• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, is log horizon still the only mmo anime that deals more with actual mmo topics like guild politics and high level raids? Sao always struck me as like the author hadn't actually played any MMOs at a serious level

Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta? touches on it in the later episodes.

zulux21

Also, is log horizon still the only mmo anime that deals more with actual mmo topics like guild politics and high level raids? Sao always struck me as like the author hadn't actually played any MMOs at a serious level

if I recall right from the SAO books, the author in deed only played in some lower level guilds and with friends in MMOs, in general he was in awe of the high level guilds.

Qurupeke

Macross Delta 18
f5Gpfuh.png
Uyy5Kpk.png
lTZ3bM6.png
I thought it would be a normal episode about people discussing apples. The last third of the episode was simply insane. Freyja max and songasms everywhere.

On Rakugo, it is my AotY so far but my only gripe was the character animation which is something I've mentioned while it was airing(in episode 9 however there was some great character art and sequences that really stood out for me) - while satisfactory for most of the part I felt it was lacking at times.

Relatively recently I watched Kaguya for which I've looked up animators who worked on scenes I liked in Sakugabooru: Shinji Hashimoto and Hiroyuki Morita. I believe I had a discussion with Hosanna where I said I'd look up animators I feel would do great albeit I am no expert on the matter so pardon me if I made a wrong assumption/mistake. Feel free to correct me.

Hashimoto worked on this magnificent scene which is probably my favorite sequence in the film but for Rakugo I was "expecting" character animation along the lines of Morita's work (admittedly, a lot of those are excerpts from movies than a TV series which is produced under considerably different constraints).

Contrary to my expectations when I actually watched some Rakugo on YouTube (live action i.e.), the show isn't off the mark - the movement is mostly verbal with restrained/simple gestures. Morita's work involves a lot of character movement which wasn't the case with Rakugo.

Just putting down some thoughts and research I did here for perspective. Let me know if I made a mistake.

Yeah, having appropriately restrained character animation that's better than the animation in Rakugo Shinjuu isn't impossible; it just requires an outlay of resources that would be insane to spend on a TV show, especially one so little likely to make back its money as Rakugo Shinjuu. You mention Princess Kaguya, and that movie looks incredible, but it also took years and years to make. Okiura is probably the Japanese animator with the greatest mastery of subtle character animation, and Production I.G won't even let him make another movie because he takes too long. You could say that production circumstances in anime are far from ideal, which they are, but in the end you need to accept some level of compromise for anything to get made at all.

Not that I'm trying to invalidate your feelings of dissatisfaction with the animation in Rakugo Shinjuu, but as you saw the real-life art of rakugo has minimal movement and relies mostly on voice acting. The show, in varying degrees depending on the episode, attempts to visually enliven the rakugo performances through camera placement and metaphorical imagery, which are basic techniques anime in general relies on to help compensate for the industry standard limited animation.

Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet 9

I'm really glad my friend suggested KoS to me. Once I got used to the CG, I fell in love with this show. It scratches my mecha itch quite well and is fun too.

Tanikaze's got himself one very strange harem, though, and from what I've heard it gets stranger.

I will say I kinda preferred the ending to the first season, battle-wise, though
the return of the Crimson Hawk Moth, while unsurprising, was an awesome, and creepy, sight. I had expected some final surprise, though. I was betting on Planet 9 being a giant Gauna, especially due to those floating islands.

I need a third season. Maybe once Blame! is done (which, speaking of, the little cameo it had was awesome and I can't wait for it either)
Yea I'm with you on the S1>S2 but S2 still has amazing battles at the end. Since the manga is over I'm sure we will get a season 3 in the near futur.

It's a shame some people can't get over the cg since KoS is probably one of the best mecha show out there.

Yea I'm with you on the S1>S2 but S2 still has amazing battles at the end. Since the manga is over I'm sure we will get a season 3 in the near futur.

It's a shame some people can't get over the cg since KoS is probably one of the best mecha show out there.

S2 managed to kill off all the interesting elements for me that S1 set up in favour of super harem fun times. The 3rd gender was revealed to be merely a universal adaptor so that we can get another heaving chest in front of the MC, the solar powered kids continues to be little more than excuse for side boob on female characters and now even giant robots want the MCs D. That said I do want a 3rd season just to finish this thing out properly and the CG robot fights are still some of the best I've seen (possibly because it was one of the first mecha shows I watched)

S2 managed to kill off all the interesting elements for me that S1 set up in favour of super harem fun times. The 3rd gender was revealed to be merely a universal adaptor so that we can get another heaving chest in front of the MC, the solar powered kids continues to be little more than excuse for side boob on female characters and now even giant robots want the MCs D. That said I do want a 3rd season just to finish this thing out properly and the CG robot fights are still some of the best I've seen (possibly because it was one of the first mecha shows I watched)
Agreed that the harem elements did bring s2 down a bit but everything else was pretty great so I could overlook it pretty easily.

Those mecha fights were just sooo good.

blurr

Yeah, having appropriately restrained character animation that's better than the animation in Rakugo Shinjuu isn't impossible; it just requires an outlay of resources that would be insane to spend on a TV show, especially one so little likely to make back its money as Rakugo Shinjuu. You mention Princess Kaguya, and that movie looks incredible, but it also took years and years to make. Okiura is probably the Japanese animator with the greatest mastery of subtle character animation, and Production I.G won't even let him make another movie because he takes too long. You could say that production circumstances in anime are far from ideal, which they are, but in the end you need to accept some level of compromise for anything to get made at all.

Not that I'm trying to invalidate your feelings of dissatisfaction with the animation in Rakugo Shinjuu, but as you saw the real-life art of rakugo has minimal movement and relies mostly on voice acting. The show, in varying degrees depending on the episode, attempts to visually enliven the rakugo performances through camera placement and metaphorical imagery, which are basic techniques anime in general relies on to help compensate for the industry standard limited animation.

Well, it's also that I have seen anime with the same levels of animation quality or even lower than Rakugo but it didn't bother as much as it did with Rakugo. This is unusual for me honestly. The drama and the events were evocative and had my attention to that extent. This isn't only in regard to the actual Rakugo performance(which I admit is a fair job) but also the other dramatic moments through out the show.

I do understand that getting the right animators and enough time is an ideal scenario but I just wanted to my point across.

Ascheroth

Macross Delta #18

Apple talk was great. Last third was insane. Damn.
The new ED song is also pretty great, doubt it's going to stay though.

Arslan S2 Episode 5

Guys, I can't believe the slave owning money grubbing poor hating merchant would betray Scooby and the gang!?

To be fair, at least the plot is moving along, and things look like they'll be kicking off next week. (Why are they burning the blind woman again?)

I thought the episode moved too fast like they realized theres too few episodes remaining.

Cornbread78

Cowboy Bebop ep.15
Poor Faye, lol. Looks like she has been completely unlucky for a long time now... Literally. At least we got some backstory on her finally though. Another lighthearted and fun episode overall.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Orange 5
If real Japanese teenagers are this timid/shy and dense, I feel bad for them. "This is the first time I invited someone somewhere.".

I'll give this two more episodes to see if it goes anywhere.

SOLDIER

Re:Zero Episode 18

Not too often we get to see an episode completely carried by dialogue. Apparently this was almost 1:1 adapted from the LN's. None the less I was completely absorbed the whole time. I am really hoping we get to see a second season.

Also
how in the world could you reject such perfection as Rem?!? I actually felt quite bad for her after this.

I feel like Japan has this obsession with always pairing the MC with the "purest" girl. As in, the one with the blandest personality and backstory, the "shrine maiden", the "alien princess", etc, whereas the character with the far more interesting backstory and active personality gets snubbed every single time.

The exceptions to this rule would be Asuka (because Rei is technically his cloned mother), Ryoko (because Ayeka is literal trash) and Tifa (because Aerith died).

cheesekao

Re:Zero 18
So why didn't Subaru talk to whatshername(orange haired princess) and choose not to lick her foot? I'm not saying that she will help him but in the event that she does, as long as Subaru doesn't tag along the whale won't get to whatever help he got.

JulianImp

I feel like Japan has this obsession with always pairing the MC with the "purest" girl. As in, the one with the blandest personality and backstory, the "shrine maiden", the "alien princess", etc, whereas the character with the far more interesting backstory and active personality gets snubbed every single time.

The exceptions to this rule would be Asuka (because Rei is technically his cloned mother), Ryoko (because Ayeka is literal trash) and Tifa (because Aerith died).

While Rem chose to express she liked and had come to terms with Subaru, the reason for him to like Emilia was that he wanted to see her smile and that alone, which is still a thing that I can't come to terms with.

The whole "fall in love with whoever saves you" trope is something I wish hadn't been abused so much in Re:Zero, but at least it's kind of understandable for Rem since she saw Subaru risk his all to save the people around him. On the other hand, with Subaru it was more like Emilia was the first character who had tried to help him a bit before being killed in the first loop... and nothing else. She always felt more like a crush than either love or infatuation, which is why this latest episode was really touching, but at the same time a real pain since both Rem and Subaru got all off of their chests... and got back to the same status quo we've had since the start.

Deadly

Macross Delta 18
What the fuck just happened?
Looks like Mikumo is clearly some protoculture goddess that was experimented on when discovered. Sad.
Roid is definitely evil too

An obsession with female 'purity' is a thing in western media too after all one of the most prominent clichés in horror films is 'having sex = death'. Subaru's obsession with Emilia doesn't bother me too much for two reasons the first is that I suspect this is a 'first crush' scenario where a sheltered, isolated Subaru is shown kindness by a woman and is thus unreasonably infatuated and secondly I agree with the idea that it's a part of Satella's curse. I believe Subaru is a sort of quicksave feature for Satella's plan for Emilia and it wouldn't do to have that quicksave wander off and start helping anyone else.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
An obsession with female 'purity' is a thing in western media too after all one of the most prominent clichés in horror films is 'having sex = death'. Subaru's obsession with Emilia doesn't bother me too much for two reasons the first is that I suspect this is a 'first crush' scenario where a sheltered, isolated Subaru is shown kindness by a woman and is thus unreasonably infatuated and secondly I agree with the idea that it's a part of Satella's curse. I believe Subaru is a sort of quicksave feature for Satella's plan for Emilia and it wouldn't do to have that quicksave wander off and start helping anyone else.

Re:Zero Episode 17 spoilers:

But Satella's hands killed Emilia >_>

The same hands that fondled Subaru's heart.

Phew what a night I had. Drake concert was unreal. Time to watch yesterday's stuff and surf through the 4 pages you guys wrote.

Shit must have really hit the fan in Re:Zero.

Cornbread78

The more I think about it, the more I think I just want to drop ReZero cold after this past episode. Not because I don't like it, but because I fear we are about to get the ultimate "HA HA Sucker, go buy the LN" ending like we got in SNAFU.

Phew what a night I had. Drake concert was unreal. Time to watch yesterday's stuff and surf through the 4 pages you guys wrote.

Shit must have really hit the fan in Re:Zero.

You must watch this immediately. Join in the pain and suffering with the rest of us. Subaru s the lowest of low; a real piece of trash....

duckroll

Under the Dog

Well, this was a thing. I enjoyed it for the action, but can't say it's particularly memorable or special. Pros: Great music, solid action storyboarding, great effects animation, tight pace. Cons: Somewhat iffy character art for the faces, average character animation, pretty stupid story, not very ambitious scenario.

Ando didn't disappoint at all, so I don't regret giving him money to make this. If they make more later on, as long as Ando is still directing I'll watch it. Looking forward to the art book and BD later on. Disappointing that the pilot trailer has stuff that never made it into the final product though. Where's the bike? Lol. There was barely any real CG action in the film. Was hoping for more from Orange.

Trojita

Tenchi had kids with EVERYONE. Even the Cabbit wasn't safe.

The more I think about it, the more I think I just want to drop ReZero cold after this past episode/ Not because I don't like it, but because I rear we are about to get the ultimate "HA HA Sucker, go buy the LN" ending like we got in SNAFU.

You must watch this immediately. Join in the pain and suffering with the rest of us. Subaru s the lowest of low; a real piece of trash....

Alright I'm gonna watch orange first, then Re:Zero, then I'll read through these pages and join the conversation. This is promising.

JulianImp

The more I think about it, the more I think I just want to drop ReZero cold after this past episode. Not because I don't like it, but because I fear we are about to get the ultimate "HA HA Sucker, go buy the LN" ending like we got in SNAFU.

From what I've heard, the LNs haven't continued at all compared to the anime save for some short side stories or something. If that isn't the case, then I'd really love to get a list of LN volumes that weren't covered in the anime so that I can get them while I'm in Japan, just like I did with Kokoro Connect.

Trojita

There's certain series that are ultimately an advertisement to continue in the manga/LN and stop way before the current publishes material is at. Other series literally don't have enough material released yet to continue the show.

Re:Zero is the latter. By the last episode there won't be much left of the currently released LN to adapt.

Under the Dog

Well, this was a thing. I enjoyed it for the action, but can't say it's particularly memorable or special. Pros: Great music, solid action storyboarding, great effects animation, tight pace. Cons: Somewhat iffy character art for the faces, average character animation, pretty stupid story, not very ambitious scenario.

Ando didn't disappoint at all, so I don't regret giving him money to make this. If they make more later on, as long as Ando is still directing I'll watch it. Looking forward to the art book and BD later on. Disappointing that the pilot trailer has stuff that never made it into the final product though. Where's the bike? Lol. There was barely any real CG action in the film. Was hoping for more from Orange.

Just a reminder from the past:

We have offers for a 26 episode TV series. We don't want to take this because 1) We do not care for TV quality anime 2) We don't want to be at the whim of the publisher or a Production Committee. 3) If we went this route we would also be forced to scale down the quality of the animation. You cannot get this pedigree of staff or this animation detail with traditional funding, especially with a new, unknown IP. If we wanted a simple franchise with little thought or effort, we could do that. We, however, are lobbying for something much higher!

So what about Little Witch Academia and Kick Heart?

Well, 1) Check the animation. Waaaaaay different production values here. 2) These were in-house productions. 3) LWA2 was after $150k for 10 minutes. They raised over our goal amount but they also had a dedicated fan base due to their 1st episode screening. If they were doing 24 minutes then their budget would have been ~$300k which is not a far cry from what we are doing here given the differences in animation effort. 4) Kick Heart was the same deal as LWA2. 10 minutes with a completely different production value.

faridmon

This is the first season I am watching more than 2 shows weekly. Could be my favorite season in years.

Mob Psycho 100
Orange Days
Handa-Kun
91 Days (could very well end up my AOTY if the writing keeps on being amazing)
Battery

Loving each and everyone!

Re:Zero Episode 17 spoilers:

But Satella's hands killed Emilia >_>

The same hands that fondled Subaru's heart.

True but for me that's like save-scumming dialogue choices in a VN/RPG, Satella couldn't have his ability revealed so it doesn't matter that
Emilia dies as a direct consequence
as Subaru can be counted on to reset things.

Cornbread78

From what I've heard, the LNs haven't continued at all compared to the anime save for some short side stories or something. If that isn't the case, then I'd really love to get a list of LN volumes that weren't covered in the anime so that I can get them while I'm in Japan, just like I did with Kokoro Connect.

There's certain series that are ultimately an advertisement to continue in the manga/LN and stop way before the current publishes material is at. Other series literally don't have enough material released yet to continue the show.

Re:Zero is the latter. By the last episode there won't be much left of the currently released LN to adapt.

Either way, we won't be getting the full story. If we do, it will be years away. I knew that going in, but it still hurts each and every time, lol.

Ain't the SNAFU guy busy with Qualidea Code or something?

Edit: Unless you meant Re:Zero :p

JulianImp

Either way, we won't be getting the full story. If we do, it will be years away. I knew that going in, but it still hurts each and every time, lol.

At least Re:Zero isn't guaranteed no anime follow-up, unlike Kokoro Connect. I wish we could get the later arcs in animated form, and that'd mean more Sawashiro as well.

Ain't the SNAFU guy busy with Qualidea Code or something?

Edit: Unless you meant Re:Zero :p

The point I was trying to make there was that SNAFU wasn't a "read the LN" ending either, since the anime is supposedly up to date since there haven't been any new LN volumes for quite a while now.

Orange - 05

Man I feel bad for Suwa. Such a good guy. I have to wonder if the present self of hers will end up falling for him because of everything that he is doing for her.

Russ T

Banned
man re:zero

dialogue was mostly surprisingly okay! but some of those lines ("FROM ZERO!") were terrrrrible

subaru finally realized he's been a complete piece of shit to everyone, and rem was there to remind him that he wasn't ALWAYS a piece of shit, he has good moments every other blue moon, and he should embrace those parts of himself - good moment

rem completely and totally bared her soul to subaru, who proceeded to immediately reject her, good on you for being honest after trying to manipulate rem only fifteen minutes earlier - good moment

bad on you for not fucking apologizing lmao - bad moment

and man why are you so obsessed with emilia, i feel like that's the only lesson you DIDN'T learn, i understand that she was your "first love" or whatever, but c'mon - bad moment

so conflicted

some really good things

some really dumb things

i think this is the episode where it finally goes to shit, and it'll just be all downhill from here

oh well, at least it'll be a fun ride (i hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom