• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Copper

Re: Zero - 21

80FtJFd.png
AClYmod.jpg

MSZXNwj.jpg
7ODAWdY.png

Can we please just get season 2 announcement already..

GUNDAM BUILD FIGHTERS TRY ISLAND WARS

This was super fun! Rewatching Try's crew was very nice and made me remember why I liked them so much.
While the story was both simple and cheesy as hell, It was more then enought to drive it forward. Add to this the fights, the music, the animation and you have one hell of an OVA.

Kamiki Sekai is so cool.

My only complaint it that their was no Tryon 3 :( and we got that heeeeh ZZII.

T-Rex.

Banned
Re:Zero #21

I preferred Rem when she was busy killing him, all this gushing over Subaru is too cheesy for me.
EMT
. Oh and it doesn't even look like the witch is cursing him when she whispers in his ear, that's definitely some pillow talk.

Re:Zero 21

Great episode. Funny how it was pointed out as well that despite how dangerous and enormously important this fight is, the White Whale is honestly just the Mid-Boss before they get onto what Subaru's final goal in this arc is.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Colony drop
was the only redeeming part of Island Wars.

Natsuki Subaru is truely the opposite of a cliche MC. He accepts 2 girls in his heart.
Clearly Rem is #1 while Emi gets #2 status :p He almost went harem and accepted #3 but got low key rejected. I wonder how it'll be when he wins over tsundere queen blondie.

Damn, great episode. All that Rem pep talk at the end was nice :)

Aniplex better release RE:Zero on Blu-ray and with a English dub or there will be hell to pay.
You know what, I'll take the hit for this series. $100 BD collection here I come :'v

T-Rex.

Banned
Things went better than I was expecting them to with the whale which probably means we're in for some top Betelgeuse banter because I just can't see the ending being a cheery one with all that's happened so far. It just wouldn't feel right.

sonicmj1

Colony drop
was the only redeeming part of Island Wars.

Not true. There was also

Nether Gundam cameo
and confirmation that Reiji is the one who is truly Winning Gundam

The battles were pretty limp, and Nils Nielsen, Samurai Boy, Great Black American Hope was wasted, but it was a decent blast of fanservice.

phaze

Re: Zero 21
01853793u9h.jpg

Congratulations, you just got ...

Housewife'd

I dunno this whole abrupt switch to Wilhelm, after him being absent for the entirety of the episode, rubbed me the wrong way. And the cheesy and rushed flashback did nothing for me except make me chuckle a bit.

I've defended this show from being a pandering crap but alas, not only did Rem's assets get a few silly shots, she herself is gushing over Subaru like me over a bottle of coke after a 7 day soda free run. Officially a trash tier character now. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Other then that I liked it. The whale was indeed just a big tank and most of the battle wasn't all that imaginative but the end conclusion itself was good.

Do crunchyroll discs come with a dub?

Anyways I'm glad
Will didn't die, for a second there I thought the whale was gonna do some fucked up black magic self destruct upon death thing. Glad we got a happy ending for once, knowing that, I'm expecting full on torture for the next episodes :'v

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Good parts of Island Wars:

Fanservice
Colony Drop
Alien Planet
Fumina's Mom
Gunbuster Stand
Fumina and Sekai fucking

Bad parts of Island Wars:

Dull action
All those other skanks
Nielsen jobbing
Yuuma
Artistic Gunpla Champion
Lightning Gundam
That guy with the glasses
Ripping off Season 1's finale
Captain Planet
Ash losing the Kalos League
Where is Sekai's master, Domon Kasshu?
Sekai and Fumina not really fucking

TheRancor

Yeah there was the Xerox method that Disney ended up using a lot in that era, but I always thought that ended up looking a little too rough, with lots of extraneous pencil lines and marks everywhere. It's much easier to clean things up with today's technology, obviously, as well as manipulate the color and boldness while keeping the feeling of the linework.

And yeah Ghibli and Disney could do things in early digital years ahead of everyone else, but in terms of TV anime like Granblue, even a decade ago we'd probably be looking at an SD output with simple flat lines and plain colors. Anime had made a huge jump in the last 10 years in terms of what is possible on a TV schedule.

I think the biggest problem for the colorists on Kaguya was all the broken and open lines; Granblue looks much less ambitious and stylized than that so it shouldn't be nearly as much work.
I suppose it depends how much one enjoys the rough charm of the different degrees of sketchy uneven line art. Often times deliberately incorporated in older anime as part of its aesthetic, making characters and objects more wild and alive.

Line reproduction in early digital shows are quite unfortunate, lacking in detail and definition, heck even in a number of modern shows as improved as some others are. So even if we weren't meant to watch it at this detail back then, current blu-rays for the average cel tv series at least reveal a rather handcrafted character to their lines in drawings courtesy of xerography, even times when it was wonky looking. But overall the convenience and manipulation in tv anime today provide great options by contrast.

For Disney, they definitely favor smooth and clean lines, more clinical aesthetic, wonder how much they actually adjusted some of their designs to suit the new look, though they definitely got better over time to make it look smooth before finally transitioning over to another new method.

Also yeah Kaguya's issues had to do with the broken lines. As an aside, I did enjoy how The Wind Rises had a somewhat subtle vibration and shifting to its detailed lineart, especially when objects weren't moving much, but more obvious in the theatre. Helps convey the characters and objects in the movie as living and tangible things.

Gvitor

Orange 08

Well, that was expected. I do wonder if someone sent Kakeru a letter as well.

And seriously, how dumb can Naho be about the holding hands thing? I mean, Kakeru's move was pretty weird, and he did it twice, but goddammit Naho. It seems like you don't want this romance just as bad as I don't.

Thoraxes

For anyone who (for whatever reason) wanted to pick up Viz's BD of Sailor Moon Crystal, it seems like the disk has some trouble with banding and colors. It doesn't seem to be anything as bad as the awful upscaling job that they did on the original seasons, but it's definitely less than ideal... for anyone who wanted to buy Crystal, for some reason. Makes me a bit worried about their upcoming Jojo's releases.

Looks like i'll skip Crystal then.

But i'm still getting S because I need something to watch while i'm at work + we are entering Ikuhara-sama territory.

Anyways I'm glad
Will didn't die, for a second there I thought the whale was gonna do some fucked up black magic self destruct upon death thing. Glad we got a happy ending for once, knowing that, I'm expecting full on torture for the next episodes :'v
Nobody knows what their stuff is going to be yet.
AHH much better or I hope so. If crunchyroll turns into a Aniplex 2.0 i'll cry.
I'm hoping they do. I don't want someone (with what will surely be a lot of licenses) putting out shitty encodes of shows with poor bitrates on the cheap.

Mob 2
Holy shit was that way better than the first episode. I loved how he joined the club at the end, a funny twist. XD
Will continue to watch now! Time to catch up.

I'm hoping they do. I don't want someone (with what will surely be a lot of licenses) putting out shitty encodes of shows with poor bitrates on the cheap.

Are you saying you want crunchy to be like aniplex? If so you are insane. Funimation is the company they should imitate. Aniplex is the worst,the only thing they have decent is their DUB and even then it's really hit or miss.

They did say their releases will be dubbed. Free's first season is a good exemple of what to expect.

gargles

Orange - 8

I'm not sure someone as dense as Naho should ignore the letters. Not the best idea. And even though she was somewhat infuriating this episode, her obliviousness worked as a setup for this episode's main point:
everyone received a letter.
It was a heartwarming ending. They're an excellent group.
And judging from the manga, there are still 10 chapters to cover. 2 per episode, I guess. That should work (haven't read the manga, BTW).

Re:Zero - 21

Beautiful climax. And now, the final act. Hope Subaru maintains his behaviour, acting like a leader/planner. Rem did wonders with that talk.
I'll miss this. There's still a monstruous amount of source material to adapt. And with Soushin Shoujo Matoi and Steins;Gate 0, a second season may only air later next year. Sure, guess I can wait for that.

Thoraxes

Are you saying you want crunchy to be like aniplex? If so you are insane. Funimation is the company they should imitate. Aniplex is the worst,the only thing they have decent is their DUB and even then it's really hit or miss.

I absolutely want them to be like AoA. AoA gets JP BD encodes, which are lightyears ahead of anything Funimation typically puts out in terms of quality.

I will pay money equal to the quality.

People stuck in the mindset of "I want my physical media to be cheap and disposable" should realize that Internet streaming has largely taken over that segment of the market.

Active Raid S2 07
Q2jpWwW.jpg
KCJeLad.jpg

TLDR of this episode.
Back to another campy and fanservice episode, in which Unit 8/9 hunt down otaku who used bite-size drones to take voyeuristic images of women in order to sell life-sized 3D figures, with an increasingly unstable Asami taking the lead. Fun/10, though not enough Jirou.

Wanderer5

Orange 8

This has been quite a enjoyable show, through sheesh Naho lol, but hey it did lead to the reveal
that the whole group got letters lol
. I don't mind at all as the group working together has shown to be awesome really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom