• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the judge and jury have spoken, Thunderbolt Fantasy it is.

Fate and Escaflowne are also good suggestions, but I've already seen them both. :p

Jintor

At least the pairings are clear, with the Cat lady being left only.

Aoba just gets around too much and messes with other pairs.

Despite some of the ed imagery I think the intent is a shy girl yuribait.

I do like her and art director chan but the show is pretty adamant about shipping art director and the other supervisor.

Quasar

I'm looking for good fantasy anime with plenty of magic. Can be slice of life or adventure or whatever. Hit me with those recs.

Well I liked Tokyo Ravens. Its fantasy in the style of Harry Potter (the latter parts) but has plenty of magic and has perhaps my favourite anime wizards duel.

Danganronpa Chapter 5/Start of 6

Suddenly reverse harem...this probably spawned some weird fanfics.

I can't believe Hiro got it in too. Toko dying from sadness isn't too surprising.
I like Kyoko as a character. Her being the
ultimate detective isn't shocking at all, but her wanting to find her father is a clearly emotional goal that neatly fits with her character. For the cool front she puts on, she's perhaps has the most reason to get emotional. The place shes stuck is is where she was hoping to meet her father after all. The cracks that appeared earlier now appear much more understandable.

zulux21

I'm looking for good fantasy anime with plenty of magic. Can be slice of life or adventure or whatever. Hit me with those recs.

meh. I guess the people who love 90s anime aren't on right now.
"Darkness from twilight, crimson from blood that flows; buried in the flow of time; in Thy great name, I pledge myself to darkness! Those who oppose us shall be destroyed by the power you and I possess! DRAGU SLAVE!!"
"tasogare yori mo kuraki mono / chi no nagare yori akaki mono / toki no nagare ni uzumore shi / idai na nanji no na ni oite / ware, koko ni yami ni chikawan / warera ga mae ni tachi fusagari shi / subete no oroka naru mono ni / ware to nanji ga chikara mote / hitoshiku horobi o ataen koto o!"

AKA slayers.

it's not an amazing show but a classic.

and in the rare case you enjoy dubs... it's got a rather interesting one.

Veronica Taylor (aka Ash Ketchem) plays a female in this.
Crispin freeman plays one of the main characters
Lisa Ortiz does a fine job as the lead
Eric Stuart (aka Brock) plays a dumb blonde in this.

aka the main cast is decent, though the rest of the cast is pretty standard bad 90s anime dub :p

I do like her and art director chan but the show is pretty adamant about shipping art director and the other supervisor.

I mean yeah, it's hard to deny that, and there are times where she's jealous when Ko is giving Aoba attention
but that happens later.
but yeah.

Pretty much Ko and whatsherface, Aoba and Hifumi, those other two girls near them, and Umiko with another person.

Thoraxes

At least the pairings are clear, with the Cat lady being left only.

Aoba just gets around too much and messes with other pairs.

Aoba, Hifumi, and her high-school friend.

Though she's kinda our vehicle to explore the other characters.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Has New Game! gotten better or is it just more of the same? (Well minus the new addition of politically incorrect remarks ones grandparents may say that make you grimace a bit)

Thoraxes

nene x umiko

I'm cool with that.

As long as nobody touches Yun.
Has New Game! gotten better or is it just more of the same? (Well minus the new addition of politically incorrect remarks ones grandparents may say that make you grimace a bit)
If you didn't like the first 3 episodes, you probably won't like any more of it. It's just more of their interactions with each other and Aoba growing as a 3D modeler.

blurr

Yet to watch the latest episode but New Game went from yourekiddingme >*eyeroll* >okay > this is nice > cute > scratching that itch > ilovethis

Thoraxes

Today's pickups:

2016-08-1602.52.263gspr.jpg

Clov

I've watched the first two episodes of Orange, since it was being recommended here and one of my friends really wanted me to give it a try. It's really good so far! Loved that little montage when the characters were just hanging out around town, it was a nice way of making the show feel energetic without using a lot of animation. I can't wait to get caught up!

As soon as I get caught up on it, then I'll be starting Urusei Yatsura. For real this time!

pbayne

Anyone else back the Otaku no Video kickstarter? Just got my copy (lol only 6 months past their projected shipping date) and very eager to get into it.

Macross: Do You Remember Love?

The TV series makes it a lot clearer why Minmay and Hikaru would never get together. All because of one asshole called Lynn Kaifun. Plus Misa and Hikaru just have more chemistry together.

Taboo Tattoo 07

I enjoyed this episode merely because it was the MC's group getting their shit roflstompped by one chick and her maid army. Funny how the Princess still found time to make one of her maids wet despite all this shit going down.

New Game! 07

I wish my boss took us out to a airsoft field for some fun. Instead her idea of fun is extra time off and donuts. Side note I almost thought the whole check up thing was weird but then I remembered my company does something similar twice a year and Hifumi sure hides her assets well.

Qurupeke

The TV series makes it a lot clearer why Minmay and Hikaru would never get together. All because of one asshole called Lynn Kaifun. Plus Misa and Hikaru just have more chemistry together.

Oh, her cousin that kissed her on the lips? I'm glad he didn't appear much on the movie.

How is the soccer anime (Days I think)?

I love Haikyuu and would be interested in another sports anime.
DAYS had a pretty weak episode last week, but I do think the rest of it is pretty enjoyable. It's far from Haikyu's quality though.

If you want a good sports anime try Big Windup! it's very great and is as good as Haikyu. The stories are also quite similar.

John Blade

Well...not going to win any award but the conclusions from the last episode. The monster which attack them is now gone for good and found out they is another monster hidden in the island the super robot team crash land which they didn't found out till near the end (also explain few things). Knight Valentine manage to work out the difference between Goh after the incident and Ellis Valentine told her secret to Anna of something she never have a chance to tell. Nothing too crazy but do bring up more development with the Valentine team. Also, it help build some strong bonding you can say with Goh and Anna after what happen.

Also, a random funny scene when Anna and Ellis at the hot spring which turn very odd for Anna quickly but come back one more time when Anna realize it's not a dream but real life.

Other than that, fun development episode with the characters.

John Blade

Macross: Do You Remember Love?

So, I finally get what Macross is. It's not just songs, transforming planes and love triangles... You can add that the best girl never wins too...

I knew it would be good, but I was really impressed by this. The storytelling was great, it's obvious that the movie is missing content but like the Macross Frontier movies it highlights the main characters and makes every scene with them to count. Also, it was surprisingly dark and graphic. I don't know if this was common to old anime or it happens because it's a movie, but there were so many gruesome deaths and melting bodies that it definitely caught me by surprise. In any case, I appreciated its serious tone. Furthermore, despite knowing most of the plot, the movie remained captivating and had its surprises. Like, I didn't expect the Zentradi to be that scary. They had the alien looks, the superior technology and weird personalities. Even for their relatively limited screen time, they were pretty good villains.

Another thing that impressed me is the art. I have trouble believing this is a movie more than 30 years old. Astonishing attention to the details of the backgrounds, the Macross ship looked ridiculously good and most of the key moments were simply gorgeous. The use of shadows and lights on it also helped on the later, just unbelievably good. And the animation wasn't bad either. Not as good as Plus' highlights, but I'd be damned if I said it wasn't great.

The two scenes with Minmay and Hikaru at the start have to be the highlights of the whole movie though. I highly regarded Macross Frontier's rendezvous scene of Alto and Sheryl, but I think I enjoyed this one a lot more. The characters seemed to genuinely have fun and grow closer to each other. And the scene on the engine room was phenomenal. Great atmosphere and very cute conclusion. Minmay was such an amazing character with so much personality. Then you have Misa, with her binary mood of either being angry or sad. I was certain that Minmay had this, but of course it had to be a complex love triangle... I guess it was successful though, as the scene on Hikaru's room certainly had me at the edge of my seat... But best girls are just destined to lose in this series...

Oh and despite javac's and John Blade's suggestions, I (obviously) skipped the TV series. I don't think I can bother for something that old and long, sorry. I think I'll probably watch it some time, I need to watch more Minmay and the movie made me interested on some of the side characters and their stories, like the romance between the Meltrandi pilot and the blue haired man. Anyway, I guess it's time for Zero and it will probably be my last Macross for now, as I don't think I'm touching Macross 7...

Well...at least you like the movie. A lot of stuff have change in the movie for pacing issue. You miss quite a bit of them because of this which mean you won't get the issue. Still, it's one of the better movie to watch and also a good example of how hand drawn animation if done right look like and how beautiful it's over 30 years have pass. You don't see this type of animation anymore now.

Clov

Anyone else back the Otaku no Video kickstarter? Just got my copy (lol only 6 months past their projected shipping date) and very eager to get into it.

Yep, I backed it! Very happy with the final disk. AnimEigo's been doing quite well with their Kickstarted BDs so far. I'm really excited to see what their next two projects are, even if they're presumably far off (given that they need to finish Riding Bean, and launch their AD Police Files Kickstarter).

jgminto

How is the soccer anime (Days I think)?

I love Haikyuu and would be interested in another sports anime.
Pick any sports anime from the last three years and it will be better than DAYS. I'd recommend watching Yowamushi Pedal or Baby Steps if you're looking for sports anime with a fun cast, or even Ace of Diamond even though the pacing is incredibly rough (it's still better than DAYS). Of course, if you haven't watched Ping Pong yet that is the obvious pick, it's without a doubt the greatest sports themed anime of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom