• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjonaug

I'm gonna be be dead Sirius (black) for a second here.

What is the Anime equivalent of the wire?

Both critically acclaimed and considered the best, but it also has the downside of overbearing fans who need to mention it at every single turn?

I used to think Evangelion, but I don't see it recommended that often.

Madoka, maybe? Disclaimer: I'm one of those fans lol

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, No!

I've run out of JoJo, Danganronpa 3, and Re:Zero episodes to catch up on and now I don't know what to do with myself.

I need more anime but I don't know where to get it.

The twelve Kingdoms - 01-17

It's okay. Will probably drop it since it's 45 episodes and I couldn't be bothered to watch the last couple episodes without doing sth on the side due to waning interest.

Kemono no Souja - 01-04

Very good thus far. Beautiful art direction and I already teared up in episode 4 so it seems to get me invested quite well.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
They made an anime about an obscure Mega Man boss?

Anyhow, DMCA apparently wants to hide it from google, so meh.

Well, that looks wierd.

Guess I'll try it out.
Its actually a cyborg 009 omage.
Hnnnnnngggg
If rightstuf site wasnt dumb all the time id get it right now.
Hnnnnnnnngg
Also if i wasnt branded like this my brand would be skull man eficienado. That series is great even if confusing.

I'm gonna be be dead Sirius (black) for a second here.

What is the Anime equivalent of the wire?

Both critically acclaimed and considered the best, but it also has the downside of overbearing fans who need to mention it at every single turn?

I used to think Evangelion, but I don't see it recommended that often.

Planetes, Mushishi?

Evangelion is already 20+ years old, there is a bias for more modern stuff. Even The Wire will be recommended less in ten years time.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that soft gauze moe art style has become an industry standard and given us some horrific aberrations like School-Live!

School-Live's character designs are not good, but they're not particularly similar to Horiguchi's style. And as I always say when people start complaining about how K-ON killed anime by inventing moe, Azumanga Daioh is a much earlier example of this sort of cute girl light comedy and would probably be considered part of the "soft gauze moe art style" you conceive of.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Watch Thunderbolt Fantasy.

Ok, finished first couple episodes on Crunchyroll.

There does seem to be an overall very high level of quality throughout the presentation that's really quite impressive. The scenarios, dialog, VO, BGM and overall flow seems very much on point. I might keep watching it just for that.

Only problem is the plot and characters seem purposefully aggressively generic, which doesn't really work for me personally.

I do appreciate the recommendation, and I'm not a fan of pirating, but I have to admit it's hard to justify spending money on a single anime you may not like when so many of them are cheaply available for legal streaming.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
bEzlq9K.jpg

TEhig0g.jpg
delete anime. tia.

stryke

how the hell does an anime like bubuki buranki gets the green light for a second season? Did the dvd/blurays do well or something?

jgminto

Also remember that Mind Game was Yuasa's first real full work as a director. I think the problems with its rambling structure and unrestrained excess can be partially attributed to inexperience. Yuasa has gotten better with structuring a long-form narrative with each subsequent major work. So I'm really looking forward to the film Yuasa is currently in the process of making.
That's true but it's difficult to imagine a fully successful long-form adaptation of the story no matter the director. Very little actually happens in the 100 minute runtime and over half of that was set in a single location. More time could have been dedicated to direct conversations between the cast but then the elegance of the visual storytelling would be lost. It seems like a story that is suited for a shorter OVA format than a full cinema release where people expect their attention to be kept for a certain amount of time.

/XX/

Girls und Panzer: the last chapter announced.
Yes it's happening guys.
https://twitter.com/garupan/status/769837235852095488/photo/1
Cool! I hope the promotional video shown at the event is uploaded soon:

『ガルパン』最終章の制作が決定、大洗女子学園の一大事に新生徒会が活躍? | マイナビニュース
http://news.mynavi.jp/news/2016/08/28/138/

Nicer upload straight from the OG '.SWF'.

please don't ever link this again.
I know we can't forget the past. We can't forget love and pride. Because of that it's killing me inside.
Yep, we can't forget the alternate endings comics also made by 3-Angled-Blue too... good end along W.T. Snacks in animation is included!

blurr

Stranger Things 02-08 END

That was a cool mystery/horror/thriller comprising a cast of diverse age groups. Much of it was predictable or nothing particularly new but it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. It's a collection of familiar things, references and narratives presented really well with its own little sense of mystery.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Stranger Things 02-08 END

That was a cool mystery/horror/thriller comprising a cast of diverse age groups. Much of it was predictable or nothing particularly new but it wasn't necessarily a bad thing. It's a collection of familiar things, references and narratives presented really well with its own little sense of mystery.

You know, I wonder if someone could make an anime version of this - by that I mean something with that 80s big hair sexy cyberpunk hand cannon look, but without it looking completely out of place. I guess there's Jojo, but I don't really feel any nostalgia when I watch it.

NeonZ

I've now watched up to episode 131 of Urusei Yatsura. While so far I don't think the show has reached some of the highs that it did during Oshii's run, it's still had some pretty good episodes! 112, 113, 129 are probably my favorites of the second half so far. Seeing Benten and Ryunosuke try to rescue a kitten made for a fun episode! The improvement in animation starting in Deen's run is also very noticeable by now, there's been some really nice looking sequences every now and then.

It's the one where they go to some other city, right? That episode was anime original too. UY was very lucky with the staff handling its original tv series adaptation. It really would be nowhere near as memorable if it had been a straight manga adaptation.

Jarmel

Banned
You know, I wonder if someone could make an anime version of this - by that I mean something with that 80s big hair sexy cyberpunk hand cannon look, but without it looking completely out of place. I guess there's Jojo, but I don't really feel any nostalgia when I watch it.

The only one probably capable of that from a directing standpoint would be Imaishi. That said, trying to emulate that style would require getting the old character designers such as Akemi Takada or Haruhiko Mikimoto out of psudeo-retirement. Kabaneri was kinda close with the character designs and animation however the direction was largely Araki.

The only one probably capable of that from a directing standpoint would be Imaishi. That said, trying to emulate that style would require getting the old character designers such as Akemi Takada or Haruhiko Mikimoto out of psudeo-retirement. Kabaneri was kinda close with the character designs and animation however the direction was largely Araki.

Nothing I've seen from Imaishi leads me to believe he's capable of creating some sort of imitation of 1980s anime such as Dirty Pair. Ultimately I don't think anyone is capable of creating a faux-80s anime on any substantial scale. The technology, the aesthetics, simply the basics of how Japanese animators approach drawing has changed too much. I can't see the point in attempting such a thing, except as some brief deliberately referential tribute/parody segment as in the Andes Chucky scenes in Shirobako or Osomatsu-san episode 1's beginning (though that's going back to the 1960s).

Theonik

Is it time to put the skirts away?
Garupan living up to its name.

Nothing I've seen from Imaishi leads me to believe he's capable of creating some sort of imitation of 1980s anime such as Dirty Pair. Ultimately I don't think anyone is capable of creating a faux-80s anime on any substantial scale. The technology, the aesthetics, simply the basics of how Japanese animators approach drawing has changed too much. I can't see the point in attempting such a thing, except as some brief deliberately referential tribute/parody segment as in the Andes Chucky scenes in Shirobako or Osomatsu-san episode 1's beginning (though that's going back to the 1960s).
Monogarari sort of tried it with the crab arc op too.

Busaiku

Funimation brings in some California talent in rare occasions, but is One Punch Man the first time a non-Funimation production involved a number of Texas VA?

Qurupeke

Fate/Zero [END]

I can't comprehend this.

So, did Kiritsugu win the war? I get that the Holy Grail was evil, but was that destruction his wish, twisted? And why did Kirei and Archer get resurrected if they essentially lost? But then, why did Kirei's wish become a reality? Also, what about Saber, did she die? I didn't expect such a weird ending...

But wow, so much strangling and so much Kariya suffering... That scene with Sakura was such a horrible tease for him. RIP. Ah, and I loved Waver's encounter with Archer.

Such a great show. Next is UBW?

Fate/Zero [END]

I can't comprehend this.

So, did Kiritsugu win the war? I get that the Holy Grail was evil, but was that destruction his wish, twisted? And why did Kirei and Archer get resurrected if they essentially lost? But then, why did Kirei's wish become a reality? Also, what about Saber, did she die? I didn't expect such a weird ending...

But wow, so much strangling and so much Kariya suffering... That scene with Sakura was such a horrible tease for him. RIP. Ah, and I loved Waver's encounter with Archer.

Such a great show. Next is UBW?

Just FYI most people will tell you UBW is not so good. It isn't as bad as people make it out to be, but it certainly doesn't hold a candle to F/Z. If anything though, it's very well worth it for the animation and crazy choreography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom