• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sword Art Online

I had heard about this series and was bored today so I thought I would give it a try. I'm really liking it so far (currently on episode 8 or so) and I find the premise very intriguing. I've never played an MMO before but the making friends aspect of it seems cool. It's also interesting since the VR craze just came about. It's also cool how it's in medieval settings but people have stats, inventories, etc lol. The characters are cool too.

Aincrad is amazing. Kirito too.

Cornbread78

Sword Art Online

I had heard about this series and was bored today so I thought I would give it a try. I'm really liking it so far (currently on episode 8 or so) and I find the premise very intriguing. I've never played an MMO before but the making friends aspect of it seems cool. It's also interesting since the VR craze just came about. It's also cool how it's in medieval settings but people have stats, inventories, etc lol. The characters are cool too.

Yes. Hopefully, you continue to enjoy it.

Copper

Re:Zero Episode 18

Not too often we get to see an episode completely carried by dialogue. Apparently this was almost 1:1 adapted from the LN's. None the less I was completely absorbed the whole time. I am really hoping we get to see a second season.

Also
how in the world could you reject such perfection as Rem?!? I actually felt quite bad for her after this.

I refuse to look because it will be adapted at some point. Why ruin the watch?

I don't really know if it's that oblivious that it going to get adapted, after all, most anime exist with the purpose of promoting the manga / light novel their based off of, so with no ongoing manga, the interest in adapting the ending is significantly less so, since for whatever reason it no ones really interested in promoting a series that already ended (expect for odd exceptions like Parasyte or Ushio & Tora, but usually in those cases there's some reason like an anniversary or something, don't know if that was the case for those two though). Plus. the sales of the second season weren't really that great, so I'd say you will probably never see a third season of Nisekoi.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm starting to think his obsession with Emilia might have something to do with his curse. That or it's typical "first girl wins" bad writing.

Satella is just making him get obsessed with the look. Once she is free she'll want her beloved to herself.

Ill never understand this. In a world in which Kakeru doesnt die it is blasphemous writing that she could potentially end up with Kakeru?

In a world that doesn't revollve around anime fans necessity to boil down everything to best girl/boy, then yes it'd be pretty fucked up if she's happily married and with a child in the future, and is writing letters to encourage her past self to do things that could potentially not only save a friend, which would be fine, but also get with him too without being absolutely sure she'd still end up with her current family. If she were unhappy that'd be a different story.

Today's episode specifically addressed this...

Spoil me as to how, I don't care about spoilers but knowing why might make me keep watching.

Funny thing
This is kinda his thoughts in the LN
Really? That gives me a small ray of hope :'v hopefully it's just the curse making him obsessed with Emilia more than anything and then he gets back to his senses once Satella has no grip on him
Re:Zero 18

So here's what I thought was gonna happen and make things ten times worse for viewers:

Rem would accept his offer and then we'd get a happy long life and kids montage ending in both their deaths of old age....and then he'd wake up back in the market.

True suffering and I would've loved it.

Yeah I was expecting this to happen, it would have been suffering of the cruelist kind. But in a way it would have helped him, he would have a true goal, to get Emilia saved so that he could recover his family.

animated goshiki tsutomu soon!!!
CovjvaTUsAAowhW.jpg:large

blakep267

Re:Zeeo 18

yo fuck Subaru. I was feeling bad for the character about all the stuff that happens to him but nah. Not anymore. He was right about himself. He is human garbage. Like make a character more unlikeable , author. Like what has Emilia done besides be the first girl introduced. She's essentially the same as Rem from a interactions with Subaru standpoint

Good episode though even though it was basically filler besides the confession and getting him back on track

Stil, if Prison School sinks the KiyoshixHana ship I may lose it

Strimei

Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet 9

I'm really glad my friend suggested KoS to me. Once I got used to the CG, I fell in love with this show. It scratches my mecha itch quite well and is fun too.

Tanikaze's got himself one very strange harem, though, and from what I've heard it gets stranger.

I will say I kinda preferred the ending to the first season, battle-wise, though
the return of the Crimson Hawk Moth, while unsurprising, was an awesome, and creepy, sight. I had expected some final surprise, though. I was betting on Planet 9 being a giant Gauna, especially due to those floating islands.

I need a third season. Maybe once Blame! is done (which, speaking of, the little cameo it had was awesome and I can't wait for it either)

Jintor

I'm in the book publishing district of Tokyo and there was a giant billboard of Asuna and Kirito on a building.

No additional info to offer. I gotta say, light novel covers all look the goddamn same.

I'm in the book publishing district of Tokyo and there was a giant billboard of Asuna and Kirito on a building.

No additional info to offer. I gotta say, light novel covers all look the goddamn same.

Yep. It's always depressing to look at a light novel shelf in a bookstore and see a sea of indistinguishable ugly girls.

Jintor

Also, is log horizon still the only mmo anime that deals more with actual mmo topics like guild politics and high level raids? Sao always struck me as like the author hadn't actually played any MMOs at a serious level

Narag

Also, is log horizon still the only mmo anime that deals more with actual mmo topics like guild politics and high level raids? Sao always struck me as like the author hadn't actually played any MMOs at a serious level

One of the early afterwords has the author saying he envisioned the SAO characters to be what it was like to play in top gear etc as he never had a chance to.

edit: here we go
I have previously also played some online games. But no matter in what game, I have never been part of a high-ranking group. I merely envied those eternally strong players with the best equipment and reputation, one after another easily defeating monsters, and afterwards feeling that they were "So skilled! So strong!" (haha)

Shit I'm losing my mental sharpness lately. Saw Unlimited Blade Works in my recommended videos on Youtube with a run-time that seemed about right and decided to watch it for some reason.

Took me ten minutes before I came to my senses and realized it was the awful DEEN version from 2010.

Well that's ten minutes of my life I'm not getting back.

Strimei

Shit I'm losing my mental sharpness lately. Saw Unlimited Blade Works in my recommended videos on Youtube with a run-time that seemed about right and decided to watch it for some reason.

Took me ten minutes before I came to my senses and realized it was the awful DEEN version from 2010.

Well that's ten minutes of my life I'm not getting back.

I actually thought DEEN's UBW wasn't...too bad. I mean, its not good, but I could watch it.

Then again, my introduction to the Nasuverse in general was via DEEN's '06 adaptation so I was probably used to that sorta thing.

This never fails to make me crack up, though.

Baalzebup

The visuals are reasonably tasteful; this did air on broadcast TV after all. I just think this is a lame excuse to give Guts and Casca quasi-sexual contact. I didn't buy Guts' reasoning that a fire lit in the cave would be likely to signal their enemies. And as you point out, the first time, when Casca was ordered by Griffith to sleep naked next to Guts, was even more dubious.

Umm, why? The reasoning is very sound, as a fire sizable enough to offer any real warmth would stick out like a sore thumb. Random light sources draw eyes like nothing else when visibility drops due to lack of light and you are in an environment where light sources are not a common occurrence. It is pretty much the visual equivalent of shouting if you think your enemies might be looking for you.

kewlmyc

Umm, why? The reasoning is very sound, as a fire sizable enough to offer any real warmth would stick out like a sore thumb. Random light sources draw eyes like nothing else when visibility drops due to lack of light and you are in an environment where light sources are not a common occurrence. It is pretty much the visual equivalent of shouting if you think your enemies might be looking for you.

That and the smoke would be an obvious giveaway. Smoke rises after all and it's easy to see in a forest.

They appear to be deep inside a cave which opens a short distance from the river inside a deep valley. The chance of enemy soldiers seeing a fire lit there, while not nonexistent, seems fairly slim to me. Not that I've ever been in a position to try it out myself, of course. Now, what would cause difficulty for making a fire, of course, would be the torrential rain occurring. It would be hard to find materials dry enough to be suitable for making a fire. That seems like a more sensible path of reason for Guts to take in this situation.

But it's not like I'm particularly upset with Guts, since what he's doing here is in character, I'm just not fond of the way Berserk is handling its narrative and the situations it likes to put its characters in. I don't feel like giving the series the benefit of the doubt, since it feels like Casca's main purpose in being prominent here is to allow for an edge of sexual violence on top of the simple physical violence.

Baalzebup

They appear to be deep inside a cave which opens a short distance from the river inside a deep valley. The chance of enemy soldiers seeing a fire lit there, while not nonexistent, seems fairly slim to me. Not that I've ever been in a position to try it out myself, of course. Now, what would cause difficulty for making a fire, of course, would be the torrential rain occurring. It would be hard to find materials dry enough to be suitable for making a fire. That seems like a more sensible path of reason for Guts to take in this situation.

But it's not like I'm particularly upset with Guts, since what he's doing here is in character, I'm just not fond of the way Berserk is handling its narrative and the situations it likes to put its characters in. I don't feel like giving the series the benefit of the doubt, since it feels like Casca's main purpose in being prominent here is to allow for an edge of sexual violence on top of the simple physical violence.

The fire, while not directly visible by and itself, would reflect from the cave walls and ceiling, basically lighting up the whole damn thing, including the entrance. The contrast between the surrounding environment would be the key factor.
I agree about Casca though. While she is established as basically the 3rd most competent fighter in the Band, behind Guts and Griffith, her overall screentime in the series doesn't portray it very often or very well, barring one upcoming exception.

Kvik

Will there be additional omake episodes (Re:Zero ~break time~) ? I love watching those especially after heavy episodes like the last one.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Re:Zero 18

So here's what I thought was gonna happen and make things ten times worse for viewers:

Rem would accept his offer and then we'd get a happy long life and kids montage ending in both their deaths of old age....and then he'd wake up back in the market.

True suffering and I would've loved it.
I was kind of thinking the same thing while he asked the question, honestly. There's no coming back from that though, he'd be absolutely insane and the show would have to end.

Also I need to review what came out earlier this year, but this is AOTY for sure. I can't imagine another show with such high production value, characterization, and the amount discussion it has generated. It's in a class all in its own right now.

Edit: Rakugo was really good too.

Nephtis

Re:Zeeo 18

yo fuck Subaru. I was feeling bad for the character about all the stuff that happens to him but nah. Not anymore. He was right about himself. He is human garbage. Like make a character more unlikeable , author. Like what has Emilia done besides be the first girl introduced. She's essentially the same as Rem from a interactions with Subaru standpoint

Good episode though even though it was basically filler besides the confession and getting him back on track

Stil, if Prison School sinks the KiyoshixHana ship I may lose it

Why the hate though? I mean,
we all feel bad for Rem. However, Subaru has his heart set on Emilia - it would have been stupid to not come clean and tell Rem directly that he loves Emilia.

It's much, much better when you set a relationship foundation on complete and total honesty. It doesn't mean it won't change, but right now, it is what it is. And she's ok with it, even if it hurts her.

Why the hate though? I mean,
we all feel bad for Rem. However, Subaru has his heart set on Emilia - it would have been stupid to not come clean and tell Rem directly that he loves Emilia.

It's much, much better when you set a relationship foundation on complete and total honesty. It doesn't mean it won't change, but right now, it is what it is. And she's ok with it, even if it hurts her.

Yep, things change and being honest with each other will probably just get them closer to each other. They both rejected each other anyways. She didn't take his once in a lifetime offer, and Subaru loves another at this time. Best girl will win eventually once Satella is dead :'v

KraytarJ

ReZero 17 & 18
So after a little break I come back and I must say, I don't remember the last time I've been this invested and absorbed into an anime. It seems like so much stuff I get the chance to watch ends up faltering in dialogue, or characters, or story but here, so far, it's been incredible. From seeing the constant mindfucks in episode 17, is Rem an actual person in this world? I'd say yes but holy damn is the white whale powerful. Like how does that even work, after Rem takes it on she's removed from existence but Otto recites a tale about a specific Master Swordsman losing to it. Then perhaps the best recap/look-forward episode I've ever seen. Usually these things are total filler and yet we get a ton of character development here with Subaru finally coming to grips with his own limitations, perhaps a bit too far for a bit there, and in the end continuing to maintain his love for Emilia, signifying that while he acknowledges who he is, he's not instantly a new person able to see through the shit that used to mire him. I'm just sad it's almost over. So far at least this is my AOTY and it's not close.

Arslan S2 Episode 5
Guys, I can't believe the slave owning money grubbing poor hating merchant would betray Scooby and the gang!?

To be fair, at least the plot is moving along, and things look like they'll be kicking off next week. (Why are they burning the blind woman again?)

blurr

On Rakugo, it is my AotY so far but my only gripe was the character animation which is something I've mentioned while it was airing(in episode 9 however there was some great character art and sequences that really stood out for me) - while satisfactory for most of the part I felt it was lacking at times.

Relatively recently I watched Kaguya for which I've looked up animators who worked on scenes I liked in Sakugabooru: Shinji Hashimoto and Hiroyuki Morita. I believe I had a discussion with Hosanna where I said I'd look up animators I feel would do great albeit I am no expert on the matter so pardon me if I made a wrong assumption/mistake. Feel free to correct me.

Hashimoto worked on this magnificent scene which is probably my favorite sequence in the film but for Rakugo I was "expecting" character animation along the lines of Morita's work (admittedly, a lot of those are excerpts from movies than a TV series which is produced under considerably different constraints).

Contrary to my expectations when I actually watched some Rakugo on YouTube (live action i.e.), the show isn't off the mark - the movement is mostly verbal with restrained/simple gestures. Morita's work involves a lot of character movement which wasn't the case with Rakugo.

Just putting down some thoughts and research I did here for perspective. Let me know if I made a mistake.

Eumi

Continuing that tone I like from 1b, I'm probably gonna stick with this after all. It's still painfully generic and I honestly got really worried by that harem in the op, but I love the idea of looping time to fight an enemy you don't have a chance of beating.

Also that soundtrack is killer. I'm honestly suprised I haven't seen any discussion of it, or maybe it was buried in the spoilers stuff I avoided, cause I get legit chills whenever that creeping theme starts.

Nephtis

Continuing that tone I like from 1b, I'm probably gonna stick with this after all. It's still painfully generic and I honestly got really worried by that harem in the op, but I love the idea of looping time to fight an enemy you don't have a chance of beating.

Also that soundtrack is killer. I'm honestly suprised I haven't seen any discussion of it, or maybe it was buried in the spoilers stuff I avoided, cause I get legit chills whenever that creeping theme starts.

Boy are you in for a surprise.

Berserk Episode 5
legit_only_good_thing.png

I look at these brief flashes of actual quality, and I wonder what could have been.

There were multiple times in this episode where I just burst out laughing at how poorly directed this thing is. The camera work continues to be something else.. Like the scene where it rolls on its side while trying to establish that the group of mercs have been surrounded by Kushan scouts. Or the scene where it cuts to and away from Gut's bag so fast, I had to go back and pause the video to see what it was trying to show. It's like the camera has become sentient, and is trying to jump off this ride.

blurr

I feel like you're conflating acting and animation somewhat. For example: https://sakuga.yshi.org/post/show/6008/animated-character_acting-porco_rosso-shinji_otsuk. The gestures here are simple too, but the animation is nuanced.

I haven't seen Rakugo, so I can't comment on how well animated it is or isn't.

yea, I think "restrained" is a better term for it, not 'simple'; at least in Rakugo it feels like the performer is consciously maintaining how he/she moves

Mandelbo

it feels like Casca's main purpose in being prominent here is to allow for an edge of sexual violence on top of the simple physical violence.[/b]

This was one of my biggest problems with Berserk too - whenever something's threatening Casca it's almost always sexual in nature, whether it's the nobleman trying to rape her in the carriage as a child,
the soldiers taking the time to stop and attempting to rape her before they kill her, as well as the repeated threat of being forced into prostitution if she's captured.
I understand that it's kind of the point that in a way Casca's biggest enemy is her gender, but it got tiresome for me, not only because it's predictable, but it also undermines her physical strength - as has already been said, she's one of the best fighters in the Band of the Hawk but that so often takes a back seat in favor of pushing sexual vulnerability.

barybll

Banned
Really? That gives me a small ray of hope :'v hopefully it's just the curse making him obsessed with Emilia more than anything and then he gets back to his senses once Satella has no grip on him

There are some of subaru thoughts that didnt go in the anime.
He feels VERY guilt for making rem fall for him, he loves the girl but feels like he has given a "curse" to her since he cant give her the love she deserves and wants because of his feelings for emilia.

Im not sure if they will ever mention it.

zulux21

just checked to see if any new light novels are on sale on amazon for prices similar to a sale on rightstuf and the following are on sale for preorder.

Re:ZERO, Vol. 3 - light novel (Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-) $8.97 (2 is also on sale)
BAKEMONOGATARI, Part 3 $8.53
The Irregular at Magic High School, Vol. 3 - light novel $8.97
Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon? Sword Oratoria, Vol. 1 - light novel (and 2) $8.97
A Certain Magical Index, Vol. 10 - light novel $8.97
Log Horizon, Vol. 7 - light novel $8.97

Szadek

Berserk Episode 5
I look at these brief flashes of actual quality, and I wonder what could have been.

There were multiple times in this episode where I just burst out laughing at how poorly directed this thing is. The camera work continues to be something else.. Like the scene where it rolls on its side while trying to establish that the group of mercs have been surrounded by Kushan scouts. Or the scene where it cuts to and away from Gut's bag so fast, I had to go back and pause the video to see what it was trying to show. It's like the camera has become sentient, and is trying to jump off this ride.
I guess the camera still never stops moving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom