• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
JQbVL1z.jpg

Slowly, but surely, turning into Psycho Pass.

I like to believe that, if Don Orco could have chosen his fate, he would have loved to become
lasagna.

On other hand, I'm not a fan of this sequence. He basically told Nero "I'm going to pretend I want to kill you for revenge L O L", then told the Don the actual truth, all while hoping it didn't blow back in his face or Nero didn't find the whole thing suspicious.

Even discharging that, it felt like they were relying on luck and their enemies not noticing obvious things more than anything.
It's pretty clear from the previous episode with the other brilliant plan from him that he isn't exactly the brightest guy with the airtight plans. He relies on plans. That his whole plan revolved around his attempt to gain their trust with the truth, that's another story.

But they made it clear he was also making sure the guy wasn't the one who sent him the letter, if he was this may have turned into actual betrayal.

91 day 6

YES! LASAGNA! Fango you are insane lol

I'm already pretty convinced that Nero will live and Avilio will die, probably by his booze friend.

Cornbread78

Is Twin Star Exorcists actually good? I dropped it after like 2 episodes.

Yeah, I think so. It's a pretty good mix of everything with a pretty good story. Been better than I thought it would, that's for sure.

So it's been a while since I've been in here since this season feels a bit dry.
Is there anything good outside of Soma for this season that I'm just overlooking?

Twin Star Exorcists
Tales of Zestiria
Alderamin in the Sky
ReZero
Orange
91 Days

I know you like your harem shit, but only HxH is airing and it's pure ecchi shit, (like softcare hentai ecchi) so...

I'm on vacation watching SAO.

Awww yeeaahhh.

Getting ready for that Hollow Realization, I see you homie.

Sounds legit. I might do that as well, lol

Is Twin Star Exorcists actually good? I dropped it after like 2 episodes.
It's good! While you can see that it's an 50 episode show with the animation at some places, it's great at the moment that counts.

It has a great duo of MC and the dynamic between the two is what makes the show great for me.

The characters designs is also very good and it has 2 very amazing openings and endings.

pbayne

Gundam Wing

Lol I think this is the most divisive show among Gundam fans seemingly you either love it or hate it.

-To be fair, I think the first 12 or so episodes are rather good at setting up the series and characters. Nothing amazing but a fun enough action romp with a bit of silliness. When the show was primarily about the Gundam pilots vs OZ, it had a cool guerrilla warfare vibe. But fuck as soon as the Romfeller plot kicks in it all starts to go down-hill.
-The mid-section is easily the worst. Treize and Zechs more or less disappear for about 15 episodes (taking the interesting OZ faction down with them) and you just get an endless stream of stupid character decisions, pointless fights and seemingly a new faction seems to spring up every other episode. Im not joking when I say there is so much you could cut from this section and you’d lose nothing of value.
-It’s weird that I feel this plot simultaneously has too much and yet enough content at times. Like in terms of fucking how many factions, allegiance changes, new mobile suits, mobile doll system, zero system, peace talks, face-heel turns, heel-face turns, battles, amnesia, mad scientists, split personalities etc, the pacing itself is glacial and the show’s characters are nowhere near interesting enough to fill in the gaps between big plot points. Fully developing one or two of those plot points would have been enough to base a show around but well they didn’t do that so fuck it.

-Five protagonists. Which ironically was good in a way because it distracts from how shallow a lot of their characters are. But even though I devolved a bit of a soft spot for them (especially Duo), they are pretty crap characters. It also kills the pacing as say something cool happens like “oh man Heero got the Wing back, can’t wait to see what happens next”, then he doesn’t show up for 6 episodes because it’s not his turn yet.
-Lady Une. She deserves special mention. Her character and everything she does is stupid. Fuck like there’s no point in even talking about it and no one could defend how silly everything around her is.
+There were some characters I liked, Zechs(who is a bit ridiculous in that he seems to be nearly every version of Char in one person) Treize and Relena. This is arm-chair booking territory but if I could change anything I would base the show around those three, have just one Gundam pilot as the protagonist, drop the entire Romfeller/White Fang plot. I really think there was no need to make the plot as complex as it gets.

-Bad action. What I mean by that is watch one episode of the Gundam fighting some mooks. Then watch one where the mobile dolls team up and beat a Gundam. Congratulations you’ve just seen 95% of the fights in the show because they repeat that formulae near every episode. It’s so by the numbers action where every fight is just signature moves+explosions…it gets really tedious really quickly. There are a few stand-out moments like Tallgeese vs Wing or Epyon vs Zero but they are few and far between.
+Awesome soundtrack. Like even if you are watching another boring fight, the soundtrack does a good job of elevating it, so kudos there.
+I really like most of the character designs especially the fabulously OTT military designs of OZ, and I mean who doesn’t like hot guys? (Though who the fuck green lighted Dorothy’s design?).
-Mech designs…eh they were more miss than hit for me. A few good uns like Deathsytche and Epyon but overall wasn’t a fan. Lol it’s really disappointing to see the super detailed versions of the Gundams in the OP and then the shit non-detailed versions in the actual show.

So yeah, overall not good, I wish I had some nicer things to say. For what it’s worth it was still a pretty easy watch (like I never outright hated it or was never bored by it) and silver ling it was still better than 00.

But fuck that this is the real deal here
G-1 Climax Tanahashi(Once in a Century Ace) vs Okada (Rainmaker)

Best anime fight we'll get this year.

blurr

Idolm@ster CG S2 12 END

Cinderella Girls season 2 has been an amazing ride which hits a conclusion declaring no winners or losers despite how it started off - it was all a matter of perspective, opportunity and authority. The director's perspective is aided by her authority over the production studio just the way Producer's perspective was by the opportunity he had to put it in action. Both of them had an important perpsective of things but nothing is absolute. It also thematically fell into the Cinderella story - one gauged the worth of an idol with reference to the gradeur of the castle where the ball is held, the other gauged it with their earnest desires. To use a simpler metaphor the director looks for potential from high places while the Producer searches from amidst them.

The series mainly revolves around the idea of fullfilling your desires and more importantly keeping it up. It makes use of the Cinderella theme symbolically and narrative-wise to convey something more than a layman's interpretation of a fairy tale. While season 1 dealt with the act of fullfilling your desires by putting their patience and ability to test bringing them to a "start", it wasn't entirely implied but it was still a long, painful way ahead - season 2 ups the ante with much deeper issues, effectively tackling every facet it takes to not only fullfill your desires but also to maintain or go even further than that, as it put: exploring the world of possibilities and acknowledging that they are not alone in what they think or do.

Through out the series there were character dramas that tackled on fear, anxiety, guilt and existentialist dread within the context of a genre/field or in the industry entirely. It did an incredible job in relaying these stories while also maintaining compelling characters in every situation. Every story and underlying message is presented neatly which is what I really like about the direction in the show. Everything is made clear not only through words but also through a combination of visuals and presentation. Nothing felt underhanded. Interesting perspectives in every episode and while it is not as frequent as I'd like, the occassional flair of character animation portrayed through dancing is a delight to watch.

My favorite stories were the ones revolving Asterisk and that of Rin's proposal to form Triad Primus. The former taught that your work is mostly what you make of it through Rina believing that her pop idol group was the "rock" idol of her dream while Natuski didn't believe her actual "rock" band was the "rock band" of her dreams. The latter created a very interesting but difficult predicament for Rin but I really loved how Nao and Karen handled it. Karen in particular acknowledged Rin's dilemma but also didn't entirely succumb to empathy citing that they may be unfair but it is undeniable that they have a right to make their desired choice. They do let Rin make the final call. I bloody love that honesty and forwardness, frankly it's something I don't get to see very often and it was incredibly gratifying to witness. Of course there were other great epsiodes on Uzuki and everyone else I've talked about in my episode updates. I've had much to think and take in for every episode which is a great quality.

I really have little to complain about the show, it was great from start to finish. If anything I can imagine people pointing out to being too "peppy" but I don't think it should bother you if you're just in for great story telling and production quality. Secondly, I highly recommend this if you've somehow dropped season 1 or didn't even bother starting over characters being written as one-off archetypes, season 2 is your savior.

The originial im@s from what I heard is quite different from CG in that it's not a character drama but that it's good in its own way.

Clov

Hmm, I admire when SZS plays experimental, but I found the first season grew too stale by the end to care about watching more.

That's fair, the series can be a bit repetitive at times. I don't know if you'd enjoy the second season if you tired of the first one so quickly, but it definitely gets more experimental in its presentation. Personally I love the silliness and creativity of season 2; it's my favorite anime comedy!

On a different note, there's a lot of panels at Otacon today from North American anime companies. Crunchyroll, Discotek, Pony Canyon, RightStuf, and Aniplex are all having panels today. I'm really excited to see what Discotek and RightStuf announce, and I'm hoping that Crunchyroll will share some more details on their home video releases too.

Trails of Cold Steel has me good. I think I may have played for well over 4hrs straight last night. Can't remember the last time I played a gaming session like that in a long time. The game is very much anime, but the amount of political/cultural elements in the storytelling make it not only engaging, but also educational to a certain extent. Heck the game has entire books in the school's library and out in the world dedicated to the lore from this world.

Basically if you enjoy anime (duh) with something a little more than just your average "teenage heroes saving the day" stories, you should give it a try.

I don't understand what some people see in the TSE duo. I checked out some bits of the show and they seem no different than any other bickering male and female anime duo.

Trails of Cold Steel has me good. I think I may have played for well over 4hrs straight last night. Can't remember the last time I played a gaming session like that in a long time. The game is very much anime, but the amount of political/cultural elements in the storytelling make it not only engaging, but also educational to a certain extent. Heck the game has entire books in the school's library and out in the world dedicated to the lore from this world.

Basically if you enjoy anime (duh) with something a little more than just your average "teenage heroes saving the day" stories, you should give it a try.

There was something really refreshing to me about how slow (but not too slow) Cold Steel was and how intrigued I was by learning about Erebonia

I couldn't believe how hooked I was on that game last month.

Ascheroth

I don't understand what some people see in the TSE duo. I checked out some bits of the show and they seem no different than any other bickering male and female anime duo.
They have good chemistry, good teamwork and had a lot of development together. Just compare them from the first episodes to now.
Doesn't hurt that their bickering is also usually fun.

It's obvious that if you only checked a few bits you wouldn't understand since I think they are the type of character that grow on you the more you watch. You sympathise with their struggle and your happy when they win. They don't start as much but they develop a LOT.

That would be ? Genuine question, I don't recall anything that impressive but it's been a while.
The whole city battle. The Serpantes falling from the sky. The trio coming from space in their gundams and fighting a desperate battle, Heero nuking the base. I found it very impressive and it marked my mind.

I found a video of it but it has some background music sadly and it is cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntr1g73OMf4

The manga handles this better. I don't particularly like the voice acting for the male MC, it makes him come off more obnoxious than he should.

ROUND VERNIAN VIFAM #2 and #3

If this doesn't change in the next few episode this will be the mecha show with the youngest crew I have ever seen.

Also god dammit Roddy go pilot one of the VERNIAN! I know you want to!

Syrinx

Amanchu! 6

Umm...I could've sworn I saw Teko swimming in the first episode they go diving in the pool...Maybe I'm wrong? Or there's a difference between regular swimming and diving swimming? Either way it seems like a really important thing to not bring up until now. The group's reaction when she revealed that was funny at least.

When Teko was talking about her wishes and such, I felt like they didn't make enough of a distinction between wishes and goals. It kinda got at it toward the end when Teko said that this was a wish she could bring about with her own hands, but still, at that point it's not really a wish. It's a goal. I dunno, maybe there's a translation issue in there somewhere. Or I'm a butthole who got overly caught up on semantics.

Thoraxes

That's fair, the series can be a bit repetitive at times. I don't know if you'd enjoy the second season if you tired of the first one so quickly, but it definitely gets more experimental in its presentation. Personally I love the silliness and creativity of season 2; it's my favorite anime comedy!

On a different note, there's a lot of panels at Otacon today from North American anime companies. Crunchyroll, Discotek, Pony Canyon, RightStuf, and Aniplex are all having panels today. I'm really excited to see what Discotek and RightStuf announce, and I'm hoping that Crunchyroll will share some more details on their home video releases too.
I'll pray for the Eupho movie, expect a Kizu BD import release, and see if RS provides an Utena update.

And of course I'll pray for Samurai Flamenco and Mushishi.

Clov

I'll pray for the Eupho movie, expect a Kizu BD import release, and see if RS provides an Utena update.

And of course I'll pray for Samurai Flamenco and Mushishi.

Definitely hoping for some Kizu home media news along with our unreleased properties from Aniplex. Also hoping for some Utena news from RightStuf, though I'm also hoping for a BD release of Aria from them. A BD of The Rose of Versailles would be amazing too, but I'm not sure if they'd do that.

From Crunchyroll I'd love a release date for their Free S1 BD, and as for Discotek... there's a lot of things I'd love them to release, like the second Cardcaptor Sakura movie, or the 90s Berserk anime, or even a BD of Lupin III S1. I'm very excited to see what they have to show!

javac

My Internet is down, RIP. No idea when it'll be back. Having to use my shitty mobile Internet with 1gb cap. On a positive note I might actually use this time to actually watch something.

Saw the Euphonium post above, I should watch the show sometime. My brother absolutely loves that show. All I know is they cover Rydeen and I'm a huge YMO fan so that's cool.

Thoraxes

Bueno.

Definitely hoping for some Kizu home media news along with our unreleased properties from Aniplex. Also hoping for some Utena news from RightStuf, though I'm also hoping for a BD release of Aria from them. A BD of The Rose of Versailles would be amazing too, but I'm not sure if they'd do that.

From Crunchyroll I'd love a release date for their Free S1 BD, and as for Discotek... there's a lot of things I'd love them to release, like the second Cardcaptor Sakura movie, or the 90s Berserk anime, or even a BD of Lupin III S1. I'm very excited to see what they have to show!
I keep forgetting that CR is going to be releasing shows, heh. I'm just really curious to see what their pricing structure will be like, and if it's worth the money per bitrate/IQ.

I'll likely volunteer to be a guinea pig and buy whatever the first thing they put out is.

Thoraxes

My Internet is down, RIP. No idea when it'll be back. Having to use my shitty mobile Internet with 1gb cap. On a positive note I might actually use this time to actually watch something.

Saw the Euphonium post above, I should watch the show sometime. My brother absolutely loves that show. All I know is they cover Rydeen and I'm a huge YMO fan so that's cool.
Do it. Watch it!

Narag

Bueno.

I keep forgetting that CR is going to be releasing shows, heh. I'm just really curious to see what their pricing structure will be like, and if it's worth the money per bitrate/IQ.

I'll likely volunteer to be a guinea pig and buy whatever the first thing they put out is.

hope u like cg berserk

Clov

Bueno.

I'm very curious about how their releases will turn out too. I won't be getting their first first release unless it's Free S1 though, since that's the only thing they announced that I want to buy.

Discotek just confirmed that their Kyousougiga BD will include both the TV anime and the ONA. That's a nice bonus!

Clov

Discotek confirmed that they're also doing a BD release of 5cm Per Second. I wonder if they got the BD rights on their own, or if this was done as part of their previous partnership with Crunchyroll?

Clov

Let's just say if CR dangled the carrot over my head about '97 Berserk getting NA blurays if the new series sold well, I'd be ordering faster than you.

I can't really see Crunchyroll going after older anime for their home video releases, but they are just getting started after all. Maybe later down the line.

Edit: Discotek is releasing all of Chargeman Ken on DVD. Dear God.

Narag

Fatal Fury movie BD coming too. aw yeah

I can't really see Crunchyroll going after older anime for their home video releases, but they are just getting started after all. Maybe later down the line.

I don't either but I also think it'd be weird to have the property split up between so many NA licensees.

Clov

I don't either but I also think it'd be weird to have the property split up between so many NA licensees.

It's weird, but it happens a lot of the time. NISA has the Cardcaptor Sakura TV series, Discotek has the first movie. Crunchyroll has Free S1, Funimation has S2. Funimation has Mushishi S1, while Aniplex has S2, and NISA has the first two seasons of Working while Aniplex has the third. You could even look at the Appleseed franchise, which has various entries licensed between Sentai, Funimation, and Sony Pictures. It's surprisingly common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom