• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Screw C++. Java all the way.
Java game development
facepalm.gif

trejo

Oh I just saw the screens. Why, pray tell, do these game developer-chans all look like pre-teens?

Also will there be an arc where they get busted for lifting all their assets from the Unity store?

Cornbread78

Oh I just saw the screens. Why, pray tell, do these game developer-chans all look like pre-teens?

Also will there be an arc where they get busted for lifting all their assets from the Unity store?

Because it worked for Shirabako, so why not.

Soma: Second Plate - 01

Uff, as feared, they're rushing the content now. I liked how much time the show took beforehand so I'm really not happy about that. When you have a flashback to an event that you skipped but was important for the battle that kinda defeats the purpose of having that to begin with. It's nice to see a character apply knowledge he gained in an earlier scene that we witnessed. When you're just told about it, not so much.

What do you guys think?

Knowing my anime, anywhere between 12 and 45, and that's just the relatively 'normal' range.

Aki-at

I don't think I'd ever want to develop for a game. Java does the trick for the applications I make. Plus Android Development rocks, and you need Java for that.

Programming is like, the worst thing ever.

Why won't you move the block, WHY WON'T YOU MOVE THE BLOCK?!?

(One letter was off) Oh that makes perfect sense.

Hope there's plenty of this in New Game, might help me get back into the groove like Shirobako did with art.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Daily Life of Fundashi Boys

Would be better if it wasn't ugly and wasn't mildly homophobic.

Checking if there's any interest in having an AnimeGAF group trip to Japan next year.

We'll most likely be going sometime in week 12-13 so we can check out AnimeJapan 2017.

Going for 8-12 days. Half in Tokyo and then the rest in the Kansai (Kyoto/Osaka) region.

Estimated budget should be about $1000+flight cost if you want to only join us for the first half in Tokyo and about $2000+flight cost if you want to join in on the whole trip. This depends on what kind of accommodation we'll get.

You will need to confirm if you're going and order your own flight by late October 2016.

I will help out getting us an apartment, hostel and/or hotel for a cheap price.

Some of the things we could be checking out in Tokyo:
AnimeJapan 2017
Ghibli museum
Akihabara
Nakano Broadway
Odaiba (which has the giant Gundam statue and other stuff)
Other things you want to check out

Some of the things we could be checking out in Kansai region:
KyoAni Shop
Nipponbashi
Temples and shrines in Kyoto
Cherry blossom viewing and check out the deer in Nara
Other things you want to check out

Here's pictures from the Fall 2015 K-On GAF Japan trip we did (only the Tokyo part):
https://goo.gl/photos/qse3Yre9mQjqQdWE8

Oh, and we also met up with other people from GAF:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1108613

People who's shown interest:

Line_HTX
image.php

firehawk12
image.php

Thoraxes
image.php

PshycoNinja
image.php

Chet Rippo
image.php

Lee Chaolan
image.php

Theonik
image.php

kpjolee
image.php

zulux21
image.php

PM me here or on Twitter if you're interested.

-

Shirobako 7

Ema's crisis of doubt in her own ability to produce creative work at an acceptable level of quality is all too familiar. I think it's a rare artist who hasn't had depressing moments of self-reflection like that at one time or another.

jonjonaug

The Highschool Life of a Fudanshi: That encounter at the checkout booth basically happened to me at AX when I was going through Psycho-Pass and JoJo yaoi doujins. Pretty funny, but after talking to a friend of mine it looks like most of the rest of it is just standard 4koma slice of life jokes.

Rewrite: As a fan of Rewrite I liked this, but I can see why someone unfamiliar with it would not. That said, it honestly didn't leave much out from the first 4 or so hours of the visual novel that would be important, and after reading other people's impressions I'm a little sad that reviewers at ANN didn't try to read between the lines with Kotarou's character. I liked the original content, it looks like they really are going to do a combination of an original "Kagari" route and Moon like I thought they would. I doubt they'll cover Terra.

John Blade

Well...so many stuff happen here in this episode which is actually not bad in so many ways. I guess I will put my impression in this episode. NOTE: THIS WILL BE SPOILER SO, IF YOU NEVER WATCH THIS SHOW, DON'T READ MY POST.

Impression Note:

Liking this episode so far. The 1st few minutes of this episode give me a good foundation of what I will expect with the MC, Tomoya Okazaki. You know more about his personality of what he is which come down as someone who doesn't have a purpose of his life and don't really care about it and want to get it over with it.You found out why near the end of the episode which explain quite a bit of his personality. Literally, his dad look like a drunk guy and it might have cause from when his mother die in a car accident (also, you found out he gamble also). I guess this rift might be deep based on how he react from his dad at the end of the episode. Look like the death of his mom might have cause a major trauma which his dad can't come out from.

His best friend,Youhei Sunohara. I guess he is a joker type character which make sense as he always get into trouble (see football team incident and see Tomoyo Sakagami fight incident challenge). This is mostly cause by his mouth and saying stuff which doesn't help him at all. As someone best friend with Tomoya Okazaki, it's kinda odd but I guess because of what they're (from what I watch and heard) as someone who skip class and delinquent. Would like to know a bit more of why he become like Tomoya Okazaki.

An introduction of Ryou Fujibayashi is okay in this episode. Found out when she talk to
Tomoya Okazaki. She is someone who is shy and want to help people based on the talk she have with Tomoya Okazaki (she want him to come to class more often than not. Guess she is worry about him). Also, who can do fortune telling which you see when she do it for Tomoya Okazaki (and did predict it right a bit). Not much to start with her but would like to see where her character will go in this season and hope she will develop a bit more.

Her twin sister, Kyou Fujibayashi. A very aggressive lady I have to say and she doesn't like Tomoya Okazaki from the look of it when she introduce her (literally throw a book at him but miss). Bet she will be the one who Tomoya Okazaki will have a lot of argument with from the look of it and have a feeling they will be quite a bit of comedy scene between them.

Nagisa Furukawa is where you get more time in this episode. You found out she is a year older than the MC but have to stay back as she was sick and was in the hospital for a long period of time. This mean all of her friends have already graduate from school. She also like to eat some sort of cake which caught the attention of Tomoya Okazaki (which is odd). I kinda feel sad for her as she look like someone you want to be your friend not because she is interesting to talk to but someone who is fragile and need a friend as you don't know what will happen to her if she is alone in her life (based on impression when she come on the scene).

Her family is interesting to watch when MC meet up with them at the bakery shop. I can see where Nagisa Furukawa got her shyness and quiet personally from. Also, her family is a bit odd but in an interesting way. Would be interesting to see more of them and Nagisa as she is basically the female MC in the show in the 1st few minute of the opening scene. Also, they will be more discussion between her and the MC.

For Tomoyo Sakagami, she look like a strong female character and you can see this in two incidents where she take down the problem like it's not an issue. Also, she is someone who look like she will fight on someone who is causing problem in the area and maybe someone who might be a bit violence personality from the look of it. After the 2nd incidents, I have a feeling they won't be any friendship between her and the MC of the show even though he didn't start it.

Other thing I notice in the show, animation. It's actually have quite a few nice scene in this episode which mostly come down toward the backdrop scenery. Just look very good for its time. As for the character animation, it's okay but their eye is something odd to see but make sense based on when the show was made (those eye are big).

The scene in the bakery shop with MC talking to Nagisa's mother in not a positive tone of her bakery is interesting to see and also show another side of MC personality as someone who is very blunt. This doesn't look good for Nagisa's mother as she cry from it.

I didn't understand (might need to rewatch it once more) of a scene which look like a younger Nagisa in a room. Didn't catch that quickly but might be something important from the look of it.

That wipe which been use in this episode when going from one scene to another caught me off guard a bit as I didn't expect to see this on anime. You see this in those anime game on PC (or Hentai game if you're into those). Never expect to see it here and does feel odd when you watching it.

The ending part of this episode is something to look for as it look like it's something the MC want to go away from his problem and that scene at the end kinda giving him that chance he wanted to get.

Overall, quite a bit of stuff here to start with and I am now a bit interested to see where this will go now. Also, people you can post of what to say in this episode and maybe we can have a small discussion about this.

The Highschool Life of a Fudanshi: That encounter at the checkout booth basically happened to me at AX when I was going through Psycho-Pass and JoJo yaoi doujins. Pretty funny, but after talking to a friend of mine it looks like most of the rest of it is just standard 4koma slice of life jokes..

Surprised people do even at cons

Also what were the ships in the Psycho Pass djs. I hope Kagari had some. Kamui too.

trejo

Plz, no. Shirobako is actually worthwhile when it comes to workplace anime.

It's really good! Both as an insight into the anime industry and as an anime!

To be honest it's the insight into the anime industry part that scares me off the most, lol. It's like, I enjoy the steak but I have no desire in seeing what the slaughterhouse looks like on the inside, know what I mean?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
To be honest it's the insight into the anime industry part that scares me off the most, lol. It's like, I enjoy the steak but I have no desire in seeing what the slaughterhouse looks like on the inside, know what I mean?
It's such a vanilla look into anime production that there's nothing to be shocked about. If anything, imagine a slaughterhouse where the cows and pigs beg to be killed in order to make humans happy with their meat.

jonjonaug

Surprised people do even at cons

Also what were the ships in the Psycho Pass djs. I hope Kagari had some. Kamui too.

I think the only pairing I saw might have been Kogami x Gino, sadly there weren't a lot of them compared to other properties. There were a ton of Osomatsu and JoJo doujins that looked interesting though. I didn't have the time to look up quality (my AX schedule was PACKED, didn't even have time to check out restaurants like I did last time I went) and they were all like 4 times the amount they would have originally sold for at the least, so I didn't buy any even though a couple of them looked neat. At the end of the con I spent close to a thousand dollars on stuff so this was probably for the best. I'm going to go again next year and ask friends if they know any that are good and I'll probably pick those up.

In fudanshi adventures that did succeed: I met the artist for "No, Thank You!" and get my copy of the game signed, so that was cool. Apparently she also tweeted about this (meeting an enthusiastic fan of the game who loved Maki-chan). I also picked up NTY's artbook and went to the artist's panel which was best panel at AX hands down IMO.

Line_HTX

Uhh, what? I don't think it portrays it as dark as that.

Aki-at

It hits a note where by the end you'll wish you were a creator. I actually found it quite inspiring so I don't think that analogy works!

Cornbread78

It's such a vanilla look into anime production that there's nothing to be shocked about. If anything, imagine a slaughterhouse where the cows and pigs beg to be killed in order to make humans happy with their meat.

This is hilarious.. bravo.

Other thing I notice in the show, animation. It's actually have quite a few nice scene in this episode which mostly come down toward the backdrop scenery. Just look very good for its time. As for the character animation, it's okay but their eye is something odd to see but make sense based on when the show was made (those eye are big).

The scene in the bakery shop with MC talking to Nagisa's mother in not a positive tone of her bakery is interesting to see and also show another side of MC personality as someone who is very blunt. This doesn't look good for Nagisa's mother as she cry from it.

Nice, glad you giving one of the GOAT animes a watch.

I won't say much since you are going in blind and I don't want to spoil anything, but you will see a lot of these characters and really get to know them well.

The animation is really well dobe throughout and the show still has some beautiful svenes in comparisin to newer animation techniques.

Akio and Sanae are the best anime parents ever and play an important role throughout. They actually get some backstory later as well, which is amazing.

It's importance and meaning won't be clear until much much later.

This. Everything comes back with importance later in the show.

John Blade

This is hilarious.. bravo.

Noce, hlad you giving one of the GOAT animes a watch.

I won't say much since you are going in blind and I don't want to spoil anything, but you will see a lot of these characters and really get to know them well.

The animation is really well dobe throughout and the show still has some beautiful svenes in comparisin to newer animation techniques.

Akio and Sanae are the best anime parents ever and play an important role throughout. They actually get some backstory later as well, which is amazing.

This. Everything comes back with importance later in the show.

Well...you nag me for a while and it's one of the anime I need to get done this year (and 25 more anime's to go this year and maybe more if I can push through them quickly).

Also, I keep hearing the hype of the show and I kinda know what will happen in the 2nd season BUT don't spoil it too much as I want to basically see how good this show really is. I am hoping to finish S1 and maybe S2 this month asap so, going to be a rush through them a bit here. Hope it's worth the time for me to look into this .

Scar-red Rider Xechs 1

A new contender for worst show of the year, and easily the worst show I've seen this season. (Fucking Endride finally has some competition in the former category!) The kind of show that makes Taboo Tattoo seem like high art in comparison.

JulianImp

Bugs...lots of bugs.

Is aryan-chan supposed to be QA? If so, she'd never be doing actual debugging, which requires attaching a debugger to the game that monitors it and allows us programmers to access game code, set break points to monitor specific parts of it and all that. QA would probably be limited to documenting the bug, whether it can be reproduced reliably (and how), and all that. Go make me a bug ticket and we'll look at the list so that we can solve them in order of severity and priority towards our next milestone.

Then again, from what you guys have been talking it sounds like it isn't much more than some excuse plot for cute girls stuff with yuri undertones (and it even comes from a 4-koma series?), so there isn't much to be expected from such a show in regards to actually giving its audience a glance of the world of game development.

gargles

New Game! - 1

Can't wait to reach the programming part. Let the bugs and debug bring despair to those girls!... nah. Cute girls developing games. Think it can be kept like that.

(that reminds me... I need to start Shirobako someday)

sonicmj1

Well...so many stuff happen here in this episode which is actually not bad in so many ways. I guess I will put my impression in this episode. NOTE: THIS WILL BE SPOILER SO, IF YOU NEVER WATCH THIS SHOW, DON'T READ MY POST.

--

That wipe which been use in this episode when going from one scene to another caught me off guard a bit as I didn't expect to see this on anime. You see this in those anime game on PC (or Hentai game if you're into those). Never expect to see it here and does feel odd when you watching it.

--

Overall, quite a bit of stuff here to start with and I am now a bit interested to see where this will go now. Also, people you can post of what to say in this episode and maybe we can have a small discussion about this.

Clannad wears its visual novel roots on its sleeve at times, as those scene transitions show. It does something else which you'll see a few times later which is about as explicitly gamey as you can get. Those obvious visual novel trappings almost serve to highlight how much of the show's structure itself comes from the source visual novel. You'll see what that structure looks like as the show progresses.

Anyway, you'll see more about the characters as you go. All the people I find most offensive aren't introduced in the first episode.

Cornbread78

Well...you nag me for a while and it's one of the anime I need to get done this year (and 25 more anime's to go this year and maybe more if I can push through them quickly).

Also, I keep hearing the hype of the show and I kinda know what will happen in the 2nd season BUT don't spoil it too much as I want to basically see how good this show really is. I am hoping to finish S1 and maybe S2 this month asap so, going to be a rush through them a bit here. Hope it's worth the time for me to look into this .

Nice, I'm looking forward to your impressions on how they crafted he story through the end.

You probably already know, but the show also has one of the best (if not the best) OSTs ever made... Even tjose dongs all have dynamic naming and are well integrated into the story.

trejo

Today I learned that some of you take analogies too literally, lol.

Or alternatively, that I really suck at analogies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Today I learned that some of you take analogies too literally, lol.

Or alternatively, that I really suck at analogies.
Well, if you are afraid that Shirobako is some kind of exposè, you really have nothing to worry about. It's not a 30 for 30 documentary about animators manipulating race relations in America in order to get away with murdering their wives.

John Blade

NOTE: THIS WILL BE SPOILER SO, IF YOU NEVER WATCH THIS SHOW, DON'T READ MY POST.

Well...the ending of the last episode where Nagisa say about going somewhere, look like she just saying this as like to act. Um...kinda an interesting way to start. So, let's see of what I think.

Impression Note:

That scene where you see yourself in the room with a younger Nagisa....well, it's back but this time you see the little girl putting metal object in a bucket and somehow turn into some sort of a robot. Still, don't know what it mean but seeing this scene now twice, it now become an important scene to remember. Still don't know the meaning about it except of what they say about it.

Look like Kyou got a bike but don't have the understand of how to control it as she almost injured Tomoya from an accident. This incident will come up later when Tomoya tell her younger sister about the incident but stop by her (by throwing a book directly at him) by literally telling him to shut up as it's against the rule to ride a bike to school (they is a rule of that?). Well, we all know what will happen if you tell someone not to say anything. Tomoya basically say Kyou is bisexual to the whole class. Well...that didn't end well. A fun skirt I have to say and like what happen next when Kyou want to punch him for this issue. I guess they will be more of this fun stuff in the coming episode.

I don't understand why Youhei want to keep on challenging for a fight with Tomoyo. She just come into the school and he saw her fight and now he want to challenge her for a fight? Where the common sense of this (except as a comical scene to slap in this episode). Well, what we got is one of the best fight scene in the show right now.
96e55485223b6b41248b99e8563f1f88af506a24_hq.gif

(Not from this episode but you got the idea).
Love the end of the fight and see that he will still challenge her even though he got destroy from it. Also, he start a club which is consist of challenge Tomoyo in a fight. I am guessing they might be some sort of a crush between him and Tomoyo later on the show based on this incident but for now, we need more fight between them as comedy relieve.

Got a new character, Kotomi, who don't come to class and stay the library to cut books for some reason. From what I can gather, she is actually smart but for some reason she don't come to class and stay in the library. I am guessing she want to read more books but don't know why she is cutting the book. Can't say much except she is a bit odd in a quiet way. Will have to see more of her before I can say much of her.

Another new character is introduced in this episode, Fuuko Ibuki and I have one word you can say of her and it's CUTE. Other than that, she isn't the smartest girl based on what happen between her and MC. Still, you can't really hate her when you see her in that look. Also, she like to crave starfish from wood. An odd hobby I have to say but guess it might be something important from that (or she like starfish).
giphy.gif

For Nagisa, you start to see her dream of getting the drama club back up which might be joyful for her but at the same time you start to know a bit of her personality. You start to notice she isn't a typical leader type characters as she sometime wonder her decision (notice this when trying to start up the club). Also, she isn't into recent stuff based on how the MC say to her of the song she sing (old music?). Either way, I kinda like the song. Also, what's with food she keep shouting? It's like she use this as a way of a reward for her to complete stuff. An odd way but I guess it's fine for her from the look of it (you think of something better like money but oh well).

The development between her and the MC is interesting to watch as you start to see Tomoya want to help out Nagisa for her dream to start up the Drama club to the point he start to make Dango fake candy for her. Unfortunately, you got to see the tension with his father and him. You found out why at the end when he found Nagisa at the basketball court and she want him to play basketball for her just to see. It's kinda depressing to watch when this one incident have cause the massive rift between them and also cause the MC the change to ever play basketball from this incident. Also, Nagisa isn't the strongest girl in health and you can see this at the end when she basically faint from the rain and cold. NOTE: don't got out in the rain without an umbrella.

Overall, an okay episode. Got to introduce two more new characters and more comedic scene which is fun to watch. I am a bit worry of how many female characters in this show now and we're just in 2nd episode. I bet they will be more later. Also, it doesn't look like the story is moving much. I guess I want to see some more development between Nagisa and Tomoya but for now, it's just some random stuff and intro of new people. I guess it will get more interesting now that they is a situation which we can see how the MC will react from it.

Shirobako 8

I continue to be impressed at how swiftly this show can flesh out characters. Aoi's sister's situation was effectively conveyed without anyone needing to spell it out to us through the visual and behavioral contrast between her flashbacks to her drab bank job and her exuberant sightseeing around Tokyo. I'm also really liking Sugie. He handled the situation with Ema very well through a sage deployment of elderly wisdom. Of course, it helps that these characters have been introduced in the background before they came to play a more active role in the narrative - Aoi's sister through a phone conversation with her parents, and Sugie as a diligent but somewhat solitary animator in the background. It's smart planning that helps to create a believable network of people.

I gather that some people are disappointed that this show isn't a more cynical and bitter look at the animation industry, and Tsutomu Mizushima would certainly be capable of something along those lines considering the current of black humor that runs through much of his work. But I appreciate that it balances the struggles of the work with the creative inspiration that keeps people motivated to work. It's neither blindly idealistic nor unrelentingly cruel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom