• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable Episode 24:

Dexter Morgan wishes he thought of this or did anything other then what happened, yes I am still bitter.

Exalted

Alderamin episode 10

Great episode, not much action in this one , but had some nice story and character progression. That finger scene at the beginning was quite something. Our MC has finally been given the opportunity to lead an army for the first time, without the interference of the old incompetent commanders.
Next week should be great, since it t looks like the enemy army also has an young genius strategist to oppose our MC. Will be nice to see both of the supposed great strategist try to outmanoeuvre each other.
b69dPRw.png

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Alderamin Episode 10:

Oh hey, part of the title is starting to make sense now. Anyway, things have shifted into The Great Game now and of course the rival character is a white haired pretty boy.

Alderamin 10

I think this show will classify as 'the best show you aren't watching' for many in here. They really should give it a watch and it's a shame. As far as military anime go it's fairly entertaining and highly reminiscent of Valkyrie Chronicles.

The episode itself was very good. Even when there's no war scenes it's super entertaining to just go through the dialogue and the interaction of the 'knights' alongside Ikta being Ikta.

Next episode looks interesting with him finally facing a worthy strategic opponent.

Alderamin Episode 10:

Oh hey, part of the title is starting to make sense now. Anyway, things have shifted into The Great Game now and of course the rival character is a white haired pretty boy.

If we didn't expect the simple contrast of 'black hair and lazy' to 'white hair and unsleeping' then I don't know what we should expect lmao

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Indeed though I think that symbolism is a bit weak for what the series is going for since this is very clearly one of those shows with complex grey morality on all sides.

Chase17

Aldermin 1-6
Pretty good so far. Yatori/Ikta character dynamic works well. I like how the reward was pretty much the worse possible thing for Ikta. I wonder how long it will take for Mathew and the blue haired girl to make any impact.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 10

I know the show has great action, but this is Urobuchi at his best where the action might be amazing when there's any, but the dialogue heavy scenes can be just as entertaining (FZ Archer discussion of being evil aside).

I don't know what to expect at this point with the Enigmatic Gail, which is something to say because the show has made it clear he isn't someone to be trusted in the slightest, but at the same time the writing could just as easily have his excuse to be believable and then we're left with a thief with a heart of gold where it counts. But I don't know what to believe. Regardless it has been a fantastic ride. Shame Lady Dan Fei couldn't keep still.

Eumi

You know, Jotaro probably could have stopped Kira if he hadn't spent so long thinking up that dumb watch line.

And so we say farewell to Bowie. Coming up next: more dumb bullshit.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
91 Days Episode 9:

Not surprisingly things are a lot more low key after last week but things are still happening at a rapid pace and the end is going to be interesting to follow through next week.

Exalted

91 Episode 9

Liked the tone in this episode, was much less anime like and more like a proper crime show, than usually.
It really helps that the eccentric Fango is gone, who just killed any atmosphere every time he appeared.
Didn't really have much action, but had multiple tense moments, and the story progressed nicely.

Chase17

91 Days 9
There are doing a good job of building up the suspense for the reveal to Nero. Wonder how Ganzo will play into things now.

91 Days 09

God I love this show. The low-key episodes thrive on atmosphere and tension alone. We finally learn the identity of the mysterious 4th person, and it's disappointing in the sense that it's cliche'd, but at the same time the show wasn't here to tell you an out of the box mafia tale with twists and turns outside of cutting some expectations short as we saw last episode. It still is a standard mafia revenge story at the end of the day. And that's fine, just fine.

Don't know whether the show will end up having 11 full episodes or 12 with the recap episode we had not too long ago. But regardless if it ends at 11 episodes the pacing has been fantastic and I can't say it'd feel rushed. Avilio has been playing the long game the whole time. And if it ends sooner, it's all deserved

91 Episode 9
snipy.

Come on man, spoiler that shit. As to the your comment
he may have been the most anime but he was also fairly entertaining

Exalted

It doesn't matter, if anyone is going to watch it in the future, you spoiler major events like that particularly character deaths in general.

That's just silly, almost nobody does that here or in any other TV shows threads, with the only exception when all episodes air at the same time. Would be quite hard to discuss about currently airing episodes, without not spoiling something that happened in a previous episode.

Also i never said he was dead , i only mentioned he was gone , which is not the same , and can mean more things than just death and isn't permanent, and does't spoil you on the interpretation of that word without watching it yourself .

If you're really going to leave character deaths out in the open then all to you. Nobody is saying spoiler the whole discussion of the episode. But saying "well with x major character dead" is a fairly big spoiler if someone isn't caught up and is just browsing the anime thread. It seems like common decency to at the least spoiler that and leave the rest without the spoiler tags.

OTs tend to be fair game to leave spoilers out in the open, but it's not like this is the first time people are putting spoilers on someone dying.

Wanderer5

I not usually into mafia stories, but this has been quite a enjoyable anime that stands out partly cause well it doesn't feel so much anime, and more like something on HBO or such.:p

91 Days #9

Well so it
was the uncle that sent the letter eh? Probably kind of cliche but still feels surprising anyway. Sucks for Corteo for not being able to escape too.
Pretty chill episode but with some nice information as the series is moving closer to its climax.

Lautaro

Jojo 24

Dio is still my numbah one.

91 Days 9

Well,
we now know Ganzo sent the letter but do we know if he's actually the fourth man? I still think there could be some twists there.

Alderamin 10

Yep, this is a LN. Ikta is too much of a Gary Stu
(saving people from rape just like Kirito and cutting a finger more than once like its nothing)
but I still enjoy the show because MC is funny and I set my expectations accordingly.

Taruranto

Oh, It's one of "those" episodes.

I mean, maybe QUALITY and people teleporting is not a good idea when you are trying to build tension.

Oh shit, it's the boss, quick Angelo, work your best poker face!

Nevermind.

The mystery of the 4th man should be interesting, but since the suspects list is quite limited, as well most of the cast quite underdeveloped, it's very hard to care. Yeah, so it's that dude. Yeah, I want to know his reasons, but I can say it really changed much.

Thud

Jojo Faces are Breakable 24

Pretty amazing that Kira can up with this plan and excute it perfectly in a few minutes.

Poor
Aya
:(

Berserk 11

Oh god. The crowd was so bad, Mozgus fight wasn't interesting.

But Puck saved the day.

This was one of the best if not the best episode in the JoJo franchise.

Maybe if Soejima had storyboarded it and not just directed it. He brought his usual flair to the colors and artistry of the episode, but the storyboard itself was more pedestrian than his style. The animation lacking polish in some places hurt the episode a little as well.

Only a little, of course. It was a great episode, mainly because Kira is such a great character and the heroes are playing off him well.

Jarmel

Banned
Maybe if Soejima had storyboarded it and not just directed it. He brought his usual flair to the colors and artistry of the episode, but the storyboard itself was more pedestrian than his style. The animation lacking polish in some places hurt the episode a little as well.

Only a little, of course. It was a great episode, mainly because Kira is such a great character and the heroes are playing off him well.

Yes the storyboarding and animation were somewhat subpar for the show but the writing makes up for that in spades. There were some good transitions though and some scenes like Killer Queen raising its finger were pretty well animated.

Kira's VA did a stellar job too with the acting bit.

Line_HTX

Alderamin 10

I think this show will classify as 'the best show you aren't watching' for many in here. They really should give it a watch and it's a shame. As far as military anime go it's fairly entertaining and highly reminiscent of Valkyrie Chronicles.

I'm RT'ing stuff from their official account. Does that count as watching?

;P

Jintor

Critical Discourse time

It can be easy to focus on the lightning rods of criticism for anime and manga. Panty shots? Check. Unfeasibly large-breasted characters? Check. Sexualized children? Check. All of the above in a non-erotic series? Check. There is of course value in discussing these things, but they are low-hanging fruit; most anime fans will understand or agree with people taking issue with these elements. The conversation becomes more complicated–and more heated–once we address aspects of anime that many viewers actively enjoy, consider an integral part of the anime experience and can’t imagine being a problem.

So let’s talk critically about cuteness. Specifically, let’s talk about a subset of cuteness in Japanese 2D artistry: moé.

However, adapting certain anime to better suit these adults while still appealing to its original audience means giving children messages about what women are and should be which are rooted in deliberate unreality. This leads to some uncomfortable promotional imagery and merchandise decisions for such children’s television. Similarly, moé gives us a large number of shows featuring well motivated female protagonists, large female casts, and a variety of relationships between female characters, effortlessly passing the Bechdel Test on a scale we can only dream of for western pop culture. However, it is all framed to cater to the male gaze–even if this is through the characters’ behaviors rather than their physical attributes.

(Please note that as often occurs on the internet the author of the original piece immediately attracted a harassment campaign against her for this relatively light analysis on moe's bullshit. Don't do that and fight against it if you see it, please.)

So I don't think the article itself is spectacularly new to anyone in here, since being honest, I think people in here (especially those of you who have greater knowledge of what girls/women actually experience in day-to-day-life, either through living arrangements or actually being a woman) probably already know most of the points this brings up. TLDR: Moe is infantalising of its characters and non-threatening for the most part. But some of the twitter chatter is interesting:

https://twitter.com/mockman/status/774355797526532097 said:
The sad truth: moe is *defined* by the male gaze. Without the male gaze skeevin' it up, moe is just shojo where nothing happens

What's interesting/bad is in moe's conflation of womanhood w/this infantilization. Are aggressive guys in BL the inverse? Hmm

This old-ass interview with former Gainax President Toshio Okada, Professor Kaichiro Morikawa and the artist Takashi Murakami is also interesting:

As is this translation of Gundam creator Tomino's thoughts on male/female Gundam fans from 1998 (original JPN interview here)

Alderamin - 10

Exactly what this show needed, a strong antagonist to counter the protagonist. Ikta is quite the thinker and strategist, a gary stu by our standards. Nothing really so far has quite measured up to his plans, even if there were 1 or 2 setbacks. For the first time we see an opposing strategist that could be on an even field with him on the coming battles.

kewlmyc

Haven't touched Alderamin since it seems better to just ignore LN based shows until it's proved to be worth the watch. Done me good so far this year, only really watched Konosuba and Re:Zero and ignored everything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom