• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Wow, I dunno what show you're both talking about but absolutely and preemptively dropped.

It's a smile you will want to protect..

hqdefault.jpg

They're just eating rice, jesus. This isn't a cooking anime, this is a Feeding Yourself 101 anime.

It's not even scorched rice, and there aren't any toppings!

No kidding, his wife must've been a terrible cook if that's all it takes to elicit praise from them.

They're just eating rice, jesus. This isn't a cooking anime, this is a Feeding Yourself 101 anime.

It's not even scorched rice, and there aren't any toppings!

Hah hah, I thought the same. "wait, where is the rest? With what are they going to eat the rice?" "are they really that happy for plain white rice??"

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Why so harsh? It was one of the strongest ep1 of the season.

I am harsh because I didn't like this malformed piece of styrofoam being passed as an action show in any regard and have chosen to display the vehemence of my reactions in the written form as a warning to others in the hopes that they may not waste their vital picoseconds of time on this work.

phaze

I am harsh because I didn't like this malformed piece of styrofoam being passed as an action show in any regard and have chosen to display the vehemence of my reactions in the written form as a warning to others in the hopes that they may not waste their vital picoseconds of time on this work.

Let it be known that your picturesque warning has indeed been heard and heeded.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
New Game! Episode 1:

Yea, I don't think this is going to be a show on the quality level of Shirobako but that is a VERY lofty bar of quality. That being said, I am really wanting this to be a good series because anything that takes place outside of high school and/or doesn't star some bland plank of wood Marty Stu Otaku NEET is like mana from heaven in terms of premise. Also, we kind of need a show like this going into the larger meta-textual concerns surrounding the video game industry provided it doesn't fall flat on its face and devolve into complete trash. To wit, this is a game development team staffed completely by women and that could be genuine inspiration in the real world which such representation is an issue for various reasons or it could just end up being another disposable cute girls doing cute girls affair. I suppose the overall point here is anime and indeed by extension manga is only of the only mediums that would dare pull this off without batting an eye and I want to support that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
New Game

> all the devs are moe girls
> no daily scrums
> not using slack
> cat in studio
> doesn't know maya
> where are the coders
> no Circle Anix cameo

Taruranto

I'm only watching this because Battery hasn't aired yet #1

Gay.

Super gay.

You get it.

This was actually pretty decent, despite looking like a low-effort fujo anime, it was actually pretty energetic and therefor entertaining (....low-effort fujo anime). Problem is, it doesn't look pretty great budget-wise (Preview was already kinda QUALITY in some shots), which seems required for an anime of this kind.

It also has what could only be described as "Rei for Free only voiced by Sugita"

Haly

I hope New Game does a swerve and Fairy Stories turns out to be an adult VN. I mean they have to have all those artists for a reason.

jman2050

Game devs don't even need coders anymore, they can just use mediocre plug and play engines and generic scripting to do everything!

Haly

I thought so as well but they have a team of CG artists so at the very least they're using Unity or UE4.

Who the hell hires a high school grad and gives them a Maya textbook on their first day anyway, and where can I apply???

I read a little bit of the New Game manga a few months back and enjoyed it, but I decided to stop reading and just wait for the anime. First episode was good, pretty much your typical "cute girls doing cute things" anime, but that's not a bad thing per say, or a least it isn't for me anyways.

Line_HTX

I hope New Game does a swerve and Fairy Stories turns out to be an adult VN. I mean they have to have all those artists for a reason.

Pfft. Why look for that in New Game when you can go watch
Eroge!
instead?

Don't look it up and strongly NOT recommended.

Haly

It's a smile you will want to feed

Yeah I guess.
I read a little bit of the New Game manga a few months back and enjoyed it, but I decided to stop reading and just wait for the anime. First episode was good, pretty much your typical "cute girls doing cute things" anime, but that's not a bad thing per say, or a least it isn't for me anyways.

Is it mostly cute girls x cute things or is there some genuine insight into Japanese game development?

Lautaro

Game devs don't even need coders anymore, they can just use mediocre plug and play engines and generic scripting to do everything!

Only if your game is not ambitious. For anything more complex than a generic RPG Maker or VN game you will need at least one coder.

Yeah I guess.

Is it mostly cute girls x cute things or is there some genuine insight into Japanese game development?

Honestly didn't read too much of it, only like 10 chapters, but in those first 10 there wasn't much insight into Japanese game development, the majority of it really is just cute girls x cute things.

I'm only watching this because Battery hasn't aired yet #1

Gay.

Super gay.

You get it.

This was actually pretty decent, despite looking like a low-effort fujo anime, it was actually pretty energetic and therefor entertaining (....low-effort fujo anime). Problem is, it doesn't look pretty great budget-wise (Preview was already kinda QUALITY in some shots), which seems required for an anime of this kind.

It also has what could only be described as "Rei for Free only voiced by Sugita"

All those Kazu smiles.

Haly

If brown isn't coding to the metal in C++ I will RIOT.

Eumi

And suddenly out of nowhere they realised that Erina's actually supposed to be a great cook. This is the first time we've actually seen it and it basically fixes her whole character. Suddenly Yukihira has an actual challenge and a goal to work towards.

I also love how he's slowly gaining what basically amounts to a harem of rivals. I really like how there's a clear disconnect between his rivals and his friends, and these new black and white cooks introduced in this episode look to be another great addition to the cast.

Mandelbo

New Game 01

It was funnier than I thought it would be, although I did roll my eyes when Yagami was introduced via a panty shot. They seemed to hint that they'd enter crunch time later on, but I still doubt this is gonna be anything other than cute girls doing cute things. Will watch next week.

Oh yeah it had quite good animation too!

MSMrRound

New Game 01

It's a project by Doga Kobo? That probably explains the fun animation. Knew nothing much going into the first episode, but quality of animation seems to suit my taste very well.

Will definitely be keeping up with this series.

sonicmj1

New Game 1

It's a Dogakobo show in their basic wheelhouse. That means this episode was a low-stakes comedy about cute girls being cute and awkward and doing funny things. There's a somewhat provocative camera and light yuri shipping for the otaku, as well as surprisingly expressive and energetic animation. So far, it has very little to do with actually working at a game company, though there are some fun jokes about being new at a job.

You probably already know if you want this. It's working for me right now because I'm bored and not a lot is airing yet.

I also want to find the game company that will hire someone with no 3D experience out of high school to make 3D models.

Taruranto

Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu #1

Short anime is imo the best format for comedy anime, since they tend to overstay their welcome more often than not.

This said, the premise seems to be a case "have your cake and eat it too" and the first episode wasn't particularly funny. 3 minutes are also too few to make an impact. I'll stick around probably though, if anything the cast seems to be diverse enough to be entertaining.

Haly

Man just look at how much volume Smalltalk-chan's hair has.

SO much volume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom