extend the concept of space=sea by
creating a place between dimension that is just like beneath the ocean and a "submarine" even resides there!
Oh and one thing I thought was awesome, showing an interrogation where the interrogator builds rapport with the prisoner. That is how actual interrogation is done, not torture!

Aside from the battles, there are many moments of complexity that I liked. Episode 7 was a calm episode, but showed all the heartbreaking scenes with people talking to their families back Earth, not knowing whether they are going to survive the voyage. Made me feel like all these crews weren't just red shirts there to be meat shield. Also the show never demonizes the other side of the war even as they are the cause of near human extinction, and addresses the urge for vengeance and dehumanization of enemies in a war. Furthermore there is that bombshell revelation in episode 11 that
the humans attacked first and started the war
which makes things

Wicked City is soooooo shit but is literally the building blocks of my childhood airing on Saturday Anime on Sci Fi so I may have to buy that.

Blasted through Overlord 1-8 and really really enjoyed it. I have some small misgivings though but they're mainly just preferences and not actual weaknesses in storytelling or narrative. The fact that he is assuming the attitude of his character being an undead and he recognizes it's unnatural that he feels nothing about the deaths of people is a very interesting and well written premise so far but it makes it kinda hard for me to...relate? Maybe not relate but be fully behind him. I'm trying to find the right word.

I certainly didn't want him to go all REVENGA! when
the adventurer party gets murdered and zombied
though I did read what they wanted me to into him saying "This is...rather displeasing" It's hard for me to not get behind a dude in anime who actually GETS SHIT DONE but I wanted him to admit it was a tad more personal for him.

Though now as I'm writing this out, I think the point of nearly everything he was doing was to show that it actually was for him but he didn't want to admit it. His response to Ninya (or however they spell it) about never finding friends like that again and how much he shared about his old friends as well as how emotional he actually got regarding them makes everything he does make much more sense. He has to approach
the deaths of the adventurers
and his response to it from a distance because he refuses to get invested in any new friendships due to the falling apart of his old ones. But he can't admit that he was actually getting along fine with them and it was nice to be with them so in order to actually follow his emotions without owning up to them he needs to make it about something else. Considering I know what happens in his fight against Clementine and his "handicap" that he gives her, there is no way that you can see it as anything but anger. His reasoning is flawed but it's supposed to be. Hell, his maid calling him out for not doing the smarter tactic in the cemetery shows that he wasn't in his normal state of mind or control. He wanted to get shit done immediately.

Man, writing this up and thinking it through as I did it I am less displeased about his reaction from a personal viewpoint and more displeased because I think that's what they were going with. I don't think we necessarily are supposed to fully support Momonga. I think we're supposed to understand him and what's going on but not like everything he does.

Anyways, I'd probably deal a tad better with his disconnect with his human emotions if they didn't contradict that a bunch with certain things still flustering him (like groping titties). Ignoring for the moment that he's made of bones, how the hell is he going to impregnate anyone.

So yeah this show is really good. Real good use of CG too, looks quite good in motion. I also think the anime is doing a better job than the manga in a lot of things. I was certainly hit a lot harder
regarding the dying adventurers when he sees that Ninya was hiding her gender so her group wouldn't fall apart and have issues
. I just wanna see more of him out of his armor and less of the boring maid. They had like 6 maids who looked way cooler than her and chose to go with her as the main one? Blaaaaaaaaaah.

jbug617

Banned
About the same

About the same (buying more Aniplex sets compared to last year).

Buy more

If you said "buy more", which reasons apply?
To own a physical copy

JulianImp

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-Kun - EPs 1-2
Weird show that I think somebody name-dropped in this thread some time ago (either that or I randomly decided to add it to my queue for whatever reason). It's kind of nice for a romantic-ish comedy that pokes fun at how none of the characters are what they initially seem like, even though it doesn't look like that'll be enough to keep the show afloat for long since that image-personality disconnect appears to be all the characters have going for them. Might keep on watching sometime, but definitely won't marathon-watch several episodes at once.

Oh, and it also has Sawashiro in it. <3

I've only watched the first couple minutes of Kyousugiga so far, but it looks like a crazy over-the-top show that could go places. Still, I don't think I like its graphical style all that much from what I've seen.

ibyea

Banned
Bureau of Proto Society
That was so good, with all the movie and game references, thinking they are historical records. XD The ending was amazing.

Oh god I can't wait for the Lupin III vs Conan stuff to hit. Really thought I had more time than that though... Time to start binging Conan episodes again!

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-Kun - EPs 1-2
Weird show that I think somebody name-dropped in this thread some time ago (either that or I randomly decided to add it to my queue for whatever reason). It's kind of nice for a romantic-ish comedy that pokes fun at how none of the characters are what they initially seem like, even though it doesn't look like that'll be enough to keep the show afloat for long since that image-personality disconnect appears to be all the characters have going for them. Might keep on watching sometime, but definitely won't marathon-watch several episodes at once.

Oh, and it also has Sawashiro in it. <3

I've only watched the first couple minutes of Kyousugiga so far, but it looks like a crazy over-the-top show that could go places. Still, I don't think I like its graphical style all that much from what I've seen.

It's a comedy 4koma, if you are expecting plot developments you will get none. The show manages to keep coming up with new and fun scenarios despite the characters being rather one note.

Kinda surprised we haven't gotten a sequel to Nozaki-Kun. It sold 10,000 units.

It's not like the show cost a lot to produce. It's not like it was like Gurren Lagann when the animators briefly had to resort to cannibalism to finish the first episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom