• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Wolf's Rain is boring as hell. I've tried watching it at least six times and fall asleep every time somewhere in the single digit episodes, then give it up. It helped cure a bout of insomnia I had when it aired on Adult Swim.

The journey was good, man. What you talking about?

Can/should Macross Delta be watched with no previous macross exp?
Seems like more people are watching it

My only previous experience was Frontier and Delta actually connects with Frontier and a couple of others very well!

Macross Delta - 4

Cp3ytd_XEAE3leE.jpg:large
Cp3yuSuXEAAkmgl.jpg:large

Hell yeah!

This show is really growing on me. Despite the less than stellar CG robots and not being a super robot show this show certainly has the super robot spirit down pat.

There's just this air of positive energy with the dancing mecha, colourful idols, and the sheer emotion that's in the songs that it makes the show feel more fun to watch, which is something that the mecha genre has certainly needed for a while now.

That being said, Freyja's species average lifespan is only 30 years?!? That raises a lot of disturbing questions. Do children lose their parents at the ages of 5-10?

Gungrave 9

I wasn't expecting the show to start going downhill quite this early, but now we've got Cannon Vulcan and Blood War (no really, those are their real names) unleashing a plan to create JRPG monsters and turn them loose on the world.

Such is the fate of a video game adaptation. I have to say, while I'm not a fan of Gungrave's designs at the best of times, this episode had particularly poor character art.

C4eVpjW.jpg

Those are some mighty tiny heads you've got back there.

It's a Google image though (I always use Google images), not my screen cap.. it also has no watermark... I changed it if it is questionable.

Probably a good idea. It's something uploaders do to avoid Youtube's copyright system. However, all it really does is make a show look like shit however.

Aikatsu Stars 18

Yume the true magical girl idol. More powerful than Ichigo and Mizuki combined. Koharu always getting shafted. Feels bad.

The movie looks good. I need to fly to Japan just to see it.

Crest of the Stars - 09

Eh, I'm calling it quits here as there isn't anything remaining that I really like about this. And seriously, Jinto has one of the ugliest character designs I've seen.

blurr

Pom Poko

This is the third Isao Takahata film I've seen that played on the rural life vs urban life themes in perspective of the former in positive light. This definitely lived up to my expectations in a very playful manner analogous to My Neighbours the Yamadas. I was quite surprised at how genuinely emotional it got towards the end, I was quite moved.

The story revolves around a settlement of Raccoons attempting to drive away humans and establish turfs who have been destroying their habitat over an urban development program. The raccoons leave no stone unturned in their attempts to threaten or maybe even remind the modern human civilization of their existence. They don't shy away from using violence or trickery. They employ their ability to magically "transform" into anything including humans or things of fantasy to scare the humans. The entire film is told in the perpective of the Raccoons by humanizing them to help empathize with their situation and it did work in a natural way. Despite their surrealist abilities and humanoid behaviors (visually depiected as anthromorphosized creatures) they are still a Raccoon at core in their playfulness and their animal instincts.

I think one of the most noteworthy aspects of the whole course of events is how the passage of time influences the Raccoons. As seasons pass, they continue to live as they would have indiferent to the actions of the humans although time and again they remind themselves of the urgency of the issue. When the time for action came, they begin by learning about humans, visiting them as humans or even working with them which paved for some really funny moments and it also established the belief that they can survive while being disguised as humans. Their only other conduit to the happenings of the human world and the consequence of their actions is a TV set they find in a pile of garbage. They are also shown indulging and praising human food like Tempura, Burgers, Friend Chicken etc, which went so far as to help reconsider their stance in killing every human at one point. Even the most determined of them don't deny indulgence or the luxury of modern civilization but the pain of the loss of their habitat still burns. Unfortunately for them even that bit of luxury comes at a price.

I found it weird that it does not shy away from talking or even showing off
"testicles" - that's right, balls; there was one entire sequence where a group of raccoons literally fight against riot cops using their enlarged testicles
. I am not even exaggerating. Honestly, I'm not as flabbergasted as I ought to be,
I was so compelled by the way it depicted the world and the life of those raccoons that a literal testicle fight against humans hardly fazed me.

I liked the way it concluded -
a bitter defeat but it only meant that they had no choice but to readjust to the new world. A depection of how survival of the fittest is ruthless if you do not conform to it - I did feel that the Raccoons at some point should've just relayed a simple message explaining their predicament and it did happen, while the message itself wasn't much of an influence, their illusions and tricks had acquired much needed attention to a point that they leave some of their habitat as it is. Eventually the Raccoons that can transform succumbed to the idea of living among humans which was scorned at earlier and the ones that couldn't continued to live as they did in the remaining habitat
- I tend to think that this is reflective of urbanization and decline in rural life as prevalent in Japan.

Overall this was a great film from start to finish, towards the end I ended up rooting for the Raccoons and was moved to tears
at eventual defeat and loss of life.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Crest of the Stars - 09

Eh, I'm calling it quits here as there isn't anything remaining that I really like about this. And seriously, Jinto has one of the ugliest character designs I've seen.

facepalm.gif

Gungrave 9

I wasn't expecting the show to start going downhill quite this early, but now we've got Cannon Vulcan and Blood War (no really, those are their real names) unleashing a plan to create JRPG monsters and turn them loose on the world.

Such is the fate of a video game adaptation. I have to say, while I'm not a fan of Gungrave's designs at the best of times, this episode had particularly poor character art.

Yeah. It's shame that the series shits the bed during second half. Well at least I kinda liked the ending so there is that.

ROUND VERNIAN VIFAM #5-#6

Roddy finally gets to pilot something and god he's already good at it, these kids are something else.

Episode #6 was a nice bounding episode and I had a few laugh. I really Roddy and Barts, they are very likeable characters.

Also I can't believe the
professor is dead
...He was like the only good adult characters along with Kate in the story.

It's a Google image though (I always use Google images), not my screen cap.. it also has no watermark... I changed it if it is questionable.

It's probably for the best if you learned how to screencap then. Google image searches will 90% get you a low-quality result. It's much easier if you print your screen, crop the image, resize it through Paint (or some other image editing software) and upload it to imgur or some other image hosting site.

They seem to have children at younger ages due to how fast their bodies age, so likely closer to 10-15.

That's not much better!

Cornbread78

It's probably for the best if you learned how to screencap then. Google image searches will 90% get you a low-quality result. It's much easier if you print your screen, crop the image, resize it through Paint (or some other image editing software) and upload it to imgur or some other image hosting site.

That's not much better!

I watch mostly through my phone, so I'll have to learn how to use the editing options on my Galaxy Note 5. The problem is also that imgurs mobile rehosting kinda sucks since it doesn't usdue link codes like it does on the PC version.

ZZ GUNDAM 19-22

So this got better and I actually enjoyed those last few episode quite a bit. Seeing Wong get punched by Judau gave me so much satisfaction, it was long overdue.

I still find that the argama crew has too much freedom and it kinda bugs me since it's technicly the same captain since the OYW. I was expecting a little more from Bright.

Now that the worst crew is finally dead(in a very dark way) most of the things I disliked are gone. It's quite deserving too. They prone cavalry stuff all the time and then use a civilian ship as a bomb? They deserved that death.

The ZZ dual wielding against the dressein was also pretty cool.

Kamille also just got thrown to the side with Fa huh? What a lame way to go out lol.

Puzzle & Dragons Cross Episode 7

Of course my favorite non lead character fails the first test...please stick around.

Tama is so hilarious, and Choro is so determined. I cant wait for more leveling up from Ace.

ED continues to be the best ED in all shows this season.

Aki-at

Yeah. It's shame that the series shits the bed during second half. Well at least I kinda liked the ending so there is that.

As a fan of the game I do adore the anime even if it tries to juggle between being it's own work and being an adaption but failing at times but when it's good it's great. Though the small heads big bodies get progressively worse in the series.

Saying that, the final episode in particular is the best episode in the show and has to be one of my favourite season finale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom