• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.
the "funny" pics thread is that way ->
8eQ5lTf.gif

Quasar

Maken-Ki! Two - 03

Catgirls doing cat things. A bit tamer than I expected it to be. Himegami has the best nyaa~, especially during the ball play. Speaking of which, I think they most likely set the record for most nyaa~ in an episode.
Downside with this cat themed episode is that worst girl got most screen time. Also a little upset that the hissing didn't escalate into actual cat fights, Nurse going rampage would've been an amazing sight.

Looking forward to the episode 5 reaction.

Chaos Dragon 10

You know, for a series that's supposed to be a big high stakes fantasy adventure full of betrayal and death, there's a lot of scenes of people just sitting around talking.

Okay, why does everyone hate Bounded Ones if they're gonna die because of their power? It's not like they can ever become a sizable problem.

Okay, actual betrayals! Okay that's a pretty sick arm you got there girl.

duckroll

Animator Expo #30 - The Ultraman

Surprised no one posted about this yet. It's Akitoshi Yokoyama directing an Ultraman short based on the original manga material and designs, with art by Hisashi Mori, backgrounds by Studio Pablo, and a bunch of top-tier animators like Tomohiro Takase, Tatsuzo Nishita, Akihiko Yamashita, and Shuichi Kaneko. It looks pretty great, although I guess it might not have a strong impact for those who aren't fans of the franchise. It's very faithful and neat for fans though. The sound effects, music, and direction are all on point.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Did Cajun actually get a perma? I've been under the impression that the avatar disappears if you get perma'd. Also, Arcadius got back and was banned again? Man, I've clearly missed some decent bloodbathing in here.

Yes, yes and yes.

Articalys

Surprised no one posted about this yet. It's Akitoshi Yokoyama directing an Ultraman short based on the original manga material and designs, with art by Hisashi Mori, backgrounds by Studio Pablo, and a bunch of top-tier animators like Tomohiro Takase, Tatsuzo Nishita, Akihiko Yamashita, and Shuichi Kaneko. It looks pretty great, although I guess it might not have a strong impact for those who aren't fans of the franchise. It's very faithful and neat for fans though. The sound effects, music, and direction are all on point.
Is it pretty much the polar opposite from Trigger's Gridman short in terms of style, tone, etc. for being inspired by a toku series?

Sölf

Gintama 287

what do i even do now

Ha! Since I am in that boat since S2 ended (around 252) I am just waiting until I have several episdes and watch them in a few days!

...have to wait again since I only have 287 to watch...

Edit: Have you seen the OVA and the second movie already?

Articalys

It sold around 3,000 units.

So I don't wanna say it's impossible, but...
They're making a pair of live-action movies instead. That's where the new hotness is at anyway -- Chihayafuru's getting two, Ore Monogatari's getting one, Kimiuso's getting one, Anohana's getting one as a TV special...

i honestly have no idea whats going on in that game

im just along for the ride

Did you play the other games? TPP probably has the best writing of the lot. Not hard when you cut out all the heavy exposition.

(light spoilers)
The ending also manages to tie itself into MGS perfectly as well as Metal Gear and Snakes Revenge. Wasn't expecting that!

TUSR

Banned
my wife is the student council president 10

so i decided to see where this show is at

all i can say is

rofl

Animator Expo: The Ultraman

Am I missing some backstory of this? It seems that this short tried to fit in a lot of things in just these eight minutes, I couldn't really follow what was going on.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this seemed like a homage to some old-school anime and I guess it did a pretty good job at that, it sounded bad when people spoke but that was probably intended? For the rest people shot lazers out of their hands and threw boomerangs, seems old-school to me but I wasn't really blown away by it.

I loved the outro though, that was awesome!

Pillow Boys 8

I legit jumped out of my chair when the OP suddenly started playing after that long silence, so long for falling asleep.

Mailbox

You know, even with the bits of odd fanservice the last few episodes, i still found enough to be interested and enjoy this anime.

This episode, however, just shouldn't exist. You can tell right off the bat that this super unneeded filler and should have just been a OVA of some carp.

best bet is that they didn't know how to pad out the anime because 12 episodes was too long for what was planned to be adapted. I'm probably wrong (Definitely wrong).

I assume and hope the remaining episodes do not go like this one has.

duckroll

Is it pretty much the polar opposite from Trigger's Gridman short in terms of style, tone, etc. for being inspired by a toku series?

It's not really like Gridman because this isn't inspired by the Ultraman TV shows so much as a homage to the Ultraman manga by the late Mamoru Uchiyama. The art is based directly on the style of the manga and aims to bring it to life so to speak, which is part of the reason why I think the direction does a lot of the stills -> animation stuff. It feels like a manga frame "coming to life" so to speak.

Animator Expo: The Ultraman

Am I missing some backstory of this? It seems that this short tried to fit in a lot of things in just these eight minutes, I couldn't really follow what was going on.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this seemed like a homage to some old-school anime and I guess it did a pretty good job at that, it sounded bad when people spoke but that was probably intended? For the rest people shot lazers out of their hands and threw boomerangs, seems old-school to me but I wasn't really blown away by it.

I loved the outro though, that was awesome!

Nah you're not missing anything. It's an adaptation of portions of a manga arc. It's basically fanservice, but not much beyond that. The old-school feel is definitely intentional, the manga is really old and the author/artist passed away some time ago.

It's not really like Gridman because this isn't inspired by the Ultraman TV shows so much as a homage to the Ultraman manga by the late Mamoru Uchiyama. The art is based directly on the style of the manga and aims to bring it to life so to speak, which is part of the reason why I think the direction does a lot of the stills -> animation stuff. It feels like a manga frame "coming to life" so to speak.

Nah you're not missing anything. It's an adaptation of portions of a manga arc. It's basically fanservice, but not much beyond that. The old-school feel is definitely intentional, the manga is really old and the author/artist passed away some time ago.

Thanks this clears things up! I tried to google a bit but I got confused because there seem to be a bunch of different versions of Ultraman.

So I guess the source material of this short was the very first Ultraman manga? Because if that's the case it's a really cool homage to the manga and the original writer.

It's awesome that Animator Expo allows for these kind of shorts to be made, I love it!

Good animation, interesting art style in parts, and yeah all the direction and sfx makes it for a flavourful old school feeling.

I was wondering if Anno was in it, given the Ultraman focus. :p.

Go! Princess Precure 30

You know I always feel bad for the villains in these shows sometimes.
Glad the see the Precures didn't murder him this time.

duckroll

Thanks this clears things up! I tried to google a bit but I got confused because there seem to be a bunch of different versions of Ultraman.

So I guess the source material of this short was the very first Ultraman manga? Because if that's the case it's a really cool homage to the manga and the original writer.

It's awesome that Animator Expo allows for these kind of shorts to be made, I love it!

Yeah the source material you're looking for would be the old Uchiyama ones, in particular the story arc with the Jackal aliens. There's a much newer Ultraman manga called "The Ultraman" which isn't related at all and is much more modern. That adds to the confusion I think. Lol.

Articalys

Ah yeah, missed the manga comment in your earlier post; just watched it and I can see what you mean. Like I agree I can tell it's technically well done but I know pretty much nothing about the Ultra franchise besides the very basic premise so I had no clue what was going on.

phaze

Mirai Nikki 10
010195eloxz.jpg

The face of a man who knows he's truly fucked

It's good to see the people behind this show are still aware they're creating a series of comedic skits and not anything resembling serious narrative.

Cornbread78

Mirai Nikki 10

It's good to see the people behind this show are still aware they're creating a series of comedic skits and not anything resembling serious narrative.

This is about where I left off. I need to go back and finish this soon, lol.

jordisok

javac what's up with the episode distribution on the Patlabor Blu-Rays lmao?? Just got the 2nd TV collection import, first disc is 9 episodes, second is 3 :/. Still excited to finish off ep 12 tonight and get started on this.

blurr

I did enjoy Mirai Nikki back when I watched, don't know if I'll be able to now. Some scenes were pretty disturbing.

sonicmj1

I'm really confused. Episode 5 is them going into battle against a secret, but now episode 6 is a weird flashback scene? so confused..

Eureka 7 ep. 3-6:
Lots of happenings really quick that puts him with that fishy non government agency. These types of companies always have something dubious going one behind the scenes... MC is really young, but a pretty good overall with his strenght and resolve. The action sequences they show are pretty good, but that flashback at eht beginning of ep.6 really felt out of place, but as was mentioned above, I'm sure that crazy woman and that scene will all make sense much later. Good stuff overall so far..

Wait a minute...

I'm sorry you started on AO by accident. You're at the point just before the plot starts preparing for its terminal death spiral. It's good you caught your error now, because the show isn't bad through what you watched.

The good news is that Eureka 7 has pretty much nothing to do with what you've seen of AO so far (no Secrets, no Earth nations, no NGOs), and even after you finish the original 50~ episode series, you'll still have no idea how what you've seen of AO relates to it. So you don't have to do some weird brain purge to enjoy it.

Non Non Biyori Reapeat 08 + 09

hozbj7t.jpg

I've been waiting for this!

Easily the best show of this season, I don't even know what's supposed to come close to it, Shokugeki no Soma maybe but that's not really from this Summer season.

Anyhow, I loved how much screentime the "older" generation had in these two episodes, especially in the scene with baby Renge at the school. The part where Natsumi caught the big fish was also great, I just loved everything about it!

Gbraga

Umaru-chan ep.9
Do not mess with her pudding! Please that is the annoying Umaru. I was hoping to see more of big bro's boss again for V-Day, but oh well, no love for big bro, lol. Pretty good episode that made me laugh a few times.

When Kirie-chan tripped and dropped her chocolates, that destroyed my heart. Even Umaru trying to be nice to her didn't make up for it.

She's so cute
VaBNcxc.png

Been catching up on Non Non Biyori Repeat and its as every bit as fantastic as the first season. Things go from hilarious to just downright heartwarming and back without ever feeling abrupt.

Loved that "amusement park" note that Renge left on episode 7.

And now "secret base" is stuck on my head thanks to that episode too. MENMAAAAAA

You have a heart of gold, don't let them take it from you.

MGSV

So many phantoms. I don't know what to believe anymore. Best anime I've seen
played
this year.

WOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO

I don't like saying this kind of thing before I played the game at least a couple of times and had some time to think through, but still, MGS V will most likely be my favorite in the franchise. I enjoy every change they made to the formula, tapes instead of codecs, more open levels, less exposition and needless cutscenes, it's still just as Metal Gear as it always has been, it's just less obnoxious about it.

Though I wasn't the biggest fan in the world before, I really liked the series, but you'd never see me discussing it in a Metal Gear Community Thread or anything, so there's that. Maybe hardcore fans are disappointed at the lack of cutscenes.

Non Non Biyori Reapeat 08 + 09

Easily the best show of this season, I don't even know what's supposed to come close to it, Shokugeki no Soma maybe but that's not really from this Summer season.

Anyhow, I loved how much screentime the "older" generation had in these two episodes, especially in the scene with baby Renge at the school. The part where Natsumi caught the big fish was also great, I just loved everything about it!

I know, right? I was worried because we were about on episode 5 (I think) and still no sign of Kaede, but we're getting so much of them recently, it's great. And I really thought it would be some cliche kinda-funny joke in the fishing sequence, I'm glad they actually just caught a big fish and that's it. I even actually forgot about the watch, and it was quite obvious what would happen to it the moment her mother gave her the thing.

Show of the season, most likely show of the year, I love Non Non Biyori so much, one of my favorite animes ever, really.

duckroll

Wait, Hold the phone... AO is the sequel? Have I been watching the wrong one?

@$%@#%#$^# #% #^#%^ #$^&$&$^&$ &$
$%#%^#%

Welp, there goes watching this at all, since there have been a ton of flashback and now everythign is spoiled. Fu(k my life....

ROFLMAO. What a way to fuck up! :(

ibyea

Banned
Wait, Hold the phone... AO is the sequel? Have I been watching the wrong one?

@$%@#%#$^# #% #^#%^ #$^&$&$^&$ &$
$%#%^#%

Welp, there goes watching this at all, since there have been a ton of flashback and now everythign is spoiled. Fu(k my life....

XD Don't worry, I don't think you will know much going into E7 at this point.

Line_HTX

Food Wars 16

My bad, I got ahead of myself and wasn't thinking. Soma's dad said those parting words here, not in the previous episode. That specialized ramen for breakfast though... now I would love to try that to get the day started. No meat or fish in the ramen, huh...

GATE 04

Damn, it's heartbreaking to see Tuka request supplies for another person who won't be there. At least they find out that they'll be able to sell the dragon scales at a insane price since the JSDF has no use for them, lol. And by the way, while we're at it, it feels like they completed that base way too fast since they got there. Itami and company already left as the Diet summons subpeona came in, so Itami dodged a bullet temporarily. On to Italica.

Quasar

Disc sales don't really matter that much for manga adaptions. Question is how much it pushed manga sales.

Yeah. s1 sold poorly like that too. And even though S1/2 are amongst my favourite anime, the manga after S2 has gone in boring directions as far as I'm concerned. I'm not even sure I'd watch an anime of it.

Defuser

Usually if a show that sells poorly in BD/DVD sales and somehow gets a sequel the reason would be either...

A) Manga/LN sales got a massive boost.

B) Live action movie in the works, a sequel helps to promote/create awareness to it e.g Kaiji, Terraformars.etc

C) Planned as 2 cour but was split up.

D) A fucking miracle it happened e.g The World God Only Knows S3, Hayate no Gotoku S3/4 aka Shonen Sunday attempts to throw in $$$ their series to see which one will stick on the wall after the collaboration with Magi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom