• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gvitor

Baby Steps S2 01-06

Welcome to Florida, where everybody speaks japanese and not a single person speaks english.

And I'll say it again: the OP in this is fantastic. I love how it opens with a montage of everyone serving, rethreads the notes Maruo takes, then calms down with his scenes with Natsu and in the same moment it gears back up in the 1st OP, it does in this one as well, with his match against Takuma followed by a bunch of others in rapidfire. So gud. They took inspiration in everything that made the OP1's visuals great and tuned it up to 11.

Cheer Boys!! Episode 1
Cmm-tKUWAAA2p0T.jpg:small
CmnHy1qXYAAozQ_.jpg:small

Super high friendship levels with Kazu and Haru makes this a must must watch.

But beyond that I like the University setting which helps this feel a bit fresher than high school club anime. Additionally Sparks cheerleading scene was pretty good. Even the potential rival moment was kind of inspiring for Haru.
CmnF_yQW8AAWgIR.jpg:small
CmnHBAXWcAI-6Qc.jpg:small

Kazu is best design, I cant wait to see where we go from here, and more embarassing scenes please.

The ost is really good.

Just T

Rewrite: 1

Well that was very boring, failed attempt at humor and can't say I'm intrigued by one character so far. And the scene transitions in this were awful.

Servamp Episode 1

OLDCODEX delivers another awesome OP song. Must hear. The ED charasong is also awesome too and Mahiru's dancing is the best.

Pretty epic episode 1, hearing a lazy Yuki Kaji is a nice change for him and hes perfect for Kuro. Action and comedy are nicely matched too.

JulianImp

Rewrite: 1

Well that was very boring, failed attempt at humor and can't say I'm intrigued by one character so far. And the scene transitions in this were awful.

As if the awful transitions weren't bad enough, the other red flag for me was how the MC just kept meeting more and more and more little girls, which is obviously setting him up for some generic harem hijinx.

Also, the ghost chibi Lisa Lisa scenes seemed straight out of TLR:D.

The Highschool Life of a Fudanshi Episode 1 – The Daily Life of a Fudanshi High School Student

Just as hilarious at times like the manga. Doesnt really do anything different, but at least its voiced.

Should be longer than 3 minutes.

zulux21

Hm... Don't think I've seen a lot of that. What shows have that happened in then?

baka test had it
i think negima had it.

there are quite a few shows, but the vast majority of them are harem shows that have kind of just blurred together in my head as I don't pay much attention to them while watching them in the background >.<:

blurr

I just want to mention that while i like New Game source material, it won't be another Shirobako unless the studio changes a lot of things. There will be trivia and info regarding video games work places, but it's more of an office comedy. Not to mention the art is moe as fuck, so it's probably not for everyone. There will be fanservice and a bit of yuri undertone (and belly button), so there's that.

Yea, I've been told that. It sounds more like Sore ga Seiyuu now.

Cornbread78

ReZero ep.14

OMFG... That closing scene... WTF just happened? I knew this got dark, but damn, that was a huge jump in despair and pain right there! It's hard to guage whether Subaru's decisions are right or wrong as this point since everything is so fucked regardless..

Just T

As if the awful transitions weren't bad enough, the other red flag for me was how the MC just kept meeting more and more and more little girls, which is obviously setting him up for some generic harem hijinx.

Also, the ghost chibi Lisa Lisa scenes seemed straight out of TLR:D.
Sigh, will see how the next episode goes but this was not a good first impression.

Here is my full AX haul minus some folded up posters and a Senjougahara wall scroll of her in the Winter getup with snow

Yes that Rachnera item is exactly what you think it is. At some point I stopped giving a shit. Somewhere around $540 dollars. More then 1/4th of that was just the Bakemonogatari blu-ray set. I should have never watched this show.

Here is my full AX haul minus some folded up posters and a Senjougahara wall scroll of her in the Winter getup with snow

Yes that Rachnera item is exactly what you think it is. At some point I stopped giving a shit. Somewhere around $540 dollars. More then 1/4th of that was just the Bakemonogatari blu-ray set. I should have never watched this show.

AX is expensive, more than a $1000 trip?

Jex

u have a disease, friend

Line_HTX

How to make food.

Step 1: heat water.
Step 2: open ramen package and drop in block of noodles.
Step 3: crack a single egg into the pot, this is important as this is what makes it gourmet food.
step 4: add seasoning packet, let sit for a few minutes.
Step 5: enjoy food that can even make gods of destruction want more.

Deconstruct the ramen.

JulianImp

Sigh, will see how the next episode goes but this was not a good first impression.

The worst part is that it was a double-length episode, and yet failed to introduce the characters, the setting or what the hell was going on, all while it just presented questions to us with not a single explanation in sight. The MC supposedly has some special ability he still hasn't shown us, got stabbed through his heart by chibi Lisa in the past/a vision, answered whether he wanted to change himself or the world offscreen, and met someone who might be able to explain what the hell's going on to both him and the audience... but of course they're saving that part for the next episode.

Like, what the hell... it was one of the most wasteful double-parters I've seen in anime so far. Even Fate:UBW managed to fill us in on the master/servant system, showed us some cool action with the archer/lancer battle and even introduced Rin's mysterious red pendant, while Re:Zero managed to introduce its world, build its characters and show that its premise had some potential by the end of the second part. Menawhile, ReWrite was just a mess of overused anime tropes stitched together with the grace of a one-handed butcher.

Sterok

Taboo Tattoo 1

A very slim season for me, so good word of mouth is going to be important for me. As others have said, it's kind oh meh, but fights are good so it's probably worth checking out for at least another episode or two.

phaze

I'm dangerously close to watching the entirety of Captain Earth ...

... just to see if Enokido ever managed to write something that for once in like 20 years and I guess in his entire career, wouldn't be just his usual riff on the themes of youth and adolescence.

-----

also, please ban me if I ever post any kind of bought anime merchandise. Various kinds of artbooks/genga and its ilk being excepted.

Cornbread78

Amaama to Inazuma ep.1
Oh my, that was amazing. Such a great tone to the first episode, even though tgat little girl almost broke my heart when she was hugging the TV and talking about her mom making them food again. Sooo mych cuteness and sweetness in there. I need to make rice with dinner now..

Mandelbo

The Amaama to Inazuma twitter account just retweeted this:

CmmYOocVMAAbNNr.jpg:orig

One of the most unintentionally weird shirts I've seen in a while...

John Blade

A promise is a promise. Watching Clannad Ep 1 right now. Will post an impression of the show soon when I finish it today. The 1st 5 min give me a good impression of what I am getting myself into.

Line_HTX

Damn, you bought so much Senjougahara and Mika.

It's safe to say you live with a spider now, lmao

JulianImp

I found two other Hitagi things I bought and forgot about it. I fell for the waifu meme. Time to listen to Staple Stable on loop

I only got her nendo and a keychain of her wearing winter clothes (so good), but I might end up caving in and buying the statue of her in her winter outfit if I can find it for less than the 8K yen I've seen it go for new.

Wanderer5

Sheesh. The exhibit hall can be a dangerous place.:p

Just T

The worst part is that it was a double-length episode, and yet failed to introduce the characters, the setting or what the hell was going on, all while it just presented questions to us with not a single explanation in sight. The MC supposedly has some special ability he still hasn't shown us, got stabbed through his heart by chibi Lisa in the past/a vision, answered whether he wanted to change himself or the world offscreen, and met someone who might be able to explain what the hell's going on to both him and the audience... but of course they're saving that part for the next episode.

Like, what the hell... it was one of the most wasteful double-parters I've seen in anime so far. Even Fate:UBW managed to fill us in on the master/servant system, showed us some cool action with the archer/lancer battle and even introduced Rin's mysterious red pendant, while Re:Zero managed to introduce its world, build its characters and show that its premise had some potential by the end of the second part. Menawhile, ReWrite was just a mess of overused anime tropes stitched together with the grace of a one-handed butcher.
Yeah it didn't do much explaining. I mean it didn't need some long drawn out explanation to start off with but I wanted it to feel a bit more cohesive instead of all over the place.

blurr

New Game 01

When I got my job I felt dreams do come true but I was so wrong because when you look at Aoba she is truly getting to live her dream: working and mentored by the very people whose work inspired her and all she knows is how to draw, she's not even been to college. To some degree this was relateable and reminiscent of my first day at work - the coyness and nervousness in particular. It had a few laughs here and there but little to say on grounds of work related trivia apart from the dread of "crunch time".

I do have to admit, it got the director character right, as an associate designer/director -
we "aren't that important" ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯

I'm placing my bets that the person who threatened the director is the Producer or at least the assistant director.

I really like the character animation, it seems to be done really well, someone with a more keen eye for it would be able to identify its finesse precisely and the show itself looks great in general.

Overall this was a good first episode and I didn't even notice when the episode came to an end. A lot of the characters seem interesting and full of personality. That being said I'm not entirely confident it is going to be consistently fun but I've got the gamedev environment to look forward to at least.

Holy shit that Hifumi girl is ME at work.

Scar-red Rider XechS Episode 1 RYUKYU Calling
CmnwZd9WYAELakj.jpg:small
Cmnx0AyW8AApvLi.jpg:small

Yes this was a fantastic take on the boys transform into heroes idea. All the cast so far is great with Hiro played by Hiro Shimono taking my favorite spot in the episode followed by the main lead Yusuke
great guitar, great design, and finally he can actually transform, even if it took the whole episode and nearly dying

The femchar instructor is an interesting role but she kind of went invisible for the rest of the episode and I dont remember seeing her in KENN's fantasticly sung ED song or even the OP beyond the pose scene of everyone in the anime.

Favorite action anime of the season thus far.

Cornbread78

Taboo Taboo ep.1
This wasn't nearly as trashy as I thought it would be. The premise is interesting, the personalities could be interesting and the action looks like it could be pretty good. Hopefully we get some gnarly Engrish out of it at least.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They're just eating rice, jesus. This isn't a cooking anime, this is a Feeding Yourself 101 anime.

It's not even scorched rice, and there aren't any toppings!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Scared Rider Xechs Episode 1:

Why did I watch this? This feels like some nash from the early 2000s climbed into a time machine and managed to congeal into this pile of generic action and hideous fashion sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom