• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT2| !? Love Live is not real!

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

It's Toei, a studio that is worse than Pierrot. It's rather obvious.

Toei have a fantastic catalog of titles, even if modern Toei isn't all that hot, I find it hard to hate them. They have a fantastic back catalog and are a studio that primarily focuses on younger audiences, I see nothing wrong with that. They're actually the studio that I have the least qualms with.

Squalor

Toei have a fantastic catalog of titles, even if modern Toei isn't all that hot, I find it hard to hate them. They have a fantastic back catalog and are a studio that primarily focuses on younger audiences, I see nothing wrong with that. They're actually the studio that I have the least qualms with.
What are some of their projects you hold in high regard?

I almost never pay attention to the studios behind the anime, so I'd be hard pressed to really name any.

Cornbread78

Eureka 7 ep1-6:
tumblr_ns7rb6Pel41taqpxvo1_400.gif

OK, so after yesterdays' screw up watching AO, I finally got to watch the first 6 episodes of the correct show this time! I gotta say, outside of the 70's/ early 80's feel I get from the OP, I really like the show tone and presentation so far. We have no clearly defined plot as of yet, but just getting to know the characters and how they interact has been fun. The MC, (even though he's your typical embarrased teanager) is still growing, which was just recognized by Holland, but has some grit to him, so I'm sure he will turn out to be Ok in the end. I'm just interested to see how this relationship developes with Eureka as partners and as "lovers," but hey, there are 50 episodes and I'm only just over 10% there, so a LONG way to go with this one.

javac

Mobile Suit Gundam Part 1 Blu-ray (UK):
Many people are excited for our release of the original Mobile Suit Gundam series on Blu-ray starting with Part 1 in November. Today we have some news that will interest many of you as we’re delighted to announce that we will be producing a box to store both parts of our Mobile Suit Gundam Blu-ray release.

NQD5Vsn.png

The storage box will come packed with Part 1 of 2 specifically and is NOT exclusive to a particular retailer. There are only 1000 units being produced but no matter where you pre-order it, be it Amazon UK (£44.99), Zavvi (£37.99), our own web shop (£39.99) or any other UK retailer, if you pre-order Part 1 of 2 you will receive the storage box while we’re within the 1000 unit allocation. If you have already pre-ordered you WILL receive the Limited Edition box. Obviously once we start to reach the limit of the allocation we will be sure to make it known in our weekly Newswire and through our social media channels.

We’ll be sure to keep you date on our release of Mobile Suit Gundam on Blu-ray, including finalised artwork for the two parts in general once the approvals process has been completed.

Link

Usually if a show that sells poorly in BD/DVD sales and somehow gets a sequel the reason would be either...

A) Manga/LN sales got a massive boost.

B) Live action movie in the works, a sequel helps to promote/create awareness to it e.g Kaiji, Terraformars.etc

C) Planned as 2 cour but was split up.

D) A fucking miracle it happened e.g The World God Only Knows S3, Hayate no Gotoku S3/4 aka Shonen Sunday attempts to throw in $$$ their series to see which one will stick on the wall after the collaboration with Magi.
One more possibility is merchandise selling well

I personally found the first half of Eureka Seven nearly insufferable since absolutely none of the characters are likable in anyway.

Anemone has best tho.

What are some of their projects you hold in high regard?

I almost never pay attention to the studios behind the anime, so I'd be hard pressed to really name any.

Kyousougiga is certainly among them. Some of the Digimon series were also quite good. I honestly know relatively little about that studio, but those come to mind at least.

javac

I only watch old shows which might be reason why I have an affinity for studios such as Toei, like I said, I can't comment on newer series simply because I refuse to watch them.

Squalor

I only watch old shows which might be reason why I have an affinity for studios such as Toei, like I said, I can't comment on newer series simply because I refuse to watch them.
That's beyond weird, especially since "old" is completely relative.

Line_HTX

Toei is BAD, m'KAY? :p

Eureka 7 ep1-6:

OK, so after yesterdays' screw up watching AO, I finally got to watch the first 6 episodes of the correct show this time! I gotta say, outside of the 70's/ early 80's feel I get from the OP, I really like the show tone and presentation so far. We have no clearly defined plot as of yet, but just getting to know the characters and how they interact has been fun. The MC, (even though he's your typical embarrased teanager) is still growing, which was just recognized by Holland, but has some grit to him, so I'm sure he will turn out to be Ok in the end. I'm just interested to see how this relationship developes with Eureka as partners and as "lovers," but hey, there are 50 episodes and I'm only just over 10% there, so a LONG way to go with this one.

The emotions are wide ranging. I loved a lot of moments, and hated a lot of moments. The beginning is more of the start of growing pains, and there are a lot of pains. I can't wait to hear more from you since I think this is up your alley.
Check your Twitter, FFS

javac

Generally the new stuff does nothing for me. Most of the old crap is, well exactly that, crap, but its my type of crap. I guess its similar to people who love those old b grade horror flicks, there's an allure to them from the music to the type of humor and crude animation that I have an affinity towards. Cheesy and silly stuff. On the other hand I also love kids shows, and nothing touches the old WMT series today for me. The back catalog available from the 70's through the 80's and early 90's is so huge and appealing to me that I could spend a lifetime watching them and never have to touch a new series that's less up my alley just for the sake of it.

Generally the new stuff does nothing for me. Most of the old crap is, well exactly that, crap, but its my type of crap. I guess its similar to people who love those old b grade horror flicks, there's an allure to them from the music to the type of humor and crude animation that I have an affinity towards. Cheesy and silly stuff. On the other hand I also love kids shows, and nothing touches the old WMT series today for me. The back catalog available from the 70's through the 80's and early 90's is so huge and appealing to me that I could spend a lifetime watching them and never have to touch a new series that's less up my alley just for the sake of it.

So you'd watch the original OVA's of Ushio to Tora but not the new version that's being released right now? What about that Ultraman Animimator Expo short

There are so much different kind of shows that are being released that it's impossible to define all of them as "new stuff", seems pretty silly to me to dismiss all of that just because they aren't old.

Watch some popular new shows now and then, it's not that bad to step out of your comfort zone once in a while, who knows what kind of gems you're missing out of.

But whatever man, as long as you're happy you can do what you want <3

Ascheroth

Ushio to Tora - 10

Great episode. While it still was basically a 1 episode self-contained short story, I liked how it was no monster of the week. We also got some main plot related tidbits in the beginning, so there's that, too.
Toras reaction to completely mundane everday things never gets old.

Those greedy bastards got what was coming for them. Absolutely despicable.
I hope we'll see more of Saya, she's cute.

javac

So you'd watch the original OVA's of Ushio to Tora but not the new version that's being released right now? What about that Ultraman Animimator Expo short

There are so much different kind of shows that are being released that it's impossible to define all of them as "new stuff", seems pretty silly to me to dismiss all of that just because they aren't old.

Watch some popular new shows now and then, it's not that bad to step out of your comfort zone once in a while, who knows what kind of gems you're missing out of.

But whatever man, as long as you're happy you can do what you want <3

No idea what Ushio to Tora is, but having a quick gander at it, neither one looks appealing to me at all but yeah the old one looks closer to something that I'd watch, I mean I guess. The new one looks like everything I don't care for in animation. Not really seen the Animator Expo shorts.

I'll watch one or two newer shows here and there, like Kaiba, or Aku no Hana but it usually has to be something that's more artsy and something that looks like my type of thing, I don't care for modern comedies, romance and SoL.

I don't believe that old stuff is better, there's more variety from a visual standpoint these days, but I'd say that the old stuff is better suited to my tastes and adhere to the aspects of anime I like more closely. Like I said, there's not many serious attempts at children series these days like Takarajima and Romeo which is a subsection of anime that I appreciate a lot. However I will admit that there's a few recent examples like Erin. I don't see the big deal really. The comedy, music, animation and character designs today for the most part outside of a few examples don't really appeal to me. The ones that do, like the rotoscoped Aku no Hana, or the crude and visceral Ping Pong or the bright and exuberant Kaiba and Tatami, I'll watch. It's not hate or contempt for new stuff, its a lack of care and indifference. I have no vested interest or emotional connection to any of it.

Squalor

Sorry, that just seems stupid to say "all new [anything] does nothing for me," especially when you haven't even experienced anything close to a significant portion of what those new things are.

javac

That's fine, I'll continue to stay ignorant to it all, I think that I'm fine with that. I'm very happy with how its going.

Squalor

Tora's reaction to completely mundane everday things never gets old.
A lot changes when you've been locked underground for 500 years, haha.

Not that the quality of show is similar, but the cultural shock in Gate is also handled very well and funnily.

Ushio and Tora 10

Pretty good episode. White hair will probably be relevant later. I like seeing Ushio and Tora being friendly after all those episodes of tsun-tsun. I hope some kind of main plot does kick in soon, though. The show isn't like Mushi-shi where it's strong enough I can just be satisfied with the MC walking around meeting random youkai.

Not really seen the Animator Expo shorts.

I don't want to sound pushy or anything but could you watch the most recent animator Expo shorts and give your impressions on them? all of them are unique works with varying artstyle, the four most recent ones are all really good in their own way.

It should take you only 30 minutes to watch all of them, I'm really interested to hear what someone with your viewpoint has to say about them.

http://animatorexpo.com/theultraman/

http://animatorexpo.com/bureauofprotosociety/

http://animatorexpo.com/endlessnight/

http://animatorexpo.com/bubuandbubulina/

javac

I don't want to sound pushy or anything but could you watch the most recent animator Expo shorts and give your impressions on them? all of them are unique works with varying artstyle, the four most recent ones are all really good in their own way.

It should take you only 30 minutes to watch all of them, I'm really interested to hear what someone with your viewpoint has to say about them.

I'll watch them later, but I mean spoiler: I'm probably going to like them a lot *shock horror* because I actually like shorts, because, well they're short.

I'll watch them later, but I mean spoiler: I'm probably going to like them a lot *shock horror* because I actually like shorts, because, well they're short.

Yeah, shorts are pretty nice. I also started following the regular shorts this season (Wakako-Zake represent!) and I love most of them.

Jarmel

Banned
Is the OST at least similar to the original?
It's different. The original was techno/trance and AO is much more electronic guitar heavy. The composer for AO though was the lead on Supercar and there are some Supercar remixes in there.

phaze

Do you need to watch the other Mazinger stuff before this?

You need to watch other Mazinger stuff after it.

Except that stuff doesn't and won't exist.

Mirai Nikki 12

Either the two main leads are slightly less insufferable than they were in the first 5 episodes or the past year of watching bad anime has steeled my soul, mind and kokoro.

With that said, I might need to go over them again as it seems the reason for Yuno's obsession with Yukiteru might have already been spelled out for the viewer but I've no recollection of that happening.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
School Live 9

Even in a state of decay, there is still time for a beach episode.
But who cares! We got
walking dead nightmares
coming!

Mandelbo

I feel there is a notable difference between new and old anime (my definition for old is pre-2000, or at least pre-subHD anime). It's interesting to see how the medium has evolved and changed, what was popular then and what's popular now. I enjoy lots of anime from both eras, though!

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You need to watch other Mazinger stuff after it.

Except that stuff doesn't and won't exist.

Mirai Nikki 12

Either the two main leads are slightly less insufferable than they were in the first 5 episodes or the past year of watching bad anime has steeled my soul, mind and kokoro.

With that said, I might need to go over them again as it seems the reason for Yuno's obsession with Yukiteru might have already been spelled out for the viewer but I've no recollection of that happening.

...isn't it just because she's fucking crazy?

Line_HTX

It's bad enough that Cornbread likes Asuna and stuff, but all this After Story stuff is making me remember it again...

Nooo~

Squalor

Of the many annoying things in Future Diary, one of my biggest narrative complains was almost none of their acts had real-world consequences. Almost nothing was at stake, so the tension and plot were very low.

Jarmel

Banned
So while driving, I thought about Toradora and why it essentially works as well as it does. I feel this is somewhat important to analyze as another show came out recently that also focused on a melodramatic relationship, Your Lie in April, and I largely disliked it. I guess I'm taking this exercise as a means of making sure my rewatch with Toradora wasn't affected so much by nostalgia. It's worth noting the goals of both shows are somewhat different in that Your Lie in April had Kosei's performance angle while nothing similar to that exists in Toradora, not to mention
Kaori's Multiple Sclerosis
elements. However both contain large amounts of melodrama and so I'm left wondering why Your Lie in April's moments don't work. I also think it's important to try and separate what makes good and bad melodrama as Okada Gundam is coming.
XdGlUjq.jpg

I am ready to take in all the Gundam tears.
So far, I can break it down into three main elements: the writing, visual direction, and pacing. The writing is in some ways the hardest to analyze and say what is good and bad. Who am I to say whether someone dying is a good or bad thing? What I can say though is that Your Lie in April was unfocused. There are times where I wasn't sure if the anime wanted to have a love triangle or focus on a romantic tragedy. This lack of concentration on one element of the story not only hampered these singular components but also makes the entire work come off as overly dramatic. While I do like Tsubaki as a character, her inclusion feels extraneous and adds additional drama to a work already saturated with it. Another aspect was the physical abuse from Kosei's mother as it felt unneeded and only served to villainize an already despicable character to the point where it comes off as unnatural and exaggerated. That's important because Kosei has a lot of internal conflict concerning his opinion of her but the audience mostly sees how awful of a parent she was. This notion of connecting to the viewers ties into my last point in that many of the characters in the work are prodigies and so it hampers how much the audience can relate to the individuals. Compare that with something like Toradora where Ryuuji and Minori are broke as fuck and the issues they deal with are something most people can connect with. I feel that sense of immersion is an important aspect when dealing with melodrama in that the audience has to feel engrossed into the material. Otherwise it's apparent that the writer is trying to evoke particular emotions such as sadness out of you. Of course while all writers try to elicit an emotional response on the part of the audience, doing so in such a forward manner comes across as unearned. With Toradora, there were sad moments but they were also supposed to be encouraging in a way. That multilevel emotional response helps quell the viewer from going through the looking glass. The writing in Your Lie in April however has garbage like inconvenient timing such as when Kosei walked in to
Kaori flat lining
eLLGVot.jpg

Of course. Of course.
The second element is direction, both visual and tone. That's something I feel Your Lie in April did both very well and poorly at times. The visual direction during certain sequences was astoundingly well done. Kosei being underwater during his performances was a good way of showing how he can't hear anything and how he's essentially drowning. However in almost all the cases, comedy in the form of physical abuse is used to end a dramatic moment. That's a big separator from Toradora, which also has comedy but usually keeps it distinctly separate from the serious moments. The comedy in Your Lie in April serves to undercut the drama in a negative way. I understand it's being used as a cool-down but instead it comes across as awkward and unnatural. The use of comedy to scale back the seriousness of some dramatic scene isn't anything new but the tone of the comedy here was a poor choice, such as using the typical tsundere physical violence on someone who actually suffered childhood abuse. The other issue is how often the show does it, which feels cheap and overused. The show also spammed the dead eyes thing too much.
The third criteria is the most important and it is pacing, which is where Toradora excelled and Your Lie in April under-performed. Toradora had a series of arcs which lasted three episodes at the longest and there usually was a sense of progression with each arc. Very few things were dragged out and most events were quickly resolved. There was only 4 episodes from the time that
Taiga realized she's in love with Ryuuji to it becoming public knowledge, and part of those 4 were spent on Ryuuji's feelings
. Your Lie in April however drags out things like Friend A all the way to the bitter end or Kosei's performance anxieties. It gets old seeing the same shit over and over again with the sensation of being in a circling pattern. This is important for both larger events and smaller individual sequences such as Kosei performing. I feel good pacing is another aspect to keep the audience engrossed in the work.
In short, I should watch WIXOSS.

There's nothing wrong with a good afternoon cry... It's amazing that is still touching even after watching it several times. Dammit, soo good.
Not ashamed to say After Story made me cry twice.
The scene between the MC and his dad when they reconcile and the scene with him and his daughter in the flower field
. Other scenes made me ALMOST tear up, but those two broke me down.

Oh yeah might as well ask, any folks in Toronto for Fan Expo? Going with a buddy tomorrow. It's a yearly tradition, I barely buy any anime merch but on this one day of the year I go off lol.

Cornbread78

Not ashamed to say After Story made me cry twice.
The scene between the MC and his dad when they reconcile and the scene with him and his daughter in the flower field
. Other scenes made me ALMOST tear up, but those two broke me down.

For me it's Episode 16, ( I couldn;t even the first time I watched it... I was done for.. 18 (same part as you; the gif I see online of it gets me every time) and episode 21, ( the part I just watched)
that gif of the arm droping down by her side
is just a killer... even thinking about it. The ending also gets me as well, just in a different way.

For me it's Episode 16, ( I couldn;t even the first time I watched it... I was done for.. 18 (same part as you; the gif I see online of it gets me every time) and episode 21, ( the part I just watched)
that gif of the arm droping down by her side
is just a killer... even thinking about it. The ending also gets me as well, just in a different way.

Indeed, even though the ending is a
happy one for everyone
even that gave me the feels. For all the flack it gets from folks for its looks, melodrama and whatnot, the show made me feel things. And no I'm not the emotional type, it's quite the opposite actually.

Koppai

Been watching Charlotte lately, I really haven't enjoyed an anime in quite a while so it was a pleasant surprise.

My favorite shows that were on around the same time years ago were Hanasaku Iroha & Ano Hana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom