• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I think it's pretty easy to tell if something is going to be good or bad.

Kingsglaive = Made in Japan, hence bad.
The Last Bastion (upcoming Overwatch™ animated short) = Made in the USA, hence probably will be good.

You were right. Now I've been spoiled about the deal with fat Byakuya from DR2.

I actually decided to try the game out, and the prologue was really yawn-inducing with how absurdly similar it was to DR1, and knowing about the class from the anime made it even more similar (twist:
they also knew each other from before the "entrance ceremony", but their memories were wiped clean for some ominous reason
!). The setting being a
VR simulation of sorts
was also made apparent (or so I think) with all the weird image distortion effects at the start, and the anime mentioning some sort of
program Naegi's team attempted to use to turn the class to their pre-despair selves
There it is, you figured it all out rather quickly. Would it have been cool if you didn't watch the anime? I think so. It was cool for me and everyone else. But that's because it was just so out of left field that you didn't really think too much. We were given pieces to a puzzle. You had basically most of the pieces from the edges already attached and all that was left was what goes on the middle.

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy - Despair Arc 05

Junko just drop kicks the fourth wall into oblivion.
Pupupupupu.

Animating Overwatch well can't be easy, but I'd love to see it.

WIT never put out Pupa.

WIT might get lots of hate online and on here, but at worst they're stuff has been disappointing to some and overhyped to others. Outside of Rolling Girls (haven't watched it so idk for sure) they haven't really made anything overtly bad (And despite the hate, lets not pretend that Attack on Titan is as shitty as some of Deen's outings in recent years). At least with WIT I get interested in the visual aspect of the shows they make. Basically what I'm saying is that expecting shit from a studio that has made relatively decent media, and is still relatively new is dumb.

This is also true for Deen, too. They have made some good things, and this year is definitely a year where they are shining, but lets not forget what they have put out and how they tend to handled animation and direction. Considering their output this season, and their announced future projects (rakujo sequel notwithstanding), I can't say that I have any faith in them.

This seems like a charitable view of the output of one studio and the opposite of another. Additionally, "expecting shit" isn't something I said; that sentence is practically putting words in my mouth and then going on to call them dumb. WIT have been around long enough that it's reasonable to have formed expectations, as have MAPPA, who have made a better impression with only an extra year. Even if we disagree that WIT have never made anything overtly bad, hosanna mentioned their scheduling above, as well as the talent that Deen has been working with recently.

No mention of Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou? For shame.

I'd completely forgotten that was Deen. Three good shows in half a year then!

DEEN has at least access to ex-Shaft staff so not all shows are damned to be bad.

WIT is just bad.

But talking about Shaft:

ch_takashibojpk.png

ch_harunobubhjlk.png

ch_kyokobxjuq.png

JulianImp

There it is, you figured it all out rather quickly. Would it have been cool if you didn't watch the anime? I think so. It was cool for me and everyone else. But that's because it was just so out of left field that you didn't really think too much. We were given pieces to a puzzle. You had basically most of the pieces from the edges already attached and all that was left was what goes on the middle.

Pupupupupu.

But now we're back to that discussion we had previously about whether we valued the journey more than the destination. Of course I know many things ahead of the game because of the anime, but the amnesia plot I was complaining about got resolved by Monokuma as soon as the first game chapter started, with it complaining about not wanting to do a rethread of the first game's plot... even though I'd probably be doubting the bear's statements had I played through the game first, I guess.

Even with all those spoilers, I think it might still be similar to you guys who are watching the anime to see more things explained, because to me DR2's basically about understanding
why and how the VR experiment failed (for example, did Junko actually infiltrate it with a Monokuma program or was that deliberate?)
, rather than the twist that
unlike the first game, this class was actually full of eeeevil people who Naegi's organization was trying to reform

Still, I don't quite get just how the kimono girl still hadn't hit her growth spurt in the second game since by the time the teacher was assigned back to their class she still hadn't gone despair mode, and the fatty
was still impersonating the artist instead of Byakuya
as well. That's actually what's getting me interested in playing through the second game even after being spoiled on its twist (meh), since I'm curious about how the game and anime line up with each other, continuity-wise.

But now we're back to that discussion we had previously about whether we valued the journey more than the destination. Of course I know many things ahead of the game because of the anime, but the amnesia plot I was complaining about got resolved by Monokuma as soon as the first game chapter started, with it complaining about not wanting to do a rethread of the first game's plot... even though I'd probably be doubting the bear's statements had I played through the game first, I guess.

Even with all those spoilers, I think it might still be similar to you guys who are watching the anime to see more things explained, because to me DR2's basically about understanding
why and how the VR experiment failed (for example, did Junko actually infiltrate it with a Monokuma program or was that deliberate?)
, rather than the twist that
unlike the first game, this class was actually full of eeeevil people who Naegi's organization was trying to reform

Still, I don't quite get just how the kimono girl still hadn't hit her growth spurt in the second game since by the time the teacher was assigned back to their class she still hadn't gone despair mode, and the fatty
was still impersonating the artist instead of Byakuya
as well. That's actually what's getting me interested in playing through the second game even after being spoiled on its twist (meh), since I'm curious about how the game and anime actually match up.

Yeah it's exactly like I said, you have a puzzle in front of you with the edges already completed. You still haven't filled what is in the middle, and that's really what will form the image. It will make things easier, but you still have lots to learn about the characters and whatnot. You also don't know who lives and who dies, since the anime only touches on what happened BEFORE the incident. There is a lot to love about DR2, and I think you can still enjoy it quite a bit.

Clov

Sentai showed off the premium edition of Chuunibyou Season 2 at their Otacon panel... and nothing else! No new licenses. A bit odd, but they still have a pretty big backlog of stuff to release, so they'll probably be fine.

This Occultic;Nine PV has a way different tone than I expected.

It's an adaptation of light novels by Chiyomaru Shikura (MAGES), directed by Kyouhei Ishiguro (Your Lie in April) at A-1 Pictures for this fall.

2 things:

1) I also expected it to be something else. The tone seems to be the complete opposite of what I thought it was.

2) Is it just me, or is the animation on this... Kind if really good? Have to see the whole thing in motion, but what they showed seemed incredibly meticulous in terms of movement. A lot of bouncing (lol) in there, but other details really caught my eye.

I am probably gonna have to check this out.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I just see the opening shots with balloons floating to cover like 90% of the screen and just close the window tbh.

2 things:

1) I also expected it to be something else. The tone seems to be the complete opposite of what I thought it was.

2) Is it just me, or is the animation on this... Kind if really good? Have to see the whole thing in motion, but what they showed seemed incredibly meticulous in terms of movement. A lot of bouncing (lol) in there, but other details really caught my eye.

I am probably gonna have to check this out.

Yeah, the production quality looks pretty good. I'm interested enough to check it out, at least.

blurr

wow that's an amazing PV - mixed about the actual content but very good production

I also saw Hibike Euphonium 2 PV - I did not expect such a "commentary'' but great music.

Narag

Berserk (2016) 6

mozgus has cte, right?

edit: oh dang the farnese childhood flashback was a glimpse at the sort of thing this show could've been

Stranger Things-(appropriate Japanese particle)

An acceptable series which starts nicely with the 80s charm and sense of adventure. But eventually the same 80s cinema vibe and the style tries to ape is part of its downfall, as this nostalgia trip would have been ok in film but in the longer format of a tv series the novelty wears off and you are left with several problems, precisely because that format: the plot is simple and it could have been told in a 2 hour movie, most characters are stereotyped and don't really change, there are secondary scenes that could be directly eliminated as they don't really advance anything, it's just wheels spinning in the air to reach the estipulated length.
In other words, I think the real problem is the pace and duration. The series isn't that bad, but extended to eight episodes it spreads out too thin. It isn't that long of a tv series, just 8 episodes! you will say, but even then I feel it could have been told in 5 episodes, even only four, without dropping out anything of relevance.

Similarly, this longer duration means more opportunities to notice the crass commercialization of the idea involved, there are parts of this series that feel as if they are as they are not because the writers had a really good story of a group of kids in their bikes running away from government agents to tell, but because the idea was to commercialize the nostalgia of these type of stories.

In addition the plotting isn't air-tight, there are some contrived moments (
of course the ghost-kid isn't going to communicate when there are other people present!
), a few convenient leaps of logic with great suppositions done by the characters, moments with the idiot ball passing to a pair of characters (
yeah, don't take the fake plastic child body as evidence, no sir!)
, etc. The
bittersweet
ending feels forced, too.
Somehow she couldn't kill the monster normally, like tearing it apart or whatever, she dissolved it, and she magically disappears then, because... reasons. Abuse of her powers made her jump to another dimensions? So random.

The music feels uneven too. Sometimes the synths work perfectly for a scene of tension or suspense, but in others it totally clashes with the tone of the scene.

Final score: Not really that much better than anime/10

blurr

Danganronpa 3 Despair 05

It has begun.

Saiyonji had a growth spurt - that explains something that had been bothering me.

It's really interesting to see Junko and Mukuro's interactions, something we didn't get to see in the games. Also, it was invigorating seeing Naegi followed by Junko entering the school - brings back memories of the first game's finale, the weight of Naegi's victory is felt better in this series more than the second or the first game. That's something I really like.

Diamond is Unbreakable 20

Like with Rohan being a mangaka, the storyboarding here was more reminiscent of a Fairy Tale. Most would say this is one of the weaker arcs in DiU, but DP naturally enhances it as they have been doing. Swapping Cinderella and Yoshikage Kira Wants a Quiet Life made sense, they had a very subtle tease for the future.

Russ T

Banned
Man I don't often say this about jojo*, but those screencaps are kind of pretty!

Excited to get to it for the art alone.

*Not because I think the art is bad or anything, more that it usually invokes a different sort of response from me

Narag

Berserk (2016) 7

Thought this one was alright as well. Felt like they wanted to validate the CG usage with some of the camera stuff they were doing like lots of rotation. Ending of the ep was appropriately exciting in that "tune in next week!" sort of way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom