• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thud

Tangentially related to anime - The Attack on Titan manga has reached the basement. No bullshit, they're there. S2 ending spot confirmed!!!!

Maybe a good moment to catch up on the manga for me.

The hype surrounding this series has been so weird imo. Went from nobody giving a rat's ass about it to everybody thinking it's the greatest thing of all time. It's not.

Thoraxes

Edit: Looking over the press release again, Crunchyroll had already started work on several titles prior to the agreement. I think it's likely that the discs will be authored by them or an outside company, and manufactured wherever Funimation does their titles. Think of how Warner distributes for Viz.

I hope they author the releases themselves (so maybe there could be a chance?), because I don't really want more sub-par encodes on the market. Everyone is better off just streaming those titles.

Cornbread78

Code Geass ep.15
code-geass-lelouch-of-the-rebellion-episode-15.jpg
Poor Mao, he was just a young boy in love, lol. Also, so how do these contracts work anyway? They never even said what the first one with C.C. was, but now they made another one? Explain it you damn anime..

Clov

I hope they author the releases themselves (so maybe there could be a chance?), because I don't really want more sub-par encodes on the market. Everyone is better off just streaming those titles.

It could just be their initial batch of titles that gets authored by themselves/another company, while Funimation handles everything announced after their agreement. Who knows, at this point. I'm also hoping that someone else makes the discs.

Thoraxes

It could just be their initial batch of titles that gets authored by themselves/another company, while Funimation handles everything announced after their agreement. Who knows, at this point. I'm also hoping that someone else makes the discs.

When I think about a release like Kabaneri and the dark levels/banding issues that would come with a Funi encode... Yeah.

It'll be interesting to see where it goes. At any rate i'm still going to buy a couple of their initial releases to gauge quality/bitrates/IQ, because it's also possible that they could get different encodes based on the company that did each series in Japan too... if we're lucky.

I know not a lot of people care about the enthusiast level of detail, but i've found myself down that deep rabbit hole as of recent.

Gvitor

UDG didn't go hard enough with the kids being the villains aspect like it could've. It wimps out on it. It also introduces non-Ultimates as being faceless mobs, which thematically makes sense but it kind of makes it all less horrifying. Take this Despair episode for example, when one of them takes a hacksaw to their own throat for despair. Maybe that's supposed to be the point and i can drum it up to artistic intent but I don't really like it.

(...)

I also don't think The Tragedy was supposed to really be detailed in how it went down, and that it wasn't really meant to be taken super seriously because it didn't have a whole lot to do with the conflict on the inside. [/SPOILER]

I didn't read your last spoiler because it felt like something from this latest episode and I'll still watch it.

As for the bolded, I disagree. You can't have stuff like (DR2)
Nagito with Junko's arm and tell me that's serious and then have the sphinx with the monokuma head and tell me it's not. It either is a serious thing or it isn't, there's no middle ground. The sphinx thing, however, is up for some interpretation. The monokuma, while serving as comical relief, serves as double-purpose narrative choice to tell you "that thing's fucked up. How it's fucked up, it's up to you", whereas the arm just blatantly tells you "that thing's fucked up. That is how it's fucked up. Believe it."

And yes, the kids suck. It's supposed to be a dark thing, kids "killing" their parents, but it falls really really short because it's simply unbelievable in that scale and the way they present it.

I think by not having the class trial, murdering and pacing of a 20+ hour game the anime loses out on a lot of how Danganronpa's writing ends up working.

That's true. I'd be way less harsh on DR3 if it was a game. It could've paced itself better and delivered actual mistery and intrigue through the gameplay. In the anime, there is no mistery and intrigue because you're not thinking or interacting with the mistery, you're watching Dragon Ball Z with robots and every couple of episode being spoon-fed some puzzle.

Clov

When I think about a release like Kabaneri and the dark levels/banding issues that would come with a Funi encode... Yeah.

It'll be interesting to see where it goes. At any rate i'm still going to buy a couple of their initial releases to gauge quality/bitrates/IQ, because it's also possible that they could get different encodes based on the company that did each series in Japan too... if we're lucky.

I know not a lot of people care about the enthusiast level of detail, but i've found myself down that deep rabbit hole as of recent.

It's a big toss-up right now. We're just going to have to wait for Crunchyroll's first batch of releases and see how they end up. I'm hoping for the best!

Danganronpa 3 Despair Arc - 09

Kodaka has to be sending us a subliminal message right?

I think that's definitely intentional. Not that it really amounts to anything, but I'm sure it was on purpose.

I'm getting a really bad vibe from that scene, though. Makes me quite worried for the next Future Arc episode.
I'm worried that Ryota isn't going to make it past the next one. I get the impression that he's going to die trying to redeem himself for his part in what happened in the Despair Arc. I really hope not, but all my favorite characters in the other games died, and I'm lucky to have gotten this far in the anime without my new favorite dying on me...

Cornbread78

Code Geass ep.16
Mao, could you possibly be a bigger piece of shit than Lelouch? Poor little girl. You deserved what you got shithead; she was tol cute to be subjected to your games, well, and she is the only sane character...

MCD

Crunchyroll + Funimation is best news ever. Finally I can watch Funi without being a thief or using VPN.

Cornbread78

Art Room Problem ep.10
Can we just off Colette somehow? She's bringing the show down and ruining any chance of a ship happening. First couple skits were decent, but I gate Imari as much as Colette..

Celcius

°Temp. member
Anyone else having issues with CrunchyRoll freezing today? I'm going through "NEW GAME!" (enjoying it by the way) but today videos on the site keep freezing up for me. I've already tried switching browser and video card drivers :(

Tangentially related to anime - The Attack on Titan manga has reached the basement. No bullshit, they're there. S2 ending spot confirmed!!!!

So assuming they end it there instead of when
Rod Reiss is dealt with.
How many volumes would they cover? Regardless, since there's more ground to cover, the pacing will likely be a lot better than season 1.

Line_HTX

Cornbread has to have a craving of pizza hut pizza at some point

I'm not ashamed to admit it, I ordered Pizza Hut a few times including the R2 finale.

:p

Crunchyroll + Funimation is best news ever. Finally I can watch Funi without being a thief or using VPN.

Crunchyroll ‏@Crunchyroll 3h3 hours ago

Hime, Hime! Did you hear? We're going to be working together from now on!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well for me it still tends to be a brand that more than any other will mean I will probably like a show. Its not 100%, but its way ahead of others.
See, for me the block has lost its identity at this point. I don't think I've even thought about what shows were in the block in the last couple of years.

Don't worry Saekano S2 is coming soon enough.
Oh fuck, speaking of forgetting noitamina shows. :(

You say that, but I did sub on Netflix only for their exclusive anime. Seven deadly Sins, Ajin and Knights of Sidonia. Now they better dub Kurakumo and Magi soon!
Really? Just for a month? For me, Sidonia was more an accident than anything else. When I want to watch anime anyway, Netflix isn't the first place I think of going to.

What the fuck? Really?
So what's in the hatch? A machine where Eren has to enter a series of numbers or the whole world explodes?

Quasar

See, for me the block has lost its identity at this point. I don't think I've even thought about what shows were in the block in the last couple of years.

Oh I don't disagree. Its past of being the place for I guess josei and other niche things is gone, just that it still tends to have shows I'm much more likely to like than almost any single studio.

jonjonaug

The best part about DR1 is that you never got any real info about exactly how the world became so fucked up and the best part about DR2 is that you never got any real info about how
the main characters became Ultimate Despair
. Because that wasn't important and for all of the endgame infodumping that occurs in both of the games, the script is still content to leave stuff to the imagination that should be left to the imagination.

With DR3 Kodaka's falling into the classic young adult novel trap of creating a setting with a bunch of gaps in it, then trying to fill them in later. Because no matter what you do you're always going to end up with readers who had come up with their own answers that they thought were more interesting.

Kodaka has to be sending us a subliminal message right?

Anime was a mistake.

Line_HTX

Re:Zero 16

Roger Smith: "Negotiating requires good faith. In this case, it was lacking on both sides."

Re:Zero 17

Damn, that was a double whammy on both what the White Whale does and the
Unseen Hands.
Now we finally know what they are, but is still secretive on the Cult itself.

zulux21

Terror by Resonance 01

Kind of ballsy to open a show like that in this day and age.

Still intrigued to see where it goes, I like the cast.

I could give you Five reasons you will ultimately be disappointed with the show
but you really will just need the one and you will figure out why when you get to it :p

seriously though I hope you enjoy it.... but it's near the top of my most disappointing anime of all time list :/

zulux21

From the man who brought you Cowboy Bebop comes

disappointment: the anime

Watch it in japanese with engrish dub

really you could make a great movie out of the series.
it's just
everything else... BLEH!

I still don't get why we had to go with five overriding the police and just taking control of stuff by doing absolutely illegal things instead of just going with the far better fit of her being a third party that the police don't know about :/ it might have been okay that way. I mean if you wanted to go down a the police are corrupt and can be bought off route that is fine, but there should have been a lot more conflict about it. it was just really poorly done :(

sonicmj1

Terror by Resonance 01

Kind of ballsy to open a show like that in this day and age.

Still intrigued to see where it goes, I like the cast.

Show has some incredible highs because it's still directed by one of the best in the business, and the soundtrack is about as good as it gets. I think I put it in my top 10 the year it came out.

But fuck, the plotting gets so bad later on. Totally sabotages all the intrigue built in the first four or five episodes.

Like God Eater, it's proof that a great director can only take you so far if you're working from a garbage script.

I'm playing through God Eater 2 and I seriously have to take breaks because I still can't get over kids dressed like that swinging giant weapons and fighting monsters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh I don't disagree. Its past of being the place for I guess josei and other niche things is gone, just that it still tends to have shows I'm much more likely to like than almost any single studio.
Well, I assume Fuji TV via the block is part of the production committees of all the shows they air, and their new mandate is to try to chase for otaku bucks as much as possible. lol

So the Funi/CR partnership is north America only? Fuck because the FuniNOW player is true garbage tier and if it wasn't for Zestiria and that Key show this season I'd have dropped that sub already. Ugh oh well here's to another season at least of random audio desyncs and pauses

Quasar

Well, I assume Fuji TV via the block is part of the production committees of all the shows they air, and their new mandate is to try to chase for otaku bucks as much as possible. lol

There is a little of that certainly. The Battery seems like a return to more nichey content though.

Quasar

So the Funi/CR partnership is north America only? Fuck because the FuniNOW player is true garbage tier and if it wasn't for Zestiria and that Key show this season I'd have dropped that sub already. Ugh oh well here's to another season at least of random audio desyncs and pauses

Not totally. Some shows are available to some other regions. At least based on what CR posted. Australia seems excluded, I assume because Funi sub licenses lots of stuff to animelab.

duckroll

Show has some incredible highs because it's still directed by one of the best in the business, and the soundtrack is about as good as it gets. I think I put it in my top 10 the year it came out.

But fuck, the plotting gets so bad later on. Totally sabotages all the intrigue built in the first four or five episodes.

Like God Eater, it's proof that a great director can only take you so far if you're working from a garbage script.

And like God Eater it also proves that great directors sometimes aren't great writers!

Although I guess Watanabe at least has the excuse that he picked bad writers to execute his story idea. Hirao just went all in himself.

Thud

From the man who brought you Cowboy Bebop comes

disappointment: the anime

Watch it in japanese with engrish dub

It's garbage yeah. Knew it after the first episode. I kept watching because it was Watanabe.

In hindsight the OP kinda warned us, it has no clear direction. Waste of good music.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Just watched Ep 19 of TTGL.

I'm not feeling this second half to be honest.
I didn't understand the hype until I reached the second half. Honestly, this show has been a grind for me until 17. I'm so much more intrigued by the in-fighting and increasing scale of battle. Watching 24 now and think I'll go all night to finish.

Aki-at

Anyone else having issues with CrunchyRoll freezing today? I'm going through "NEW GAME!" (enjoying it by the way) but today videos on the site keep freezing up for me. I've already tried switching browser and video card drivers :(

So it wasn't just me! I was having trouble watching both My Love Story and Occult Academy. Guess it was just a problem on their end.

Quasar

Nothing a good old VPN can't fix.

Sure. I've long used a dns proxy to watch stuff. Not that I imagine there will be a whole lot that animelab doesnt stream. It does raise the question though of the value of having both CR and animelab. Dubs is one reason, and the animelab app seems better supported (on android and androidtv at least).

Cornbread78

Re:Zero 16

Roger Smith: "Negotiating requires good faith. In this case, it was lacking on both sides."

Re:Zero 17

Damn, that was a double whammy on both what the White Whale does and the
Unseen Hands.
Now we finally know what they are, but is still secretive on the Cult itself.

You stopped an episode short; need episode 18 reaction, stat!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom