• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
People stuck in the mindset of "I want my physical media to be cheap and disposable" should realize that Internet streaming has largely taken over that segment of the market.

I don't want cheap and disposable stuff, I want to have at least 13 episodes for 60$. Aniplex is taking everything wrong from Japan's BD home video releases. 3 to 6 episodes for 80$? insanity.

Also we are still at a time where if I want to enjoy, let's say Eva 3.33, the Majestic Prince DUB or Magi S2 DUB I have no choice BUT to buy physical medias.

Fix this above and I'll be more lenient on accepting higher priced BD.

Nephtis

Re:Zero #21

Oh my god. I actually went all "awwww" when Wilhelm kissed Theresia, and I actually did one of those sappy sighs when they did the shot of Natsuki and Rem:

80FtJFd.png

What a wonderful conclusion to the fight. He is finally being acknowledged for what he's done, though it took a lot to get him there. All that hard work has finally paid off.

I can't wait to see what's coming up next, and I can't wait to see Betelgeuse's (sp?) end. God, why is this series about to end? The novels need to hurry up so we can't catch up to it until it's finished, and we need this entire thing animated. What a great show.

Gvitor

LMAO, did she actually say that?

Yes, haha
My photoshop skills aren't that good =p

I'm pretty sure each person sent themselves a letter from the future after that visit to Kakeru's grandma's house, so Kakeru wouldn't have gotten a letter.

Yeah, that's why I said someone, Kakeru couldn't have sent it to himself because he's dead. But maybe Naho or someone else sent it to him as well. Just wild speculation.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
GUNDAM BUILD FIGHTERS TRY ISLAND WARS:

Well then, that ranged from decent to some of the worst guttertrash I have seen all year so it is an accurate range of my feelings of the previous Try season.

Thoraxes

I don't want cheap and disposable stuff, I want to have at least 13 episodes for 60$. Aniplex is taking everything wrong from Japan's BD home video releases. 3 to 6 episodes for 80$? insanity.

Also we are still at a time where if I want to enjoy, let's say Eva 3.33, the Majestic Prince DUB or Magi S2 DUB I have no choice BUT to buy physical medias.

Fix this above and I'll be more lenient on accepting higher priced BD.

What you are suggesting is cheap and disposable though. You can get equivalent quality compared to the stuff Funimation puts out by just streaming instead. And they stream most of their dubs now too.

The difference in quality between the JP and US BDs is crazy.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
ReZero was great again, although I'll agree with what a previous poster said that its forte definitely isn't grand fantasy battles, but dialogue, drama, characterization, and story. However as an endcap to everything Subaru has been through, it was really fulfilling. He's also adding some girls to his harem slowly but surely.

I think this is going to be a la Overwatch snowball and full speed ahead happy ending, but it will be brutal if there's a curveball thrown in regarding an unexpected reset and where the checkpoint is.

What you are suggesting is cheap and disposable though. You can get equivalent quality compared to the stuff Funimation puts out by just streaming instead. And they stream most of their dubs now too.

The difference in quality between the JP and US BDs is crazy.
Is it really cheap and disposable? Im pretty sure that with Funimation for around 60/70$ I can get a nice limited edition blu ray of most of their show.

I would consider viz media's 30$ Naruto's dvd to be cheap and disposable or funimation's S.A.V.E collection too.

Copper

Orange - 8

Re:Zero - 21

Beautiful climax. And now, the final act. Hope Subaru maintains his behaviour, acting like a leader/planner. Rem did wonders with that talk.
I'll miss this. There's still a monstruous amount of source material to adapt. And with Soushin Shoujo Matoi and Steins;Gate 0, a second season may only air later next year. Sure, guess I can wait for that.

You know I'm sort of okay with that. White Fox has moved up to one of my favorite studios and from what I've heard Steins: Gate 0 is better than the original. The author himself even said he wants to see everything get adapted eventually.

kewlmyc

Re: Zero - 21

Can we please just get season 2 announcement already..

From what I understand, there isn't enough material for one yet.

Good episode this week. Although I don't really like how obsessed Rem has become with Subaru, the ending was still very sweet.

Still #2 in his heart. Kinda sad really.

People stuck in the mindset of "I want my physical media to be cheap and disposable" should realize that Internet streaming has largely taken over that segment of the market.

Well internet streaming needs to catch up and show ovas, how do people have ways to watch Haikyuu!! ovas, oregairu ova, and I could list tons more series. US licensors seem to act like ovas dont exist.

Qurupeke

From what I understand, there isn't enough material for one yet.

There is if they adapt the web novels, which apparently have enough content for like two more seasons. But yeah, they'll likely stick to the LNs, meaning there's nothing more to adapt after this arc.

Thoraxes

Is it really cheap and disposable? Im pretty sure that with Funimation for around 60/70$ I can get a nice limited edition blu ray of most of their show.

I would consider viz media's 30$ Naruto's dvd to be cheap and disposable or funimation's S.A.V.E collection too.

If you shop at the correct places, most of Funimation's new releases and pre-orders can be had at sub-$45. Their S.A.V.E. releases are even cheaper than the norm because it's basically all firesale material because of poor sales. DVDs are cheaper too, for obvious reasons. But the bitrates and encodes from them do not really merit the price hikes they've done recently either.

Maybe it's a more significant purchase for others, but for people who are enthusiasts about getting the most pristine version of a show, Funimation's efforts are not what you want to be putting your money towards.

Honestly, the only reason I buy them is because those streaming services are blocked for me at work, so I buy the physical releases, rip them, and bring them with me to work to watch.

Narag

If you shop at the correct places, most of Funimation's new releases and pre-orders can be had at sub-$45. Their S.A.V.E. releases are even cheaper than the norm because it's basically all firesale material because of poor sales. DVDs are cheaper too, for obvious reasons. But the bitrates and encodes from them do not really merit the price hikes they've done recently either.

Maybe it's a more significant purchase for others, but for people who are enthusiasts about getting the most pristine version of a show, Funimation's efforts are not what you want to be putting your money towards.

Honestly, the only reason I buy them is because those streaming services are blocked for me at work, so I buy the physical releases, rip them, and bring them with me to work to watch.

They better not fuck up Escaflowne.

Szadek

Arslan Senki Fuujin Ranbu - Ep. 8
Sure, stop the anime right before the huge epic battle that more important anything else that happened this seaon.
I don't see anything wrong with that.

As it stands, I can't recommand watching this season, unless we get a sequel.
Season 1 has a much more satisfying ending, so you should probably just stop there.

Because first girl syndrome. Plus, Emilia hasn't
killed him before unlike Rem.

That or it's a side effect of the curse of the White Witch, who knows.
I'm pretty sure there's something there. I mean the witch cast a curse on him for infinite revivals. She probably has something to at least make him attracted or addicted to Emilia. At least I hope that's why, it's possible or else it's just a dumb reason if it's just first girl syndrome.

Mailbox

Re:Zero 21

Great conclusion. Some of the Rem stuff was weird (the whole smelling line, Subaru landing into her chest when being caught, the ship baiting at the end (as much as I enjoyed that :3)) but otherwise this felt like a good conclusion to what was set up for the last 2 episodes. Now we are set up for the finale! Looks like Subaru still doesn't like purple hair knight guy, but hopefully this doesn't lead to dumb shit. Even if it does, i'll probably still end up liking it in one way or another. Excited for next week :3

I think this specific arc really needs some kudos for being radically different from the others simply due to not over relying on the gimmick. Subaru dies only in 2 episodes for a total of 3 times iirc, which, considering the length of this arc is a tiny amount. Big props for that.

The preview for Granblue Fantasy doesn't tell me much about the show, other than the fact that its mascot is horrible, and I want said mascot to suffer.

I'm sure it'll be a tsundere dragon that makes perceived cute dragon noises with some annoying VA trying her hardest to destroy my ear drums with like a PUCHIKAAAAAAAA or whatever noise they decide to make for it

Clov

Aniplex better release RE:Zero on Blu-ray and with a English dub or there will be hell to pay.

Aniplex of Japan does not have the international rights to RE:Zero, meaning that Aniplex of America will not be releasing it over here.

Pick one. You either fork out big money or you get cheap and disposable stuff. Value home video releases are a dying market for a niche market like anime.

Exactly. Physical media itself is now a niche market, and anime is another niche within that. Business wise, Aniplex is playing things very smart. They have several big name, popular titles under their belt, and the fans of these series are generally willing to pay more to own them physically. The ones who aren't just stream them.

It helps that they have pretty much the best image quality out of any company releasing anime in North America too! It's very rare to get a BD that's of the same quality as the original JP release from companies like Funimation or Sentai. They often have more problems caused by things like compression (putting up to 12 episodes on one disc can have a toll!) or different black levels (which can cause banding, or mess up the colors).

Comparatively, yes. You pay less, but get a disc that almost certainly has worse authoring. As for Funimation's limited editions, are you referring to their standard chipboard boxes? Their actual limited editions tend to be more expensive than $70. For example, their upcoming releases of Haruhi, Code Geass, and Escaflowne are $125, $120, and $150 USD respectively. Funimation is well aware that some people are willing to pay more than what the "standard" anime prices have been in North America, and they're jumping in on that bandwagon. Of course, their regular editions won't be going away; they'll stay as a more affordable option for people who want discs, but not in a collectors edition. That's the market Aniplex has no interest in, and seems to not be as big as it once was.

Mind you, those prices are still less than what Aniplex charges. It's just a difference in the audience that the companies are trying to reach with their physical products. Aniplex has no interest in getting their stuff stocked in Wal-Mart or HMV like Funimation does, so they can sell through specialty retailers and print far less copies. It's a small market, but one that's keeping Aniplex of America quite healthy.

Well internet streaming needs to catch up and show ovas, how do people have ways to watch Haikyuu!! ovas, oregairu ova, and I could list tons more series. US licensors seem to act like ovas dont exist.

This is often because a different member of the production committee sometimes gets to own the OVA. That adds another company for the licenser to negotiate with. Sometimes the company isn't willing to license out the OVA, or sometimes the licensing company doesn't feel it's worth the effort. I'm pretty sure this is why we're missing the director's cut of Gatchaman Crowds' last episode, but I could be wrong.

gargles

You know I'm sort of okay with that. White Fox has moved up to one of my favorite studios and from what I've heard Steins: Gate 0 is better than the original. The author himself even said he wants to see everything get adapted eventually.

Even though I'm buying the game as soon as I can, I'm also looking forward for S;G 0's adaption. The original was amazing and if WF puts the same amount of dedication they're putting on Re:Zero, the result may be marvelous. Hope that's what will happen.
And yeah, I've also seen that. Luckily, his wish will become true. There's not a chance Re:Zero won't have a second season with Arc 4. And if that is preceeded by S;G 0... have to agree that is great.

Copper

Even though I'm buying the game as soon as I can, I'm also looking forward for S;G 0's adaption. The original was amazing and if WF puts the same amount of dedication they're putting on Re:Zero, the result may be marvelous. Hope that's what will happen.
And yeah, I've also seen that. Luckily, his wish will become true. There's not a chance Re:Zero won't have a second season with Arc 4. And if that is preceeded by S;G 0... have to agree that is great.

I mean I've grown accustomed to waiting yearly for Western shows so I don't mind if we have to wait. But at the pace the LN is getting released in english, 1 volume every 3-4 months it worries me. Arc 4 could be an entire season itself from that I have heard.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DRAGONBALL Z KAI - EPISODE 83: Cell Invades the Airwaves! Announcing, The Cell Games.

DBZ KAI is a modern light novel show. Let me prove it.

I9YXHUE.gif

Cute Cats.

5s0yxq8.gif

Incest.

2B4wdME.gif

Fanservice.

Mailbox

Aniplex of Japan does not have the international rights to RE:Zero, meaning that Aniplex of America will not be releasing it over here.

Exactly. Physical media itself is now a niche market, and anime is another niche within that. Business wise, Aniplex is playing things very smart. They have several big name, popular titles under their belt, and the fans of these series are generally willing to pay more to own them physically. The ones who aren't just stream them.

It helps that they have pretty much the best image quality out of any company releasing anime in North America too! It's very rare to get a BD that's of the same quality as the original JP release from companies like Funimation or Sentai. They often have more problems caused by things like compression (putting up to 12 episodes on one disc can have a toll!) or different black levels (which can cause banding, or mess up the colors).

Comparatively, yes. You pay less, but get a disc that almost certainly has worse authoring. As for Funimation's limited editions, are you referring to their standard chipboard boxes? Their actual limited editions tend to be more expensive than $70. For example, their upcoming releases of Haruhi, Code Geass, and Escaflowne are $125, $120, and $150 USD respectively. Funimation is well aware that some people are willing to pay more than what the "standard" anime prices have been in North America, and they're jumping in on that bandwagon. Of course, their regular editions won't be going away; they'll stay as a more affordable option for people who want discs, but not in a collectors edition. That's the market Aniplex has no interest in, and seems to not be as big as it once was.

Mind you, those prices are still less than what Aniplex charges. It's just a difference in the audience that the companies are trying to reach with their physical products. Aniplex has no interest in getting their stuff stocked in Wal-Mart or HMV like Funimation does, so they can sell through specialty retailers and print far less copies. It's a small market, but one that's keeping Aniplex of America quite healthy.

This is often because a different member of the production committee sometimes gets to own the OVA. That adds another company for the licenser to negotiate with. Sometimes the company isn't willing to license out the OVA, or sometimes the licensing company doesn't feel it's worth the effort. I'm pretty sure this is why we're missing the director's cut of Gatchaman Crowds' last episode, but I could be wrong.

Not gonna argue you're other points but I want to correct something a bit. Standard anime pricing in the US is roughly $60-70 for 12 episodes in length. This fluctuates slightly depending on the property, but most of the time its within this range or less. Offering $120-140 for 24+ episodes is completely in the line of "Standard anime pricing".

Aniplex USA on the other hand, forces people to pay literally DOUBLE standard anime pricing, with $60 6 episode volumes, sometimes even smaller episode amounts. That is, unless, you want to buy their DVD releases (which are Aniplex USA's standard, with BD releases in the US often being "limited editions" which is bullshit that i don't want to get into) which are more in line with standard BD releases in the USA.

Cornbread78

Tales of Zestiria ep 7
Back on the Zestiria trail again. I'm really liking the way they are presenting the story and I'm sure Japan is happy with it's strong focus on Alisha. Can't wait for Edna intro next week, she was an awesome 1,000 year old loli!

GBF Try Island Wars

"You know what GBF Try needed? More pseudo-harem hijinx." - Fucking No One. All this romantic bickering never rises above average anime levels of being beyond vapid.

Not as bad as I would've thought, but its still TRY and unfortunately I will never like the main trio so TRY will never rise above average for me. Imagine this show if Sakai, Not-Aila and Galko...er I mean Gyanko was the main team but I guess thats the same as saying "Wow imagine if TRY didn't suck ass"

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You get what you pay for when it comes to Aniplex for the most part. It's still too much damn money though. They do the best overall job when they bring something over though.

Comparatively, yes. You pay less, but get a disc that almost certainly has worse authoring. As for Funimation's limited editions, are you referring to their standard chipboard boxes? Their actual limited editions tend to be more expensive than $70. For example, their upcoming releases of Haruhi, Code Geass, and Escaflowne are $125, $120, and $150 USD respectively. Funimation is well aware that some people are willing to pay more than what the "standard" anime prices have been in North America, and they're jumping in on that bandwagon.
I'm not talking about their collectors edition but their limited edition, they usually come with some nice little extras and are worth like 10$ more.

If you guys are sayong AoA has such a better quality then fine sure you win on that topic since my knowledge of bitcode and stuff is equal to almost nothing.

I normally only buy series that I really enjoy to *own* them, since these version normally have scenes redone for home video release and have surround sound which is all I need.

Also funimation also has that marathon mode which can now make my lazy self even more lazy.

Oh well AoA barely have anything I really like so I'm mainly just annoyed at those prices. I'm also pretty sure crunchyroll won't go that route.

Mailbox

You get what you pay for when it comes to Aniplex for the most part. It's still too much damn money though. They do the best overall job when they bring something over though.

>.> Double standard pricing is not worth what they are selling at all. $10 more, even $20 more i'd be okay. but $120 for 12 episodes and not much in terms of extras is insane.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
>.> Double standard pricing is not worth what they are selling at all. $10 more, even $20 more i'd be okay. but $120 for 12 episodes and not much in terms of extras is insane.

It's not the extras that I care about, it's the world class dubs. If you don't care for dubs at all then I can totally see it not being worth it. Kill la Kill, a show I didn't really love when I first watched it, has an incredible dub. SAO, another pretty bad show, has an incredible dub. They've all been like that.

Thoraxes

The video quality (bitrates, encode quality) are easily worth the enthusiast prices they ask for. I get a pristine release of a series I like in the best quality.

What is an example of an anime release with extras you appreciate? I'd like to get an idea of what you're looking for.

Re:Zero - 21

Feeling unwell, I'd love to post something a little better than this, but I'm kind of at my limit here, sorry if the post sounds rushed, all I wanna do is lay down and sleep.

Episode was awesome. To that user who said last week that they wanted more action for fighting the whale, it's right here. On top of that we got a bunch of emotional moments, with Wilfheim's memory, Subaru's congratulatoty truce with what would have otherwise been a foe in the race for the throne, and his little moment with Rem.

It upsets me that this show will be done in 4 episodes. Like someone here has mentioned White Fox has moved up on my list of anime houses to keep my eye out for, and I certainly will be waiting for that season 2 to come our way, which hopefully happens next week.

Now I'm out, need to rest.

Clov

Not gonna argue you're other points but I want to correct something a bit. Standard anime pricing in the US is roughly $60-70 for 12 episodes in length. This fluctuates slightly depending on the property, but most of the time its within this range or less. Offering $120-140 for 24+ episodes is completely in the line of "Standard anime pricing".

Aniplex USA on the other hand, forces people to pay literally DOUBLE standard anime pricing, with $60 6 episode volumes, sometimes even smaller episode amounts. That is, unless, you want to buy their DVD releases (which are Aniplex USA's standard, with BD releases in the US often being "limited editions" which is bullshit that i don't want to get into) which are more in line with standard BD releases in the USA.

Alright, fair point on the standard pricing, though some of Funimation's standard editions are lower than that for the same amount of episodes. Their Haruhi standard edition is around $50, for example. For their limited edition, they feel that there's an audience who will pay an extra $75 for a nicer box and some chibi shorts. So while it may not be as prevalent as I assumed, I do think that they're obviously capitalizing on a collectors market.

I wouldn't say that Aniplex forces you to do anything, given that there's still the option to stream several of their titles (or see them in theaters in some cases). Even some of their dubbed titles are available to stream if I remember correctly (I think Fate/Zero and Madoka have their dubs on Netflix).

Though it's true that if you want to own an Aniplex title physically, you have to pay more. That's how it is, and the model works quite well for them. They're not trying to be like Funimation or Sentai. The closest company I could compare them to would be Bandai Visual USA, though they've avoided the mistakes they made that caused them to fail (offering high priced discs in general retail settings).

Mailbox

It's not the extras that I care about, it's the world class dubs. If you don't care for dubs at all then I can totally see it not being worth it. Kill la Kill, a show I didn't really love when I first watched it, has an incredible dub. SAO, another pretty bad show, has an incredible dub. They've all been like that.

:/ But thats the weird thing about all this, if they priced their dubbed material only as double, then I'd understand a little more since they don't have an in house dub studio so costs would be more. But that's not the case. Nisekoi, Wagnaria3, Plastic memories all don't have english dubs, and don't contain any substantial extras to boot, and YET they are still priced at double the standard pricing.

I mean, the stuff where they put the most work into, and offer the most extras (which is still not nearly enough to be worth the money) are only ever limited in quantity as BD releases. Stuff like Fate/zero has no standard BD release, only a limited edition one. Isn't that fucked up?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You can also sometimes get day one sales of Funimation limited editions, and they do go down in price...which is pretty rare for anything Aniplex releases!

Lautaro

I can understand that Subaru still likes Emilia (I don't share it but that's fine), what I don't understand is why he still wants to make her the ruler, she's clearly way less prepared than most of the candidates (Crusch looks like the best choice for a leader).

What a great episode! The conclusion of the fight is very satisfying and ending scenes with Wilhelm x Theresia and Subaru x Rem are so sweet. So yeah I'm excited to see more of this show. Hopefully it will not take too long before we can get a season two :\

ReZero 21

who is emilia again
When I first saw this scene, I was very surprised and was like "What?" But then I thought it might just have been a small issue in translation. Anyway, the scene is pretty funny though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom