• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Catching up now that subs are out.

Kuromukuro 13-14

Ep 13 was neat with the character interactions and the cliffhanger ending. Ep 14 was action packed with great mech battle and sword fights. Curious to see where the Yukihime plot goes.

blakep267

Re;Zero

Like I don't get it. First we have Subaru turning down best girl Rem who is seemingly perfect, for Emilia who hasn't shown any of the qualities Rem has or really been around Subaru that much. Now he's still set on making Emilia the ruler after watching Crusch display some real leadership and kingly qualities in defeating the white whale. I know this show has a plot, but thats the kind of performance that makes you kneel down and pledge allegiance to her right there. Because what has emilia done to show she's qualified to lead anything?

Dragon Ball Super 55

8zJRQbu.jpg

Soon enough the entire crayola box set will be super saiyan names

Quasar

People stuck in the mindset of "I want my physical media to be cheap and disposable" should realize that Internet streaming has largely taken over that segment of the market.

Or digital purchase from iTunes, Google Play et al. And thats where my gripe is. If I want to purchase the subbed version I'm mostly forced into buying on disc or streaming. for some reason Apple, etc cannot/wont sell content with multiple tracks and so only some subbed anime is available on digital store fronts.

And of course the other issue is with anime movies, how almost nothing is streamed.

Re;Zero

Like I don't get it. First we have Subaru turning down best girl Rem who is seemingly perfect, for Emilia who hasn't shown any of the qualities Rem has or really been around Subaru that much. Now he's still set on making Emilia the ruler after watching Crusch display some real leadership and kingly qualities in defeating the white whale. I know this show has a plot, but thats the kind of performance that makes you kneel down and pledge allegiance to her right there. Because what has emilia done to show she's qualified to lead anything?

At this point I'm just hoping that Emilia is only important to Subaru because of the curse. Emilia seems to be the least qualified candidate in terms of actually running shit.

tuffy

Can't remember did one of you tell me to not expect g-gundam blu-ray to come here until like 2017 or 2018 right?
The second box for G-Gundam doesn't release until November in Japan so it won't be out elsewhere until at least next year. But at the rate Sunrise is going, I wouldn't rule out a 2017 release for NA.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The main quest clearly says to make Emilia the ruler. What do you think this is, some gaijin WRPG where you can do something outside of the linear plot?

Cornbread78

Orange ep.8
Damn, this show continues to be great both aestetically as well as story wise. The past two episodes have really band the friendgroup together and now the very dense Naho has
all of them to rely on since they all got letters.
It's not all on Suwa.... Excellent stuff throughout, but man, Naho, c'mon girl, your smarter than that, lol.

jbug617

Banned
Also to add on the Aniplex's BD/DVD releases, There are two things that I don't like about their limited editions.

Two: The fact they don't actually sell their BD's here in Canada. The only ways I can get them is either through an anime store that imported (which of course means that the price gets marked up a considerable amount) or through either Rightstuf or Aniplex which then you have to take into account the CAD to USD conversion and shipping costs if you're not spending 250 bucks on RS.

Not too long ago, Right Stuf did a survey for Canadian customers. I think they are open to changing some things.

Kuromukuro 15

I will never get tired of Kennosuke dealing with modern machines lol. Nice to see the fallout of what happened last ep affecting everyone in the city.

SalvaPot

Anime made it into the Olympics guys. Medium vindicated.

Some video games showed up too and the prime minister dressed up as Mario but who gives a shit about video games.

Motherfucking Captain Tsubasa.

Wait, does this mean we are getting Golden 23 animated to its conclusion? Maybe.

Celcius

°Temp. member
GUNDAM BUILD FIGHTERS TRY ISLAND WARS

I'm glad I happened to be scanning through this thread at the right time, I didn't know this was a thing. Very enjoyable episode, some parts had me laughing and it was cool seeing all of the ridiculously powerful new moves. Plus it was cool to see that surprise at the end. Now I'm ready for season 3. :)

jbug617

Banned
You can also sometimes get day one sales of Funimation limited editions, and they do go down in price...which is pretty rare for anything Aniplex releases!

Biggest regret was not buying Baccano on Bluray. It had a reasonable price of around $50 (Aniplex release).

Cornbread78

Souma S2 ep.7
Was not expecting that outcome, then again, it gives our mighty MC a chance at redemption against
both of those two, who were in par and better than him last season
Definately adds a new wrinkle to things

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
re:zero 21
I have seen some chuuni garbage in my time, but this feels like the most repulsive version of it. Its smug attitude where it puts on airs and tries to kick things into a mode where the "heroes" are on top just comes off as laughable. Episodes like this where Subaru just gets to act cool and come out with a win simply deflate the efforts of the shows long trips into suffering. The number of failed outcomes feel so meaningless when the end result is just a very standard fantasy story. And as some kind of peak battle...everything here just felt so dumb. Nothing really happens. Consequence or compromise do not exist and we arrive at this idyllic outcome through a series of really illogical events that all just develop at an extremely slow pace. And in case that stuff was not bad enough the show renders its female characters into comical beings with some of the most overt sexism. Boring. Insulting. Embarrassing to even watch. There's only four shows that I ever bothered to give a 1/10 to but I'm expecting Re:zero to be the fifth. This is the worst kind of dumb filth and it's not even fun.

Clov

Biggest regret was not buying Baccano on Bluray. It had a reasonable price of around $50 (Aniplex release).

I regret missing out on that one too. At the time I was thinking "it's just an upscale, it's not worth it!", but now I wish I picked it up while I had the chance. I'm just going to have to get the Japanese BD-box.

Tales of Zestiria 7
I like this little Mikleo focused arc and how they give importance to the relationship between Sorey and Mikleo since it was really one of my favourite part of Zestiria. Add to this a little Sorey fight scene and a really cute little scene with kid Sorey/Mikleo and you have a really good episode. Edna next week!

Also I have to say that Zestiria's characters are just soooo good and men Sorey what a guy.

Puzzle and Dragon 5 dub

This episode was really fun and gave me a few good smile. It really gives me this old style anime feeling of the likes of beyblade. Ace finally has a soul armor! Next week is gonna be cool!

Also DTL was right it's a really nice ending, one of the best of this season. But the best is still Zestiria's ending.

Arslan 30 dub

A nice episode that made Daryun look really cool. Elam got screen time to which makes this episode even better.

One piece up to 212 dub

So I restarted my OP watch after the skypia arc and it's a slow restart. Some episodes are funs but the pacing is really slowish. Hoping those games won't last too long. Luffy is a cool guy though, he really is the only reason why I'm watching OP.

Lautaro

It seems Re:Zero is this years ''so fricking good'' or ''worst anime ever'' show. There is no middle ground lol.

That's because is pretty inconsistent, it has great moments and very crappy moments. Also Subaru is a bad character not because he's whiny or selfish but because he's as smart or dumb as the story requires him at certain moment instead of keeping some consistency.

The show is in general fun IMO and the Witch's plot allows for some fun speculation... btw is the LN finished?

Clov

The clear Monogatari cases are from the Bake set, right? I really need to pick that up at some point.
At some point being A: When I have more money, B: Once the CAD becomes decent again, or C: If there's a decent sale on it at the C&L Club

If I had to rank companies according to their bluray releases:

Aniplex
Pony Canon
Viz
Funimation
Sentai
Nozumi (just started)

I'd say Viz should be lower, their BDs have a lot of issues. Not to mention the horrific job they're doing with Sailor Moon. I'd also add Discotek, NISA, and AnimEigo right under Aniplex, their disks are pretty fantastic. If you wanted a really complete list, you could even add Media Blasters; right on the bottom if their BDs are anything like their DVDs.

Thoraxes

For the picture on the left, what anime are those 3 in the bottom right corner?
Left is Bakemonogatai Nadeko Snake (Nadeko's arc) , Middle is Nekomonogatari White, and right is Otorimonogatari.
The clear Monogatari cases are from the Bake set, right? I really need to pick that up at some point.
At some point being A: When I have more money, B: Once the CAD becomes decent again, or C: If there's a decent sale on it at the C&L Club
Yeah the clear ones are the Bake set.

Sandfox

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...partial-lineup-teases-new-anime-title/.105604

Anime original episode for My Hero Acadamia planned for the event Jump festa. It will take place between S1 and S2 and is written by Horikoshi himself.

Horikoshi is really the best. I'm pretty hyped wonder what it will be about!

Also there is something about a jump title getting its first adaptation. So new anime reveal?

The safe bet would be Black Clover, but it could very well be something from one of the other Jump magazines.

jbug617

Banned
I'd say Viz should be lower, their BDs have a lot of issues. Not to mention the horrific job they're doing with Sailor Moon. I'd also add Discotek, NISA, and AnimEigo right under Aniplex, their disks are pretty fantastic. If you wanted a really complete list, you could even add Media Blasters; right on the bottom if their BDs are anything like their DVDs.

Totally forgot about NISA. They would be after Pony Canon.

Cornbread78

13 episodes into the Let's Watch of Moribito and it has been outstanding so far! The show is pretty slow paced, but the episodes still fly by and are full of meaning. Excellent all the way around. I just wish more people joined in because like Mazinger, there's only a couple of us participating..

Thoraxes

That is why I forgot about them. I think their last release was Love Live Movie. They went big into the franchise. Maybe it didn't work out because it's probably crazy expensive to license.

They did sell out of their PEs for LL S1 and S2 though. Like almost instantly.

But yeah, they are.

Clov

That is why I forgot about them. I think their last release was Love Live Movie. They went big into the franchise. Maybe it didn't work out because it's probably crazy expensive to license.

Love Live has done very well for them. I think the anime business has just become too competitive and too expensive overall to make it worth it to them anymore, which is why they're not picking anything else up. Funimation picking up the new Love Live was pretty much the nail in the coffin; despite some successes, NISA is no longer interested in picking up anime.

Baccano 13-16

Damn It Japan, why didn't you buy more copies of this series? The fact this amazing series bombed in Japan and will very likely never get an animated continuation is so damn disappointing.

Guess I'll be reading the light novels going forward.

javac

i just learnt that the new escaflowne dub is the only available choice on the BDs and the original isnt on them.
You sure? The specs for the UK Blu-ray:

For the first time on Blu-ray in the UK, the complete TV series (26 episodes), Broadcast Version. Presented with the original Japanese language audio with English subtitles as well as the original Bandai English dub and the 2016 Funimation produced English dub.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...partial-lineup-teases-new-anime-title/.105604

Anime original episode for My Hero Acadamia planned for the event Jump festa. It will take place between S1 and S2 and is written by Horikoshi himself.

Horikoshi is really the best. I'm pretty hyped, wonder what it will be about!

Also there is something about a jump title getting its first adaptation. So new anime reveal?

I need BLack Clover anime, Hinomaru Zumou too, and lastly Platinum End.

manfestival

I have always felt like I really wanted to watch jeeg and mazinger but the material always feels like it is hard to find or there are no real recommendations on what to watch but I did end up getting some good recommendations here when I asked about cyborg 009 and devilman last time so maybe you guys can give me some good advice on finding the right stuff for those kind of shows. Also is overman king gainer worth watching?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'd love someone to do a RPG party status layout for Subaru's current team

Subaru
Thunder God Cid
Beastman
Cute Cat Boy
Cute Cat Girl
Purple haired guy MC hates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom