• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Xam'd Lost Memories 21
018652jcxf5.jpg
018661gxlht.jpg
018664uflqc.jpg

There is a romance of two ~40 year old characters in my anime. And a full blown, shown kiss.

What the hell.

-------

ED3 is, again, really good.

Line_HTX

Food Wars 2nd Plate 07

Kind of expected the other semis match to get rushed a little to make way for the big Grand Finals.

Ryo is really starting to annoy me with his holier than thou shit, and this time he crossed a line with Akira calling him a one trick pony spice. God, fuck his stupid condescending atttitude...

Cornbread78

Kaiba ep.10
Soo much makes sense now that they told the full backstory. Poor Neiro just
killed her long lost lover
and is just breaking out of the trance to realize it..

Qualidea Code - 8
I don't know what it is, but I really like this show. I just wish the animation was better. Over the last few episodes the story has really started to kick off and this has become the show I am excited to watch every saturday

Largo

Hello, hey, hi.

So I've been look for drama series to marathon lately, and finally ran out of stuff to watch. Just finished Your Lie In April, Hyouka, and Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu(?) season 1 and liked them all. Anybody have any suggestions for series I might have missed?

Narag

Hello, hey, hi.

So I've been look for drama series to marathon lately, and finally ran out of stuff to watch. Just finished Your Lie In April, Hyouka, and Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu(?) season 1 and liked them all. Anybody have any suggestions for series I might have missed?

Ping Pong
Flowers of Evil
Mushishi

Cornbread78

Hello, hey, hi.

Drama? Hmm

Clannad
Little Busters
Anohana
Kanon(2006)
Angel Beats
Air
Full Moon wo Sagashite

Clov

Ping Pong
Flowers of Evil
Mushishi

All excellent choices, all of which I'd second. I'd also like to add a few:
Bunny Drop
Princess Jellyfish
Wandering Son

You may also enjoy Ristorante Paradiso, which is streaming on Nozomi Entertainment's Youtube channel.

I'd also highly recommend Paradise Kiss, though it's not currently streaming anywhere.

Glasslip
M3
Nagiasu

Please do not watch Glasslip. Just yesterday we had someone just barely avoid getting into that disaster of an anime.

Qurupeke

Maybe a bit off topic, but does an ultrawide monitor work well with anime? I think most new animes have 16:9 aspect ratio, so how annoying are the black bars on such a monitor? I lost two monitors the last couple of months and I'm kind of interested in getting a new 21:9 monitor, even though I don't play FPS.

Largo

Ping Pong
Flowers of Evil
Mushishi

Saw Ping Pong and Mushishi already, wasn't too sure on Flowers of Evil, the rotoscoped style weirded me out, but if the story is good, I might revisit it. Thanks.

Drama? Hmm

Clannad
Little Busters
Kanon(2006)
Angel Beats
Air
Full Moon wo Sagashite

I hear people talk up Clannad a lot, so I might revisit that. Will check out the rest, thanks!

All excellent choices, all of which I'd second. I'd also like to add a few:
Bunny Drop
Princess Jellyfish
Wandering Son

You may also enjoy Ristorante Paradiso, which is streaming on Nozomi Entertainment's Youtube channel.

I'd also highly recommend Paradise Kiss, though it's not currently streaming anywhere.

Please do not watch Glasslip. Just yesterday we had someone just barely avoid getting into that disaster of an anime.

Thanks! Even through process of elimination, this should fill up my week before I move out.

Joe Molotov

Maybe a bit off topic, but does an ultrawide monitor work well with anime? I think most new animes have 16:9 aspect ratio, so how annoying are the black bars on such a monitor? I lost two monitors the last couple of months and I'm kind of interested in getting a new 21:9 monitor, even though I don't play FPS.

Works well with Hidamari Sketch.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Hello, hey, hi.

XXXholic and sequels. Dont watch the movie.

TUSR

Banned

competitive fps on a 21:9

depends on the resolution too

black bars are fine

Hello, hey, hi.

If you want high quality TV drama, I would recommend the following:

Anne of Green Gables
Eccentic Family
Fafner (if you can get through the roughness in the original series, subsequent franchise entries improve drastically)
Fantastic Children
Gankutsuou
Garo the Animation
Gunslinger Girl
Hunter X Hunter 1999
Kaiba
Master Keaton
Mononoke
Oniisama e
Shounen Hollywood
Sound Euphonium
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Trapeze
Wolf's Rain

And I would second Narag's recommendations for Mushishi, Ping Pong, and Flowers of Evil.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Anne of Green Gables
Eccentic Family
Fafner (if you can get through the roughness in the original series, subsequent franchise entries improve drastically)
Fantastic Children
Gankutsuou
Garo the Animation
Gunslinger Girl
Hunter X Hunter 1999
Kaiba
Master Keaton
Mononoke
Oniisama e
Shounen Hollywood
Sound Euphonium
Trapeze
Wolf's Rain

And I would second Narag's recommendations for Mushishi, Ping Pong, and Flowers of Evil.
wtf is with japan and old American folklore? Im going through my sites list and it also has the little house on the prairie or something like that.Does it have to do with quilts or victorian age?

Clov

Anne of Green Gables
Eccentic Family
Fantastic Children
Gankutsuou

Garo the Animation
Gunslinger Girl
Hunter X Hunter 1999
Kaiba
Master Keaton
Mononoke
Oniisama e

Shounen Hollywood
Sound Euphonium
Trapeze
Wolf's Rain

I've seen the bolded, and I can confirm they're all great choices. Though based on what Largo was looking to follow up on, I think it's worth noting that many of these anime branch a little out of what might be thought of as a standard drama and into fantastic or surreal territory. Not that that's bad at all, they're just a bit different.

I'd also like to add The Rose of Versailles to this list. It's my personal favorite out of what I've seen of Dezaki's work.

Shokugeki no Soma S2 - 09

This is going way too fast. I would've liked to see more of the actual cooking, especially considering its this 3 way finale thing?
Praise be Alice's mother with the broken japanese, I want her to read me bedtime stories with it.

XXXholic and sequels. Dont watch the movie.

Interesting. I had always heard that the xxxHolic TV series was mediocre but the movie was worth seeing.

wtf is with japan and old American folklore? Im going through my sites list and it also has the little house on the prairie or something like that.Does it have to do with quilts or victorian age?

Anne of Green Gables is neither American (except in the broad sense of North America including Canada) or folklore! It's part of an old anime block called World Masterpiece Theater which adapted various international works of children's literature into TV anime. Other books adapted include Heidi, Tom Sawyer, and Swiss Family Robinson.

Largo

I've seen the bolded, and I can confirm they're all great choices. Though based on what Largo was looking to follow up on, I think it's worth noting that many of these anime branch a little out of what might be thought of as a standard drama and into fantastic or surreal territory. Not that that's bad at all, they're just a bit different.

I'd also like to add The Rose of Versailles to this list. It's my personal favorite out of what I've seen of Dezaki's work.

Yeah, although my nomenclature is probably way off, the stuff I was looking for might veer closer to "slice of life"? I kind of burned out on futuristic/fantasy/another goddamn dude stuck in a virtual world anime and was enjoying more grounded shows. Rakugo was kind of a treat since it didn't take place in a high school. Or a future high school.

Clov

Yeah, although my nomenclature is probably way off, the stuff I was looking for might veer closer to "slice of life"? I kind of burned out on futuristic/fantasy/another goddamn dude stuck in a virtual world anime and was enjoying more grounded shows. Rakugo was kind of a treat since it didn't take place in a high school. Or a future high school.

For more grounded dramas from Hosanna's list out of what I've seen, there's Oniisama e and Sound Euphonium. Kaiba, Mononoke and Trapeze all have a surrealist bend to them, while Fantastic Children, Eccentric Family, and Wolf's Rain have a sort of "modern fantasy" vibe. Gakutsuou has a sci-fi setting (it's a retelling of The Count of Monte Cristo). I'll reiterate that they're all great choices, but the first ones I listed are probably more what you're looking for right now.

Cornbread78

I hear people talk up Clannad a lot, so I might revisit that. Will check out the rest, thanks!

Clannad is an amazing experience.

I added it later, but Anohana is also excellent. Erased can also be a good watch, as well as, Orange, which is airing currently.

Thud

Lupin III Part 1

hqdefault.jpg

It's a very interesting piece of work. Lots of ideas in scene and animation. I'm not that familiar with the 70's anime, but I thought it held up nicely. The discrepancy in direction is also fascinating to see and read about. The first 6 episodes had some dark tones to it. The first episode features Fujiko trapped in a James Bond-esque device and the villain starts groping her. Probably not exactly what the studio wanted when they started airing this series.

After that, the series kinda got his own face. Definitely see some ideas Miyazaki used later on in his own work. The episodes with the tomboy Rie and the seven bridges episode come to mind.

Main cast has a neat dynamic, I like Jigen the most. Although Lupin's laugh is very catchy and I just can't hate Fujiko. Inspector Zenigata is also very likeable. He needs Lupin to get away so the cat and mouse fight can continue forever. Goemon is the weird one of the bunch. His first appearance is as Lupin's rival and Fujiko gets to him by flirting. Later on he wants nothing to do with women and simply bails out. It just seems to me that his character suffers the most from the change in direction. Different Lupins make more sense to me.

I really liked this series and the green jacket Lupin. Immediately ordered The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and I think I'm due for a rewatch of The Castle of Cagliostro. I was wondering if animeGAF knows how many different jackets Lupin has. Where does Lupin wear the green jacket in? Any related media or other 70's anime I should be watching?

It sounds like what you're fed up with are typical fantasy/sci-fi light novel adaptations a la Sword Art Online or Asterisk War, and I can assure you that nothing on my list is akin to those types of works. But if you want works that are grounded in the real world and do not take place in high school I would revise my list to the following:

Anne of Green Gables (does involve school, but it's a one-room schoolhouse in Canada)
Aoi Bungaku: in particular, the No Longer Human and Run Melos stories
Bunny Drop
Emma: A Victorian Romance
Giovanni's Island
Gunslinger Girl (lightly science fiction in its premise, but that part is downplayed)
House of Five Leaves
Kaiji
Master Keaton
Miss Hokusai
Moyashimon
My Neighbors the Yamadas
One Outs
Run Melos (the 1992 film)
Shirobako
Shounen Hollywood
Tokyo Godfathers
When Marnie Was There

I've also included some films on this list.

Clov

I really liked this series and the green jacket Lupin. Immediately ordered The Woman Called Fujiko Mine and I think I'm due for a rewatch of The Castle of Cagliostro. I was wondering if animeGAF knows how many different jackets Lupin has. Where does Lupin wear the green jacket in? Any related media or other 70's anime I should be watching?

Lupin has the green jacket until the Part II series began in 1977 (Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, he has it in some other media even after Part II starts). As far as I know, there's green, red, (from series II, though this version of Lupin appears even after Part III) pink (from part III) and blue (from Part IV and Jigen's Gravestone).

Some other great 70s anime that I'd recommend would be The Rose of Versailles and Future Boy Conan. You also could check out Space Pirate Captain Harlock for some sci-fi!

Thud

Lupin has the green jacket until the Part II series began in 1977 (Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it, he has it in some other media even after Part II starts). As far as I know, there's green, red, (from series II, though this version of Lupin appears even after Part III) pink (from part III) and blue (from Part IV and Jigen's Gravestone).

Some other great 70s anime that I'd recommend would be The Rose of Versailles and Future Boy Conan. You also could check out Space Pirate Captain Harlock for some sci-fi!

Yeah he has a green jacket in the Mamo and Cagliostro movies. I guess the directors wanted to diverge from the current series.

Future Boy Conan is actually next on my list as I'm going through some pre-Ghibli stuff. I watched the Captain Harlock movie by Toei, didn't expect to see those graphics. So yeah I'm interested in the old Harlock stuff for a while. Rose of Versailles seems nice as well.

Thanks for the recommendations!

Fall 2016 gonna redeem themselves from Fall 2015 with lots of good shows.

I'm actually looking forward to watching the new Digimon with GAF lol.

manfestival

even if I hate the art direction that they chose for the berserk anime now... I LOVE THIS STORY

everything about it is so good. truly no holds barred

Cornbread78

Rewrite ep.9
That episode actually made sense and answered a ton of questions the show had been dodging up to this point. That was probably the best episode yet since it made sense and was well paced. Oh yeah, the comedy was pretty damn good as well.

Zukuu

Banned
4 episodes in and Log Horizon is boring me to death. Does it get better? It simply lacks everything. The characters didn't even shrug for a second when they got trapped in the game. The game isn't much a game at all, it's a generic fantasy world - a bad one at that. There are little to no game elements apart from "I have housekeeper subclass" wtf is that shit? The characters are ultra cliche and the "pervert, knee to face" jokes that gets repeated twice EVERY EPISODE is ultra cringe inducing.

Seriously, SWA season 1 was miles better than that, and even that is barely mediocre.

4 episodes in and Log Horizon is boring me to death. Does it get better? It simply lacks everything. The characters didn't even shrug for a second when they got trapped in the game. The game isn't much a game at all, it's a generic fantasy world - a bad one at that. There are little to no game elements apart from "I have housekeeper subclass" wtf is that shit? SWA season 1 was miles better than that, and even that is barely mediocre.

I dropped it too, although I did it way further ahead than you. If it hasn't done anything for you by now, I guess you can take my input and probably just drop it. Pretty sure this show is very lukewarm on here too, with only a few people telling you that enjoyed it from beginning to end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom