• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they got this one right at least:
udFQwpq.png
What?! You cray cat, that's the most wrong of them all! At least they gave MHA a good score. Good MAL people.

Anyway food wars s2 will probably fall once the seasons end.

When I say fall, I mean that right now it's all the votes from the crazy people who score 1 episode in.

TheRancor

It's a stylistic choice to show the raw pencil lines that's only really become possibly in the last few years, I think. Before that computer scanning was too primitive/low-res and physical cels required painted lines obviously.
Raw pencil lines were already possible in cels due to xerography, Ashita no Joe anyone? It wasn't necessary to ink lines in cels anymore once xerography was introduced to work commercially and cheaply (101 Dalmatians) and one of its side effects was showing more raw pencil lines instead of the smooth delicate ink lines. Of course inking could still be done again after for stylistic purposes like having colored outlines.

As for computer scanning being too primitive/low res, that's not exactly the case as early digital anime movies like Ghibli's My Neighbour the Yamadas is full of rough lineart. Obviously movies are in a whole different ballpark in terms of effort, time and money to do these things especially when the entire industry was still trying to transition. But of course, you could be meaning what was practical for tv shows of the time rather than technologically.

To bring this further, having line art that is really raw and rough like Princess Kaguya and Animatrix's Kid's Story makes coloring in digital to be much more tricky.

Wow. How far might it go. Guess I need to get pass ch29.

Albert is fantastic.

The first arc of the story ends at chapter 63, and considering that those chapters definitely won't make for a full episode I feel like it's save to say that the main story will get fully adapted.

Currently there's a second arc that gets a new chapter on the regular, so they might just adapt that as well while they're at it. But since that arc hasn't finished yet (and because I'm bad at converting game chapters to anime episodes) I'm not super confident.

Honestly, the main story in these kind of games isn't the most exciting thing in the world, so I'm hoping that they'll throw in a few mini-arcs of some popular events like the Mecha and SOIYA ones, since those are a lot of fun. But I doubt that will happen.

zulux21

Alderamin picks up a lot with the second episode and only gets better. The first episode is easily the slowest due to it introducing all the characters and setting up the situation.
It's one of my favorites of this season.

So go watch the next episode already :p

I plan to watch more, just need to find time :p
stupid work and getting ready for a con is getting in the way.

Arslan 8
Of course they end this on a cliffhanger just as the show is getting interesting again. This season was largely a waste as all that time spent hunting pirates and messing with Narsus' friend went nowhere. Hopefully they'll actually adapt the end in some way.

Narag

Gundam Build Fighters Try Island Wars

Now that was an acceptable apology letter for the TV show. Turns out there's a great little cast dynamic going on when not being crushed by forced tournament drama. Escalating the sense of danger past the afterschool nonsense the TV show had relegated it it to was very, very welcome. It's closer to the original GBF in spirit (like episodes 1 & 25 of GBF Try) and the cues taken from that particular show were a pleasure to revisit.

Clov

For anyone who (for whatever reason) wanted to pick up Viz's BD of Sailor Moon Crystal, it seems like the disk has some trouble with banding and colors. It doesn't seem to be anything as bad as the awful upscaling job that they did on the original seasons, but it's definitely less than ideal... for anyone who wanted to buy Crystal, for some reason. Makes me a bit worried about their upcoming Jojo's releases.

The first arc of the story ends at chapter 63, and considering that those chapters definitely won't make for a full episode I feel like it's save to say that the main story will get fully adapted.

Currently there's a second arc that gets a new chapter on the regular, so they might just adapt that as well while they're at it. But since that arc hasn't finished yet (and because I'm bad at converting game chapters to anime episodes) I'm not super confident.

Honestly, the main story in these kind of games isn't the most exciting thing in the world, so I'm hoping that they'll throw in a few mini-arcs of some popular events like the Mecha and SOIYA ones, since those are a lot of fun. But I doubt that will happen.

I hope boots & blades gets animated and the memories one both were so good.

duckroll

That was alright. Lots of zzzz punching as usual, lots of beam spamming, the fights weren't particularly interesting or tactical, but the character stuff is pretty cute. I liked the fanservice with the surprise cameos by certain mechs while they were breaking through to the end. The big surprise in the final battle was pretty neat too in a G-Gundam way. But... in the end this entire scenario was sadly just a teaser for the REAL Build Fighters OVA which they can't make yet because SOMEONE *cough cough cough* is too busy with some STUPID manga adaptation which is getting another season *cough*. Grrrrrrrr.

It seems obvious that this was designed as a companion piece showing the Try characters while the BF one would have been about Sei and Reiji. But.... instead... we just get this...

Branduil

Raw pencil lines were already possible in cels due to xerography, Ashita no Joe anyone? It wasn't necessary to ink lines in cels anymore once xerography was introduced to work commercially and cheaply (101 Dalmatians) and one of its side effects was showing more raw pencil lines instead of the smooth delicate ink lines. Of course inking could still be done again after for stylistic purposes like having colored outlines.

As for computer scanning being too primitive/low res, that's not exactly the case as early digital anime movies like Ghibli's My Neighbour the Yamadas is full of rough lineart. Obviously movies are in a whole different ballpark in terms of effort, time and money to do these things especially when the entire industry was still trying to transition. But of course, you could be meaning what was practical for tv shows of the time rather than technologically.

To bring this further, having line art that is really raw and rough like Princess Kaguya and Animatrix's Kid's Story makes coloring in digital to be much more tricky.

Yeah there was the Xerox method that Disney ended up using a lot in that era, but I always thought that ended up looking a little too rough, with lots of extraneous pencil lines and marks everywhere. It's much easier to clean things up with today's technology, obviously, as well as manipulate the color and boldness while keeping the feeling of the linework.

And yeah Ghibli and Disney could do things in early digital years ahead of everyone else, but in terms of TV anime like Granblue, even a decade ago we'd probably be looking at an SD output with simple flat lines and plain colors. Anime had made a huge jump in the last 10 years in terms of what is possible on a TV schedule.

I think the biggest problem for the colorists on Kaguya was all the broken and open lines; Granblue looks much less ambitious and stylized than that so it shouldn't be nearly as much work.

Line_HTX

Show by Rock is based on a mobage and was good fun.

I guess I kept seeing a whole slew of Fate Grand/Order consistently on my timeline for months on end that I got tired of it. That on top of me already fatigued with Fate as a whole just made me wish mobages crash. I'm sure Granblue Fantasy is fun though.

Hey guys, find a okay taste list here.
Niconico 2016 summer shows mid season result:

Top 10:
1.JoJo
2.Amaama to Inazuma
3.Re:Zero
4.Shokugeki no Soma s2
5.Kuromukuro
6.Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru!
7.ReLife
8.New Game!
9.Alderamin on the Sky
10.Mob Psycho 100

Bottom 10:
1.Hitori no Shita: The Outcast
2.Tsukiuta. The Animation
3.Scared Rider Xechs
4.Servamp
5.Binan Koukou Chikyuu Bouei-bu LOVE! LOVE!
6.D.Gray-man Hallow
7.B-Project: Kodou*Ambitious
8.Ange Vierge
9.Hatsukoi Monster
10.End this ride
F0m1e6E.jpg

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 19

There's a dance competition and Johnny Bepp doesn't appear? Aikatsu, you have failed me. Beyond that, Yuzu is a beast. The entire Dance Class is her handler, and they can barely contain her. Even with a freaking net gun. And she can speak to animals. And ride ostriches. Add beastmaster to her list of accomplishments. All in her second year. Which partially explains why there's no dance students among the first years, as she'll still be around next year. Yuzu dance would be hype, but Ako just did Marina of August a couple episodes ago. Awesome appeal though. Of course she blows away the competition. She'd be queen of the academy if she bothered to try. Though why bother when that position will fall to her next year. Haruka gets to appear again. And gets a lucky trip to LA. Is Yuzu allowed to just give away her expensive trip? Guess we won't be seeing Haruka for a while. Hopefully we get a more permanent dance student later. That leaves Tsubasa and Koharu as the only ones that need a performance. Well, the former seems to be coming up next. I guess they want all 9 character on stage before the mid-season.

Edit: Oh, and Yuzu knows someone important. Principal Evil's important person, or someone else?

Cornbread78

Qualidea ep.7
I mean the race to save the princess in time (like a cute lil' yuri love story) was pretty good, but does anyone have any ideas as to what happened at the end of that episode? So much randomness

Syrinx

Aikatsu! Stars 15

Please let Mahiru be done being the absolute fucking worst.

Aikatsu! Stars 16

Missing a potential major career-booster so you can dance in a stupid fish costume.

Tales of Zestiria The X Episode 7 Their Respective Thoughts

The mikleo journey on his own content was great, though it also helped the writers push forward with SoreyMeebo. Also it seemed a lot of original content which was good.

Granblue fantasy game tells me absolutely nothing about what to expect for this show, but I expect the blue haired girl is some angel or demon while the boy is some rooky hero while the other sword lady is the real expert, but the rooky hero has some heart or some shit and while he starts out with crap skills he levels up throughout the show until he saved the world and possibly gets the girl before she sacrifices herself to save him. Then the final shot is of an older version of him going around with a beard or some shit fighting monsters

I just get a good laugh when ever someone brings up their ratings/rankings here because they are completely dismissed as garbage and useless immediately. Regardless of the minor issues involved in their ratings, they do give a decent "snapshot" (with a large sample size) of how the anime community looks at a show.

It's not the "anime ratings gospel" at all, just a good reference point.

But you see, it's actually not a good reference point.

There are so many great shows out there that get overlooked or underrated on that site (or any anime ratings site for that matter) because people score the show low after dropping it after a few episodes, or don't watch it at all due to its low popularity.

Here's Majin Bone's score on MAL.

6.86 among an average of 1,484 people.

By this "reference point", this show doesn't seem to be very good, and there're probably much better shows on the site that have much higher scores and are much more popular.

Clearly, it's a show that's not worth people's time, right?

Well, I was recommended Majin Bone not by MAL, but by fellow GAF user Madp. He loved this show, and gave examples as to why he thought it was good. After being impressed by the show's use of CG (something that is usually a huge turn-off for me), I decided to make a watchbet with him. I went in the show with fairly mild expectations, wondering what made this show I've never heard of good enough for him to recommend.

It wasn't long before I found myself binge-watching it and making it one of my favourite shows of all time.

I would have missed out on so much had I dismissed the show based off MAL's "reference" point.

The reason why we dismiss MAL scores as garbage and useless is because you're not listening to people. You're listening to numbers. Sure, they may be representative of what the general anime community thinks of the show, but as others have said, it's not representative of the show's actual quality.

Saudades

giphy.gif

Didn't know this was coming out till it popped up on my subscription feed. Went in with low expectations considering how poor GBFT was and still wanted my time back. This OVA is basically all that is wrong with GBFT in a nutshell - boring battles with bullshit particle hax, that fucking love quadrangle, most of the characters being one dimensional and the ones that aren't barely have any screentime, half-ass homage to other series and the way better first season.
Actually the only bright spots in GBFT as a whole really is the callback to GBF - the Niels arc with Meijin in the series and
fuck yeah Aila cameo
in this OVA.
That last scene with the 3 Gunplas was sweet. And the 'build your own gunpla' thing at the end while contrived as hell at least has some heart in it.
And damn son, there was like what, 7 years between seasons? Reiji and Aila must've not waste anytime if they had a kid that big already. Unless there's some slowed time going on in that alternate world of theirs.

Ascheroth

There are so many great shows out there that get overlooked or underrated on that site (or any anime ratings site for that matter) because people score the show low after dropping it after a few episodes, or don't watch it at all due to its low popularity.

*snip*

Can confirm that Majin Bone is great.
Can also confirm that MAL scores are worthless shit.

Cornbread78

Endride ep.19
Whoa, the story just took a strange turn I didn't think about. I mean, it was funny seeing Emilio's reactions of
being in Shun's world on the surface, but the other stuff.... damn.
Should be an interesting follow-up to that bomb drop next week.

Cornbread78

The reason why we dismiss MAL scores as garbage and useless is because you're not listening to people. You're listening to numbers. Sure, they may be representative of what the general anime community thinks of the show, but as others have said, it's not representative of the show's actual quality.

This is true and all that really matters. Sure some may love that show, but it doesn't look like it resonated greatly with the larger anime community as a whole. I mean, I'm sure you will say the same about Hummingbird's rating as well (3.07/5) which comes out about the same.

Everyone has their own opinions on what is "good" so yeah, it does give a pretty good general snapshot on what the larger community feels about something, but it's not gospel as we know, and only used as a general reference point.

phaze

Thunderbolt Fantasy 06
This show is good when it's about Shang talking to peeps and facepalming a lot.

Though not so much when it's about hurr durr Flying Swallow of the Chuxing River attack on a bunch of clone mooks.

Bonus points though for providing an actual map of the world. Fantasy stories that refuse to do so need to die in the fiery pits of hell.

By this "reference point", this show doesn't seem to be very good, and there're probably much better shows on the site that have much higher scores and are much more popular.

Clearly, it's a show that's not worth people's time, right?

Well, I was recommended Majin Bone not by MAL, but by fellow GAF user Madp. He loved this show, and gave examples as to why he thought it was good. After being impressed by the show's use of CG (something that is usually a huge turn-off for me), I decided to make a watchbet with him. I went in the show with fairly mild expectations, wondering what made this show I've never heard of good enough for him to recommend.

It wasn't long before I found myself binge-watching it and making it one of my favourite shows of all time.

I would have missed out on so much had I dismissed the show based off MAL's "reference" point.

majin bone and shows of its type suffer on sites because not enough people watch or give them a chance. What reason did you have for skipping it when it first aired. If you hadnt had a watchbet would you have ever watched it? I imagine if more had watched it it would be higher :(

Active Raid Second Episode 7 – Absolute Peeping Declaration
CqZnmiaW8AAFuLP.jpg:small
CqZnxn-WcAIQAIN.jpg:small

Interesting beach episode that was fairly different due to the usual technology type stuff going on and the animey otaku focus of the plot.
is it really that easy to 3D print figures?

Thunderbolt Fantasy 06

This show is good when it's about Shang talking to peeps and facepalming a lot.

Though not so much when it's about hurr durr Flying Swallow of the Chuxing River attack on a bunch of clone mooks.

Bonus points though for providing an actual map of the world. Fantasy stories that refuse to do so need to die in the fiery pits of hell.

ban this man

Cornbread78

Rewrite ep.8
Well hello Kagari, nice to formally meet you finally. It's a shame the pacibg is all over the place in this show as new world concepts are still being introduced 8 epidodes in. I'm guessing the final 5 episodes will focus on getting
Kagari's memories back
and helping to possibly stop a disaster from happening? Still too much going on though..

Qurupeke

Re: Zero 21
Nice conclusion and Subaru finally accomplished something. Even the Rem scenes in this episode weren't as awful as usual, though Wilhelm and Theresia had the cutest moment of the episode. The battle didn't feel as good as the first part of it, but still very enjoyable with some great moments. Looking forward to see how they'll top this with the incoming Betelgeuse encounter, Subaru has his own mini army now. Last time, Pack solo'd him quickly, so I'm curious if there are more to him than "invisible hands".

Exalted

Re Zero episode 21

No intro and outro this time, they used all the time they had for this episode. That was one crazy fight and Subarus plan was even more crazy.
So Willheim actually survived, didn't expect that.
It's finally time for the face of against the witches cult, can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom