• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Soma S2 7
JwKptPd.png
The outcome makes for a cool final match, but then, what was the point of having 5 judges if one of them can't even do her job. This feels dumb. lol

At least more Kurokiba means more Alice.

jgminto

I don't doubt that the show is trash, but in fairness there definitely are teams that play that way. It can be an effective tactic.

Especially if you're playing against Arsenal (sorry Phaze :p)
This is on another level though, they'd run out of players before they could even finish the game.

DAYS 7
Absolute garbage, easily the worst sports anime I've ever watched. How stupid is the writer if they think a team that is deliberately and obviously fouling is an actual threat? I don't even watch that much soccer and even I know that doesn't make any fucking sense. The characters are garbage, the art is awful and the pacing is horrendous. Go watch any other sports anime of the last three years instead because they're all better.

Its the obligatory team that is obviously fouling thing that lots of shows love to do though.

Cornbread78

Rewrite ep.7
Some nice action scenes in this episode as things heat up, however..... I can't stand it, but I really should just drop the show and play the VN at this point. They keep jumping from point to point with nothing consistant in regards to following the 6th "all new" branch story at all... so many unanswered questions each week...

javac

Due to the internet outage my brother has persuaded me to watch FMA:Brotherhood...so I guess I'm watching that tonight...unless I can find something else on my shelf that tickles my fancy.

I enjoyed it without a lot of previous knowledge of the series, just 4-5 episodes watched randomly.

You don't need to know too much about UY to watch it though having a good 30 episode or so helps.

Yeah, I watched the first two movies without seeing any of the TV series and managed to understand them just fine.

Yeah even though I haven't seen the film and series I've read about it a lot over the years just due to my general interest in the works of Oshii and the history of animation at large and my impression was pretty much the same as what you've all described however I'm actually preparing to watch the series very soon anyways so it all lines up.

Tuck

DAYS 7
Absolute garbage, easily the worst sports anime I've ever watched. How stupid is the writer if they think a team that is deliberately and obviously fouling is an actual threat? I don't even watch that much soccer and even I know that doesn't make any fucking sense. The characters are garbage, the art is awful and the pacing is horrendous. Go watch any other sports anime of the last three years instead because they're all better.

Lol I came in here to ask how Days was doing. I like soccer, so it caught my eye.

Oh.

Soma S2 - 07

This result made the most sense if we want a final with all of that... IMPACTO.

Does it start off good too? I'm not really a fan of marathoning stuff, to be honest, and 19 episodes is going to be a lot for me. I need that shit to hook me fast.

The first episode has 2 parts and is one hour long. The first part is basically a bit of an introduction, and the second part is where the show kicks into its real appeal. I can't say if will hook you or not from the start tbh. We had someone here recently marathoning it saying it was a good experience. Personally with these types of shows I enjoy the week long wait full of anticipation.

ibyea

Banned
DAYS 7

I don't know, I have seen tactical fouling in real life soccer match. Of course, such games end up sucking but assholes are out there.

Anyways, glad I avoided this.

Clov

Seems as though Aniplex only had two announcements at their panel: they confirmed that they are doing a theatrical run of Kizumonogatari II, and that they're reprinting both Fate/Zero BD box sets starting in October.

Qurupeke

They translated the Russian. lol
Orange is a lot more visually interesting than I was expecting. Some fun editing.

Yes, shows like Mob Psycho and DiU stand out this season, but Orange has a few neat sequences here and there. The latest episode had some good use of colours and shadows too.

Narag

RightStuf's panel didn't seem to have a lot of news at all. The only new announcement was that they and Sunrise will be releasing Turn A Gundam on BD in early 2017, with an upgrade program for those who got the DVDs.

We did it!

Just T

91 Days: 4-6

Still putting out entertaining episodes. The short road trip was good, Avilio seemed genuinely happy for a second after that performance and then the smile in the episode after made me wonder if he will be able to go through with his revenge plan. In the latest episode when he asked about the letter I thought that was pretty risky, even if it was all a ruse that could of ended badly for him. And in that last scene was expecting someone to find a finger but turns out it was a tooth.

Gvitor

Yowamushi pedal 01-03

Initially I thought I wouldn't like this as much as other sports anime because of the MC and his weird design a la Accel World's MC (ok, maybe not as much weird), but it's good. Episodes 2 and 3 were already full of hype.

Gvitor

I dont understand the comparison between Onoda and Haruyuki Arita.

Well, the characters in Yowamushi and AW are mostly "humanoid"-ish with a standard appearance. Then AW's MC is this chibi otaku weird dude that is different from everyone else, and while Onoda isn't quite at that level, he is the odd one out in Yowamushi, specially comparing him to Iwaizumi.

Well, the characters in Yowamushi and AW are mostly "humanoid"-ish with a standard appearance. Then AW's MC is this chibi otaku weird dude that is different from everyone else, and while Onoda isn't quite at that level, he is the odd one out in Yowamushi, specially comparing him to Iwaizumi.

Once you start seeing more of the characters in Yowamushi Pedal, you won't be thinking Onoda's the odd one out.

One Punch Man 4

An (quite good) episode that has left me with unanswered questions like how do people not know who Saitama is, who were those robots at the end and does getting One Punched by Saitama in the balls leave you unable to have children?

fertygo

Battery the Animation 5

Things are really developing now. The beginning of the episode went to some dark places (literally and figuratively), handling it with its usual grace and understatement. I wonder if the school will actually disband the baseball team; the announcement at the end was rather ominous.

It's a shame so little attention is being paid to this show. I suppose this isn't hard, but at this point it's the best noitaminA show since Ping Pong.

I'll eventually watch it, been catching up to orange first

Samurai Champloo 26 END

The very end felt like a copout.
After fighting to the very end of their strength, having Mugen and Jin survive just... because they're main characters is a forced way to create a happy ending. They had both reached the end of their journey - their character arcs were closed - so it would have been appropriate to have them die, or at the very least to leave their fates ambiguous. Jin's survival in particular felt wrong, since he had already fake died at the end of the last episode and he had the flashback with his master telling him that the final technique to beat a stronger opponent would mean Jin's own death as well. Making explicit Fuu's father's motivations through the speech of his servant was also unnecessarily blunt.
To compare to another Watanabe show, Cowboy Bebop handled this sort of thing better.

Still, up until that point, it was a good finale. Fuu's encounter in particular felt earned, a good payoff for all the work she had done until that point. And, of course, the action animation was as exceptional as you'd want from a series that has consistently had strong action.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
Little Busters and Little Busters Refrain

this show almost broke me, the kurugaya's arc in refrain hit especially hard

i know there's OVAs but they aren't available in crunchyroll so i'll hold off for now

javac

Have you seen Seirei no Moribito? If not, watch that instead, I think you'd like it.

Perhaps staying true to the six degrees of separation theory, not unlike the theory that every article on Wikipedia leads to the Philosophy article, I often find myself looking at that show. Looking at shows often leads me to that one mysteriously but I've never really pursued actually watching it but I'll give it a closer look due to your recommendation.

I won't expand upon my thoughts on FMA:B.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 18

We're barely past the S4 battle, and now the first years are out for blood. These idols never get to rest. Yes, more Yuri. I don't know why these minor characters that really don't have much to them are so likeable, but they are. Must be the allure of the unknown or something like that. Heh, more confirmation that Tsubasa is the one putting in all the work. Yume puts in her own work and shows off her superpowers yet again. It was pretty obvious who the winners were going to be given that Koharu has yet to do anything. But damn, Aikatsu Island is the movie. And I'm not going to see it for half a year. That stings. It bugs me waiting for Precure movies, and this is actually important to the show. And it looks good. Hopefully the wait will be worth it. At least we get a Yuzu episode next. This is going to be great.

Cornbread78

Little Busters and Little Busters Refrain

this show almost broke me, the kurugaya's arc in refrain hit especially hard

i know there's OVAs but they aren't available in crunchyroll so i'll hold off for now

Nice! The ending string of reveals and how it played out blew my mind. Soo good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom