• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under the Dog

I don't have much to add to what duckroll said. It's a solid action pilot with an edgy premise, but aside from the anti-poetry attached to the concept ("It's our job to kill our hope. Still there is hope.") it wasn't so dumb that I wouldn't watch more. As somebody who struggles with pureblooded horror, I appreciate when horror elements crop up in other genres, so the monster intro scene was unexpected and welcome. Genetic manipulation or whateverthefuck has gone wrong again! The pitch footage being AWOL was disappointing. I kept waiting for Anthea CQC and bike chaos but then it ended. I got Anthea tiddy instead I guess. Ando sukebei.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
tumblr_ntc5e7dcSy1u86t2qo3_540.gif

When did this happen? The Second Season? What did he do?

The point I was trying to make there was that SNAFU wasn't a "read the LN" ending either, since the anime is supposedly up to date since there haven't been any new LN volumes for quite a while now.

Oh right, was commenting on your interest in getting the LNs (and the lack of new ones to get).

Ascheroth

This is the first season I am watching more than 2 shows weekly. Could be my favorite season in years.

Mob Psycho 100
Orange Days
Handa-Kun
91 Days (could very well end up my AOTY if the writing keeps on being amazing)
Battery

Loving each and everyone!

Give Alderamin on the Sky a try.
It's been great.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
man re:zero

dialogue was mostly surprisingly okay! but some of those lines ("FROM ZERO!") were terrrrrible

subaru finally realized he's been a complete piece of shit to everyone, and rem was there to remind him that he wasn't ALWAYS a piece of shit, he has good moments every other blue moon, and he should embrace those parts of himself - good moment

rem completely and totally bared her soul to subaru, who proceeded to immediately reject her, good on you for being honest after trying to manipulate rem only fifteen minutes earlier - good moment

bad on you for not fucking apologizing lmao - bad moment

and man why are you so obsessed with emilia, i feel like that's the only lesson you DIDN'T learn, i understand that she was your "first love" or whatever, but c'mon - bad moment

so conflicted

some really good things

some really dumb things

i think this is the episode where it finally goes to shit, and it'll just be all downhill from here

oh well, at least it'll be a fun ride (i hope)
I don't know how you can come to that conclusion when the show has been consistently exceeding expectations.

Russ T

Banned
I don't know how you can come to that conclusion when the show has been consistently exceeding expectations.

because the conclusion to the episode did not instill me with much faith - the continued obsession with emilia in particular - this was The Turning Point for subaru! he learned only half the lesson he should have! it's possible there will be Another Turning Point, but this late in the series it seems unlikely. granted, i don't know how far the LNs go relative to where we are now

and also i don't really agree that it's been consistently exceeding expectations at all

it has, however, been consistently good

well... mostly consistent

blurr

Danganronpa 3 Future 04

Tengan was scary af,
I legit assumed he's the killer until final scene happened

Love that this is filled with action and constant conflict albeit out of false accusations.

Kimura Seiko is one of the more interesting new characters. Clearly she is scary and has a compelling portrayal with her tense countenance and demeanour.

The ED hits the spot every time.

Re:Zero 18

Episode 18 served as a great contrast from episode 15. What we got there was an episode in which we saw Subaru break physically and emotionally. This all happened due to his obsession to take action.

In this episode we see the complete opposite. We see a guy that has given up on everything. Although Rem wouldn't have understood so due to the nature of Revival through Death being a secret to everyone, Subaru truly has been through it all. Enough to break an entire army of people emotionally. The triumph from that came in the form of him realizing how worthless he really is. How small he is when put in this situation. He is but a person with no skills, no ambition, trying to save the world essentially since
Emilia's death leads to Puck destroying it basically.

The heartfelt emotion put into the dialogue between Subaru and Rem was truly captivating, and something that as I saw mentioned here, captures some of that Monogatari skill of gluing the viewer to the screen even when there isn't action happening. The soundtrack in the background and the various effects and lighting elevated the scene to a point where the delivery from both sideswas beautifully painful to watch.

Subaru's fixation for Emilia still shows even after Rem said everything she did, and that is the proof that Subaru is back in the game. The easy path would simply be to accept this confession. He seems to have decided to move forward from here with Rem as the support he needs.

Although many may think this is a sad outcome for her, let's remember that she herself said that Subaru affected her life in a great way, something that wouldn't have happened otherwise. Cultures are different from that world and ours, and she is a maid at the end of the day. If her past was any indication, her past was devoid of any ambition but to match up with her sister.

Ultimately, was this episode worth the praise? I believe so. Not in terms of action, or direction mind you. This isn't episode 15. This was a great episode in terms of the writer having Subaru acknowledge everything that was wrong about this character and addressing it.

sonicmj1

Under the Dog

This was a thing. The action was good and nicely over-the-top in the way that it needed to be. Plenty of dismemberment and a bare tit to really drive home that late-90s OVA vibe. I think I expected the production values to be a little bit better, but that's mostly in the early scene-setting stuff, not the action setpieces.

And that's basically the point of this whole exercise, so the fact that Jiro Oshii's dialogue comes out sounding like Kojima at his clumsiest doesn't bother me that much. All this "killing the light of our hope" stuff just makes painfully explicit what should be implicitly clear.

I basically got what I paid for, so I can't complain too much.

Everything except for his obsession with Emilia, anyway.

I think it's 1 of 2 things I've mentioned before.

Subaru was a NEET that no one cared about in Japan. Emilia was the first girl to give him the time of day and rely on him for something. It might be silly, but people have fallen for each other for even more petty reasons.

Second, it could be something that TUSR mentioned a few pages back:
manipulation from the witch's side

Cornbread78

Kaiba ep.4
oiPX2lR.jpg
5fy67DS.jpg

Beautiful episode that added a little emotional depth into a completely funky story. The love story wasn't even related to the main characters situation, but it was written extremely well and puts and emphasis on growing old together and making sure you pay attention to all the little things going on around you along the way. At the same time, understanding what effect you have personally on those things around you. There is something really mystical about the way this anime is presented and it's captivating to watch... Very good stuff here.

Russ T

Banned

Subaru was a NEET that no one cared about in Japan. Emilia was the first girl to give him the time of day and rely on him for something. It might be silly, but people have fallen for each other for even more petty reasons.

In fiction, sure. I rarely think it's a good thing, and I definitely don't here. Especially when he, a sadlonelyboy, literally has a girl right in front of him confessing deep and apparently completely forgiving love for him. Sure, maybe he didn't feel that way before, but there's no way that wouldn't stir SOMETHING in somebody who's never experienced real love before.

Besides, the majority (yes i'm exaggerating) of his interactions with Emilia at this point have been watching her die or her yelling at him.

Yeah that thought had crossed my mind. Her giving the name Satella the first time they met certainly lends credence to that theory. I hope it is the case. I suppose we'll see!

In fiction, sure. I rarely think it's a good thing, and I definitely don't here. Especially when he, a sadlonelyboy, literally has a girl right in front of him confessing deep and apparently completely forgiving love for him. Sure, maybe he didn't feel that way before, but there's no way that wouldn't stir SOMETHING in somebody who's never experienced real love before.

Besides, the majority (yes i'm exaggerating) of his interactions with Emilia at this point have been watching her die or her yelling at him.

Yeah that thought had crossed my mind. Her giving the name Satella the first time they met certainly lends credence to that theory. I hope it is the case. I suppose we'll see!

Yeah even that bit with Puck from the latest episode had me questioning a few things in regards to both her and the witch. I am sad that we most likely won't get any answers to these questions since the show is close to ending. They still have quite a few episodes left, but idk how far they can go, assuming that things will begin rolling for real starting next Sunday.

It sure is great to have a show like this spurring all kinds of conversation on here. This place totally lights up after a Sunday. I can usually go a whole day without coming on here and I'll maybe see a page or two that I missed. Re:Zero airs and I've got 4 to read. Sure this is nothing compared to the old days, but as far as present day AnimeGAF goes, this is quite refreshing.

Sterok

Precure All-Stars the Movie ~ Everybody Sing! Miraculous Magic!

So the last All Stars movie was complete garbage and one of the low points of the series. This is the second movie of this trilogy, and they tend to be the worst. Does the trend continue?
Looks like this is more of a Disney movie than last year's CG dance fest. So they acknowledge Kirara should be gone, but Towa is still around? Well that's not something they'll ever be able to deal with. Probably for the better. Riko is the one blowing their identity this time. Of course. Fights are legit hype this time. Going for an All Stars 3 feeling with separating Miracle and Magical. If the villains are after Precure tears, they really should be targeting Smile. I think they still have some leftovers from Pierrot.

Damn, going up against big bads this time. DokiDoki and HaCha hype is great. I'm annoyed once again that most of the Cures got captured off-screen, though it's not as bad this time since they probably put up a fight. And we got some funnies out of them at least. Peach, Blossom, Melody, and Happy's lack of coordination was great. Why is Lulun getting a big role? And why is she calling for Black when she's Luminous's fairy? Echo hype. Nice to see her just part of the group now. I think we got every big bad except Desperiah. Odd omission since Noise turned good as well.

Backstory blah blah. It was all right, though it went on longer than I would've liked. Sorcielle and Trauma are still some of the better All Stars villains. Final battle isn't the best, but the song was nice, and it was better than what we got last year. Marine failing to catch Happy was lol. Still the scene stealer like always. Mildly disappointed that Sorcielle didn't become a Precure, but it's not a big deal. Some day I hope we get an extended scene of the post battle party. Nice ending song, and Echo finally gets to join them.

Actually legit good this time. Villains weren't garbage, fights were amazing, there was an actual plot, and it really felt like there was genuine effort put into this. Not much inter-team banter so All Stars 3 still remains the best, but this is a must see. Please deliver more of these from now on.

petran79

Banned
I watched the movie Harmony and found it overall a solid experience. Had not seen anything Takashi Nakamura was involved for quite a while. He co-directed with Michael Arias. Last feature I had seen was Fantastic Children.

It was not the story that stood out that much, since according to some the novel is better. But the way the characters interact and their melancholy is a trend of that director. Compared to his previous projects (Peter Pan, Palme no Ki, Catnapped, Fantastic Children), it reached new heights, much more mature. Prefer this approach to Anno's tbh

Tried also watching The Empire of Corpses...
Watched one hour, stopped, fast forwarded to see few seconds, stopped, exited the player and shift-deleted that crap, never to watch it again....

Russ T

Banned
Yeah even that bit with Puck from the latest episode had me questioning a few things in regards to both her and the witch. I am sad that we most likely won't get any answers to these questions since the show is close to ending. They still have quite a few episodes left, but idk how far they can go, assuming that things will begin rolling for real starting next Sunday.

It sure is great to have a show like this spurring all kinds of conversation on here. This place totally lights up after a Sunday. I can usually go a whole day without coming on here and I'll maybe see a page or two that I missed. Re:Zero airs and I've got 4 to read. Sure this is nothing compared to the old days, but as far as present day AnimeGAF goes, this is quite refreshing.

Yeah it's certainly a fun ride. It does feel like it's reaching the end of an arc, but it also doesn't feel like, if the story is concluding here and now (perhaps with an anime ending), it will be enough. ):

OH WELL!

Now to wait for next Sunday...

Yeah it's certainly a fun ride. It does feel like it's reaching the end of an arc, but it also doesn't feel like, if the story is concluding here and now (perhaps with an anime ending), it will be enough. ):

OH WELL!

Now to wait for next Sunday...

I am certainly hoping we get a second season for this. I do wonder how long it would be until we saw it though.

SOLDIER

I would love it even more if that was the case.

I'm convinced at this point that Re: Zero isn't so much a deconstruction of SAO and other "transported to another world" fantasy stories, but rather a deconstruction of the concept of a main character.

A lot of Subaru's recent problems arose from the self-entitlement he had, thinking that characters had to immediately take his word on things, or that he can turn any bad situation around if he acts on impulse, and so on.

The latest episode started with the most logical decision anyone would make at that point, which was
screw y'all, I'm out

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Mob Psycho 100 Episode 4:

I feel like watching a whole bunch of Yu Yu Hakusho after this episode, which is not the worst idea in the world when I think about it.

Mob Psycho 100 Episode 04

This is turning into Diamond is Unbreakable where there isn't much to say beyond how slick and great everything looked. The episodes never fail to look visually interesting.

Goshdarned Ruffles Future 04

Wow that was a straight forward twist for once. I think everyone called that a while ago.

Under the Duck

Decent. Not something I'll remember in a week.

Didn't Narag tell me this was getting better

Moaradin

Berserk is getting better. Obviously the CG will always look like shit, but at least the story and pacing isn't a mess like it was during the first couple episodes.

Ascheroth

Mob Psycho 100 #4

My favorite episode as of yet.
Seasoning City. Salt Middle School. Black Vinegar Middle School. MobDonalds.
Loving those location names lol.

The body builders are the best bros. Reigens Graphical Exorcism was hilarious.
The contrast between Mob and his brother was very nicely highlighted and Dimple is a really good addition and brings energy into Mobs scenes.

gargles

Danganronpa 3: Future - 4

(UDG is now necessary to understand this anime)

Oh hell no,
Monaca's
back. It kinda makes she could be the killer, since she was next to
Chisa
and
Gozu
right before they died. But that would be somewhat predictable. Want to see where this is going.
And Tengan surprised me. That guy can deliver a punch (or a needle).
Overall, not a bad episode.

(and Kirigiri is still as cute and calm as ever)

Mob Psycho 100 - 4

Everything works, everything is on point. And with this added depth, MP100 is going on the right track. No way I wasn't impressed with this episode. And next week's can be even better.

Sweetness and Lightning - 05

I've never made doughnuts before , I should give it a try. Doesn't seem too complicated and it's something everyone in my house enjoys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom