• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Alderamin in the Sky ep.6
Well now, looks like shit is really going to go down next week. Ikkun being Ikkun was fun to watch this episode and I really want to know what he found at thd end..

Gvitor

Danganronpa Future 04

Oh look, it's that
shitty brat from that shitty game. I hope she dies.

But after Asahina, I don't think they have the balls. Probably nothing of consequence will come out of these shows.

Japan Fuck Yeah, coming again for Sawano Puppet Action yeah

I'm loving this show so much. I mean I'm getting the two shows I've always wanted this season: HBO mafia drama, and a dnd anime. Only the latter is technically not DnD but by damn it's the closest thing to any DnD campaign of a team of people with different values and goals joining forces in a fantasy setting to go take care of some ultimate evil each with a unique skill they bring to the team.

I'm getting annoyed that the lead hasn't had a chance to show his true skills since the first episode though. And killing random mobs doesn't count. So far he has complained and is APPARENTLY a badass, but let me see it.

What? It's 7 episodes total?

If you watch the episode you'd get the joke I guess.

Quasar

Japan Fuck Yeah, coming again for Sawano Puppet Action yeah

I'm loving this show so much. I mean I'm getting the two shows I've always wanted this season: HBO mafia drama, and a dnd anime. Only the latter is technically not DnD but by damn it's the closest thing to any DnD campaign of a team of people with different values and goals joining forces in a fantasy setting to go take care of some ultimate evil each with a unique skill they bring to the team.

I'm getting annoyed that the lead hasn't had a chance to show his true skills since the first episode though. And killing random mobs doesn't count. So far he has complained and is APPARENTLY a badass, but let me see it.

What anime is that? Or what version of DnD for that matter? :)

Alderamin is not far off what D&D was like for me. Well it would need more elves and dwarves and spell casting. But that group of oddities with different roles in the group is pretty rpg like for me.

Cant wait
CpssShiW8AANDHV.jpg:large

91 Days 6

Fango's crazy ass continues to be the best part of the show. The way he loves saying his own name lmao. This whole episode can be summarized as mafia: the tv show. Betrayal here, betrayal there, everybody gets betrayals.

And that ending took a direction I wasn't expecting to the point that making my reference would immediately give away my ending.

What anime is that? Or what version of DnD for that matter? :)

Alderamin is not far off what D&D was like for me. Well it would need more elves and dwarves and spell casting. But that group of oddities with different roles in the group is pretty rpg like for me.

I was just being an asshole with the Thunderbolt title.

It follows the basic DnD tropes of most parties and how they're formed, not to mention what they have to face in these upcoming trials feels like an RPG campaign.

Clov

Viz has announced that they're going to be releasing the Ranma 1/2 films and OVAs on one BD set next year.

Also, I posted about Sentai's news earlier, but there was something else I missed; they confirmed that their Legend of the Galactic Heroes license includes the whole main OVA series, the Gaiden OVAs, and all three movies. That's pretty nice! The movies had decent transfers if I'm remembering right, so I might pick those up.

On a final note, some bad news for Saint Seiya fans; someone asked the people who run Discotek about how Lost Canvas sold, and apparently it did horrible. I wouldn't expect any more Saint Seiya from Discotek.

Edit:
Funimation just licensed Sword of the Stranger! If you don't have the previous BD release by Bandai, it's a pretty fantastic action film worth picking up for the sword fights alone.

Alderamin - 06

Uh guess I forgot about this show when we talked about cool OPs this season. The OP is actually pretty good here.

So next week we get to see the rebellion then. I'm curious about what Ikta saw down there.

Gvitor

Danganronpa Despair 04

Nagito is love, Nagito is life.

Best character in the whole goddamn series.

I thought I was hearing characters singing in these series, but this episode confirmed it: Nagito's VA is definitely singing the ED this episode.

Also, that Shokugeki reference. And Haruhi as well.

Fall saved!
CpsuplYWgAAHmKA.jpg:large
Dang it, I wish Funi didn't grab Monster Hunter Stories.

I see that you and some folks are following this one somewhat closely. Do we know if this is supposed to be like Yokai Watch, adapting the game's story, or if it will be an original one? The game is for sure going to make its way over and it looks kind of neat. I'd probably enjoy the story a lot more if I were to play it.

I see that you and some folks are following this one somewhat closely. Do we know if this is supposed to be like Yokai Watch, adapting the game's story, or if it will be an original one? The game is for sure going to make its way over and it looks kind of neat. I'd probably enjoy the story a lot more if I were to play it.

I don't know how close it'll be to the game, but I expect it'll be at least roughly the same story. It's the same protagonist and everything.

I wonder if the Monster Hunter anime will be as agonizingly boring to watch as it is to play like with God Eater

Monster Hunter Stories is going to be a colorful adventure show for kids, not an edgy angst show for brooding teens.

Dang it, I wish Funi didn't grab Monster Hunter Stories.

Why is that? We get a quick great dub and a reasonably priced home-video release within a year.

While I do think Crunchyroll is the better streaming site, funimation is better for everything else.

I wonder if the Monster Hunter anime will be as agonizingly boring to watch as it is to play like with God Eater

Maaaaaan why so negative!

Why is that? We get a quick great dub and a reasonably priced home-video release within a year.

While I do think Crunchyroll is the better streaming site, funimation is better for everything else.

I never watch English dubs and so don't care about them at all. Quality streaming video, on the other hand, is something I do care about.

I don't know how close it'll be to the game, but I expect it'll be at least roughly the same story. It's the same protagonist and everything.

The game looks like so much fun... I'll watch the first couple of episodes and see how I feel about it. If anything it'll work as a "demo" of sorts for when the game makes its way over.

I never watch English dubs and so don't care about them at all. Quality streaming video, on the other hand, is something I do care about.
Well I guess that makes sense.
The game looks like so much fun... I'll watch the first couple of episodes and see how I feel about it. If anything it'll work as a "demo" of sorts for when the game makes its way over.
Hoping the game WILL come over...I have some doubts it won't.

Thoraxes

Viz has announced that they're going to be releasing the Ranma 1/2 films and OVAs on one BD set next year.

Also, I posted about Sentai's news earlier, but there was something else I missed; they confirmed that their Legend of the Galactic Heroes license includes the whole main OVA series, the Gaiden OVAs, and all three movies. That's pretty nice! The movies had decent transfers if I'm remembering right, so I might pick those up.

On a final note, some bad news for Saint Seiya fans; someone asked the people who run Discotek about how Lost Canvas sold, and apparently it did horrible. I wouldn't expect any more Saint Seiya from Discotek.

Edit:
Funimation just licensed Sword of the Stranger! If you don't have the previous BD release by Bandai, it's a pretty fantastic action film worth picking up for the sword fights alone.

This is all good news to me.

Gvitor

Danganronpa Future 05

The fights continue to be stupid as hell and the hope guy's motives are still probably bullshit. So much potential for intrigue and mistery with the codes and they chalk it up to superpowers, drugs, monsters and swordfights...

91 Days - 06

I saw that last scene coming from a mile away!!!! It was glorious. Good show continues to be good.

A point that Woof has mentioned before and that I too am curious about is whether they are going to be skipping in days or not. Each episode is basically given a "day" at the start, and this is supposedly day 6. Now are the days correspondent to the amount of episodes, and at some point they will be doing a time skip? Does Avilio die on day 11? Or does this show really have 91 episodes (no way right)?

Hoping the game WILL come over...I have some doubts it won't.
Monster Hunter is all the rage amongst the grown up crowd. Also these new (and old) games aimed more at kids still fare really well, specially on the 3DS, look at Yokai's success in the West. They would be fools if they didn't bring it over. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it made its way over to us for the holidays, even though it's out in Japan in October.

Gvitor

Danganronpa Despair 05

Finally all caught up.

There are some nice nods and references to the games and the timeline of events in both shows, but that's about it. They don't really amount to anything new that's actually relevant (at least so far, and I really doubt they will).

In the end, probably all of the characters introduced will be dead and we'll be left with the same folks that were already alive to begin with. Or, if someone else survives and it's actually relevant to the next game, they'll be reintroduced extensively there, they won't just assume people have watched this. So basically, it's just filler to kill time.

But it gave us more Chiaki, Nagito, and episode 2 of the despair side, so I guess it's okay. I had fun despite all the complaints and will keep watching.

JulianImp

Danganronpa Future 05

The fights continue to be stupid as hell and the hope guy's motives are still probably bullshit. So much potential for intrigue and mistery with the codes and they chalk it up to superpowers, drugs, monsters and swordfights...

I kind of loathe ultimate abilities such as luck, programming or drug-making, since they're way more prone to ass-pulls than others such as martial arts, swimming or being a gangster, musician or dancer. "Oh look, everything worked out my way in the end because I have ultimate luck" or "good luck I've brought more of my regenerating, body-boosting drug" are all kinds of cringe-worthy to me for example, even though I know that some more mundane abilities could still be used to create insane plot points if the authors really wanted to (with some JoJo stands being the perfect example of that).

Clov

Danganronpa Despair 05

Finally all caught up.

There are some nice nods and references to the games and the timeline of events in both shows, but that's about it. They don't really amount to anything new that's actually relevant (at least so far, and I really doubt they will).

In the end, probably all of the characters introduced will be dead and we'll be left with the same folks that were already alive to begin with. Or, if someone else survives and it's actually relevant to the next game, they'll be reintroduced extensively there, they won't just assume people have watched this. So basically, it's just filler to kill time.

But it gave us more Chiaki, Nagito, and episode 2 of the despair side, so I guess it's okay. I had fun despite all the complaints and will keep watching.

Isn't Danganronpa v3 set in a new continuity, which is why this anime series is "The End of Hope's Peak Academy"? I thought it was meant to finish off the story of all the games so far, so that they could start fresh with v3.

Thoraxes

Isn't Danganronpa v3 set in a new continuity, which is why this anime series is "The End of Hope's Peak Academy"? I thought it was meant to finish off the story of all the games so far, so that they could start fresh with v3.

Yes.

Also boiling the events of both arcs down to "filler" is a ridiculous reduction. It's fleshing out a lot of backstory and in-universe events that were never properly given the explanation they deserved, and the future arc stuff is covering a lot of elements that were left open-ended in the previous 3 games.

Gvitor

Well, serves me right, I didn't know that. I thought V3 was going to be a continuation of the past 3 games, not a "fresh start".

Asahina's near death "joke" in the Future side early episodes got me in a state of disbelief in anything actually worthwhile coming out of this.

If they plan to somehow wrap it all up in ~8 episodes per side, count me intrigued.

ROUND VERNIAN VIFAM #1 Alien Attack! Escape from the Colony Planet!

A really nice first episode! Liking the characters so far and it has 2D mechs! Nintendoman should check it out :p. The eighties style of animations is always so stylish, very nice!
Monster Hunter is all the rage amongst the grown up crowd. Also these new (and old) games aimed more at kids still fare really well, specially on the 3DS, look at Yokai's success in the West. They would be fools if they didn't bring it over. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it made its way over to us for the holidays, even though it's out in Japan in October.
I hope you are right, since I really want to play this game! I love the artstyle so much. I already have a lot to play this year though so early next year Capcom please :p

I hope its good, Ive been waiting for years.
CpsuU20XEAAf17F.jpg

Oh never heard of this but I really like the art and the character designs. Were the impressions of this any good?

Just finally got to check out the new D.Gray-Man and I'm fucking loving this.

I read the manga but stopped after it went on that long hiatus so getting to watch this after having caught up is amaaaaazing *O*

Syrinx

Koufuku Graffiti 1-6

I said when talking about Sweetness & Lightning that I'm usually turned off by the theme of cooking, so it's a testament to how good and well-produced this show is that I'm still watching and plan to continue doing so. Kirin can be a little annoying at times but I like her relationship with Ryou, as well as the relationship both of them have developed with Shiina. One thing I'm interested in seeing is if they make an attempt toward the end to make Kirin a little less dependent on Ryou.

Just finally got to check out the new D.Gray-Man and I'm fucking loving this.

I read the manga but stopped after it went on that long hiatus so getting to watch this after having caught up is amaaaaazing *O*

I agree it's so good and they started animating one of my favourite arc, the Alma arc. My only real *problem* is the rushed paced at some places, but it really doesn't deter my enjoyment of the show. Seeing Allen and crew animated again makes me happy.

Glad you are enjoying it! I feel awfully alone on animegaf with my D.Gray-Man watching lol.

Tamako Market 4

Anko is the closest thing to a good character this show has.

Tamako Market 5

This romance is the least interesting thing on the planet.

Koufuku Graffiti 1-6

I said when talking about Sweetness & Lightning that I'm usually turned off by the theme of cooking, so it's a testament to how good and well-produced this show is that I'm still watching and plan to continue doing so. Kirin can be a little annoying at times but I like her relationship with Ryou, as well as the relationship both of them have developed with Shiina. One thing I'm interested in seeing is if they make an attempt toward the end to make Kirin a little less dependent on Ryou.

Koufuku Graffiti is more about eating than cooking per se. More precisely, it's about eating as a way to build friendships and alleviate loneliness. And as you say, it's well made, perhaps the most consistently attractive show Shaft has ever made. There's a warmth to it that drew me in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom