• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Yes, unlike the writing staff of FMA BroHood, Kawahara can actually write logical arc endings that are grounded in reality.

Except for:
  • Nearly instant rehab after being in a coma for two years
  • A huge game company not being pressured into helping police investigations after people supposedly get killed in their game, merely because it was an overseas company or something along those lines
  • A guy who trapped people and forced them to play his little death game, but everybody brushes off that part and are just glad he gave super VR to the masses after everything's done
  • The major antagonists for two arcs being characterized as rapist psychos to make them "evil"
  • The first arc's ending being about how the super special beta tester was chosen at random by the game admin to become his rival with a unique super skill, and somehow managing to live after death or something to beat the admin in spite of his cheats
  • The second arc's ending being about the rapist antagonist abusing his admin powers, only the MC gets superadmin powers because of the crazy admin from the first arc, and wins merely because of that

I find that calling SAO entertaining or fun is acceptable, but calling its arc endings logical and grounded in reality is a bit of a stretch when they mostly amount to a boatload of deus ex machinas only meant to make our super special snowflake MC look good.

...While I'd discuss how I loathe gary stus all day, I think a more "fair" complaint of mine with the show was about the absurd disproportion of character agency that Kirito got compared to the rest of the cast, since I really like watching characters develop and having them become little more than accesories to the plot was really sad. It's like they all ceased having their own goals and desires after they met Kirito, even if they were shown as strong and reliable characters such as Asuna (who thankfully gets a whole arc to herself later) and Sinon.

Mother's Rosario was indeed the highlight of the show for me because of that, since it managed to keep Kirito away from the spotlight for the most part (except when it really mattered, sadly). SAO always felt like the kind of show where I'd have been happy to get a couple one-shot episodes about the adventures of the side characters without directly involving Kirito, since they all felt awfully underdeveloped unless they happened to be the main heroines of any given major arc.

Arslan S2 Episode 7
Arslan_Senki_Fuujin_Ranbu_07_Large_End_Card.jpg

There's no getting around it, the majority of this season feels like a filler arc to be honest. It set a bunch of pieces on the board, but almost none of them have been resolved, and most have barely moved. The one that has been tied up, dealing with a duplicitous prick, was in typical fashion, lacking in a sense of stakes. (I guess taking control of this port resolves the lack of funds issue?) Shagad being
turned into a slave is a deserving punishment
, but what about the other merchants? Are they just cool with this? In spite of all these problems I have, I still enjoy Arslan. The lack of depth is still annoying to me, but the sense of adventure is still there. The big hammy sword fight in this episode was fun. Watching the civilians run the pirates out of town was fun. Seeing Arslan show his less forgiving side was fun.

That said, if we don't get another season, then there's no reason to watch this one. The first season ended at a reasonably natural point. This season can't do that. There's too much that can't be summed up with a single episode.

ROUND VERNIAN VIFAM #36 To the Prison!

Yes I almost thought they were going to keep the kuktonians speaking japanese but they didnt and gave us a nice episode of just using pointing and emotions to communicate with one aonther. Really fun episode.

zulux21

He reminds me of King Bradly from FMA

I suppose I could see that.
my wife and I call him rowen in general just because he has that same vibe you get from rowen and looks similar thanks to the old man gentleman design.

we have problems remembering his real name lol.

Except for:
  • Nearly instant rehab after being in a coma for two years
  • A huge game company not being pressured into helping police investigations after people supposedly get killed in their game, merely because it was an overseas company or something along those lines
  • A guy who trapped people and forced them to play his little death game, but everybody brushes off that part and are just glad he gave super VR to the masses after everything's done
  • The major antagonists for two arcs being characterized as rapist psychos to make them "evil"
  • The first arc's ending being about how the super special beta tester was chosen at random by the game admin to become his rival with a unique super skill, and somehow managing to live after death or something to beat the admin in spite of his cheats
  • The second arc's ending being about the rapist antagonist abusing his admin powers, only the MC gets superadmin powers because of the crazy admin from the first arc, and wins merely because of that

I find that calling SAO entertaining or fun is acceptable, but calling its arc endings logical and grounded in reality is a bit of a stretch when they mostly amount to a boatload of deus ex machinas only meant to make our super special snowflake MC look good.

...While I'd discuss how I loathe gary stus all day, I think a more "fair" complaint of mine with the show was about the absurd disproportion of character agency that Kirito got compared to the rest of the cast, since I really like watching characters develop and having them become little more than accesories to the plot was really sad. It's like they all ceased having their own goals and desires after they met Kirito, even if they were shown as strong and reliable characters such as Asuna (who thankfully gets a whole arc to herself later) and Sinon.

Mother's Rosario was indeed the highlight of the show for me because of that, since it managed to keep Kirito away from the spotlight for the most part (except when it really mattered, sadly). SAO always felt like the kind of show where I'd have been happy to get a couple one-shot episodes about the adventures of the side characters without directly involving Kirito, since they all felt awfully underdeveloped unless they happened to be the main heroines of any given major arc.

How often are IRL foreign companies pressured go abide by a countries rules. Takata and those air bags are still an issue in american and its been years, volkswagon and cheating on the regulations is still an issue as well. I dont think its weird to see a slow reaction from a big game publisher like that.

When has any big wig figure of a company in a controversy had any sort of equivalent punishment given to them? Most are just kicked off the chairman board and given a comp bonus.

Articalys

Only just now caught up on weekend news. Crossing fingers that Discotek's 5cm Blu-ray release is of good quality. If not... well, there's always the global edition BD to import.

Clov

Mekaku city actors s2 announced.
Wait, are there anyone asked for this?

If it's the same staff as last time, consider me out.

On a different topic, AnimeEigo claims to be close to signing two new Kickstarter projects. Would be nice if they did one for the first Urusei Yatsura movie, so I could add more to my collection of Oshii anime.

Cornbread78

Sweetness & Lightning ep.7
Tsumugi!!! Nonononono.... The "journey" was hilarious and cute as hell tk watch frim thr mind of a child, lol. Good episode, but why Kotori-chan.. Sensei needs to start cooking food for other ladies out there with Tsumugi's help for maximum cuteness.

Line_HTX

New Game! 07

jwg4tbk.png

New hire always strictly going by the book and not focusing on the hands on task always makes things worse and slow. There should be a manual on what not to do as a noob, lol

Qurupeke

Macross: Do You Remember Love?

So, I finally get what Macross is. It's not just songs, transforming planes and love triangles... You can add that the best girl never wins too...

I knew it would be good, but I was really impressed by this. The storytelling was great, it's obvious that the movie is missing content but like the Macross Frontier movies it highlights the main characters and makes every scene with them to count. Also, it was surprisingly dark and graphic. I don't know if this was common to old anime or it happens because it's a movie, but there were so many gruesome deaths and melting bodies that it definitely caught me by surprise. In any case, I appreciated its serious tone. Furthermore, despite knowing most of the plot, the movie remained captivating and had its surprises. Like, I didn't expect the Zentradi to be that scary. They had the alien looks, the superior technology and weird personalities. Even for their relatively limited screen time, they were pretty good villains.

Another thing that impressed me is the art. I have trouble believing this is a movie more than 30 years old. Astonishing attention to the details of the backgrounds, the Macross ship looked ridiculously good and most of the key moments were simply gorgeous. The use of shadows and lights on it also helped on the later, just unbelievably good. And the animation wasn't bad either. Not as good as Plus' highlights, but I'd be damned if I said it wasn't great.

The two scenes with Minmay and Hikaru at the start have to be the highlights of the whole movie though. I highly regarded Macross Frontier's rendezvous scene of Alto and Sheryl, but I think I enjoyed this one a lot more. The characters seemed to genuinely have fun and grow closer to each other. And the scene on the engine room was phenomenal. Great atmosphere and very cute conclusion. Minmay was such an amazing character with so much personality. Then you have Misa, with her binary mood of either being angry or sad. I was certain that Minmay had this, but of course it had to be a complex love triangle... I guess it was successful though, as the scene on Hikaru's room certainly had me at the edge of my seat... But best girls are just destined to lose in this series...

Oh and despite javac's and John Blade's suggestions, I (obviously) skipped the TV series. I don't think I can bother for something that old and long, sorry. I think I'll probably watch it some time, I need to watch more Minmay and the movie made me interested on some of the side characters and their stories, like the romance between the Meltrandi pilot and the blue haired man. Anyway, I guess it's time for Zero and it will probably be my last Macross for now, as I don't think I'm touching Macross 7...

Cornbread78

Taboo Tattoo ep.7
This is purely a hate watch now. So the American's are going to shove sausages and bread loaves
up the asses of the forces from the Kingdom, but how, the Kingdom forces are so OP it's not even funny. Oh snd the Kingdom's proncess molested yet another female underling..

This show sucks, like bigtime sucks.

2edgy4me.

Quasar

Sweetness & Lightning ep.7
Tsumugi!!! Nonononono.... The "journey" was hilarious and cute as hell tk watch frim thr mind of a child, lol. Good episode, but why Kotori-chan.. Sensei needs to start cooking food for other ladies out there with Tsumugi's help for maximum cuteness.

Such a great episode. And that singing was just great. And definitely gave me childhood flashbacks.

Gvitor

Yowamushi Pedal 04-18

This show is pretty good and all, and I probably should've expected this based on other sports anime, but sometimes the padding gets a little too overboard, almost to DBZ levels of time manageament. I mean, a whole episode for about 100m of race. Bolt does it in 9 seconds without a goddamn bicycle.

Line_HTX

Taboo Tattoo ep.7
This is purely a hate watch now. So the American's are going to shove sausages and bread loaves ip yhe asses of the forces ftom the Kingdom, but how, the Kingdom forces are so OP it's not even funny. Oh snd the Kingdom's proncess molested yet another female underling..

This show sucks, like bigtime sucks.

2edgy4me.

Sausages and... corn bread?

;P

Yowamushi Pedal 04-18

This show is pretty good and all, and I probably should've expected this based on other sports anime, but sometimes the padding gets a little too overboard, almost to DBZ levels of time manageament. I mean, a whole episode for about 100m of race. Bolt does it in 9 seconds without a goddamn bicycle.

The pacing only gets worse as the series goes on. I eventually couldn't take it anymore.

tumblr_nfr7a8QjDG1r9q6lto1_400.gif

Mob Psycho 100 - 06

I liked this episode quite a bit. I like that Mob Psycho actually has a plot to it, so aside from looking awesome, there are characters to care about with their own issues. Mob's brother seems like the pure case of someone living with the mentality that "the grass on the other side is greener". He is a genius and has everything that his brother doesn't but his lack of powers makes him feel inferior. That last bit though, shows that things in the near future could change in his favour, but at what price?

Cornbread78

Kaiba ep.6
A lot of things answered on what is going on very subtly in this episode. This was also by far the best episode of the show so far the went into some of the mental, physical and emotional issues that arrise from planting conciousness in random bodies of the opposite gender from their origin.

Aki-at

The Nice Guys

Best film I've seen all year, was laughing all through out.

Macross Delta - 6

Mikumo personality doesn't match her looks or grace, was not expecting her character to be quite like this. Shows upbeat energy continues to deliver though, battling across asteroids with projected idol faces and dancing around your enemy, good stuff.

New Game! 07

jwg4tbk.png

New hire always strictly going by the book and not focusing on the hands on task always makes things worse and slow. There should be a manual on what not to do as a noob, lol

And here I thought nurses just wanted to repeatedly stab me.

Macross Delta - 5

I really hate to be "that" guy, but Messer was kinda totally in the right for telling Hayate off there. Oh yeah, it's good of him to lift spirits up during times of uncertainty and all, but taking your giant robot plane out for a spin with a musical number while on standby is pretty darn irresponsible.

Not that Freyja singing the ED song was anything short of fun to listen to, of course.

Narag

You're fine. Messer rocks for having his head in the game so early while everyone else is jut screwing off. He did the same shit in episode 3 when he goes right after Hayate after he passes his test.

Line_HTX

You're not wrong there. Messer is the one that keeps them in line as to not slip up as he's supposed to do. I thought that was appropriate of him to snap Hayate into reality.

Crocodile

*opens page*

*Sees someone trying to have a legitimate conversation about narrative or character writing with DTL as if the man (or the character) has any concept of what good writing actually is*

LMFAO

You're fine. Messer rocks for having his head in the game so early while everyone else is jut screwing off. He did the same shit in episode 3 when he goes right after Hayate after he passes his test.

You're not wrong there. Messer is the one that keeps them in line as to not slip up as he's supposed to do. I thought that was appropriate of him to snap Hayate into reality.

Yeah I'm liking that he's basically acting like the Bright Noa to Hayate's Amuro Ray here (without the need for slapping) and telling him to get his shit together and stop acting like a super robot pilot in a real robot setting before things go south.

jgminto

Sweetness & Lightning 7 was fantastic, certainly one of the best episodes this season. Few shows can capture that level of fun and emotion on such a small scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom